NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Someone selling it on ebay. Funstock.co.uk are supposed to be the actual online UK store selling it but they never got any stock in. They claim its coming in September but in limited numbers.

Yeah, I was looking at it the other day. I searched ebay but couldn't find squat. I'm tempted to get one purely for the save states. A lot of cartridges out there now are losing their save features due to the battery dying. Sure you can change it yourself but it seems like a hassle.

I'd recommend just keep checking back on ebay every now and again, someone will probably put one up. I overpaid a bit for mine but when it first came out and appeared on ebay it was selling for over £200 so its not as bad anymore at least.

Where did you get yours from?

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon back in March (luckily before they increased the price), which probably isn't much help at this point.

Zelda Wii U’s open world won’t be like the open worlds from other games

Producer Eiji Aonuma recently shared a cryptic teaser about the nature of Zelda Wii U’s open world.

Aonuma – among other employees like Shigeru Miyamoto – were interviewed in this month’s EDGE as part of a significant Nintendo feature.

Regarding Zelda Wii U’s world, Aonuma teased:

“Since we’re talking about open worlds, let’s state upfront that we don’t plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-wii-us-open-world-wont-be-like-the-open-worlds-from-other-games/

Monster Hunter-type areas instead.

I would die. Of anger. But yeah, I really don't know what to make of that statement.

let's collate all the things which it is not, then whatever is left must be exactly what the game will be like

D_prOdigy: 1

Aounuma: 0

"Let's state upfront" that I'm not going to give you a straight answer as always.

Its obviously going to be 'Nintendo Open-World'... Open-world with natural barriers. Thats what he means.

“Since we’re talking about open worlds, let’s state upfront that we don’t plan to have an open world in the same way other companies have been doing in recent years.”

Basically, it's not the open world that we expect it to be (or want, probably). It may mean that there's a bit more freedom with the order you do dungeons. So, open in that sense.

We should lower our expectations.

With how they mention "in recent years", I'm pretty sure they mean games like AssCreed, Arkham City, GTA, inFamous and Far Cry; and that Nintendo won't be copying their mission structure (which is a format which I find is getting a bit tiring).

With how they mention "in recent years", I'm pretty sure they mean games like AssCreed, Arkham City, GTA, inFamous and Far Cry; and that Nintendo won't be copying their mission structure (which is a format which I find is getting a bit tiring).

But who would really expect a Zelda to have a mission structure?

But who would really expect a Zelda to have a mission structure?

People who think that the term "open world" means games like that.

People who think that the term "open world" means games like that.

Oh ok.

Still kinda think that statement is him ducking out and not over-promising anything.

I guess it depends on what they mean exactly by the term "open world".

Either way, it's best to keep the expectations low and not pay that much attention to what Nintendo says these days. The only thing that'll get me excited is when we actually see more of this game and get some hands-on impressions.

Basically, it's not the open world that we expect it to be (or want, probably). It may mean that there's a bit more freedom with the order you do dungeons. So, open in that sense.

That would sort of contradict what he said during E3 though, about how Wind Waker's islands had natural barriers around them to stop you from accessing them from any angle. This Zelda will apparently change that. Personally I found Wind Waker's overworld fantastic so any improvement is fine by me.

I just think he's giving a quote that means absolutely nothing, as he always does in every single interview, just to mess with us.

It's THIS. They been going on about letting you do dungeons in any order, getting items any order and free roam of the map since the last game. Is the world map bigger? Sure, but the above is what they mean when they say open-world (as in the world is open for you to freely roam and do what you like in any order).

That would sort of contradict what he said during E3 though, about how Wind Waker's islands had natural barriers around them to stop you from accessing them from any angle. This Zelda will apparently change that. Personally I found Wind Waker's overworld fantastic so any improvement is fine by me.

I just think he's giving a quote that means absolutely nothing, as he always does in every single interview, just to mess with us.

It's THIS. They been going on about letting you do dungeons in any order, getting items any order and free roam of the map since the last game. Is the world map bigger? Sure, but the above is what they mean when they say open-world (as in the world is open for you to freely roam and do what you like in any order).

@Mr_Master_X2 knows what's up. It's more open-structured than open-world, which is why I think Aonuma came out today to "clarify" that their definition of open world isn't the same as everybody else's meaning of the world.

Haven't they talked about taking the series back to its roots and letting the gamer go out and choose how they approach the world? That's what I think they're getting at with this.

That's what I think, anyway. Could be wrong, could be right. Looking at what we know, that's the best guess I can come up with. At least, it'll certainly be different to the more linear approach that they took with Skyward Sword. My one concern would be the narrative and how this "open world/open structure" would affect that.

Why would they bother to make a big point about something they'd already introduced in ALBW?

Aonuma specifically mentions the openworld nature of being able to "walk all the way to the mountains" in the far distance of the map, or the fact that Wind Waker's overworld had structured entry/exit points of every area, and how this new game will remove those barriers.

Every time this guy is interviewed by the media he talks in non-nonsensical riddles, this is just another one of those occasions.

Why would they bother to make a big point about something they'd already introduced in ALBW?

Because the mainstream media tends to ignore handheld Zeldas, and Aonuma caught on? :heh:

It's a console ALBW probably.

Like 3D World was to 3D Land. Oh, Nintendo.

Aonuma specifically mentions the openworld nature of being able to "walk all the way to the mountains" in the far distance of the map, or the fact that Wind Waker's overworld had structured entry/exit points of every area, and how this new game will remove those barriers.

Every time this guy is interviewed by the media he talks in non-nonsensical riddles, this is just another one of those occasions.

That means you'll be able to go everywhere you can see, but that doesn't mean there aren't strategically implemented loading zones between the areas (unlike, say, GTA V, where you can use a blimp to literally fly the whole map without pause).

In that way it'd still be different to Link Between Worlds, since it's a 3D game so you can actually see the places you can go from a distance.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

When Aonuma uses the term "open world" in the context of Zelda, he is clearly referring to how the world is large and free of loading (that's what the whole Aonuma section of the Nintendo Digital Event E3 video was all about after all). What I think he's trying to say here though is that the world will still be constructed in that same handcrafted manner that Zelda worlds always are, rather than the generic sort of factory made way that environments like Skyrim's and GTA's worlds are. Environments that are based around gameplay mechanics and not just on sheer landmass/looks, where you can clearly make out things like puzzle elements, climbable ledges, landmarks etc just by looking at them - the art style plays into this too as I mentioned back when the game was first announced).

They're also looking to break away from the linearity that you typically see in Zelda and move things closer to how it was done in the original NES Zelda.

There's another quote from that same EDGE interview that feeds into that...

Another quote to fuel discussion....

"In the original Legend of Zelda, there was no clear way to lead the character to his goal. The player was trusted to find it by themselves. As game worlds became more complex, we had to point players in the right direction. Consequently progress becomes more linear. To recreate an experience similar to the original, the world needs to have a simple structure that players can understand intuitively. We need to make each part of the world real and connected so it doesn't look fake. We also need a game map that depicts the world as it is. The gamepad is very effective for this. Innovations in this game are only possible due to Wii U hardware"

Think more Xenoblade (or Skyward Sword's open areas but on a much bigger scale) and less Skyrim/GTA in terms of the world design and how it is constructed...

Also that comment about the Gamepad use is very interesting... Sounds to me like they're planning on doing a top-down view on the Gamepad and a 3D view on the TV (notice how he says "the world as it is" - that's a big clue right there! It's the same environment being viewed from a different perspective :D )

Edited by Dcubed