Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

3DS has low software sales because there are very few third parties developing for it in the west. As such, the vast majority of 3DS game sales come from Nintendo titles, which often break 2 million units a piece. Most third party games in Japan sell alright to decent amounts. However, as you yourself have put forth, the west is the bigger market.

As such, software sales aren't necessarily based upon pricing, but rather more based upon the lack of software coming for it away from first party content. You can't sell what doesn't exist.

Pricing is not necessarily an issue, when Pokémon X & Y sold 11.67 million in two and a half months. Only four Xbox 360 games have sold more than this, and one Playstation 3 game. Other Nintendo titles sell decent amounts too. Lowering price would help, sure, but it's not the massive issue.

When the attachment rate is under 4 games per unit I would say pricing is an issue. The 3DS was highest selling platform in the US and UK in 2013 but software sales really dont indicate that.

When the attachment rate is under 4 games per unit I would say pricing is an issue. The 3DS was highest selling platform in the US and UK in 2013 but software sales really dont indicate that.

Yes there is barely any third party support in the west but even still people seem to buying the hardware for 2 – 3 specific games and not buying anything else.

Nintendo could do something about the older titles being priced so high. Am I right in thinking a person who buys a 3DS today can expect to pay around £30 for NSMB2, LM2, DKCR, MK7 etc?

Its a lot of money for people to pay for the older library.

Pricing is not necessarily an issue, when Pokémon X & Y sold 11.67 million in two and a half months. Only four Xbox 360 games have sold more than this (Kinect Adventures, Grand Theft Auto V, Halo 3 & Call of Duty: Black Ops), and one Playstation 3 game (Grand Theft Auto V). Other Nintendo titles sell decent amounts too. Lowering price would help, sure, but it's not the massive issue.

You cannot suggest that because Pokemon games sell at full price that the pricing for all 3DS games is therefore suitable. You're making a link between Pokemon, the video game equivalent of crack cocaine to some, and all other 3DS games.

Not all games have such appeal as Pokemon so the price coming down would certainly help.

I think it's all really interesting. I think the PS4 has a really weak lineup with not loads of exciting games coming up. Wii U has loads of great games, not loads in the future, but some potential big hitters. Xbox had a decent launch lineup, a big big game in titan fall and then similar to PS4...

Before the nobs start - IN. MY. OPINION!!!!!!

Yet PS4 is blowing everything out of the water... It just shows what "perception" is absolutely vital...

Well, most great games aren't usually exclusive to either the X1/PS4, so I think it's a case of people rather having the best of the two consoles to play them on. And I think some people remember- PS3 had some rather nice exclusives throughout its lifespan and has Plus going for it too.

With regards to the Wii U lineup, the only thing that interests me is X at the moment. Everything else feels a little overdone by this point. SSB I frankly couldn't care less about these days, despite Melee being one of my favourite games back in the day. I just don't see where they can go with it that they haven't already.

I think it's all really interesting. I think the PS4 has a really weak lineup with not loads of exciting games coming up. Wii U has loads of great games, not loads in the future, but some potential big hitters. Xbox had a decent launch lineup, a big big game in titan fall and then similar to PS4...

Before the nobs start - IN. MY. OPINION!!!!!!

Yet PS4 is blowing everything out of the water... It just shows what "perception" is absolutely vital...

Guess its all about value as well. The PS4 is priced at £350. Thats the most powerful console on the market priced at just £350. You then have the people like me who wanted a next gen console after the last gen dragging on for far too long, people were hungry to jump into the next generation.

Did Nintendo offer value for the wii u? £299 for a console which was barely more powerful than the 360/PS3 severley lacking in 3rd party content, a 32GB harddrive, shoddy services and online networking (compared to XBL, PSN and Steam) and a tablet style controller that nobody asked for.

Not sure its down to perception when really Nintendo just launched the wrong product. Unless your a Nintendo hardcore what incentive was there to purchase a Wii U?

Edited by liger05

Is piracy an issue for the 3DS? Just wondering if that might be keeping the attach rate so low. I know it was a major problem on DS.

No. The only flashcard that plays 3DS games currently is awkward to use and requires separate memory sticks for each game. It hasn't really been taken to.

Is piracy an issue for the 3DS? Just wondering if that might be keeping the attach rate so low. I know it was a major problem on DS.

No and even so the DS still so loads of software. Smartphones are the problem.

Think how many IOS/Android games a parent can get for £30. More than enough to keep the kids quiet.

Guess its all about value as well. The PS4 is priced at £350. Thats the most powerful console on the market priced at just £350. You then have the people like me who wanted a next gen console after the last gen dragging on for far too long, people were hungry to jump into the next generation.

Did Nintendo offer value for the wii u? £299 for a console which was barely more powerful than the 360/PS3 severley lacking in 3rd party content, a 32GB harddrive, shoddy services and online networking (compared to XBL, PSN and Steam) and a tablet style controller that nobody asked for.

Not sure its down to perception when really Nintendo just launched the wrong product. Unless your a Nintendo hardcore what incentive was there to purchase a Wii U?

perception... i bought a Wii U at launch for many of the reasons you stated why nobody wanted it.

£299 for a console with a game, a tablet controller and a pro controller. On par versions of 3rd party games not like the cartoon versions of FIFA etc that Wii got. 32GB Hard Drive which is more than ample unless you download your games which I don't. Free online services and networking (compared to XBL, PSN) and a product that i saw great incentive to buy.

I keep hearing how the Wii crowd have moved onto tablets and nobody wanted a tablet controller for Wii U which is just about the most contradictory statement I have heard. Nobody has yet to explain or justify this to me.

Much like Nintendo keep rehashing their games and yet FIFA and COD which get yearly updates are the biggest selling games. Another completely contradictory statement and also a complete bullshit one. Nintendo as a whole release one game per game console. There have probably been more versions of COD on 360 than Mario Kart in it's entire 25 year life span.

I sold my 360 a few years back and I appreciate that I am in a minority of people who own a Wii U as my only console, but because of that it's brilliant for me as all the launch games which were ported across I did not have, so I now have a huge library of games to play.

I keep hearing how the Wii crowd have moved onto tablets and nobody wanted a tablet controller for Wii U which is just about the most contradictory statement I have heard. Nobody has yet to explain or justify this to me.

They have moved on to tablets and phones. If they had stuck around then the likes of the Wii (insert title) games would be selling. The console would also be selling a hell of lot better than it is.

People started buying smart phones and playing on the throw away games that are dirt cheap or free. They figured they didn't need a console to play games. They also have Wii Fit like apps on these devices which is why Wii U Fit was never gonna bring them back.

The Gamepad is also seen as a shoddy comparison compared to the multi touch technology that is in these smart devices. It doesn't bother me much but to the general public it can easily be seen as a downgrade.

perception... i bought a Wii U at launch for many of the reasons you stated why nobody wanted it.

£299 for a console with a game, a tablet controller and a pro controller. On par versions of 3rd party games not like the cartoon versions of FIFA etc that Wii got. 32GB Hard Drive which is more than ample unless you download your games which I don't. Free online services and networking (compared to XBL, PSN) and a product that i saw great incentive to buy.

Which the market resoundly said no to. Like it or not XBL/PSN have set a standard and Nintendo's offerings is well below that. FFS it doesnt even offer a standard account system. Surely you can see why on par visuals with 7 year old platforms could be a problem?

Well lets compare the gamepad to an ipad or nexus for instance. Weak battery life, lower screen resolution, capacitive touch screens etc. Why would anyone who already has an Ipad be interested in the gamepad?

Much like Nintendo keep rehashing their games and yet FIFA and COD which get yearly updates are the biggest selling games. Another completely contradictory statement and also a complete bullshit one. Nintendo as a whole release one game per game console. There have probably been more versions of COD on 360 than Mario Kart in it's entire 25 year life span.

As has been mantioned many times before its not the titles its the lack of genre of games. There are only so many platformers people can take. Nintendo lack variety in there software portfolio.

You have every right to be the opinion that the Wii U is great and your more than happy. However when a console is failing is every region its launched in you have to wonder whether the product is the problem.

PS3 and 360 are not long dead. New games are still coming out for them. Microsoft and Sony are both still supporting them.

What I'm saying is that the January sales of games in North America were dire across the board. Unless the PS4 and Xbox One figures are suddenly good. They're good compared to the rest, but they're not exactly what they should have been considering the previous months, marketing etc.

You know what I mean; their strongest hardware and software selling years were what, 2009/2010? It's like commenting on current Wii sales on N64 sales in 2002 lol. PS3 and 360 will never reach the figures they did a few years ago; their market stop growing years back. Please stop this now.

I know what you mean about Jan figures being poor, but a lot of that is due to Microsoft and Nintendo both releasing expensive consoles that people didn't want. Only Sony have a console out there which is appealing to the public and every single one they put out has sold. If there were more desirable consoles on the market, sales would ultimately be higher. That's true not just across gaming, but across any medium.

Edit: @Clownferret, the reason CoD and FIFA sell year after year is primarily because they are multiplayer focused and online. Does anyone actually play either of those games in single player? Get rid of the multiplayer and you'd see people complaining about the yearly updates, as they would with any game.

Also, the Wii U is not a console with a tablet, it's a console that has a screen on the controller. You can't compare the functionality and practically of an iPad (I use mine for meetings, emails, browsing etc) to the use of a gamepad, which is basically just for gaming. They are completely different devices.

Edited by Goron_3

another Wii U 1st party release bombs!

this console is toxic. Like it has been said before, you do have to wonder what the actual active userbase is?

how many people packed away console or traded it in?

Wii U sales didn't increase at all with a major release.

I dread to think what the weekly sales will be in a few weeks.

sub 5k soon. :o

Just seen something on Amazon Japan that's of interest.

You can still pre-order a Playstation 4 and get it on launch day. Not only this, the console bundles available on Amazon include a download code for Knack and the Camera.

It's looking like, as suspected, the Playstation 4 might not sell too well at launch for Japan. I think the Metal Gear themed PS4 is going to pick up sales quite a bit though, it wouldn't surprise me if quite a few customers ditched their pre-orders when that thing was announced.

You can still pre-order a Playstation 4 and get it on launch day. Not only this, the console bundles available on Amazon include a download code for Knack and the Camera.

It's looking like, as suspected, the Playstation 4 might not sell too well at launch for Japan. I think the Metal Gear themed PS4 is going to pick up sales quite a bit though, it wouldn't surprise me if quite a few customers ditched their pre-orders when that thing was announced.

Yes the Comget pre order number wasn't looking to great either. I think the fact that Sony released the ps4 in Japan last and months later suggests they know that Japan will be a harder sell than the west.

I've read recently that they've sold through 60% of their pre-orders (as of January 1st). They've got a huge stockpile just for Japan so I think it will sell pretty well, especially once they get some RPGs on that system.

I've read recently that they've sold through 60% of their pre-orders (as of January 1st). They've got a huge stockpile just for Japan so I think it will sell pretty well, especially once they get some RPGs on that system.

It will do well at launch as well just will drop off quicker than it has done here.

I feel bad for Retro Studio's. DKCR:TF has been reviewing impressively, It looks stunning, and it's bombed. Okay only week 1, But man... they deserve better.

Just hope it gets sales here and in USA. Not holding my breath though.

Onto another game. How do people think Thief will do?

I feel bad for Retro Studio's. DKCR:TF has been reviewing impressively, It looks stunning, and it's bombed. Okay only week 1, But man... they deserve better.

That's really the sentiment I've been feeling about Nintendo as a whole, of late. Their output has been phenomenal, yet the games just aren't selling.