NEurope
bob

The Great Thread About Walking on Stairs: One Step Downwards, Two Steps Up.

People who get in a lift to go down.

Are they not affected by gravity? Do they attempt to use stairs but just hover over the first step, incapable of moving down without mechanical help?

Are they not affected by gravity? Do they attempt to use stairs but just hover over the first step, incapable of moving down without mechanical help?

If I took the stairs to do downstairs after work, I'd miss my bus.

Anything over 4-5 floors is acceptable i suppose. But there are people in the library i'm in who get in the lift to go down two floors (for which it is quicker to use the stairs, i checked).

I get annoyed at people who go 'up' the same distance, but i suppose at least that can be hard work for some lazy people.

I just get annoyed very easily when i'm in the library surrounded by students.

People who are annoyed by ridiculous things

#cough #bob

I can get annoyed at non-ridiculous things too!

Genocide for instance, what's all that about eh? Doesn't that just get your goat?

Why don't you use the stairs? You lazy fucker.

If I took the stairs to do downstairs after work, I'd miss my bus.

You need to walk faster. I've never been beaten by a lift.

You need to walk faster. I've never been beaten by a lift.

The stairs are also on the opposite side of the building, so you have to walk the length of the building twice.

Stairs are fine, as long as they aren't the annoying type with too many steps placed close together. Really fucks up your rhythm.

Also, stairs on leg-workout day are horrible. You're at the top and you think all is good, and then you take the first step and it's like this:

- from about 1:40 onwards.

Your legs feel clunky and heavy. Horrible. Going UP is even worse.

Exactly because of gravity, walking downwards is actually harder than walking straight ahead. That being said, I personally like letting gravity take over a bit on the way down (and before anyone asks, yes, that does inded mean I let myself fall and tumble all the way down - obviously).

Exactly because of gravity, walking downwards is actually harder than walking straight ahead. That being said, I personally like letting gravity take over a bit on the way down (and before anyone asks, yes, that does inded mean I let myself fall and tumble all the way down - obviously).

You're always letting gravity take you down, that's the only way you can get down stairs. Your legs can't pull you down, you're just relaxing your muscles and letting gravity take you down (and obviously controlling how much).

You're always letting gravity take you down, that's the only way you can get down stairs. Your legs can't pull you down, you're just relaxing your muscles and letting gravity take you down (and obviously controlling how much).

Ah, fair point. In that case I should've said I like to let gravity take extra control.

Ah, fair point. In that case I should've said I like to let gravity take extra control.

I don't like that. I'm always scared when running down a hill.

I've often fell down the stairs, but that's falling backwards and landing on my coccyx.

I also fall upstairs a lot.

I also fall upstairs more often :heh: By which I mean I never tripped when going downstairs, only up.

I was about 10 years old and I fell down the stairs after tripping over a basketball. Would have been hilarious if I weren't me. But I was. And it hurt!

I laugh when I'm at a train station or something and there's one flight of stairs and you see a queue of about 20 people lining up for the lift, waiting to go up to the next floor. I wave at them from the top.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I'm not sure about this threadrip....it makes me look like some sort of stairs lunatic.

Anyway, back to interesting stairs stories.

The other day i was wearing some new shoes and took the stairs (obviously!) but these new shoes had a slightly different heel to my old pair, and therefore i found myself tumbling forward after having tripped by not quite clearing one of the stairs.

Luckily there was no-one else around, and i was able to quickly scurry up the rest of the flight and bundle to safety.

I read somewhere that an individual step only has to be a fraction of an inch higher than it's fellow step brethren to trip people up.

One time when I was in a rush to get in the car to go to school I slipped on a fake/toy money penny at the top of the stairs and just superman'd my way down, screw the stairs! You just need a good ol' study(and preferably soft) wall to break you and/or your fall at the bottom.

Regarding the whole lift vs. stairs debate - I feel like I don't encounter lift oppurtunities all that often, but mostly take the stairs anyway when I do?

I'm not sure about this threadrip....it makes me look like some sort of stairs lunatic.

Anyway, back to interesting stairs stories.

The other day i was wearing some new shoes and took the stairs (obviously!) but these new shoes had a slightly different heel to my old pair, and therefore i found myself tumbling forward after having tripped by not quite clearing one of the stairs.

Luckily there was no-one else around, and i was able to quickly scurry up the rest of the flight and bundle to safety.

I read somewhere that an individual step only has to be a fraction of an inch higher than it's fellow step brethren to trip people up.

I also fell down the stairs breaking in new shoes! I'd forgotten just quite how special I've been. Also terribly embarrassing when it goes wrong is running up stairs with your hands in your pockets. I think I've seen that thing about the steps though, there's a video of some famous subway stairs where one is like an inch out or something?

Stairs are the best as they rely only on your own body power to get you somewhere. Start relying on machines and sooner or later you're trapped in an M. Night Sahamamalahalan movie.

I generally take the stairs; I have a slight fear of being trapped in a lift, plus I can always use the exercise. It also actually tends to be a bit quicker when you move at a generally quick pace.

I once had quite a scary accident on a staircase, though luckily it could've gone a lot worse. It was last winter on the metal staircase up to my apartment; it was below zero outside, and as such the metal was incredibly slippery. There's a large doormat outside my door, though, so it wasn't until my foot touched the metal right the top of the staircase that I realised how slippery it was, and I fell halfway down before I managed to grab hold of the railing. I hurt my knee, but that was mostly it, and I feel lucky that I didn't seriously injure myself.

If i took the stairs to the office, i'd have to climb 14 or so flights to reach the 12th floor. Don't ask, we've got Lower Ground (where the lifts are to the upper floors), ground and mezzane before even reaching the 1st floor. I would take the stairs, but after doing a mile walk between my house to/from the train station and work.

I can beat the lift to the lower ground, but no chance of beating it up to the 12th.

Stairs are the best as they rely only on your own body power to get you somewhere. Start relying on machines and sooner or later you're trapped in an M. Night Sahamamalahalan movie.

I can imagine the sequel to The Happening being along those lines. THE STAIRS ARE REVOLTING.

It'll be better than the original anyway.

Stairs can be a pain in the arse when you're carrying things, such as shopping. Also, when they're wet or slippery cos of the recent ice...not fun.

I generally take the stairs; I have a slight fear of being trapped in a lift, plus I can always use the exercise. It also actually tends to be a bit quicker when you move at a generally quick pace.

I once had quite a scary accident on a staircase, though luckily it could've gone a lot worse. It was last winter on the metal staircase up to my apartment; it was below zero outside, and as such the metal was incredibly slippery. There's a large doormat outside my door, though, so it wasn't until my foot touched the metal right the top of the staircase that I realised how slippery it was, and I fell halfway down before I managed to grab hold of the railing. I hurt my knee, but that was mostly it, and I feel lucky that I didn't seriously injure myself.

I'm glad you're okay, I can't stand walking on those metal stairs, I always feel like I'm going to slip even when it's not icy.

The stairs at work are annoying as hell, they're just so tiny. So I usually take two at a time, but I've started to only do it when no one else is nearby, as it makes me look like a frog.

This one time, I had some new socks on, slipped right down my stairs at home. Fell flat on my arse and just slid all the way down. I'd just done my hair as well, so I felt like this lady:

Whilst not advised, traversing stairs with shoelaces undone is still safter than practicing the same madness on escalators by several magnitudes. Not only did I nearly die on the tube one time, but I came extremely close to causing dozens of commuters to sigh and look at me with great disappointment.

Whilst not advised, traversing stairs with shoelaces undone is still safter than practicing the same madness on escalators by several magnitudes. Not only did I nearly die on the tube one time, but I came extremely close to causing dozens of commuters to sigh and look at me with great disappointment.

Mate, to be king of the tube you need to take the stairs. Like literally, take the STAIRS. For some reason it ain't cool to do anymore now that we're grown and stuff but when I was a kid and my dad(and maybe my family too) took me to london, they'd get the escalator but me - FUCK THAT SHIT SLOWCOACHES I'M GONNA BEAT YOU ON THE STAIRS!

I always did too. It wasn't easy, it starts off all burst and shit but then you're tiring fast and the escalators catching up but no, you're gonna DO that shit! So you do, and you WIN.

Do it as an adult though and you're just that WEIRD GUY who decided to run up a ridiculous faux-mile of stairs when you could have stood still for a while or had a casual upward stroll at the cost of an 20 extra seconds. Despite your epic winning, you're apparently the 'loser'. Pay the 20 seconds man, pay the 20 seconds, forsake your childish dreams.

Ah man at most stations I'll take the stairs when I can. Usually I'm travelling London with a 30kg suitcase and the stairs are insurmountable. I forget the name of the station, but I think 3 N-E meets ago I walked half-way to hyde park then got on a tube, and the station itself was down a 600+spiral staircase. Everyone I passed was all "omg is it nearly the top?!"