NEurope
Debug Mode

Dem' moments in gaming...

Although it's definitely not retro, I've been replaying a game recently thanks to the metric ton of streetpasses I'm getting for it and just remembered the most recently "OH SHIT" moment I've had in video games.

Kid Icarus Uprising's credits just after chapter 9.

First time i played OOT and Link gets trapped in the Temple of Time for 7 years. Mind blown.

REmake - Lisa's cabin. Enough said.

Killer 7 - pretty much the whole game had me enthralled.

Those are the memories that stand out for me!

Edited by Pancake

This was/is so incredibly bad-ass!!!

YES KIRBY, YES!

The mere thought of another story mode in the upcoming smash is just, . . .oh dear god.

Edited by Fused King

YES KIRBY, YES!

The mere thought of another story mode in the upcoming smash is just, . . .oh dear god.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about all the bits of the SSE, that was pretty epic for what it was!

Anytime this happens...

Master_Sword_Retrieval_(A_Link_to_the_Past).png

Clearing the mist from the forest and hearing wise words from your only aid. Drawing it from the pedestal as a boy, only to use it as a man. Awakening a castle frozen in time. Removing a curse and making it a blessing.

The retrieval of the Master Sword never fails to send a shiver down my spine. The Zelda games have lots great moments and I could write a very long post about it if I could be bothered but I'll leave that to other people.

And this speaks for itself (literally so in-game).

super-metroid.e_02.png

And one more SNES era item...

164497-star-fox-snes-screenshot-intro-takeoff-sequence-s.png

They already had the amazing pre-title sequence and killer music but this was just the coolest thing I'd ever seen in a game at the time. From the digitised "good luck" to seeing the Arwings thundering down the hanger whilst "Emergency" blasts from the sound system with scramble emblazoned on the screen. And then the cut to out side as they burst out into action to the best piece of music in the franchise history. There was just nothing like it at the time.

Anytime this happens...

Master_Sword_Retrieval_(A_Link_to_the_Past).png

Clearing the mist from the forest and hearing wise words from your only aid. Drawing it from the pedestal as a boy, only to use it as a man. Awakening a castle frozen in time. Removing a curse and making it a blessing.

The retrieval of the Master Sword never fails to send a shiver down my spine. The Zelda games have lots great moments and I could write a very long post about it if I could be bothered but I'll leave that to other people.

Sadly, these moments have now been ruined because we know Fi resides in the Master Sword :laughing:

I just love the way she puts her heart and soul into singing:

Sadly, these moments have now been ruined because we know Fi resides in the Master Sword :laughing:

Don't start me SS. There was a reason I didn't mention the finding of the MasterSword in that game - I finished a second playthrough on the Saturday I wrote that post and still couldn't remember the details of exactly what happened.

I will just have to try and block her out of my head (which won't be difficult) whenever I play a Zelda game. I think it's fairly safe to assume she will never be mentioned again in the games.

Why does Fi residing in the sword now ruin finding the Master Sword?

Well, I was joking, but apparently Captain Falcon is dead fucking serious :laughing:

However, Fi doesn't really do anything for me in the Zelda series as a whole.

It would've been much sweeter if Ghirahim were to have been the resident of the Master Sword :)

@Fused King @Captain Falcon Why does Fi residing in the sword now ruin finding the Master Sword?

Because sometimes, you're just better off not knowing something. The MasterSword had mystery before and we all wanted to know how it came about. But ultimately the story behind it was a bit crap (and Fi was a terrible companion) and I for one would be a lot happier not knowing the events of SS and the "creation" of the Mastersword. There was more story in ALTTP the past concerning the tempered sword and golden sword than there was this.

It's a bit like the Star Wars midichlorian debacle - everyone wanted to know but the explanation was rubbish and aftwards, everybody wished they didn't.

In contrast, I happen to like the story behind Castlevania's Vampire Killer whip (another of gamings iconic weapons) and I think it's a suitable fit for the series so I'm not just being awkward here :p

Edited by Captain Falcon

Yeah, I can't help but agree with @Captain Falcon. Explaining back-stories is a bit of a fool's errand. Zelda was better when they established a really solid overworld/gameplay/atmosphere/graphics-engine and then added a story to that, rather than what they've done recently, ie. treat the story as so important the game seems to be built around it.

(Ends before this turns into a Zelda thread!)

I appreciate more of the older games now thanks to Skyward Sword and it's one of the reason why Skyward Sword is one of my top 3 Zelda games of all time.

YES KIRBY, YES!

I love how Ganondorf doesn't even act surprised that hitting that spot blew up the entire ship. Just immediately accepts it like "ah well" and leaves.

Also the animations for when Fi's singing along with the actual singing itself were terrible.

Probably going to have a lot of people disagree with me here, but:

6532498_std.jpg

When you fight her at the end of disc one and she impales Squall with ice.

I wish she'd replaced Squall in the party and he'd died, she was far more interesting than him

but i agree great moment

i personally would like to add this

The bit where Alexander fought Bahamut beforehand was epic too

Amazing way to end the game, the editing and the music in particular are stunning. Really fitting with the theme of the game and nice to hear the traditional Zelda tune which we seem to be hearing less and less of these days.

On a side note, the end of Spirit Tracks reminded me of this as well, on a smaller scale.

Amazing way to end the game, the editing and the music in particular are stunning. Really fitting with the theme of the game and nice to hear the traditional Zelda tune which we seem to be hearing less and less of these days.

On a side note, the end of Spirit Tracks reminded me of this as well, on a smaller scale.

I always expect to see Link look back, smile and wave at her when she runs to the end of the pier. But he doesn't the selfish bastard! :hmm:

Dammit we need a proper Wind Waker 2!

Do Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks feature his Nan and Sister or are they set way after?

Edited by Retro_Link

Spirit Tracks is an entirely different Link and Phantom Hourglass takes place after Link and the pirates have set sail for new lands, so none of the other characters return.

Dammit we need a proper Wind Waker 2!

Do Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks feature his Nan and Sister or are they set way after?

Phantom Hourglass is just a quaint adventure set during Link and the pirates' journey (Grandma, Aryll and the King of Red Lions are mentioned by an NPC, though)

Spirit Tracks is set 100 years in the future and only features descendants from characters that appeared in Phantom Hourglass. Outset Island is mentioned, though (Link named a village after it)

Edited by Jonnas

We do need a Wind Waker 2. The worst thing about Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks is if they've made people think we've had enough of Toon Link and the Wind Waker world...

We haven't!

We need to see a sequel done on a machine that can exceed the original. We need layers and layers of cel-shading (heck, the DS games weren't even cel-shaded!) We need those magic tones when you use the Wind Waker to play a tune. We need the same atmospheric lighting, but even better! We need that feeling again, where we're in the middle of a vast ocean, the wood creaks as you bob up and down on the waves. You could go north, south, east or west, or anything inbetween, but whichever way you went you know there's be an island to explore. We need that sense of "play", where you can pick up a Darknut's sword or a Moblin's staff, or put fire, ice or light on your arrows. Basically, we need another Zelda with charm!

Screw that, I would rather they do something like Majora's Mask again. Wind Waker was pretty but Majora's Mask pimp smacked it in terms of gameplay and atmosphere.

If anything, I'd certainly liked to see the world of Majora's Mask fleshed out more.

Now that we've finally discovered the origins of Hyrule in Skyward Sword, I'm definitely expecting a new setting for the next console Zelda.

Holodrum would also do :laughing:

This thread got derailed by Zelda pretty quickly.

Derailed, or.......put on the right Spirit Tracks?