N-Europe

Street Preachers

heroicjanitor

Whilst walking through town I have recently noticed an increase in street preachers. They are getting louder and way more in your face about it and I have been thinking it is surely illegal... Does anyone else think that preachers with microphones are disturbing the peace? If I was to stand with a microphone shouting about some shit I like, like programming or something, then I would be asked to stop.

For example:

If I called the police on this guy would he be told to stop / punished for repeatedly offending?

Edit: Also yelling at people that they are going to hell if they don't do what he says is surely a threat? :/

Edited by heroicjanitor

There's some guy who haunts the centre of Manchester with hate preaching. Unfortunately, it's not illegal. I think you can either ask a nearby business or police officer to ask them to stop and (if they ask the person) they have to comply.

There's some guy who haunts the centre of Manchester with hate preaching. Unfortunately, it's not illegal. I think you can either ask a nearby business or police officer to ask them to stop and (if they ask the person) they have to comply.

I was guessing that was the way :( Does Moogle's point not stand for religions? Damn governments always pretend to be secular but have random religion benefits.

Apparently it's illegal to operate a microphone system between 9pm and 8am. But I imagine not many do it then anyway.

If they are breaching another act (such as with racial hatred) then you can ask a policeman to stop them. Or if they are being aggressive (but I think they would have to be directing comments to individuals for that to apply).

More than anything, I just feel sorry for these people. I can't imagine what must have gone wrong in their lives to position them in the middle of towns spouting such nonsense. Life is for living when you're alive, not obsessing over what happen'll when you're gone.

You rot in the ground.

Religion is so unnecessary. All bibles should open and conclude with a single sentence.

Don't be a dick.

It's not quite the same as avoiding some dumb preacher, but I have occasionally engaged in conversation with leaflet toting religious fanatics in the street. I try to show as much interest and enthusiasm in their cause as possible to draw out and reaffirm they are nutcases. Most are.

These people also give out the best leaflets. Did anyone in London get the LONDON OLYMPIC booklet that was basically using the event to distribute religious bullshit to the masses? It features a gigantic athlete running alongside a London bus in a stroke of artistic wizardry.

One of my best leaflets came from a Jehovah's Witness. The leaflet featured a bunch of human beings and vicious beasts scattered about a forest paradise living in perfect harmony. A child is actually petting a bear and the parents aren't showing the least amount of concern.

Edited by Guy

I remember Leeds had street preachers a few times for one summer. Sheffield very, very rarely. Brighton has this one dude who hangs out on a corner (cranbourne street and West street) and just ask people basic spiritual questions. I had a phase where I'd stop and talk to strangers and had a lengthy chat with him. He was peaceful and didn't push anything.

It's the quieter ones that gain my respect. The ones who are all "THE END IS NIGH!" are clearly missing something - be it merely the ability to argue with pathos.

Was watching the video in the OP, got as far as

"if you die on your sins god will give you what you deserve, eternity in hell, that is not gods will"

erm... if god sends me to hell surely isn't that his will?

I don't mind people who want to believe in a religion, but I can't stand these types who want to force theirs on others thinking theirs must be the one true faith.

I love it when religious people (usualy Christians) toss the question at someone who doesn't believe in religion "What if your wrong".... but they don't get it when you toss the question back at them. With all the different religions in the world what if one others was actually right.

I always wanted to try have a debate with one of these loons on the street but I'd likely chicken out :heh:

Yeah, that reminds me of them Jehovahs people. I see them walking around with their kids door to door preaching. I mean, that itself is wrong. I don't like to see people push a religeon onto someone forcefully. What if that kid wants to be Buddist or Jewish.

Yeah, that reminds me of them Jehovahs people. I see them walking around with their kids door to door preaching. I mean, that itself is wrong. I don't like to see people push a religeon onto someone forcefully. What if that kid wants to be Buddist or Jewish.

I agree with the child thing, although how many religious people don't bring their child up in the same religion? (Not saying that makes it right, just wanted to clarify it wasn't just a Jehovah thing, as I wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at.)

I don't mind Jehovah's knocking on the door, as long as they aren't pushy. "Would you like to talk about God?" "No thank you." "OK, sorry to bother you." sort of thing is perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

The Jehovah's that are near me (or used to be, haven't seen them in years) were never pushy. Although admittedly of the two times that I answered the door, one I was in my boxers (I was in bed when they called), and the other I was dripping wet and wearing nothing but a towel (I was in the shower). That may be why I haven't seen them for a while. Although the girl that was with them was really hot so I wouldn't mind letting her inside me.

I think the whole Jehovah's/preachers thing follows a basic rule; if you're being calm and not pushy people won't mind, if you're knocking down doors, shouting through a microphone and telling people they're going to hell then don't expect any sympathy.

If they are instilling virtues, or moral beliefs that aim to strengthen the humanity in the person, then honestly I see nothing wrong with passing on religion as if it's a hereditary gift. If someone is publically visible to the extent which you can pass comments about them and their religious choices then surely it is feasibly certain that they are not sheltered and drilled with falsitudes.

I think it's a vast step to assume something akin to child abuse when you see jehovas witnesses door-to-dooring with their children.

Especially because the only Jehovas Witness kid I knew grew up to be an extremely reliable weed dealer, who renamed himself Ganesh.

I think it's a vast step to assume something akin to child abuse when you see jehovas witnesses door-to-dooring with their children.

You're the one making that jump, nobody mentioned or even hinted that it was anything near akin to child abuse. We only said it was wrong, not the degree to which it is wrong. I think watching TOWIE is wrong, but I'm not going to say being a fan is a bad as being a rapist.