NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Can we be careful with the GoT spoilers. I'm only on the first season, plz, thnk u.

Great read. I'm kind of amazed at how...flawless Sony's PR has been for the PS4.

The big interview: Sony's Jim Ryan on PS4, DRM and the next-gen console war

Choice quote,

Every design decision but also every business policy decision has been taken with the gamer in mind. And we've been fairly uncompromising with that. Some decisions which might have appeared unpalatable to an accountant like myself - no, I'm going to do that, because that's not what the gamer wants.

You can tell by the reaction yesterday that that decision's probably vindicated.

EDIT:

Also, here's the Greatness Awaits ad. Not sure if it's already been posted, cannot be bothered to check.

Edited by Daft

Put my deposit down for a PS4, now i'm debating. Once i see a release date, i'm contemplating either getting Black Flag for the PS4 if it comes in November or making it the final game for the 360. Depends, but i have ordered a copy of each at present and will cancel one nearer the time.

Put my deposit down for a PS4, now i'm debating. Once i see a release date, i'm contemplating either getting Black Flag for the PS4 if it comes in November or making it the final game for the 360. Depends, but i have ordered a copy of each at present and will cancel one nearer the time.

I personally don't think Black Flag is going to be all that next gen and won't really benefit.

I personally don't think Black Flag is going to be all that next gen and won't really benefit.

It's down for a potential PS4 release, i'll wait and see nearer the time. Got both a 360 and PS4 pre-order down at moment, also looking at other games for launch. Not 100% sure what to pick up as of yet

It's down for a potential PS4 release, i'll wait and see nearer the time. Got both a 360 and PS4 pre-order down at moment, also looking at other games for launch. Not 100% sure what to pick up as of yet

We'll see nearer release date. Some games are also quite rough hence tough to judge. The ground up launch games without PS3/360 versions do seem to be under lots of pressure. Seems like its worth keeping an eye on Gamescom and TGS.

That Eye stuff is pretty awesome and would probably benefit some core games. None of them will use it though.

@Agent Gibbs Yeah, no worries. I'm pretty good at averting my eyes, just sign-posting my current GoT catch up effort. :hehe:

Stuff on t3 about the app side of things:

Even more exciting was the PlayStation companion app, which will be available for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets (in this case an Sony Xperia Z tab, obviously) as well as the PS Vita.

This is what the likes of Ubisoft are using in Watch Dogs and The Division as Sony's answer to SmartGlass, but here it was used to draw objects on a very simplified version of art package and literally 'throw' them on to the big screen. It's basic so far, but again, there's real potential there if they can expand the options.

The Play Room, a thoroughly enjoyable tech demo that's not confirmed for any official release, makes great use of the cam and we think Sony would be bonkers not to include as a getting-to-grips-with-the-hardware retail release. Maybe it could be packaged with the PlayStation Camera now Sony has confirmed that omitting that from the PS4 box was a way of keeping the costs down

http://www.t3.com/reviews/sony-ps4-review

I'm not saying this stuff is mind blowing but its good to know its out there and not being thrust at us quite as hard as smartglass.

I'm not happy about having to pay for online multiplayer. It may be the best deal ever but I don't want all those games and I probably will never play them.

I'm glad to hear that they all use Sony's app rather than lots of separate ones.

I'm glad to hear that they all use Sony's app rather than lots of separate ones.

Yes I'm assuming that the APK andAPI for all this stuff and the communication between the two is provided as part of the dev tools and that's a good thing in my book.

One feature I would like is if you can set yourself as "available" on the mobile app, so you can get game invites while the console is on standby. Then you press "join" in the app and it sends a message to boot up your console and (if you have the disc in or the digital version) load the game and join the match.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-shares-relevant-details-on-playstation-plus-requirement-for-multiplayer-on-ps4/

Some PS+ information

- Free 2 Play titles like PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online don't need PS+ for online play. Other Free 2 Play titles will be up to the publisher.

- Elder Scrolls Online will require PS+, though.

- Some online features, such as trading and asynchronous online gameplay (sending ghost data/times, I presume) do not need PS+.

- Drive Club Plus Edition has "slightly reduced functions".

- The want to invest heavily in improving the online infrastructure. Doing this and not charging isn't feasible.

I'm not happy about having to pay for online multiplayer. It may be the best deal ever but I don't want all those games and I probably will never play them.

Fair enough but from that argument surely the question arises: Why would you bother buying the console at all if you don't want to play the games? :heh:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/12/e3-2013-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-shares-relevant-details-on-playstation-plus-requirement-for-multiplayer-on-ps4/

Some PS+ information

- Free 2 Play titles like PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online don't need PS+ for online play. Other Free 2 Play titles will be up to the publisher.

- Elder Scrolls Online will require PS+, though.

- Some online features, such as trading and asynchronous online gameplay (sending ghost data/times, I presume) do not need PS+.

- Drive Club Plus Edition has "slightly reduced functions".

- The want to invest heavily in improving the online infrastructure. Doing this and not charging isn't feasible.

What is this supposed to mean? The PS+ version of the game is inferior to the disc based version of the game or something?

EDIT: Good news of the F2P games for non PS+ people tho as there will be some if not alot so options for everyone.

I suspect Drive Club Plus will be the multiplayer component.

But if you have Plus to get the game, you also have online multiplayer access. Would it simply not work once unsubscribed? Silly if you ask me.

It's a free game I would have bought - now I can use that money for another title.

580410_486058638137549_1196441996_n.png

35393415.jpg

But if you have Plus to get the game, you also have online multiplayer access. Would it simply not work once unsubscribed? Silly if you ask me.

You could probably do a practice mode but it would have career.

I'm just guessing. I literally/metaphysically/actually do not know.

What is this supposed to mean? The PS+ version of the game is inferior to the disc based version of the game or something?

I think it has reduced cars and tracks, you can then 'upgrade' to the full version i think, pretty sure I read that somewhere.

If that is the case, they have indeed nerfed Plus.

But this is a launch day game, so I can understand. Perhaps there will be a £10-£20 "upgrade" (which would have to give you ownership of the game).

Fair enough but from that argument surely the question arises: Why would you bother buying the console at all if you don't want to play the games? :heh:

I don't want the games that they're giving me that I would never have bought anyway or already own.

I want to play the games I like without having to pay extra charges to get games I don't like and to be able to fully experience the games I've already paid for.