NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

For what it's worth as well, using the Gamepad as a map doesn't necessarily mean that it's not going to use the Wiimote & Nunchuck either. It could be handled like how Pikmin 3 used a combination of the Wiimote & Chuck AND the Gamepad on the stand (in fact that wouldn't be far fetched at all, since Pikmin 3 also has a similar top-down map - even if it was just a 2D representation)

Having the two perspectives also lends itself to lots of potential for perspective based puzzles and a mix of touch screen controls too (top down view allowing for objects to be manipulated via the touch screen, while TV stuff gets controlled via Wiimote plus & Nunchuck anyone? :D)

Edited by Dcubed

I remember when they promised that for Twilight Princess. That, and that each dungeon was designed around different animals.

They said a lot of things about Twilight Princess that never came to pass, no wonder they're being as vague as they can be, now.

I remember when they promised that for Twilight Princess. That, and that each dungeon was designed around different animals.

They said a lot of things about Twilight Princess that never came to pass, no wonder they're being as vague as they can be, now.

Good point about Twilight Princess. That game went through huge development problems and when Aonuma came in his focus was on the dark/light world mechanic, so it's likely that the animal idea was dropped around then.

Me and @Zell were discussing the Zelda development cycle and how it takes so ridiculously long for them to actually make a Zelda game. For Skyward Sword to come out 5 years after Twilight is mind boggling.

Good point about Twilight Princess. That game went through huge development problems and when Aonuma came in his focus was on the dark/light world mechanic, so it's likely that the animal idea was dropped around then.

Me and @Zell were discussing the Zelda development cycle and how it takes so ridiculously long for them to actually make a Zelda game. For Skyward Sword to come out 5 years after Twilight is mind boggling.

I don't think we'd have the problem if Nintendo hadn't gotten themselves into this stupid situation of releasing Zelda's so late in a consoles life (it also doesn't help that their console lifecycles have been getting shorter and shorter lately).

It means that each Zelda requires a new engine.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask got it right. A beautiful Zelda to showcase the console and then a sequel a couple of years later.

Same with Mario Galaxy.

I don't think we'd have the problem if Nintendo hadn't gotten themselves into this stupid situation of releasing Zelda's so late in a consoles life (it also doesn't help that their console lifecycles have been getting shorter and shorter lately).

It means that each Zelda requires a new engine.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask got it right. A beautiful Zelda to showcase the console and then a sequel a couple of years later.

Same with Mario Galaxy.

I agree, the Zelda release schedule is so out of kilter with when Nintendo need Zelda to be released.

When is this latest Zelda title coming out? Late 2015? Or maybe even later than that? By then, the Wii U will probably be dead and buried! It wouldn't even surprise me that much if they pushed the release back and released it as a launch title for their next console, like they did with Twilight Princess.

In fact, did they even say the next Zelda is for Wii U? I remember them saying something like "Let's have a look at The Legend of Zelda" but I don't remember an actual promise it was on Wii U.

It was 2 years between Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, not 5... The two games did share many of the same staff, so yeah...

Likewise, Phantom Hourglass' development was pushed back in order to get Twilight Princess out quicker.

Aonuma further discusses Zelda Wii U’s open world

Eiji Aonuma, producer of Zelda Wii U, shared extensive comments to EDGE this month about the game’s open world without giving too much away.

EDGE started out by asking Aonuma about the challenges of adapting a linear design to a world that can be freely explored. He said in response:

"In the original Legend of Zelda, there was no clear way to lead the main character to his goal. It was something that we entrusted to the players to find by themselves. As the game later expanded into a franchise, the structure of the game worlds became more and more complex – especially with the introduction of 3D – making it necessary for us to point the player in the right direction. Consequently, progression in the games became more linear.

To recreate a similar experience to the original, we have to give the game world a simple structure that players can understand intuitively. In doing so, it’s very important that we make every aspect of the world feel real and physically connected, so that it’s doesn’t look fake.

We can achieve this thanks to the hardware features of Wii U, but to truly get a deep understanding of the game world, we also need a real map that depicts the world as it is. The GamePad is very effective for displaying this, and thus also [for] providing players with a constant hint on where to head to. I think we can safely say that the innovations in this new game are only possible thanks to the Wii U hardware".

Later in the interview, EDGE mentioned that other companies have pioneered the open-world template. The magazine also asked what can be done/what needs to be done to ensure that Zelda Wii U is held to the same regard as Ocarina of Time.

"The innovation of a vast open world could in one sense be seen as a return to the roots of the series. But in returning to these roots, we are also bringing with us all the things we have learned and ways the series has developed over all this time, which will help to create new and exciting gameplay possibilities".

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-further-discusses-zelda-wii-us-open-world/#more-170782

So we'll have our map on the gamepad screen, the rest is criptic as always.

Aonuma:

To recreate a similar experience to the original, we have to give the game world a simple structure that players can understand intuitively.

I still can't shake the feeling that the camera might be very zoomed-out, and certain areas fixed-view.

I thought the same straight after seeing the E3 footage. It's possible I suppose.

Does anyone remember the static camera in the side streets of Castle Town Market in OOT? I have this sudden concern that maybe the whole game is like that. Stationary camera angles that instantly cut between scenes as Link approaches various points, rather than a free-roaming one. Just a thought, not sure why it entered my mind, it just seems like a lot of work to populate that overworld from every angle.

Aonuma wants Zelda Wii U to “hold its own” against Hyrule Warriors in terms of cut-scenes

Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has been monitoring feedback about Hyrule Warriors on Miiverse. There’s one thing in particular that seems to have caught his eye.

Aonuma mentioned to Nintendo Life that players have been showing great enthusiasm for Hyrule Warriors’ cut-scenes. This has left him “a little conflicted”, and he wants to ensure that the new Zelda game for Wii U “can hold its own in that aspect against Hyrule Warriors”.

Aonuma’s full comments:

Looking at the comments on Miiverse regarding Hyrule Warriors, it’s been great to see a lot of positive feedback. But one of the things that leaves me with rather complicated feelings is that people are saying, “Oh wow, I really love the cutscenes in this game! This is better than the stuff Nintendo does!” Of course, that leaves me a little conflicted, and gives me a mission now to make sure that the new Zelda game that I’m working on can hold its own in that aspect against Hyrule Warriors!

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-wants-zelda-wii-u-to-hold-its-own-against-hyrule-warriors-in-terms-of-cut-scenes/#more-171839

Looking at the comments on Miiverse regarding Hyrule Warriors, it’s been great to see a lot of positive feedback. But one of the things that leaves me with rather complicated feelings is that people are saying, “Oh wow, I really love the cutscenes in this game! This is better than the stuff Nintendo does!” Of course, that leaves me a little conflicted, and gives me a mission now to make sure that the new Zelda game that I’m working on can hold its own in that aspect against Hyrule Warriors!

Translation: "We want Shia in the next Zelda. Nintendo would never design a character as boobalicious aesthetically-pleasing as her." :heh:

A miniscule wish for Zelda U... I really would like to not see the traditional Hylian shield design. Give us something new like in Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. Let them be creative instead of reusing the same designs over and over.

Translation: "We want Shia in the next Zelda. Nintendo would never design a character as boobalicious aesthetically-pleasing as her." :heh:

OoT_GreatFairy.png

OoT_GreatFairy.png

tumblr_n6yrctWK2k1r1mi29o1_500.gif

Link can't believe his eyes! Now there's a handful if ever there were. You'll need your golden gauntlets for them Link.

I really love the way they've done Hyrule Castle in the Mario Kart 8 DLC:

XFIPJss.jpg

A massive castle with the walled town in front of it. I hope it's fairly similar in this game.

Aonuma: Zelda Wii U looks even better than before, update at E3 2015

This week’s issue of Famitsu has an interview with Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma. While much of the discussion focused on Majora’s Mask, the magazine also managed to ask a couple of questions about Zelda Wii U.

Aonuma mentioned that many styles were considered to suit a Zelda game set in a wide world before deciding on the current visuals. On the topic of graphics, Aonuma teases: “Now it looks more amazing than what was shown at E3.”

Aonuma additionally notes that the enemy shown*in the debut trailer is something not previously seen in the series as you have to come up with a strategy while escaping on*horse. He stresses that “If an enemy like this appears, how would you beat it?” is a situation which the team has tried to include in the game.

So when will we see Zelda for Wii U again? Aonuma thinks that Nintendo may have new things to show at E3 next year.

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-zelda-wii-u-looks-even-better-than-before-update-at-e3-2015/

Good stuff.

I'm hoping this doesn't just pop up in a random Direct. Keep everything a mystery and have a full blow out come E3.

Aonuma thinks that Nintendo may have new things to show at E3 next year.

And this is coming out next year? Or maybe he means E3 is the next time we'll probably see it.

The same E3 that Nintendo won't do properly?... Brilliant I'll stay up until 2am to catch it in the treehouse..

I thought the common perception was E3 had a great showing last year and comfortably "won" the show. I loved their Digital Event, great fun presentation.

The same E3 that Nintendo won't do properly?... Brilliant I'll stay up until 2am to catch it in the treehouse..

What? They did E3 properly last year, and was considered the greatest. They surprised people when people wrote them off just because they didn't do a flashy press conference to pander to the media.

What? They did E3 properly last year, and was considered the greatest. They surprised people when people wrote them off just because they didn't do a flashy press conference to pander to the media.

The coverage of what they had was terrific what with the Treehouse stuff. But it was of what they had. For me there wasn't enough and some of it I've no time for. Pandering to the media? How's about pandering the fans? I miss the conferences and I want them back. I think it was @Hero\-of\-Time who had a thread of all the old conferences. Some of them were brilliant. The Twilight Princess reveal for me is still the best. And some of the last few were sh1tty, really sh1tty. Forgettable in fact. I think they had to find a way of making what little they had interesting and presentable.