NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Japanese Nintendo Direct Thread

The only thing that I'm a little disappointed at is the lack of Wii remote in the pack. I hope this doesn't mean we'll lose pointer controls as an option for FPS and 3rd person shooters - it's the best scheme available on consoles.

@Serebii - if you think there are morons over on Eurogamer, try looking on N4G, those people are the biggest dickheads on the planet!

Only one game at launch? Yeah, you've gotta be pretty retarded to believe that.

Expensive? Subjective. You can't really call out some one for being an idiot because of their views on price, especially considering that most of the world is going through a double dip recession and suffering a major squeeze on every day necessities like gas and electricity.

If we were still in 2007, then they'd be retarded, because a lot of people would see that price and think its an absolute steal.

I saw one person say that it shouldn't be more than 100€. That's not subjective. That's idiotic

I saw one person say that it shouldn't be more than 100€. That's not subjective. That's idiotic

I would agree but I'm seeing a lot of mixed talk going around. I thought I read the same shit go down on Kotaku, but it turns out people were actually talking about the price of the controller, which converted from the Japanese price (presuming it's not a rumour), would be around £105.

Do we know which games are launching in Japan?

Not yet. We should know more about games for all regions later today. There's a separate Japanese Direct for 1st and 3rd party software at the same time as the European and North American events this afternoon.

Might be too early for an exact line-up though. I guess we'll get a handful of games confirmed for 'launch window'.

I would agree but I'm seeing a lot of mixed talk going around. I thought I read the same shit go down on Kotaku, but it turns out people were actually talking about the price of the controller, which converted from the Japanese price (presuming it's not a rumour), would be around £105.

The person was talking about the console, because it's "6 years old technology"

Not yet. We should know more about games for all regions later today. There's a separate Japanese Direct for 1st and 3rd party software at the same time as the European and North American events this afternoon.

Might be too early for an exact line-up though. I guess we'll get a handful of games confirmed for 'launch window'.

Na, Nintendo knows how much they screwed up with the 3DS launch. They won't do that

The person was talking about the console, because it's "6 years old technology"

Well in that case if you threw out the gamepad completely, it probably would be 100 euro's. But yeah, that's pretty retarded.

Very poor hardware. Not sure what they are thinking. I think everyone had set their expectations low but this takes the cake. Anyhow will be passing on this, costs far too much for what it is (a very inferior 360/PS3). There is no stand out feature this time round like wii mote.

Very poor hardware. Not sure what they are thinking. I think everyone had set their expectations low but this takes the cake. Anyhow will be passing on this, costs far too much for what it is (a very inferior 360/PS3). There is no stand out feature this time round like wii mote.

Welcome out of the 'Other Consoles' section Choze.

WHy come on here to spout your typical utter bollocks. You have the biggest idiot on these forums for so long now. You're not interested, fair enough, but don't come on here when you don't know what you're talking about? You don't have to like it, but how is the tablet controller not a stand out feature? No one else is doing it. How is the console inferior?

Na, Nintendo knows how much they screwed up with the 3DS launch. They won't do that

I'm sure they'd like to announce a comprehensive launch line-up today, but I'm just thinking that the system is about three months away, and I can't think of many third parties jumping the gun and saying to Nintendo "absolutely, we'll have our games ready on launch day". Third parties have nothing really to gain doing that when their games haven't finished development.

Just think it's probably a wee-bit soon for a near-final launch line-up just now. We'll probably get NSMBU and Nintendo Land confirmed for day-one though.

Just think it's probably a wee-bit soon for a near-final launch line-up just now. We'll probably get NSMBU and Nintendo Land confirmed for day-one though.

Kinda hard to tell really. Nintendo waited until November 2006 before announcing the absolute final launch day list for the Wii, but they also had a preliminary list set up for the launch day that was released months before the price/release date was announced and we have nothing of the sort this time around...

There's a good chance that you may well be right, though I still reckon that they can't really wait any longer before showing off their online/OS stuff!

There's a good chance that you may well be right, though I still reckon that they can't really wait any longer before showing off their online/OS stuff!

Well there was that rumour (aren't these things called reports these days) that developers have only just been given access to the OS and online functionality and the reason for it's absence up until now is simply that it wasn't in a finalized form. They could still be tweaking it even now.

Personally, I think the day one crowd have already made up there mind about buying the thing (cost permitting) that they won't be losing sales by not showing it until right before release. There will only be so many untis after all. I don't think it will be a deal breaker for that sector of the market.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Was anyone else surprised at how little there was about the experience of using the Wii U? I was expecting more lifestyle type videos to demonstrate what was going to be in the box, what the peripherals were going to be (maybe missing out the cradle what DOESN'T charge the tablet) and so on.

No wireless sensor bar then.... shame.

Well there was that rumour (aren't these things called reports these days) that developers have only just been given access to the OS and online functionality and the reason for it's absence up until now is simply that it wasn't in a finalized form. They could still be tweaking it even now.

That didn't stop them from showing off unfinished OS/Online functions of the Wii & DS before they were ready for primetime (even though many of those features were delayed till after launch)

At the very least, they could show us mockups (like they have done with the Miiverse - I'm certain the videos they've shown aren't actually running on real Wii Us yet)

Just show something, anything. Show us how the hell you use the thing when you turn it on! (and how on earth you go into the shop and browse! or buy DLC!)

That didn't stop them from showing off unfinished OS/Online functions of the Wii & DS before they were ready for primetime (even though many of those features were delayed till after launch)

At the very least, they could show us mockups (like they have done with the Miiverse - I'm certain the videos they've shown aren't actually running on real Wii Us yet)

Just show something, anything. Show us how the hell you use the thing when you turn it on! (and how on earth you go into the shop and browse! or buy DLC!)

The Wii OS/online was the very definition of basic and clearly didn't take long to knock up. The 3DS equivalent still feels like an unfinished prototype to me. I'm just hopping this is a sign they are giving it a bit more thought than they have in the past. But it could look identical to the Wii and use the crappy one friendcode per game idea again for all I care. All I need to know is how much it costs and what the games are.

As for show us how to use the thing when we turn it on. If they've done their job right, it won't need any explaining at all. Whether you're using a Wii, Xbox, iPhone, Windows, Android OS, there is a certain standard that the public has come accustomed to and it's difficult to imagine Nintendo's final product will differ too much from that. They won't make it different for different sake if it's going to end up a cumbersome mess.

So if 8th December is the Japanese release, the US will probably get the console first in November but does that mean we'll get it November or December the 7th/8th (8th is a Saturday and since the 3DS XL release date was a Saturday it's possible we could get it the same day) as well? Anything after the 8th seems a bit too late.

Just some last minute speculation to keep us busy until 3pm. :)

So if 8th December is the Japanese release, the US will probably get the console first in November but does that mean we'll get it November or December the 7th/8th (8th is a Saturday and since the 3DS XL release date was a Saturday it's possible we could get it the same day) as well? Anything after the 8th seems a bit too late.

Just some last minute speculation to keep us busy until 3pm. :)

The XL released on the Saturday officially but everywhere had it on sale on the Friday and Nintendo were perfectly happy with that. Being an alternative device, rather than a true successor probably led to the relaxed attitude.

My money is still on Friday 7th December, as, like you, I think anything after would be cutting it too fine. The marketing spend required to promote the thing after everybody has spent up just wouldn't be worth the effort.

Couldn't NoE do what they did with the 3DS and various games and release it Europe the Friday before America?

Couldn't NoE do what they did with the 3DS and various games and release it Europe the Friday before America?

Possible, but considering that Japan has to wait till December, I doubt it.

The US console absolutely must be released before Black Friday, under any circumstance it must not come out after that day. I really doubt that the EU will get it before the US if they've had to push back Japan's date till December...

They could do... but they won't. Nintendo's number one priority will be getting as many units to America ahead of black friday and if that means we don't get it until Decemeber, like Japan, then that's what they'll do.

I'd love to proven wrong of course.

Theoretically, yes.

However, the bulk of launch units will go to America to hit Black Friday. America is where console gaming is core. Japan is a handheld place. Europe is both.

We'll get it in December morethanlikely

And just as I was speaking about the morons from N4G, Choze appears to demonstrate exactly what I'm talking about!

If by 'inferior' you mean 'superior' and by 'no stand out feature' you mean 'the a dual screened home console with a touch screen' then you are correct.

I was reading this thread got to @Serebii 's post about the euro gamer article, raged at the comments particularily one i was going to post

Regardless, more than £199 for this kind of hardware is a disaster in my eyes.

because it was ludicrous for anyone to think that is a disaster since the ps4/720 will easily be over £350 and the same people will praise it for being cheap and probably 0.2 times more powerful than the WiiU

and then i saw Choze's comment

I don't even know where to begin,

The GPGPU? better than current, likely same as next gen (as in type of GPU before i'm jumped on)

2Gb memory, better than current, likely same/close to what next gen will be

the very poor can only be the hard drive or lack of it...... oh no i can choose what ever size hard drive i want to connect via USB oh the humanity i'm not tied to what is released like MS and can only upgrade with a new console or dismantling it! NO the horror

yeah i raged over that comment, and i've never had a problem with Chose before but that thats like uhhhh i'm stopping typing

Edited by Agent Gibbs

WHy come on here to spout your typical utter bollocks. You have the biggest idiot on these forums for so long now. You're not interested, fair enough, but don't come on here when you don't know what you're talking about? You don't have to like it, but how is the tablet controller not a stand out feature? No one else is doing it. How is the console inferior?

Well maybe it could be a big thing. But the rest of the hardware is rather uninteresting. They could have taken it up a direction like the Wii. This seems confused so far. Also Nintendo's online strategy wont amount to much given the space they are providing is less than most smartphones nowadays.