NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: The Official Thread For The Ultimate Game

Hold up so if this time thing works do HAVE TO set the time to midnight and wait? Could you not set it to like 5 mins before the time you want it to be so you don't have to wait like 40 odd mins if I wanted to try for table 6?
You don't need to wait, but I'm still a bit confused by this.

I read on GameFaqs that you need to set the system time to midnight, and then you can set it to a couple of minutes before the required time for your table choice.

On your wiiu internal clock (while not connected to wifi/internet at all) Set the date to 21/1/2012

This has to be done due to the RNG tests carried out, the date was set to this.

Then after you set the date to 21/1/2012 you need to set the internal clock to a few minutes before the clock time for the table you are after.

When you click OK for setting the internal clock time, have a stop watch ready to start simultaneously to keep check on the time.

But if you don't actually go into the game until the second time change, then why can't you just set the system time to the one that's 2 minutes before the one you want in the first place? ::shrug::heh:

*EDIT*

:idea: Oh right... You only set the date at first, and then the time.

I need to learn to read. :heh:

Edited by RedShell
I'm a wolly

I read on GameFaqs that you need to set the system time to midnight, and then you can set it to a couple of minutes before the required time for your table choice.

But if you don't actually go into the game until the second time change, then why can't you just set the system time to the one that's 2 minutes before the one you want in the first place? ::shrug::heh:

Probably because the RNG changes tables every second or so. These times just so happen to be the ones that were tested maybe?

Knowing nothing about charms and tables and such; this is all sounding like an unnecessarily retarded decision. Is it something to worry about? Ultimately what would the worst charm table do to me and what would the best one do?
I *think* the worst ones give you less customization options on weapons; and the best give more options. Anyone confirm/sum it up for some laymenz?
Yeah, they're basically a way for you to increase certain skills:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Charm_Guide

You don't need them to complete the game or anything, but they can be very useful, especially towards the end of the game.

Probably because the RNG changes tables every second or so. These times just so happen to be the ones that were tested maybe?
Nope... still don't get it. :heh:

Anyway, I'll give it a go and see what happens. :hehe:

This sounds like a disastrous decision, why would they do it? Can anyone explain why they would do this?

I might give the charm table a go then. I doubt I will ever be a master of this game, but I don't want to be crippled from the off!

Hmm, someone on the interwebz posted a very good question: can you even get a cursed table in the first place? So far we have zero confirmations of this, so it could just be something that was left in the game, but isn't actually used. The Americans get their game tomorrow, so we should have plenty of information on this when Friday arrives... (those handy little guinea pigs)

This sounds like a disastrous decision, why would they do it? Can anyone explain why they would do this?
It actually seems like they just made a mistake, I can't even begin to believe that it was intentionally designed that way as it makes no sense whatsoever. :hmm:

Wonder if it's something that could be patched too?

Miiverse petition time? :laughing:

I'm guessing here, but I imagine they're using the clock for a seed for the RNG(psuedo randomness and what not). There might be something about setting the clock to midnight that resets some aspect that it uses(day tickover maybe?), or it might just be the method tried/tested or the only way it worked.

Hmm, someone on the interwebz posted a very good question: can you even get a cursed table in the first place? So far we have zero confirmations of this, so it could just be something that was left in the game, but isn't actually used. The Americans get their game tomorrow, so we should have plenty of information on this when Friday arrives... (those handy little guinea pigs)
Interesting.

Yeah, it's good that we can see what the Americans discover regarding this situation in advance. :hehe:

Very good point.

What exactly has changed between now and the wii version? I'm assuming this occurs in the 3DS version, not just the wii u version?

Nintendolife Review:

"Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is the perfect name choice, as this takes the already exceptional Wii title and adds a daunting amount of new content and a HD sheen. It's also not a game for everyone, and those that go in with eyes closed may be in for a nasty surprise at the level of commitment and skill required.

If you're up for the task, however, it's hard to put down. Some elements feel a little phoned-in — such as some ugly clipping, poor textures and the 3DS touch screen ratio on the GamePad — yet they're small complaints against the whole package. While we may dream of what a fresh new entry designed ground-up for Wii U could accomplish, this does deliver an engrossing experience that is completely unique on the system. Those that missed Monster Hunter Tri but like the concept should pick this up without delay, and those that enjoyed the original should also do the same — the quest is practically never-ending, and that's absolutely fine by us." 9/10

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/monster_hunter_3_ultimate

Very good point.

What exactly has changed between now and the wii version? I'm assuming this occurs in the 3DS version, not just the wii u version?

Not sure if Tri had the tables or not, but in Portable 3rd they reset every time you started a new session. Now they're set in stone the moment you press "new game".

Also, about the charms: the game revolves around armour skills, which give you different boosts depending on what you have. Most of these are gotten straight from the armours themselves, if you have a full set. You can also put jewels in your armour piece and weapon slots to get additional skills. The charm is like an additional armour piece with some skill value, like handicraft+4, and it can have slots too for jewels. So in the best scenario, if you have the right charm, you can get one or two extra armor skills for your combination.

So basically, it's just the most hc people salivating over what über charm they might want to have. Still, there's no guarantee they will ever even see these pieces... xD

Not sure if Tri had the tables or not, but in Portable 3rd they reset every time you started a new session. Now they're set in stone the moment you press "new game".
Yeah, apparently Tri used the reset system too.

Just spotted this on Neogaf:

Another megaton: you can eat after selecting a quest!
Glad they fixed that. :D

Gah! How can it only be Monday?! I feel like ive been waiting forever for this game lol. Im really glad and truely greatfull for all the experts in the game posting all their findings about the tables, like a lot of the others im just looking to avoid a cursed table but i already have an idea of which one im going for since ill be using a Great Sword.

Blimey, all this talk of tables and charms, feel like I will be lucky to just get it switched on!!

Can't see myself doing anything other than just getting playing straight away and seeing how my luck fares, love that there is this depth to it all though!

Knowing nothing about charms and tables and such; this is all sounding like an unnecessarily retarded decision. Is it something to worry about? Ultimately what would the worst charm table do to me and what would the best one do?

I'll try explian.

When making different armour there are various parts that you will make indiviually

Helmet

Body

Arms

Waist

Legs

Each part would give various "skill points" of certain skills depending on the type of armour. If the total points of one skill adds up to a certain total (differs for most skills usually, 10 or 15) then when you have those armour parts equiped you will have this/those extra skills on your character.

You might also have "negetive" skill points that can give you an "anti-skill" if you accumulate enough negetive points.

If you made a full set of armour based on one monster you would likely have a few different.

eg:

Rathian Armour

200px-Rathian-Blademaster.png

Skills:

Fire Res +10 (Increases the armours resistence to fire attacks by 10)

Health +20 (Increases your Maximum HP by 20)

This is a very basic set. Obviously different sets will have different skills.

It is also possible to mix and match different armour parts from different monsters (or different armour "ranks" from the same Monsters... ie: when you reach HR30 you gain access to harder versions of monsters you fought before, these will have rarer reward items that you can use to make "+" armours eg: Rathian Armour+) to try to maximise the skill points on each part to customise the skills you want to have.

Aswell as that armour parts (and weapons) can have "Slots"

You can make (or be rewarded with) various Gems that you can place in these slots.

Gems will have extra "skill points" so if you have enough slots and the right gems you can either increase the power of a skill you already have (eg: like on that Rathian Armour above, if you added 5 more Fire Resist points you get "Fire Res +15")

Or you could "gem out" an "anti-skill" that your full armour set may have.

Or you could add a totally new skill that your armour doesn't have to add to the skills you already had.

This is where the Charms come in. You can only equip one Charm at a time but Charms can have a lot of skill points for various skills. Some Charms might even have skill points for 2 different Skills types or even positive points for one skill and negetive points for another.

Basically with the right charm it becomes easier to add a new skill to your armour set that the set doesn't already have. If the charm has enough points for a particular skill and you have enough slots open you might even be able to add 2 or even 3 new skills to you armour.

Charms can also have slots on them too for adding gems to the charms.

So basically the Charms are there to add an extra bit of dept for those who want to try to maximise there skill sets and have different armours for different situations.

If you ended up on a shitty charm table (or didn't use them at all) it is still possible to do some costumisation of skills with just the armour and weapon slots and mixing and matching of armour parts.

For most it wouldn't be a big deal unless you really plan to go to town on trying to costumise your armour skills.

EDIT:

I'm prolly gonna try the time trick @Ville posted mainly to avoid the bad charm tables. If I mess up and don't end up on the table I tried to be on it won't bother me.

Edited by Mokong

Nice of Eurogamer to break the European embargo... :blank:

... N-europe's review will be up tomorrow. ;)

Still, nice to see that it's getting decent scores everywhere, it surely deserves it. :)

Eurogamer Italy

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is definitely one of the best Wii U exclusives. The gameplay is deep, the number of missions is huge and thanks to the online feature it's the best version of the third generation of Monster Hunter. If only Capcom had taken advantage of the console capabilities, we would be standing in front of a masterpiece. 80/100

Seems that ONM gave the WiiU version 79%, then did a second review of the 3DS version and gave that 88%. Like wtf... o_O

£34.18 from theHut:) , where are you guys buying from

i think as allot is re used 8/10 is a fair score, roll on friday

Edited by yesteryeargames

On your wiiu internal clock (while not connected to wifi/internet at all) Set the date to 21/1/2012

This has to be done due to the RNG tests carried out, the date was set to this.

Then after you set the date to 21/1/2012 you need to set the internal clock to a few minutes before the clock time for the table you are after.

When you click OK for setting the internal clock time, have a stop watch ready to start simultaneously to keep check on the time.

*EDIT*

:idea: Oh right... You only set the date at first, and then the time.

I need to learn to read. :heh:

So you're saying I also need to have my WiFi turned off when I do this?

And what is "RNG"?

So I can just set the date first and the time to midnight and press ok.

Then go back in and change the time to a few mins before what I want then press ok and start my stop watch at the same time?

And then I got into the game and just hover over "New Game" till my stop watch starts beeping?

There's no way that I'm messing with the clock on my Wii U for the sake of these 'Charm Charts' maybe I don't quite fully understand their importance yet but I got by quite happily for sixty-plus hours without using them, I'll most likely start using them soon though but it doesn't sound like not using them is exactly game-breaking at this point.

Really tempted to get this! Never played a Monster Hunter game before but this sounds like a good starting point :)

Out of interest, does the Wii U version feature off TV play? I only play handhelds in bed so tempted to just get the Wii U version if it has off-TV play. That and I can play online of course.

So you're saying I also need to have my WiFi turned off when I do this?

And what is "RNG"?

So I can just set the date first and the time to midnight and press ok.

Then go back in and change the time to a few mins before what I want then press ok and start my stop watch at the same time?

And then I got into the game and just hover over "New Game" till my stop watch starts beeping?

Pretty much, yeah.

Don't think you even need to worry about setting the time to midnight at first, just the date to 21/1/2012.

RNG stands for Random Number Generator.