NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

I have the N64 version sitting on my shelf as well. :D

I love that game and will certainly purchase it just to play it on the gamepad.

I have the N64 version sitting on my shelf twice over thanks to the collector's edition. :)

Likewise I'll still be picking up Ocarina of Time again, it's a monumental game. besides I have the week off so I have no excuses and of course I'll be covering it anyway. :D

Today though being that I've finally hit 30 I wanted to do something special to mark the occasion, so this week I'm finally properly catching up with VC Weekly by doing a "VC Week" so I can get back up to date again, so hopefully there will be an article a day - VCW #341 went up yesterday featuring Mega Man Zero 4 and Mega Man Battle Network 2 - and today it's the turn of Paper Mario!

Now after scanning back I've come to realise that the last time I actually reviewed the game was way back in July 2007 when my dear grandfather passed away - R.I.P. Ivor - and so at the time of writing I dedicated it to his life, my grandmother also passed away months later - R.I.P. Betty - who I also dedicated an edition to, these were VCW#21 and #64 respectively. I'll still be using that same review as a basis but I plan to expand on it greatly and I will then dedicate VCW #342 to both of my grandparents who I miss dearly, especially at times like these, thus I thought it would be nice to commemorate them in this way - people might think it a little corny perhaps? But regardless of this I'm not fussed - :indeed: so today...

I shall attempt to play through and review the original Paper Mario in a day, perhaps not a normal thing to do on ones 30th :heh: but... it's something I want to do and feel like I need to.

Either way I plan to post the review later but I am going to try and get as far as I can, plus its been so long since I last played it anyway so this should prove interesting to say the least. : peace:

TL;DR - I'm officially older so I'm going to play through an epic game to celebrate life.

I shall attempt to play through and review the original Paper Mario in a day.

I take it you're playing the Wii U version? Do me a favour and try playing it on the gamepad. Even just the start of it. I'm curious to see if you have the same flickering problems that I do.

Right at the start, when you are in the castle, walk to the top of some of the stairs ( I think its where the Toads are guarding the door ) and walk left and right. I can always make the game go light and dark at that spot.

Happy Birthday, dude! (sent you a IM before I wrote this but i'll happily wish you a happy birthday again. :D )

I take it you're playing the Wii U version? Do me a favour and try playing it on the gamepad. Even just the start of it. I'm curious to see if you have the same flickering problems that I do.

Right at the start, when you are in the castle, walk to the top of some of the stairs ( I think its where the Toads are guarding the door ) and walk left and right. I can always make the game go light and dark at that spot.

Happy Birthday, dude! (sent you a IM before I wrote this but i'll happily wish you a happy birthday again. :D )

I most certainly am, so of course I will try this, covering how it plays on the gamepad will also be an important part of the review so it will be interesting to see. :)

Thanks again for your birthday wishes, I have a feeling this is going to be an excellent day. :D

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Advance Wars 2 are both on the Wii U VC this week

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Advance Wars 2 are both on the Wii U VC this week

Wait, as well as Zelda, right?

Wow! What a week this is turning out to be! :D

*gets cracking with Paper Mario*

Wait, as well as Zelda, right?

Yep, all 3. They should learn to space VC games better though as some weeks we have nothing.

Edited by Wii

Yep. All three titles.

Yep, all 3.

Good stuff.

I'm not too fussed about the other two but was worried OOT had been ditched.

Having said that though, it is good for anyone who has ever wanted to play Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, I've been on the lookout for a reasonably priced copy for a while but it only ever seems to be going up in value lately so I will definitely snap it up on the VC. :)

Yep, all 3. They should learn to space VC games better though as some weeks we have nothing.

To be fair, that's very uncommon.

Wow! What a week!

More like this please!

Let's just hope that OoT is 60hz...

Wow! What a week!

More like this please!

Let's just hope that OoT is 60hz...

This is the European version of the game with corrected aspect ratio.

Well, there it is

Edited by Serebii

Of course using the 60hz EU version included on the GCN bonus disc made too much sense, of course it did :(

I'm at this exact point now, posted to miiverse as well, all seems fine though...

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Let me know if this is the spot or not, off to make a cuppa, I can always add more screens to the post. : peace:

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon?! Megaton. Was wondering the other day if/when they would release that, wasn't expecting it so soon. Guessing this is to appease us for a little while since If/Fates came out in Japan last week.

Just been checking out the Virtual Console offerings. I love that Kirby Mouse Attack is on there! Man, I loved that game when I had it on my DS. This is making me feel old though. I was at college when I got that. :blank:

Anywho. I checked out a video for Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards... man that game looks rough! Is it any good? I never did play it but the screenshots on the eShop and accompanying video didn't do much to convince me! :heh:

I'm at this exact point now, posted to miiverse as well, all seems fine though...

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Let me know if this is the spot or not, off to make a cuppa, I can always add more screens to the post. : peace:

Yeah, that's the spot. I would walk left and right and it would go slightly darker and then lighter. It's very annoying and seemed to be a lot worse on Kirby.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

They need to just send a patch out that adds "colour filter" to the bloody options. Do it now while there's only 5 N64 games.

Great news, definitely want to play through Advance Wars 2 again... but at the minute it's game crazy so may wait for the summer drought to kick in!!

I think I set myself quite a target in completing and reviewing Paper Mario in a day... Indeed I knew it was something which I couldn't realistically hope to achieve but I have more than made some progress after playing for between six and seven hours, I only managed to rescue one Star Spirit though I have done quite a bit around Toad Town and have started to reformulate and expand on my original review which looking back, the basis for the review was there when I played it on the Wii VC but there's clearly a lot of detail that I missed out on which I'm more than making up for now. :)

So I shall put even more effort into it so I can make a more substantial review for tomorrow, it has still been a good day though and I'm glad to have spent it doing something I love. : peace:

I've always maintained that Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door is my favourite in the series, but there is a huge amount to be said for the original game, especially taking into consideration its time of release; Paper Mario is still every bit the classic it has always been hailed as and it shows really well in the Wii U Virtual Console version in a way that I wasn't quite expecting, it feels at home here perhaps more than it did in any other previous release.

In any case I'm very impressed with this version and so I will aim to give it the very best review that it deserves. :D

Of course using the 60hz EU version included on the GCN bonus disc made too much sense, of course it did :(

You only have yourself to blame for your disappointment.

Multiple languages equals 50 Hz. Why do you constantly fail to understand that?

You only have yourself to blame for your disappointment.

Multiple languages equals 50 Hz. Why do you constantly fail to understand that?

Because in this case, a 60hz multi-language version already exists.

Just like with DKC 3 (where the US version actually had the EU languages as well), they could've very easily have released the 60hz multi-language version. Instead, they pull a DKC 2 for no good reason :mad:

I don't see any reason why they couldn't let us choose. If there's a 60 hz version let us in the UK and Ireland pick it if we want. It's not like the games are shipped all around Europe. They're games sitting on a server. And for games with multiple languages with 50 hz and 60 hz versions what's the reasoning for picking 50 hz?

Edit: Australia and New Zealand should get the choice too.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't let us choose. If there's a 60 hz version let us in the UK and Ireland pick it if we want.

Let everyone, I say. Anyone in Europe might prefer the 60Hz version, even if it's not in their language.