NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Anyone who thinks that isn't a strong line-up is clearly deluded. Both the XBO and the PS4 have really strong launch line-ups.

Look at the most popular games on the PS3 - COD, BF and FIFA - all of them are present in that line-up. It's what the consumer wants. Add in other huge franchises like Assassins Creed, Need for Speed and Skylanders, throw in a LEGO game and you have pretty much everything the public want.

Just because it doesn't have the game you are personally looking forward to playing doesn't mean the line-up isn't strong.

Considering the demographic that the PS4 will be selling to and what sold strongly on the PS3/360 this line-up will help shift plenty of consoles.

Not impressed by either next gen console and their line up tbh but it doesn't really matter for me as I'm gonna be waiting until next year to invest. Come on, with GTA5 and Batman still to come, there's plenty of life in this gen!

But I digress. I came to this thread to say how wonderful the console looks. The gorgeous controllers. I don't know if it's just me but the actual console itself, how it looks as well as the controller are really important to me. And PS4 wins me over, hardcore - although I gotta say, the new Xbox One controller looks mighty fine too.

Wow, I'm agreeing with Zechs. I feel strange.

From Eurogamer,

There was lots to talk about, then, but among its many revelations Sony also issued a list of PS4 games that will be released before the end of 2013. There will be a total of 33 games out by then, including 15 on Blu-ray.

Here's the full list:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (Blu-ray/digital)

Basement Crawl (digital)

Battlefield 4 (Blu-ray/digital)

Blacklight (digital)

Call of Duty: Ghosts (Blu-ray/digital)

Contrast (digital)

DC Universe Online (digital)

Doki-Doki Universe (digital)

DriveClub (Blu-ray/digital)

FIFA 14 (Blu-ray/digital)

Flower (digital)

Hohokum (digital)

Just Dance 2014 (Blu-ray/digital)

Killzone: Shadow Fall (Blu-ray/digital)

Knack (Blu-ray/digital)

Lego Marvel Superheroes (Blu-ray/digital)

Madden NFL 25 (Blu-ray/digital)

Minecraft (digital)

N++ (digital)

NBA Live (Blu-ray/digital)

NBA 2K14 (Blu-ray/digital)

Need for Speed: Rivals (Blu-ray/digital)

Pinball Arcade (digital)

Planetside 2 (digital)

Pool Nation Extreme (digital)

ResoGun (digital)

Skylanders: Swap Force (Blu-ray/digital)

Super Motherload (digital)

The Playroom (preinstalled)

Tiny Brains (digital)

Warframe (digital)

War Thunder (digital)

Watch_Dogs (Blu-ray/digital)

Didn't realise Planetside 2 would actually be out by the end of the year. Happy with that.

Anyone who thinks that isn't a strong line-up is clearly deluded. Both the XBO and the PS4 have really strong launch line-ups.

Look at the most popular games on the PS3 - COD, BF and FIFA - all of them are present in that line-up. It's what the consumer wants. Add in other huge franchises like Assassins Creed, Need for Speed and Skylanders, throw in a LEGO game and you have pretty much everything the public want.

Just because it doesn't have the game you are personally looking forward to playing doesn't mean the line-up isn't strong.

Considering the demographic that the PS4 will be selling to and what sold strongly on the PS3/360 this line-up will help shift plenty of consoles.

We've got a semantics issue here. We need to throw out the phrase "strong lineup" because we're going to disagree to the bitter end. Some of us are talking about how, as gamers, there aren't enough key titles here to attract us. Too many sequels and rehashes of good, but not amazing, third party titles. Others are talking about whether or not this will sells systems.

There are two ways you can take the phrase "strong lineup":

1. Big, big titles. EA's huge sellers. Ubisoft's big names. Call of Duty. This lineup will absolutely sell in the hundreds of thousands. Many will sell multi-million. All big names and undoubtedly good games.

2. Fresh, new, exciting titles. The really big names which appeal to gamers, like us, not the average consumer. Games that you know you couldn't have played without this new hardware. Games you absolutely had to pre-order for launch day, and won't be able to decide which to put in your system first.

Whether or not these games will be a success, or shift consoles, is not in question. But they are not the "new console experience" we're looking for.

But they are not the "new console experience" we're looking for.

For me, they certainly are.

I want better graphics and more indie goodness, and that is exactly what I will get with a next gen console.

Yeah, PCs have all that already, but I will gladly spent 400€ on a new console which is miles better than my current PC than spent at least the same amount to upgrade the latter.

I still don't understand why people have to argue whether a console is "good" or "bad", with a "good" or "bad" launch line-up.

In the end it all comes down to personal taste.

I should clarify I don't mean everyone when I say "we", I mean those of us claiming the launch lineup is not amazing.

We've got a semantics issue here. We need to throw out the phrase "strong lineup" because we're going to disagree to the bitter end. Some of us are talking about how, as gamers, there aren't enough key titles here to attract us. Too many sequels and rehashes of good, but not amazing, third party titles. Others are talking about whether or not this will sells systems.

There are two ways you can take the phrase "strong lineup":

1. Big, big titles. EA's huge sellers. Ubisoft's big names. Call of Duty. This lineup will absolutely sell in the hundreds of thousands. Many will sell multi-million. All big names and undoubtedly good games.

2. Fresh, new, exciting titles. The really big names which appeal to gamers, like us, not the average consumer. Games that you know you couldn't have played without this new hardware. Games you absolutely had to pre-order for launch day, and won't be able to decide which to put in your system first.

Whether or not these games will be a success, or shift consoles, is not in question. But they are not the "new console experience" we're looking for.

A strong line-up is a line-up that's going to shift consoles!

Everyone has personal preferences, for example I enjoy COD, however many people on this forum don't. However, as the top three selling games on the PS3 are all COD titles, having the latest COD as a launch title is a good thing and is a strong addition to the line-up.

If you look at what PS3 owners purchased you will see the top ten is made up of COD games, BF3, FIFA and GT. Really the only thing this line-up is missing out of those top ten best sellers is GT.

Another example is Assassins Creed, I have never played an AC game and don't really care for them. However I acknowledge AC is a very popular yearly franchise that millions of gamers love, hence it is a strong addition to the launch line-up, despite me personally not being interested in it.

In summary - let's not get bogged down with our own personal preferences, this line-up is strong.

The console is awesome, the reveals are awesome.....but i agree with @Serebii to an extent

I can't agree that the WiiU launch line up was better, but i do agree its not the best launch line up in my view.

I never count third party titles in a launch line up as they aren't must have games for a single console they can be sourced for other consoles (in the case of most of those, consoles people already own), i look at exclussive titles and for me Killzone is the only one that interests me. Sadly Xboned has the better launch line up certainly the best out of the three this Gen, sony are joint second with nintendo on quality of exclussive titles

don't get me wrong its an awesome line up, but i won't drop £400 for a console that has one exlussive game and lots of ports i can get for my PS3, i'm waiting....admittedly external factors influence this namely house buying

A strong line-up is a line-up that's going to shift consoles!

Thanks for absorbing my point there :p

To me, the launch doesn't offer much if I was to buy it day one, but I was never going to any way. To the general gamer though, that's one broad as fuck selection being offered for launch!

Heck, they've even got Planetside 2 on there and that's a massive boon as it is. A free to play shooter, day one, up for any one who wants to play it. That's a nice little bonus if you're not going to be too good for money after the initial purchase of the console.

I'm guessing the 2 week delay between launches is to get deep into the US market before the Xbox One rears its head, as North America is still their weakest region. But seriously, 2 weeks? Maaan, that's going to suck for those getting it day one here.

I just paid off my pre-order at ShopTo. Now I wait.

Normally that would be painful but I'm really looking forward to Beyond, Puppeteer and GTA V. And Spelunky. Yeah, I'm good.

EDIT:

Sony Computer Entertainment of Japan Asia press conference set for Sept. 9

And then Tokyo Games Show a couple weeks later. I'm guessing a Japanese release date and a few more Japan-centric titles will be announced.

Edited by Daft

Now that, I'm looking forward to. For me, maybe the lineup is just missing a good JRPG or hack and slash. Not that we'll see anything announced on that date anywhere near launch over this side of the world.

Had an email through saying i'm guaranteed a PS4 for launch, kinda knew that already. But nice to have it in writing in case it buggers up.

Bring on the 29th November.

The launch line up is one of the best I've seen. I'd like what some of you lot are smoking please :P

I've got five games pre-ordered and will probably get a couple more.

I just paid off my pre-order at ShopTo. Now I wait.

Had an email through saying i'm guaranteed a PS4 for launch, kinda knew that already. But nice to have it in writing in case it buggers up.

Bring on the 29th November.

Where did you pre-order from?

Inspiration.jpg

Edited by dwarf

I'm more than likely going to wait until Infamous as like Babooo said this gen is still going strong. Plus I'd rather Infamous was released when it was ready rather than rushed to meet launch.

GTA5 & Online will undoubtedly keep me busy for a couple of months then you factor in how much PS+ spoils us it makes sense for me personally to hold out. The fella in my local GAME said if I was to preorder today I'd be part of the second phase unfortunately. Xbox One they still had plenty available.

I do have to decide whether to miss out on current gen multiplats like Watch Dogs and to wait or just play them on PS3. Gut feeling is the current gen versions won't perform very well.

I specifically said retail titles?

As much as we may love indie titles, they don't get the massmarket penetration as retail titles too and so are often ignored by the general populace.

A strong retail line-up is still a necessity, and that is what I came here to discuss and post.

For what it's worth, I think what Sony has done will help to push the indie titles on the PS4, even for those that don't know anything about them. The inclusion of two weeks free Plus with every console can do quite a bit to get the name of indie games out there.

Presuming that there will be some kind of packed-in leaflet advertising the free Plus and its features, and probably also some kind of notification/ad on the OS, I think a large percentage of buyers will take a look at the store. Think about it, when you get new tech what do you do? You explore all the different areas.

As such, when they land in the store they can start looking around and as these games will be much cheaper than retail games, there will probably be a lot of impulse purchases. Plus (lol pun), Resogun is free on Plus so buyers will be able to experience the indie joy for free.

Perhaps in the long run some people may not end up buying more indie titles, but I feel that Sony's approach here does make indie games more relevant for the launch line up. Yes, your average person who just wants the same old franchises may not be aware of the indie line-up when they buy the console, but I think there is a distinct possibility they will quickly become aware.

I hadn't given it much thought but it'll be nice to see the consoles handle a 60 player Battlefield match now. Console versions of BF were always slightly borked because of the limited playercount and maps that were designed for larger scale skirmishes.

It's that time of the day where we blow one small comment completely out of proportion, and I'm going to help.

Need For Speed Rivals may look ‘a little’ better on one next-gen console than the other

Shocking News! :p

I hadn't given it much thought but it'll be nice to see the consoles handle a 60 player Battlefield match now. Console versions of BF were always slightly borked because of the limited playercount and maps that were designed for larger scale skirmishes.

64 players. Yes BF4 will be pretty much on par with the pc version. No more overly gimped player counts.

Wait till you see Planetside 2.

Anyone have an idea how much games will cost at launch? Reckon they'll be £50.