NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Why do people use tapatalk?

I've tried it and didn't really enjoy it. I like viewing N-E the same way on my phone as I do on my laptop.

Put about 5 hours into the game now but it's still not grabbing me. The overworld just feels really empty, which was always a concern of mine. There's tiny pockets of life scattered around but because the world is so huge I've often ran around for ages not seeing a single thing.

Another concern was the quality of the voice acting. While it's not completely awful, it's certainly not good. Maybe I've been spoiled by other games but the VA kinda comes off as cheap.

At the moment I'm playing the game as I would Assassins Creed. I look for the towers, sync the map around the area and then head for the next one. It definitely feels like an Ubisoft open world game in that sense.

Combat still feels very stale and stiff. Again, this could be because of other games which I've played recently and this got me thinking that maybe, due to the length of time in which it took for the game to come out, other games have done things before and better than what BotW has. Granted, it's still early days but it's just an observation I've had while playing so far.

On the plus side the game does look gorgeous and the Wii U framerate isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. There were a few rough patches right at the start but things seem a little smoother now.

Thanks for the honest opinions, H-o-T. It's always better to hear a genuine opinion about a game (or film) than people pretending they love it just to fit in with the hype. I hope it gets better (for my sake too, as mine's arriving tomorrow!)

It is good to hear honest opinions @Hero\-of\-Time

Maybe the game has been completely overhyped :(

Thanks for the honest opinions, H-o-T. It's always better to hear a genuine opinion about a game (or film) than people pretending they love it just to fit in with the hype. I hope it gets better (for my sake too, as mine's arriving tomorrow!)

Thanks. I appreciate that. It's always hard to come down on a game that others love, even more so during the launch of a console.

I'm sure many on here will enjoy and love the game. Well all have different tastes, needs and wants when it comes to gaming and Zelda just isn't hitting the right notes for me yet. As I said, it's still early days and the game may grow on me.

We do have a slightly more mobile friendly scheme available now.

And we are working on it, but it won't be available in time for Zelda.

Although apparently Tapatalk does support spoiler tags... https://support.tapatalk.com/help/bb-codes

Update

Had a look and can't really seem to find a solution I'm afraid folks!

Edited by Ashley

It is good to hear honest opinions @Hero\-of\-Time

Maybe the game has been completely overhyped :(

Don't be discouraged. The game has been given a lot of praise by many people. I just seem to be one of the few that isn't seeing what the majority are seeing. The odds of you loving it are very much in your favour.

The overworld just feels really empty, which was always a concern of mine. There's tiny pockets of life scattered around but because the world is so huge I've often ran around for ages not seeing a single thing.

The game could've benefited a lot from a much smaller map/world.

Also:

I've come across two towns, or rather villages and they are the usual Zelda type towns. Not much to see, not much to do. Some shops and some villagers. A couple of fetch quests, too...

Really hoping to see some bigger, more lively towns.

Maybe I've been spoiled by other games but the VA kinda comes off as cheap.

Even without comparisons to other games the VA is not good. It sounds like the voice actors didn't enjoy the work.

Combat still feels very stale and stiff. Again, this could be because of other games which I've played recently and this got me thinking that maybe, due to the length of time in which it took for the game to come out, other games have done things before and better than what BotW has.

For me the biggest flaw is breakable weapons. It's such a disconnect when you have to open up the quick menu mid-fight and choose a new weapon. Often times more than once, depending on how many enemies you fight.

I want to fight and not manage my weapons/inventory.

The fights aren't even that difficult. Definitely not Souls-like. But this is not meant as a negative aspect. It's just what I think about the difficulty.

On the plus side the game does look gorgeous and the Wii U framerate isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. There were a few rough patches right at the start but things seem a little smoother now.

Indeed. Audiovisually it's amazing. Some framerate hickups here and there but nothing too distracting. :)

Video of the aforementioned Wii U slowdown when going in/out of home menu (Miiverse et al):

[tweet]837440652711505925[/tweet]

The game could've benefited a lot from a much smaller map/world.

A very good point. Its a bit pointless having a massive map/world if there isn't much in it. The Witcher 3 was perfect in regards to how full its world was.

Anyway i'm still hyped - its Zelda. I wasn't expecting the overworld to be full of life to be honest. I would have been pleasantly shocked if it was.

Don't be discouraged. The game has been given a lot of praise by many people. I just seem to be one of the few that isn't seeing what the majority are seeing. The odds of you loving it are very much in your favour.

To be honest, you not gelling with it is great news for me! It's a pretty good sign that I'll enjoy a game lately.

A very good point. Its a bit pointless having a massive map/world if there isn't much in it.

That's my biggest gripe with BotW so far (besides breakable weapons...GOD, I hate that :D). I wander around a lot without doing anything really...I spot a shrine and on my way there I fight the occasional monster and that's it. :hmm: It got stale very quickly.

However, I do enjoy a massive world to explore (even though there's not a lot in it) and I will continue doing that tomorrow as soon as I come back from the physician. : peace:

That, i was kind of worried about. Massive map, not a lot going on. Don't get me wrong, what i played of it earlier in the year was good. But i can kind of see the point.

It's funny, none of the reviews mention a barren overworld. All they talk about are secrets around every corner and how much fun it is to explore.

Either way, is a wilderness really supposed to be full of stuff every few dozen steps? If things were in plain sight it would be like a Ubisoft game with checkboxes covering the map.

Either way, is a wilderness really supposed to be full of stuff every few dozen steps? If things were in plain sight it would be like a Ubisoft game with checkboxes covering the map.

I will enjoy the secluded/wildnerness parts - sometimes, its not always about 'doing', just sitting back and checking out the scenery and weather dynamics etc is a draw for me... and if I get bored with that I'll continue the quest, do collections, find stuff etc.

I want to fight and not manage my weapons/inventory.

Hmm thats definitely something I didn't think about that could break the immersion a bit - constantly pausing out to change things mid battle.

I've played maybe seven or so hours so far. It felt great to get off the plateau, after that's all we'd really been shown by Nintendo, and I've enjoyed finding a few secrets in the area below. Time will have to tell whether or not this tops Ocarina for me, though - I think I probably do prefer to be led through a more focused quest than be left to my own devices, and I echo what others have said about the overworld being quite empty in parts and the very annoying weapon degradation, but even so, I'm looking forward to getting back into it in the morning!

Amazon have fucked me over on my Wii U copy.

Ever since I ordered it has said delivery on 3rd March. Wake up this morning to say my item has been delayed and won't be here until Tuesday.

Get onto the live chat and see if they can do anything. Not being very helpful. It's available on Prime Now in my area for £47.99, but because I'm not a Prime member and Prime Now works separately from normal Amazon, they can't help me get it through there.

They offered me Prime delivery on the delayed order and a £5 credit, but I said that's really not good enough as they've fucked me over after promising release day delivery. You can't just tell someone at 3am on the day something is meant to be coming that it's not going to come. It's been passed onto a supervisor who is supposedly going to email me back.

I've stuck a reservation down at Argos, at a shocking £48.99. Does anyone know, if I pick up a copy from there, and then return them the sealed Amazon copy whenever it arrives, will I have any problems?

I've played maybe seven or so hours so far. It felt great to get off the plateau, after that's all we'd really been shown by Nintendo, and I've enjoyed finding a few secrets in the area below. Time will have to tell whether or not this tops Ocarina for me, though - I think I probably do prefer to be led through a more focused quest than be left to my own devices, and I echo what others have said about the overworld being quite empty in parts and the very annoying weapon degradation, but even so, I'm looking forward to getting back into it in the morning!

It's good to hear that someone else has the same feeling about the overworld. Some on here may think that myself or Drahcon may have an agenda or be biased, so having you make the same comment is much appreciated.

Like you, I was still eager to get back playing it, despite the issues I have. I managed to get an hour in on the game before heading off to work. I polished off a few more shrines that I found scattered about the place and then continued my Zelda: Breath of the Creed playing style, by going from tower to tower, just filling the map in.

Amazon have fucked me over on my Wii U copy.

Ever since I ordered it has said delivery on 3rd March. Wake up this morning to say my item has been delayed and won't be here until Tuesday.

Get onto the live chat and see if they can do anything. Not being very helpful. It's available on Prime Now in my area for £47.99, but because I'm not a Prime member and Prime Now works separately from normal Amazon, they can't help me get it through there.

They offered me Prime delivery on the delayed order and a £5 credit, but I said that's really not good enough as they've fucked me over after promising release day delivery. You can't just tell someone at 3am on the day something is meant to be coming that it's not going to come. It's been passed onto a supervisor who is supposedly going to email me back.

I've stuck a reservation down at Argos, at a shocking £48.99. Does anyone know, if I pick up a copy from there, and then return them the sealed Amazon copy whenever it arrives, will I have any problems?

Amazon have completely lost the plot lately, even for Prime members. Many people got screwed over with Digimon and Tales of Beseria preorders, with people having to wait a week for the games. It also happened again with the latest Zelda book, with orders not showing up for 3-4 days later, despite being preordered.

Taking the sealed game back to Argos may be tricky. Usually their products come with a sticker on that has the Argos item number on it. If they just scan the barcode then it should be fine. Although you could just say that the sticker was removed as it was a gift. Saying that, as long as it's still sealed and you have your receipt then I think it should be fine.

and then continued my Zelda: Breath of the Creed playing style, by going from tower to tower, just filling the map in.

I've deviated from that approach. I followed one of the main quests and am trying to reach a certain point. Not sure if this is a good idea as I still only have 3 heart containers but that may finally ramp up the difficulty :D

Something I noticed: The framerate can sometimes get pretty bad during fights against 3 or more monsters. That makes it almost impossible to excecute evasive movements.

I've deviated from that approach. I followed one of the main quests and am trying to reach a certain point. Not sure if this is a good idea as I still only have 3 heart containers but that may finally ramp up the difficulty :D

Something I noticed: The framerate can sometimes get pretty bad during fights against 3 or more monsters. That makes it almost impossible to excecute evasive movements.

I like that approach. I get to see lots of locations early on and it makes jumping around the map a lot easier once the whole thing is unlocked.

How have you still only got 3 hearts? Wait, I guess you upgraded your stamina first then, yeah? I regretted getting an extra heart first, although I can now afford an another upgrade so I will be certainly be going with stamina next.

Yeah, the framerate can get rough during combat. I watched the Easy Allies review and they show lots of footage on it there.

It's good to hear that someone else has the same feeling about the overworld. Some on here may think that myself or Drahcon may have an agenda or be biased, so having you make the same comment is much appreciated.

Like you, I was still eager to get back playing it, despite the issues I have. I managed to get an hour in on the game before heading off to work. I polished off a few more shrines that I found scattered about the place and then continued my Zelda: Breath of the Creed playing style, by going from tower to tower, just filling the map in.

Amazon have completely lost the plot lately, even for Prime members. Many people got screwed over with Digimon and Tales of Beseria preorders, with people having to wait a week for the games. It also happened again with the latest Zelda book, with orders not showing up for 3-4 days later, despite being preordered.

Taking the sealed game back to Argos may be tricky. Usually their products come with a sticker on that has the Argos item number on it. If they just scan the barcode then it should be fine. Although you could just say that the sticker was removed as it was a gift. Saying that, as long as it's still sealed and you have your receipt then I think it should be fine.

Although I'm generally a very happy Amazon customer, I don't usually use them for game pre-orders as others get it to you earlier, but thought they'd be fine for release day, and the fact I was getting it for £30 with the BIGTHANKS code sealed my decision to go with them this time.

I had forgotten Argos do those stickers, but hopefully it shouldn't be too much hassle. I might try GAME instore instead if their returns policy is easier/they have any stock at my one by the time I swing by this evening after work.

CEX are buying for £43 cash at the moment as another option for returning a spare copy, but I imagine that price would've dropped by next Tuesday.

Paul would you not be able to try the Morrison's or Sainsbury's in Camden? Although they may not have Wii U stock I guess.

Paul would you not be able to try the Morrison's or Sainsbury's in Camden? Although they may not have Wii U stock I guess.

Yeah good idea, I did think of going to one of those, but again doubted there being any Wii U stock. Gotta get my day's work done first, but was thinking of heading up to Wood Green where there's the shopping centre with GAME, Argos, and a Morrison's up there too.

I really wouldn't be this fussed if it wasn't Zelda, I just wanted it by tonight!