NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Japanese Nintendo Direct Thread

Well maybe it could be a big thing. But the rest of the hardware is rather uninteresting. They could have taken it up a direction like the Wii. This seems confused so far. Also Nintendo's online strategy wont amount to much given the space they are providing is less than most smartphones nowadays.

Remember that you can just stick in an HDD by USB or an SD card...

That's Nintendo's idea. Proprietary space causes issues. Run out of space in an internal HDD? You're fucked. Use proprietary formats? Money grabbing

Here, they're allowing the users to tailormake it. You can get a 128GB SD card for like £60 if you look far enough. You can get a 1TB external HDD for around £120

It can tailor make it for everyone's desire

That's Nintendo's idea. Proprietary space causes issues. Run out of space in an internal HDD? You're fucked. Use proprietary formats? Money grabbing

Here, they're allowing the users to tailormake it. You can get a 128GB SD card for like £60 if you look far enough. You can get a 1TB external HDD for around £120

Exactly, it's about making it as affordable as possible so people can get the bolt ons that they need or want.

Look at the Vita. That has a large focus on digital purchase then completely shoots itself in the foot due to the cost of memory cards and virtually no in-built storage.

Spot on. 8GB (or 32GB) is just a launching pad to get you started and in that respect, it's plenty. This thing is ridiculously open in terms of storage and dirt cheap to upgrade.

Even for your average joe, the concept of adding more storage to your computer/mobile isn't a foreign concept (hell chances are that you have a few SD cards or flash drives lying around anyway)

HDDs are large in terms of physical size, fragile and worst of all become more expensive to manufacture over time (that's why the PS3 and 360 are constantly increasing the size of their HDDs. It actually becomes more expensive to manufacture the same small size HDD as manufacturers stop producing them in that specific size. They keep adding bigger hard drives in order to keep the manufacturing costs constant)

Flash storage however is small, reliable, very fast and steadily goes down in price over time. Nintendo made the right choice in going with it.

Edited by Dcubed

I don't know where you shop for HDDs but if you are paying £120 for a 1TB drive then you are being sorely ripped off. I'm looking at 1TB device right now for £65. Your SSD price is about right though.

SSDs get exponentially more expensive as you increase the memory capacity - HDDs don't but have a higher starting price. Hardware manufactures have been conning the public for a while with the ridiculous charges they place for having an extra 16 or 32GB of internal space even if it is super low latency.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I don't know where you shop for HDDs but if you are paying £120 for a 1TB drive then you are being sorely ripped off. I'm looking at 1TB device right now for £65. Your SSD price is about right though.

SSDs get exponentially more expensive as you increase the memory capacity - HDDs don't but have a higher starting price. Hardware manufactures have been conning the public for a while with the ridiculous charges they place for having an extra 16 or 32GB of internal space even if it is super low latency.

I'm still stuck in the 90s :p

I'm still stuck in the 90s :p

The computer I had in the 90s probably wouldn't have understood the concept of a terabyte.

I personally think the jump from 8GB to 32GB is fairly insignificant when it comes to the purpose of downloading games that they shouldn't have even bothered offering a choice. The guy from Sumo Digital talked about how the extra RAM meant they didn't have to use such compressed textures in the new Sonic Racing game, and that's great, but it will lead to some heafty file sizes if all developers follow suit. Batman: AC on the PC, with nicer textures than the consoles, was an 18GB file - that's before the DLC mind. And there are far bigger games than that out there.

It should do most people for VC games mind. GC games, if they are made available, range all over the place but even games like the Zelda's don't exceed 1.2GB in space.