NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

The Starfox bit where he held his hands up "the way we're using the gamepad feels really nice" makes me so nervous.

Heaven forbid a game uses the features of its console's controller :p

The Starfox bit where he held his hands up "the way we're using the gamepad feels really nice" makes me so nervous.

We've already seen some of the Gamepad's uses in Starfox Wii U. You can aim the reticle separate from the ship's movement with the motion controls (that's gonna be a real game changer! Makes it effectively more like Sin & Punishment than past Starfox games...), you also get two perspectives (the traditional view of the Arwing/Landmaster on the TV and a cockpit view on the Gamepad), there's a new helicopter vehicle that features a dual perspective (behind the helicopter on the TV, top-down view on Gamepad) and motion for fine adjustments IIRC and you can supposedly switch between the Arwing and the Landmaster at any time via a button on the Gamepad.

I've been hoping that they rested Zelda a little longer, aside from the combat, Skyward Sword was the weakest in the series for years. I feared the series needed a break.. However, after seeing this trailer I'm glad no one took any notice, it looks great. Of course, the world needs more to it, and that's a huge task (GTA feels sparse, even with Rockstars 'prowess' at open world). I'm sure we'll see more stuff populating the world, but Hyrule could still feel barren.

Haha, this is exactly what I said to Dakota after watching the Zelda bit. Please be optional... Just want an insane arcadey space shooter, not a gimmicky new take... They dint give us enough of them for it to demand a new take.

Zelda looks unbelievable. Crazy place and manner to show the next taste though. Do they not know how we react to dramatic trailers?

Wasn't a great reveal. Just a long and kind of boring horse ride. Activision get maligned for their 'Fish AI' comment but Nintendo's dumb-ass 'revelation' that your horse won't run into a tree, and nothing. There's them double standards.

Anyway, it looks like if you were looking forward to Zelda you'll still be looking forward to Zelda and if you weren't, you probably still aren't fussed. There was really nothing to win anyone over in that video.

Personally I think it looks good. I have a few of the same concerns as other people here but this is the kind of Zelda I've wanted for the past decade. As long as the game doesn't take an age to actually start like Skyward Sword did, I can't see how this could be bad. We'll see.

It would be good if Treasure are working on Starfox.

You wouldn't think Skyward Sword was in development for any length. I think they banged it together, threw it out the door and kept the good ideas for the next home Zelda. Only they weren't expecting Wii U to perform so badly. There has to be an explanation why SS is so bad. Nearly everything was bad about it right down to the minigames, they're the worst of all the 3D home console games.

This looks amazing. I'm also skeptical about next year, but if it is then it will be a good year.

Epona dodging the trees, that's one of those features that just makes you ask "why isn't this the case in all games??"

I mean, of course a horse has a mind of its own, and of course it wouldn't run headfirst into a tree.... A little AI in there will actually make it more like really riding a horse.

Shadow of the Colossus did this.

Love how dcubed is so certain this is xmas 2016 and Starfox also 2016. And so certain of it.

Personally, I don't think they'd make such a specific point of saying next year if they were that far away.

Love how dcubed is so certain this is xmas 2016 and Starfox also 2016. And so certain of it.

Personally, I don't think they'd make such a specific point of saying next year if they were that far away.

He insisted Smash never would make 2014 too :p

It's good to be that way. Expect the worst, then you're happy when you're wrong. If you expect it say Autumn 2015 and it gets delayed, then you'll be disappointed.

You wouldn't think Skyward Sword was in development for any length. I think they banged it together, threw it out the door and kept the good ideas for the next home Zelda. Only they weren't expecting Wii U to perform so badly. There has to be an explanation why SS is so bad. Nearly everything was bad about it right down to the minigames, they're the worst of all the 3D home console games.

So you say Skyward Sword wasn't in development for any length of time? Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was bad, rushed etc. It was different, some things missed the mark, but it's by no means "bad".

He insisted Smash never would make 2014 too :p

Well, technically it wasn't fully released in 2014... A big chunk of the game's online features were delayed till next year ;)

It's good to be that way. Expect the worst, then you're happy when you're wrong. If you expect it say Autumn 2015 and it gets delayed, then you'll be disappointed.

That's the plan! Always works out well for me! :)

Edited by Dcubed

Well, technically it wasn't fully released in 2015... A big chunk of the game's online features were delayed till next year ;)

That's the plan! Always works out well for me! :)

The tournament mode isn't a "big chunk" :p Clutching at straws buddy :p

I think Nintendo are gearing up for their next console big time, they seem to be palming off a lot development to third and smaller companies. Can see new handheld next Christmas, new home console the Christmas after. Thell be desperate to have this out next Christmas, it'll happen.

The tournament mode isn't a "big chunk" :p Clutching at straws buddy :p

Not just that, but the online album/custom stage sharing was delayed till next year, as was playable Mewtwo.

Either way, I was still kind of right ;)

I think Nintendo are gearing up for their next console big time, they seem to be palming off a lot development to third and smaller companies. Can see new handheld next Christmas, new home console the Christmas after. Thell be desperate to have this out next Christmas, it'll happen.

Ya, I think we'll see a new console/handheld by Christmas 2016 at the latest. Maybe even by E3 that year.

I think you're at least a year too early with your estimates. There's no way in hell we're getting a new handheld next year.

Yep, the only 'New' hand held console Europe will be getting next year is the 'New! 3DS/XL' which I can't wait for. :)

Anyway, Zelda looks stunning, give it time, that is all. :D

Wasn't a great reveal. Just a long and kind of boring horse ride. Activision get maligned for their 'Fish AI' comment but Nintendo's dumb-ass 'revelation' that your horse won't run into a tree, and nothing. There's them double standards...

It's not double standards. The reason the Fish AI comment got slated was because they touted it as something they could do because of the new next-gen engine.

Here Nintendo have simply said here's a feature of the horse riding. They've not said it's because of the power of the WiiU or anything, just simply because horses don't run into trees in real life.

yeah, the fish AI line by IW/Treyarch/Activison/whoever it was aroused chuckles because it was so obviously a functionless visual thing. The horse thing actually has the potential to have a use in terms of how the gameplay feels. Even if you don't care about it, it's still ostensibly a gameplay thing. so it's a bit of weird comparison to make, really.

It's not double standards. The reason the Fish AI comment got slated was because they touted it as something they could do because of the new next-gen engine.

Here Nintendo have simply said here's a feature of the horse riding. They've not said it's because of the power of the WiiU or anything, just simply because horses don't run into trees in real life.

Sometimes they do.

Horse%20tree%201.jpg

;)

I think you're at least a year too early with your estimates. There's no way in hell we're getting a new handheld next year.

100% agree with you. I think we've both said in the past that they'll likely do a reveal of some sort next year and get it out onto the market in 2016, with the Wii U successor in 2017 or so, 5 years after the Wii U. Next year? A bit too soon..

But that doesn't fit in with the must bash Nintendo for everything possible attitude...

Fact is, when we ride shit in any other game, you walk into stuff all the time, this is a tiny, but nice detail. These people probably slagged off the auto jump feature in ocarina - but you jump in loads of games. Big deal!

Yep, the only 'New' hand held console Europe will be getting next year is the 'New! 3DS/XL' which I can't wait for. :)

Anyway, Zelda looks stunning, give it time, that is all. :D

I don't see why you're waiting for it... Why not just get an Australian one right now like I did? ;)

Would a real life land of Hyrule really have points of interest every 20 paces or so? I agree the world looks a little dead but at the same time, surely that's what exploring a vast world would actually be like. You alone in this giant world getting from place to place. Think Lord of the Rings, desolate expanses of land between locations. I think this overworld will be quite similar to the one in Wind Waker, just with Epona instead of a boat to get you from place to place, with obviously a few things dotted around in between.

Not just that, but the online album/custom stage sharing was delayed till next year, as was playable Mewtwo.

Either way, I was still kind of right ;)

Hold your hands up and accept defeat like a man

Your opinion. You personally not liking a game doesn't mean it was rushed.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

That's utter crap. Complete double standards. They said nothing like that. But of course, because they're Activision everything is some kind of evil marketing scheme or a lie whereas Nintendo are some bastion of genius.

And in any case, this stuff isn't new. It was in SotC - no one is screaming that Nintendo copied that, or course - and a pretty similar auto-drive system is in Far Cry 4. But yes, only Nintendo have an eye for these details. Yawn.

Edited by Daft

That's utter crap. Complete double standards. They said nothing like that. But of course, because they're Activision everything is some kind of evil marketing scheme or a lie whereas Nintendo are some bastion of genius.

And in any case, this stuff isn't new. It was in SotC - no one is screaming that Nintendo copied that, or course - and a pretty similar auto-drive system is in Far Cry 4. But yes, only Nintendo have an eye for these details. Yawn.

No, kav82 is absolutely correct. Activision were touting it as some major new thing that only just became possible. Nintendo mentioned this as "look, we added this cool thing"