N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

I can't see them ditching the gamepad. Get rid of the basic bundle, it's a joke. The Wii U needs a €100 price drop to compete but there's no way they're going to do that. The writing has been on the wall even before it launched. It's a mess and there's no way out now.

There is a solution. Ditch the basic pack and drop the Gamepad. Make that an optional extra, sell the console with the pro controller and make every game playable with that. This would cut costs and allow a significant price drop.

As it stands a £50 - £75 price drop will do little. Retailers have already tried this and the results have seen very little gain.

Dropping the gamepad is a horrible idea. Why can you not see it? If anything, that'd make things worse

I think they should pretend the Wii U is an iteration like the DSi and launch a completely new console, that isn't awful.

But seriously, I think they should just stop making home consoles.

Both options would irreparably damage the company.

Neither is going to happen

And in any case, how would going third party irreparably damage the company?

Being platform agnostic would be the best thing to ever happen to Nintendo.

Hmm personally I agree with a few things Iwata has said about this, in the short term it probably would be a good idea, sales and profits wise at least. But in the long term interests of the company they would loose out and become 'just' another developer. With their own platforms, they retain a uniqueness which I think is needed to keep the industry interesting! I could see them going handheld only though :)

They would never be just another developer. They'd have just as much sway as Activision and EA, probably even more since their portfolio of IPs is so unique. Not to mention that there are plenty of developers that have a unique style even though they are 'just' developers - Naughty Dog being one example.

They'd still have the handheld market but they clearly cannot cope with the duties of being a dual platform holder.

Indeed there are plenty of developers with unique and brilliant styles, I meant that Nintendo are unique for creating the platforms and the games to go with them.

It is now possibly the case that they can't support two consoles, sure I read somewhere that yet another reason Wii U is suffering with games is that because the 3DS started off so badly they pulled in teams to make games for that. With the sales figures the 3DS consistently posts perhaps focussing their energy on one console is the best way forward.

Although I don't believe they would hold that much sway for long, maybe in the short term, but if SEGA can go from a similar position to where they are now the same could happen to Nintendo :)

They'd still have the handheld market but they clearly cannot cope with the duties of being a dual platform holder.

Nintendo have been competing in both the handheld and home console departments for years. You make it sound like they've suddenly decided to make a home console and are suddenly terrible at it.

With the exception of the Wii, which handled itself, Nintendo haven't had a competitive home console since the SNES.

Indeed there are plenty of developers with unique and brilliant styles, I meant that Nintendo are unique for creating the platforms and the games to go with them.

It is now possibly the case that they can't support two consoles, sure I read somewhere that yet another reason Wii U is suffering with games is that because the 3DS started off so badly they pulled in teams to make games for that. With the sales figures the 3DS consistently posts perhaps focussing their energy on one console is the best way forward.

Although I don't believe they would hold that much sway for long, maybe in the short term, but if SEGA can go from a similar position to where they are now the same could happen to Nintendo :)

Sega were nowhere near the company Nintendo was.

Their unique platforms have only work 50% of the time. The Wii and the DS were a success. The Wii U and the 3DS (in terms of using the 3D gimmick) are complete failures. Nintendo are unique because they insist on staying in the hardware market, not because their games require it. A great game will be great on any platform.

Dropping the gamepad is a horrible idea. Why can you not see it? If anything, that'd make things worse

Why? Nobody cares about the Gamepad now. Nintendo dont even care about the Gamepad. Taking the gamepad away wouldnt negativly effect a consumer buying decision. What it would do is reduce production costs and allow the console to be sold cheaper. The price has a lot more say on what a consumer decides rather than a gamepad which has done nothing to enhance the vale of the wii u.

Sega were nowhere near the company Nintendo was.

Their unique platforms have only work 50% of the time. The Wii and the DS were a success. The Wii U and the 3DS (in terms of using the 3D gimmick) are complete failures. Nintendo are unique because they insist on staying in the hardware market, not because their games require it. A great game will be great on any platform.

True but Sega produced a lot more quality titles when they had hardware to support rather than when they went 3rd party. Since going 3rd party the quality output from Sega has decreased to a near non existent level.

It doesnt have to be like that though. Nintendo just need to wake up and start buying western studios to share the workload.

Edited by liger05

If they drop the gamepad, what have they got? It's their unique selling point even though they've done nothing compelling with it. It'll basically be a PS3/XBOX360. 3rd party support if it's even possible will be even worse.

If they drop the gamepad, what have they got? It's their unique selling point even though they've done nothing compelling with it. It'll basically be a PS3/XBOX360. 3rd party support if it's even possible will be even worse.

A cheap box to play HD Nintendo games. More than enough to get sales up to a healthy amount. Hell, the Gamecube was a catalogue of failures but still got to around 22 million units sold, and that went up against the PS2 of all things.

Nintendo's software has and will always be the key Unique Selling Point.

But wasnt the GC at least on par with the others power wise?

Much more powerful than the PS2; they just never showed it off in a way that the averge ps2 gamer cared enough. Most people I knew looked at Wind Waker and Mario and thought PS2 games looked better.

I still think a powerful, HD Nintendo console that stuck with motion controls would do brilliantly if they marketed it well. Price it at £199 with quality Nintendo software and it would defo sell.

It's interesting that Nintendo have never sold that many home console units compared to say Sony. The PS3 will likely finish up as the worst selling playstation and it will certainly outsell the SNES and Gamecube combined.

Been a while since I last looked in here..

But boy am I glad that I decided not to adopt a Wii U. Publishers are going to wait to see numbers. The numbers wont arrive until whenever the fuck the party starts in 2014. Development starts after the party begins.

Question is, will the party ever really start? Nintendo are so fucking loopy lately that they might fully fuck this up. Never answer a question you can't answer honestly *cough*region free debate*cough, and never try and fuck over a well hyped event *cough*trying to deny EVO the Smash Bros Melee tournament*cough.

Edited by Debug Mode

Been a while since I last looked in here..

But boy am I glad that I decided not to adopt a Wii U. Publishers are going to wait to see numbers. The numbers wont arrive until whenever the fuck the party starts in 2014. Development starts after the party begins.

Question is, will the party ever really start? Nintendo are so fucking loopy lately that they might fully fuck this up. Never answer a question you can't answer honestly *cough*region free debate*cough, and never try and fuck over a well hyped event *cough*trying to deny EVO the Smash Bros Melee tournament*cough.

To be fair, the EVO thing wasn't exactly Nintendo being stupid.

The organisers of EVO spoke to a couple of people in Nintendo about it and they said it sounded good, but the organisers never took it to the legal department because they were afraid of being told no. Then, one person in the legal department spotted that they were doing it and told them to stop.

It's the organisers fault for not doing things properly, not Nintendo

The organisers of EVO spoke to a couple of people in Nintendo about it and they said it sounded good, but the organisers never took it to the legal department because they were afraid of being told no

Well, this is news to me. I know they never spoke to the legal department, but to be fair, for as tournament based on a 10 year old game, what harm was it ever going to do Nintendo without permission?! Heck, all I can think of is the many immense positives. You can say all you want that Nintendo wasn't being stupid because the organisers didn't seek permission, but we all know the fact they tried to cancel it was a retarded and douche move.

Also, source on the allegation that they deliberately skipped asking the legal team for permission for fear of being told no, while asking other employees? Genuinely curious, first time I've heard that part of the story.

Edited by Debug Mode

Top 40 Entertainment Software (All Prices), Week Ending 9 August 2013

1. MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION - MICROSOFT

2. FIFA 13 - ELECTRONIC ARTS

3. THE SMURFS 2 - UBISOFT

4. TALES OF XILLIA - NAMCO BANDAI GAMES

5. ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEA - NINTENDO

6. THE LAST OF US - SONY COMPUTER ENT.

7. CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

8. LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

9. TOMB RAIDER - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

10. ASSASSIN'S CREED III - UBISOFT

11. FAR CRY 3 - UBISOFT

12. NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED - ELECTRONIC ARTS

13. GRAND THEFT AUTO IV - TAKE 2

14. LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

15. MAX PAYNE 3 - TAKE 2

16. THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - LEGENDARY - BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

17. MARIO AND LUIGI: DREAM TEAM BROS.- NINTENDO

18. GRAND THEFT AUTO EPISODES - LIBERTY CITY - TAKE 2

19. BATTLEFIELD 3 - ELECTRONIC ARTS

20. SAINTS ROW: THE THIRD - THE FULL PACKAGE - KOCH MEDIA

21. RED DEAD REDEMPTION: GOTY - TAKE 2

22. LUIGI'S MANSION 2 - NINTENDO

23. PIKMIN 3 - NINTENDO

24. THE SIMS 3: ISLAND PARADISE - ELECTRONIC ARTS

25. GRID 2 - CODEMASTERS

26. BIOSHOCK INFINITE - TAKE 2

27. CRYSIS 3 - ELECTRONIC ARTS

28. DEAD ISLAND: RIPTIDE - KOCH MEDIA

29. THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - BETHESDA SOFTWORKS

30. HITMAN ABSOLUTION - SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

31. TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 14 - ELECTRONIC ARTS

32. SKYLANDERS GIANTS - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

33. LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER: THE CHASE BEGINS - NINTENDO

34. DEAD SPACE 3 - ELECTRONIC ARTS

35. GOD OF WAR: ASCENSION - SONY COMPUTER ENT.

36. MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER - ELECTRONIC ARTS

37. CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 3 - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

38. SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR 2 - CITY INTERACTIVE

39. REMEMBER ME - CAPCOM

40. INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US - WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

http://ukie.info/content/ukie-week-32-2013-uk-video-games-charts