N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

I don't see any kind of Wii U comeback happening until the end of the year. :hmm:

Pikmin 3 and W101 despite being first-rate titles were never going to make much difference. I actually reckon Wii Fit U has a better chance of increasing Wii U sales.

But it'll be Super Mario 3D World and then Mario Kart 8 that should finally get the ball rolling.

I don't see any kind of Wii U comeback happening until the end of the year. :hmm:

Pikmin 3 and W101 despite being first-rate titles were never going to make much difference. I actually reckon Wii Fit U has a better chance of increasing Wii U sales.

But it'll be Super Mario 3D World and then Mario Kart 8 that should finally get the ball rolling.

I dont know. I wouldnt be suprised if Mario 3D did just 200k in its first week in Japan which would be low. I know Pikmin and Wonderful 101 were not expected to be huge sellers but still could of done better. Well Wonderful 101 should of performed much better.

Really Pikmin 3 and W101 should of been titles complement the big hitters. Mario Kart was needed for the holiday season!!!

Rayman should do better for Ubisoft on Wii U but I think Watchdogs is going to bomb hard.

More disappointing is with Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 there still hasnt been much movement in Wii U HW sales.

I still think this was silly to expect - I know games sell hardware yadda yadda but tbh Pikmin 3 was meant to be launch and W101 has been revealed for quite some time - I think they sales they were going to make had already been made.

I wonder if the Vita is going to see any uptick in sales with the price drop of both the console and the memory cards.

This is what I'm most curious about. There's quite a lot of value in the Vita to keep some people content for a while, especially considering the 10 game megapack is still available and at the new price. Heck, the reduction in the price of memory cards makes that bundle even more attractive, because you can probably fit them all on a 32gb card.

As for the Wii U, it's going to see a slight up take but seriously, we need to realise what audience the games are catering to here, and it's simply going to the usual Nintendo fan which can only do so much.

Japanese Charts: The Wonderful 101 Only Managed To Sell 5,000 Copies

This week’s Japanese sales charts are in courtesy of Media Create. Sadly, it has been a terrible week for the recently released The Wonderful 101. The game only managed to sell a dismal 5,258 copies, placing it at number fourteen in the software charts. Wii U sales have dropped again, this week the console only sold 7,030 units compared to the previous week when it sold 12,047 units. Here’s the Japanese software and hardware top ten.

1. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III – Pride of Justice
  2. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life
  3. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  4. [PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III – Pride of Justice
  5. [PSV] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu
  6. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life
  7. [PS3] Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
  8. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  9. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon
  10. [3DS] Youkai Watch

• Nintendo 3DS: 51,097
  • PlayStation 3: 12,689
  • PlayStation Vita: 11,507
  • Wii U: 7,030
  • PSP: 5,735
  • Wii: 1,103
  • Xbox 360: 196

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/08/28/japanese-charts-the-wonderful-101-only-managed-to-sell-5000-copies/

Edited by Wii

I honestly don't know why anyone would be shocked over the performance of The Wonderful 101.

The game didn't look 'mainstream', it looked quirky and odd. It also looked a lot like another game - Pikmin. Pikmin was released a few weeks earlier, is a lot more popular and people went out and purchased it.

It was really poor timing for a game that was never going to light up the sales charts anyway.

I honestly don't know why anyone would be shocked over the performance of The Wonderful 101.

The game didn't look 'mainstream', it looked quirky and odd. It also looked a lot like another game - Pikmin. Pikmin was released a few weeks earlier, is a lot more popular and people went out and purchased it.

It was really poor timing for a game that was never going to light up the sales charts anyway.

I don't think anyone was expecting a miracle with the game but 5000 is probably far less than anyone would have expected. Then again given the history Platinum games have with sluggish sales it really shouldn't have been a surprise.

Bayonetta

The PS3 version shifted 95,000 copies on launch day, compared to the modest 45,000 copies on the 360.

Vanquish

The Japanese shooter sold 47,000 units on the PS3 and 9,000 units on the Xbox 360 in first day sales.

Metal Gear Solid: R

. Konami and Platinum Games' excellent cyberninja slashfest moved a healthy 335,791 copies in the Land of the Rising Sun last week.

Anarchy Reigns

Meanwhile, Platinum Game's highly anticipated Anarchy Reigns failed to sell well in its debut week. The PS3 version came in eighth place with 21,199, while its 360 counterpart was way down at number 28 with 4,170 sales.

Now look at what MadWorld and W101 have done.

Madworld

For the first week on sale MadWorld only moved 4,600 units, which is pretty poor considering the number of Wii owners in the country.

Wonderful 101

Maybe Platinum Games on a Nintendo console don't mix? I mean all the other titles on that list are new IPs as well ( apart from MGSR) yet they managed to do better than both these titles.

I'm not shocked, just massively disappointed. :sad:

Also, it's unfortunate if one of the reasons for the poor performance is because it looks like Pikmin, because not only is it absolutely nothing like Pikmin, it's a better game than Pikmin 3 too.

I think the main problem is that the W101 just doesn't come across well via description or even videos, it looks like a confusing and hectic mess. Even when you play it, you're initially left wondering what the hell is going on.

But it's a game that rewards patience and exertion, and it seems like not many people are willing to spend the time or put the effort into a game like that any more. ::shrug:

I'd like to say it's their loss, but it'll eventually be mine (and everyone else that enjoys original gameplay experiences) too. :(

Also, it's unfortunate if one of the reasons for the poor performance is because it looks like Pikmin, because not only is it absolutely nothing like Pikmin, it's a better game than Pikmin 3 too.

I think the main problem is that the W101 just doesn't come across well via description or even videos, it looks like a confusing and hectic mess. Even when you play it, you're initially left wondering what the hell is going on.

But it's a game that rewards patience and exertion, and it seems like not many people are willing to spend the time or put the effort into a game like that any more. ::shrug:

I'd like to say it's their loss, but it'll eventually be mine (and everyone else that enjoys original gameplay experiences) too. :(

So many dismiss it as "kiddie" too, due to colours and subject matter.

Would like to see a kid not die 15 billion times in each level here

It's also being sent out to die in the US, with it being released 2 days before GTA V and 5 days before the digital version of Wind Waker.

Yep. The US sales will be brutal. Why they chose to release in such a short window between those two games baffles me.

Maybe Platinum Games on a Nintendo console don't mix? I mean all the other titles on that list are new IPs as well ( apart from MGSR) yet they managed to do better than both these titles.

The Madworld bomba was crazy. For it to sell so few with the Install base of the Wii was insane.

You have to fear for Bayonetta 2 you really do.

I dont no if Platinum/Nintendo dont mix. It seems that various third parties have problems selling software on Nintendo consoles. It's a common occurence.

Edited by liger05

It comes across like Pikmin though. It's hard to capture what it's about, and everyone references Pikmin, or think of Pikmin, as the closest descriptor for it. Slowly, a number of people see them as two similar games and opt for one or the other. Personally I haven't bought it yet because I feel I really ought to finish Pikmin first(which also I wasn't going to buy til later either).

It comes across like Pikmin though. It's hard to capture what it's about, and everyone references Pikmin, or think of Pikmin, as the closest descriptor for it. Slowly, a number of people see them as two similar games and opt for one or the other. Personally I haven't bought it yet because I feel I really ought to finish Pikmin first(which also I wasn't going to buy til later either).
It does, yeah. I made the same mistake the first time I saw W101. But in actual fact, the only similarity is that you have a large number of characters on screen at once. Gameplay-wise they're chalk and cheese.

W101 really needs to be played (and played extensively) in order to be understood/appreciated. That's why those of us that have done so are disappointed with how the game is being received.

PS4 vs Xbox One - Pre-Order Totals to August 24th 2013

VGChartz has gathered the pre-order numbers for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The latest data is up to the week ending August 24, 2013. This includes the week of Gamescom, which set a record for biggest gaming trade show in Europe with more than 340,000 visitors. The pre-order numbers are for the US only and give an estimate how each console is doing about three months before release.

Up until the week ending August 24 the PlayStation 4 currently leads in the total number of pre-orders in the US with about 600,000. This is up significantly since E3 where there were only 75,000 pre-orders. The Xbox One is still lagging behind with 350,000 pre-orders. This is also way up since E3 where there were only 45,000 pre-orders.

I know it's VGChartz...but it's at the least a bit of a litmus test.

Wii U Rayman Legends outsold the 360 and PS3 versions in the UK last week on its debut

LW

TW Title Format Label Publisher

1 1 SAINTS ROW IV XB360 DEEP SILVER KOCH MEDIA

2 2 SAINTS ROW IV PS3 DEEP SILVER KOCH MEDIA

3 3 TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: BLACKLIST XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

- 4 FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN PS3 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

5 5 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

4 6 TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL: BLACKLIST PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

- 7 FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN PC SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

6 8 DISNEY INFINITY XB360 DISNEY INFINITY DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS

- 9 PAYDAY 2 XB360 505 GAMES 505 GAMES

7 10 ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

8 11 THE LAST OF US PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

10 12 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

11 13 DISNEY INFINITY WII DISNEY INFINITY DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS

- 14 RAYMAN LEGENDS WII U UBISOFT UBISOFT

9 15 DISNEY INFINITY PS3 DISNEY INFINITY DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS

- 16 MADDEN NFL 25 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

- 17 MADDEN NFL 25 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

- 18 RAYMAN LEGENDS XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

12 19 FIFA 13 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

- 20 RAYMAN LEGENDS PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

23 21 MAX PAYNE 3 XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

16 22 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

18 23 MAX PAYNE 3 PS3 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

34 24 TOMB RAIDER PS3 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

26 25 MARIO KART 7 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

17 26 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV XB360 XBOX 360 CLASSICS TAKE 2

25 27 LUIGI'S MANSION 2 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

19 28 TOMB RAIDER XB360 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

22 29 ASSASSIN'S CREED III XB360 XBOX 360 CLASSICS UBISOFT

36 30 LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

32 31 LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

35 32 SKYLANDERS GIANTS WII SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

15 33 THE BUREAU: XCOM DECLASSIFIED XB360 2K GAMES TAKE 2

21 34 GRAND THEFT AUTO EPISODES - LIBERTY CITY XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

28 35 FIFA 13 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

33 36 BATTLEFIELD 3 XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

30 37 MARIO AND LUIGI: DREAM TEAM BROS. 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

- 38 LOST PLANET 3 XB360 CAPCOM CAPCOM

- 39 RED DEAD REDEMPTION: GOTY XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

29 40 FAR CRY 3 XB360 XBOX 360 CLASSICS UBISOFT

Wii U Rayman Legends outsold the 360 and PS3 versions in the UK last week on its debut

Now that is a positive. The game kinda bombed as usual and will get a price cut but good to see Wii U owners did buy the game after splinter cell and W101 bombed.

Platform split:

Rayman Legends (7+):

Wii U (45)

Xbox 360 (30)

PS3 (24)

PC (1)

The Wii U version sold significantly more than the other versions.

I am legitimately shocked! :o (That face is no exaggeration!)

Never would've expected that to happen! A sign of hope at last? Or the power of Mario & Luigi costumes perhaps :laughing:

So sad to see TW101 fall off the face of the earth though :( (Even Pikmin 3 just barely outsold it). Well, at least it did better than Lost Planet 3! :laughing: (should've localised EX Troopers instead Capcom!)

Edited by Dcubed

I am legitimately shocked! :o (That face is no exaggeration!)

Never would've expected that to happen! A sign of hope at last? Or the power of Mario & Luigi costumes perhaps :laughing:

So sad to see TW101 fall off the face of the earth though :( Well, at least it did better than Lost Planet 3! :laughing:

Not sure the source but apparently, between the four (Wii U, 360, PS3 and PC) it was separated as

45%/30%/24%/1% respectively

Pikmin 3 is at #39 and Wonderful 101 is at #40 in the all format full price chart