Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Iwata is now CEO of Nintendo of America!

Dcubed

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=38483

NINTENDO CO., LTD. ANNOUNCES PROMOTION OF NOA CHAIRMAN TATSUMI KIMISHIMA TO NCL MANAGING DIRECTOR

Led Nintendo of America Since 2002

REDMOND, Wash., April 24, 2013 – Nintendo Co., Ltd. (NCL) today announced a planned promotion for Tatsumi Kimishima, current chairman and CEO of Nintendo of America (NOA) and a director of its parent Nintendo Co., Ltd. Subject to shareholder approval, he will become NCL managing director, and transfer from NOA in Redmond, Wash., to NCL headquarters in Kyoto, Japan. In his new position, he will assume the roles of general manager of Corporate Analysis and Administration, and general manager of the General Affairs Division. These titles are currently held by Yoshihiro Mori and Masaharu Matsumoto respectively, both of whom are retiring. Kimishima will assume his new duties in Kyoto later this summer.

Kimishima was named to his current position at NOA in 2006. He first joined Nintendo in Japan in 2000, and was subsequently named president of Pokémon USA in 2001, before moving on to become president of the Nintendo of America subsidiary in 2002. Previously, he spent 27 years at Sanwa Bank of Japan, with multiple postings in North America and Central America.

Many of his current responsibilities, including the CEO title, will be assumed by Global President Satoru Iwata. The move will support the company’s unified global strategy, allow streamlined decision making and enhance Nintendo's organizational agility in the current competitive environment. Reggie Fils-Aime will continue in his role as president and COO of NOA, reporting to Iwata.

Other changes announced to Nintendo’s global board of directors can be found at http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U™ and Wii™ home consoles, and Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ families of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4 billion video games and more than 651 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™ and Wii systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at http://www.nintendo.com.

Woah! Unexpected! Maybe this'll fix the Virtual Console release schedule! :D

"Resign as CEO!? Pfft, I'll become CEO of NOA AND NCL and you'll just have to deal with it!"

Edited by Dcubed

Maybe Iwata made himself NOA CEO in order to ensure that Angry Eyes Kirby never happens again? :hehe:

Trust Iwata to make a typical out-of-freaking-nowhere move that is utterly characteristic of Nintendo. They never do what you expect :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

A sign of change in the west? Will they finally start to put NoE on the map? Will things improve in the west for the wii u? Will we finally get pikmin 3?!?!?!?!

Eh? NoE has been better than NoA for years.

Certainly didn't expect this news to come from the FR. Pretty sure Reggie already had to report to Iwata and it was NoJ that controlled what came out in America anyway?

Eh? NoE has been better than NoA for years.

Certainly didn't expect this news to come from the FR. Pretty sure Reggie already had to report to Iwata and it was NoJ that controlled what came out in America anyway?

Yeah, I was half-joking - I don't see the immediate implications of this in the current day and age. Shall see though.

Yeah, I was half-joking - I don't see the immediate implications of this in the current day and age. Shall see though.

Ah right, didn't pick up on that, sorry! It's too early in the morning for me. *Goes back to sleep*

The screams from GAF are too much to handle.

Seriously, this may be a good thing. As much as you may want to dispute it, Iwata handles Japan well. Now, he has more control over NOA so that'd sort America out

I find it odd how much you let random internet posters' opinions bother you. I don't get why you always end up saying 'People are already complaining' as if it's a bad thing, it's the bloody internet dude!

Surely he was kind of running NOA anyway, right? I thought NOA and NOE still had to answer to NOJ and have never really been that independent.

Reggie used to report to Kimishima, who then used to report to Iwata.

This cuts out the middle man as Iwata now gets to oversee and approve every decision Reggie makes directly. Not sure about NOE though, I think Shibata reports directly to Iwata anyway.

Hopefully it means more global releases done more quickly and a consistently strong global approach to things like Virtual Console (none of this nonsense that NOA has been pulling on 3DS and Wii U, with their pathetic scheduling and the whole OP Rainfall fiasco! - with hopefully NOA & NOE releasing more games more frequently like in Japan!)

I find it odd how much you let random internet posters' opinions bother you. I don't get why you always end up saying 'People are already complaining' as if it's a bad thing, it's the bloody internet dude!

I just have a low tolerance for these sorts of things. It cannot be helped, but rest assured, my statement was in jest. I haven't had much time to visit GAF today as I have been covering a new game for the site

I just have a low tolerance for these sorts of things. It cannot be helped, but rest assured, my statement was in jest. I haven't had much time to visit GAF today as I have been covering a new game for the site

Speaking of which, what do you think of Rumble U? Better than the Wii & 3DS games? Worth a pickup for someone who thought that the other two games were too shallow to be worth my time, but had the potential for brainless co-op fun?

He has his work cut out for him with NoJ, and isn't particularly inspiring in that position (He presided over probably the weakest last years of a console ever with the Wii and two poor console launches - one he managed to salvage...I'd say that was to his credit but the Wii U shows absolutely no lessons were learnt), so I'd love to know what the logic behind this is.

He's no Yoichi Wada, but he definitely doesn't seem competent enough to lead Nintendo.

Speaking of which, what do you think of Rumble U? Better than the Wii & 3DS games? Worth a pickup for someone who thought that the other two games were too shallow to be worth my time, but had the potential for brainless co-op fun?

This one is less shallow than the Wii one, but more than the 3DS

I thought Reggie was CEO of NoA. What is he then?

Reggie was Chief Operating Officer and President. He answered to someone, now former CEO of NOA Tatsumi Kimishima, who then answered to Iwata.

They're now cutting out the middleman and having Iwata answer to himself