NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

The Vita has so many indie games coming, but I wonder if they'll be released in Japan. And if they do, whether they're even make any sort of impact.

Game and Wario = bomba!!

Dragon Quest X never needed to be released on Wii U. Hope it was worth it for S-E!

Dragon Quest XI on 3DS no doubt..

LM2 selling really well and totally deserves its success. Animal Crossing is a beast!

Wii U sales an improvement but not good enough.. Will be tanking back at the 10k figure next week and beyond.

Edited by khilafah

Again, I'm not saying it's necessarily good. I'm saying it's an improvement. It's so easy to twist numbers to suit any argument, good or bad. It's why I never bother getting into arguments over statistics, it's pointless.

It just seems like too often people act like they're experts when all they are doing is reading numbers and attaching their opinion to it :p

Where the hell do people get these shipment numbers from anyway?

Dude that's all it is opinions. The beauty of it is we all have different ones.

Jesus Christ that's just miserable to look at :(. Poor Game & Wario (DQX probably did a significant amount of its sales via the eShop, due to the half price offer to people who owned the Wii version so I'll reserve judgement on that one).

I don't know what Nintendo is gonna do to get momentum going for the console now. There's nothing on the nearby horizon that can give the platform a boost (no, I don't think that Pokemon Rumble U is gonna cut it) and a price drop would do nothing without software to back it up.

Thank God that the 3DS is doing well (as is LM2 and that unstoppable beast known as Animal Crossing New Leaf, cause I'm at a loss at how they can fix the Wii U's short-term prospects...

Jesus Christ that's just miserable to look at :(. Poor Game & Wario (DQX probably did a significant amount of its sales via the eShop, due to the half price offer to people who owned the Wii version so I'll reserve judgement on that one).

I don't know what Nintendo is gonna do to get momentum going for the console now. There's nothing on the nearby horizon that can give the platform a boost (no, I don't think that Pokemon Rumble U is gonna cut it) and a price drop would do nothing without software to back it up.

Thank God that the 3DS is doing well (as is LM2 and that unstoppable beast known as Animal Crossing New Leaf, cause I'm at a loss at how they can fix the Wii U's short-term prospects...

Don't forget that DQX was only out for 2 of the 7 days as opposed to other new releases that were out for four

Japan

04/24 Pokemon Scramble U

05/23 BioHazard: Revelations - Unveiled Edition

06/06 Injustice: Kamigami no Gekitotsu

Rabbids Land

06/27 F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition

Is June now not possible for any possible pikmin 3, wonderful 101, wii u fit game?

If so that would mean July is the earliest when we are going to see some serious games in Japan. July!!! That's insane and even by nintendo's standards that's just crazy. I dont think either of those games will do wonders but the console just needs a stream of solid releases to get things moving.

Edited by liger05

Is June now not possible for any possible pikmin 3, wonderful 101, wii u fit game?

If so that would mean July is the earliest when we are going to see some serious games in Japan. July!!! That's insane and even by nintendo's standards that's just crazy. I dont think either of those games will do wonders but the console just needs a stream of solid releases to get things moving.

If they don't announce any new release dates this month (most likely through a Nintendo Direct) you can count out anything else coming out until July.

Speaking of which, I was expecting Game & Wario to come out this month in the west. What the hell would make the localisation take so long!? Surely they're not intentionally holding back a finished game to space out the releases until July!? They need games now, not in 3 months time!

Why would June not be possible for it?

Why would June not be possible for it?

I wasn’t sure if it wasn’t or not that’s why I asked. When should the next Nintendo direct be. Middle of April?

I wasn’t sure if it wasn’t or not that’s why I asked. When should the next Nintendo direct be. Middle of April?

I'm amazed there wasn't one during GDC. I know it's meant to be for developers, but this is the week that (in the past) we learnt about Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Super Mario 3D Land!

I'm amazed there wasn't one during GDC. I know it's meant to be for developers, but this is the week that (in the past) we learnt about Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Super Mario 3D Land!

Maybe the stuff announced at that last Wii U Nintendo Direct was originally planned for GDC?

Maybe the stuff announced at that last Wii U Nintendo Direct was originally planned for GDC?

They definitely showed their hand early, it's just that they've often used GDC to show a big handheld game, whereas that Nintendo Direct ws specifically to boost the Wii U.

They definitely showed their hand early, it's just that they've often used GDC to show a big handheld game, whereas that Nintendo Direct ws specifically to boost the Wii U.

Whilst they have showed things off at GDC before, that's only been when Iwata himself is doing a keynote address and not always even then. He showed of Phantom Hourglass (2006), Spirit Tracks (2009) and Super Mario 3D Land (2011) but I don't believe he showed anything new in 2005 game wise.

Miyamoto did a speach in 2007 but only showed of more of Mario Galaxy.

Not too sure whether the console makers approach the GDC commitee or it's the other way round (I think that companies have to submit to them) but I'm guessing they didn't have anything they particularly wanted to show off game wise that the wider GDC platform would have benefitted them. It was supposed to be that they were banning console makers from doing keynotes to instead but the focus specifically on developers but clearly it hasn't happened so maybe there were crossed wires and they didn't thnk to prepare anything when they otherwise might have done.

So unless Iwata is giving a speach, I wouldn't necessarily look to GDC as a source of game announcements from Nintendo.

At least, that's my understanding of it all.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Week 14, 2013 - UK Individual Formats (Units)

01 (01) 360 BIOSHOCK INFINITE (TAKE 2)

02 (NE) 360 DEFIANCE (TRION WORLDS)

03 (04) 360 TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

04 (06) PS3 TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

05 (05) 3DS LUIGI'S MANSION 2 (NINTENDO)

06 (02) PS3 BIOSHOCK INFINITE (TAKE 2)

07 (07) 360 FIFA 13 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

08 (03) 360 GEARS OF WAR: JUDGMENT (MICROSOFT)

09 (12) PS3 FIFA 13 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

10 (13) 360 HALO 4 (MICROSOFT)

11 (14) 360 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

12 (11) PC SIMCITY (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

13 (22) PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED III (UBISOFT)

14 (NE) PS3 DEFIANCE (TRION WORLDS)

15 (20) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

16 (17) 360 ASSASSIN'S CREED III (UBISOFT)

17 (24) WII JUST DANCE 4 (UBISOFT)

18 (18) 360 CRYSIS 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

19 (19) 360 FAR CRY 3 (UBISOFT)

20 (16) PS3 GOD OF WAR: ASCENSION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

21 (__) PC THE SIMS 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

22 (33) 360 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

23 (31) WII SKYLANDERS GIANTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

24 (10) 360 ARMY OF TWO: THE DEVIL'S CARTEL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

25 (08) WIU LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER (NINTENDO)

26 (39) PC THE SIMS 3: UNIVERSITY LIFE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

27 (15) 360 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

28 (37) PS3 NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

29 (23) 360 SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR 2 (CITY INTERACTIVE)

30 (__) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV (TAKE 2)

31 (29) PS3 CRYSIS 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

32 (__) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO EPISODES - LIBERTY CITY (TAKE 2)

33 (__) PC FOOTBALL MANAGER 2013 (SEGA)

34 (27) PS3 FAR CRY 3 (UBISOFT)

35 (35) 360 THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)

36 (__) 360 LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

37 (40) 360 HITMAN ABSOLUTION (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

38 (21) PS3 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

39 (30) 360 FORZA HORIZON (MICROSOFT)

40 (__) 360 BATTLEFIELD 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

Edited by Helmsly

Wow, Tomb Raider really does have some legs. Glad BioShock is still up there, it's superb.

Japanese market shows growth for first time in five years

According to a report on Tech In Asia, based on data released by Enterbrain, in the fiscal year ended March 31 2013 the Japanese market grew by 1.2 per cent - a modest amount, but the first positive movement in the country since the Wii was at its peak.

Software sales for consoles and handhelds actually shrank by 1.2 per cent during that period, so all the growth came from hardware sales, which rose by 5 per cent year-on-year.

The dominant platforms in Japan are the Nintendo 3DS and 3DS XL. So far, public interest in the Wii U and PlayStation Vita has been muted, but Enterbrain nevertheless credits them with inspiring sales growth.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-09-japanese-market-shows-growth-for-first-time-in-five-years

This week in Japan

3DS LL 34,180

3DS 22,684

Vita 19,328

PS3 16,807

Wii U 14,783

PSP 8,876

Wii 1,718

Xbox 360 536

Only new entry in the Top 20 is Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge on PS3 which came in #15

Pachter gives his thoughts on the incoming March Wii U numbers. Bear in mind that he actually overshot his last estimation.

Nintendo had yet another bad month in March, according to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter.

In a research note to investors today, Pachter, who follows the gaming industry about as closely as any other analyst, said he believes Nintendo sold 55,000 Wii U units in the U.S. in March, representing a 17 percent decline compared to February. Perhaps even worse for Nintendo, its old Wii mustered 85,000 unit sales, falling 51 percent year-over-year, but still trumping a device that came out long before its latest.

Pachter, who each month releases his estimates on hardware sales based on channel checks, said that the Xbox 360 once again led the U.S. console market with 290,000 unit sales. The PlayStation 3 was close behind with 260,000 units sold, according to Pachter.

Related stories

The Wii U's troubles have been nothing short of worrisome for Nintendo. The so-called "next-generation" console was supposed to jump-start Nintendo's ailing hardware business and lead the company in its fight with upcoming competitors, the next Xbox and PlayStation 4. So far, however, it's done nothing of the sort, and turned into a black mark on Nintendo's earnings.

Still, Nintendo is hopeful. The company has said that it believes sales will be stronger once more titles hit the console's library and consumers take more time to focus on console gaming. Critics, however, say that Nintendo should simply cut the price of its console -- a nonstarter, so far, for the company.

In January, Nintendo chief Satoru Iwata argued that his company's Wii U pricing -- $299 for the basic set and $349 for the deluxe set, which adds the game Nintendo Land and some accessories -- is "a good price." He also echoed his company's earnings report, saying that he believes new entrants in the company's first-party library will "help Nintendo regain momentum for Wii U."

He might be right. But for now, the Wii U is getting beaten up. Badly.

The official word on March console sales will hit the wire Thursday, when research firm NPD announces its findings.

If these numbers do turn out to be true, or even around that mark, then it's a worrying time, considering in March you had 5 weeks and Lego City and Monster Hunter out on the shelves. There could be some interesting numbers come Thursday....

Good input. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome :p

Seriously though, Pachter is often wrong, even with his estimates. Too many people are thinking it's legit. I'd be surprised if it was

We all know he is wrong most the time. My point is that he was wrong last month as he overestimated. If he has done so again then things are looking grim. Yes, we will see what happens come Thursday but its fun to speculate and I'm still expecting around 70k-80k numbers.

Is there any good source for sales figures/an archive of them? Have there been any games that have appeared helped increase the Wii U's numbers notably?