NEurope
Cube

Windows 8

Quick check on Wikipedia states the Windows 8 version does indeed include an Anti Virus. :)

Edited by Ike

Yeah just opened 8 back up and opened Defender, it is pretty much MSE with a different name.... don't see why they didn't just continue to call it MSE.

They have a phobia of keeping to three letter abbreviations. Poor MSN messenger...

I must say, the new Windows 8 Nokia Lumia 920 looks amazing! But I'm not sold on trying to make a desktop a tablet with unnatural mouse swipes and no start bar.

Personally I think Windows 8 should play to the strengths of each device. You wouldn't want desktop Windows on a phone, nor would you want phone Windows on a desktop.

Hmmmm, really considering getting one of the Surface tablets and using it as my next laptop.....will have to see what sort of pricing the Surface Pro has before i decide.

I've always said i'd like my next laptop to either be an ultrabook or possibly a laptop with detachable tablet. It also depends on what job i get after my phd, and whether i'll need a laptop for that.

Still, the surface does look incredibly snazzy...

Ach forgot this is out this week.

You think Windows 7 discs will still be on sale after Friday (on like Amazon and elsewhere online) and might become really cheap?

Thinking of saving for a new laptop next year and/or building my own desktop.... would prefer Windows 7 than 8 :heh:

I was tempted to get this as an impulse purchase as it is fairly cheap, but apparently if you're on Win7 Pro you can only jump to Win8 Pro, not vanilla. Anyone want to confirm (i.e. do the legwork for me :p)?

Windows 8 upgrade for £50 is the pro version. Unless you mean the £15 promotion, or do you want the non pro release?

I'm happy with it, but reading on The Verge seems to suggest you can only go from Pro to Pro.

Well I'm getting my boxed copy tomorrow hopefully so I'll let you know if it tells you, but all I've seen is that you can upgrade from any version of Windows 7. The upgrade assistant certainly didn't stop me. Turns out the £15 upgrade offer is also Pro, thought it was the vanilla version. Finished downloading my upgrade. :) (Yes I bought 2 copies, figured might as well while they are cheap.)

Not actually sure if I want to install it though.

I installed a copy as a virtual machine to play around with it, and for the most part i like it. However, i did find that without touch controls/windows button i did get stuck a couple of times and not know how to get out of certain screens. That's probably just me being stupid though.

I'm going to wait and see how much the Surface Pro is and possibly get that.

Probably a stupid question, but if I upgrade my Windows 7 to 8 and enter the key do I lose the Windows 7 key? Still undecided on installing it or not but want to be sure I can revert back to 7 if I wanted to.

I guess if I upgrade without using the key, then the Windows 7 key should still work? Although I think I read that your forced to enter a key...

However, i did find that without touch controls/windows button i did get stuck a couple of times and not know how to get out of certain screens. That's probably just me being stupid though.
It really isn't just you. That's the biggest problem I have with the interface, straight up obvious tasks like going back a page, closing a settings screen or shutting down are hidden away and not at all intuitive.

Popped into a computer store (of a certain name, not mentioning it) to try out Windows 8 for myself. Tried it with mouse/keyboard controls on a desktop and via touch/keyboard via a desktop. And the tablet version. From the hour of using, i found that touch is the best and most effective way to navigate and use Windows 8. Using the mouse, it felt wrong and clunky.

Microsoft have made a good O/S for tablets/touch devices. But an awful one for the standard desktop. I'm sticking to 7 for the foreseeable future.

Quick check on Wikipedia states the Windows 8 version does indeed include an Anti Virus. :)

Yes, just checked and was happy..But right now Windows 7 works better so later would switch to 8....

Spent a while in the Sony Centre playing around with their new slider tablet. Was pretty impressed by the tablet and Windows 8. Playing around with in on something which actually has a touchscreen makes the OS much better.

I'm definately considering getting some sort of hybrid as my next laptop. Maybe not the slider, but perhaps the Yoga or soemthing similar. I need to wait and see how the Surface Pro turns out too.

Spent a while in the Sony Centre playing around with their new slider tablet. Was pretty impressed by the tablet and Windows 8. Playing around with in on something which actually has a touchscreen makes the OS much better.

I'd be interested in seeing if it's any good on larger touchscreens (as in standard monitors with touchscreens). My work PC has a touchscreen but I never use it because I have to reach upwards, so it's quicker using the mouse.

Perhaps it'll be fine on Sony's 20" tablet.

Can I ask a question?

Whenever I open such things as an pdf file for example(current case) it opens in what I assume Microsoft calls an app, on an entirely new screen not connected with the desktop I'm sticking with. Not as a window at the toolbar or browser toolbar like it would before. And that's ok.

But it seems to be two ways to open or exit that pdf screen. Hover the mouse in top left corner and click, or swipe my finger on the touchboard from the top left corner and to the middle. The issue is that I sometimes accidently do that second method when I simply want move the mouse to a different part of the screen to click on whatever when for example on the internet. So how do I "disconnect" this?

My dad got a good deal on a laptop from Comet just before they stopped trading, so I've managed to have a bit of a go with Windows 8 now, albeit it in a laptop/pc rather than tablet setting and tbh...I'm not sure if I like it.

I find it hard to find things, I don't get why sometimes IE will open in 'app' form(kinda as described above) and not be on my desktop, but WILL open in my desktop/taskbar if I pin it there and use that. I don't know how to quickly get to my computer, I'm getting lost getting to some things some times(where's an easy start/app menu so I can find all my programs?!) and additionally it seems sometimes it just does random stuff and I have no clue why! I'll be doing something and suddenly something else like browser choice pops up and interrupts me! With no obvious way to close! I probably need a bit more time with it and to get used to it, but it seems a bit weird at the moment.

I'm getting lost getting to some things some times(where's an easy start/app menu so I can find all my programs?!)

If your in the Metro interface, right click anywhere not on a tile or press the Windows key + Z to get all apps.

Some useful keyboard shortcuts:

Win + Q = Apps search

Win + W = Settings search

Win + F = File search

Win + X = Brings up a quick access menu for stuff like the control panel.

Win + I = Settings page and quick access to power options.

Or just start typing it will search for it. Pretty much how I use the Windows 7 start menu anyway.

How do I start Defender? When I try to start it I get a message saying it is deactivited and mention something about if another app is running. I assume it is McAfee but I wouldn't be surprised if that works for a limited time. I will see if McAfee can find the virus bugging my browser, but if not, can I just deactivate McAfee and then run Defender?

Having a proper look through Windows 8 (yeah, i upgraded for £15 (thanks to the T+C's)). It's pretty quick, and i managed to get it to boot to desktop (thanks to a former N-E member in Jordan). My only gripe is that MS don't like the Aero glass and have removed the coding for that. Which is slightly annoying.

I got the license code for it, and i have the disks for Windows 7 in my wardrobe in the need i feel a change back. It's heading that way i believe.

If anyone was thinking at all about upgrading to Windows 8 at some point before 2015, today is the last day that it will be £25 (plus tax) to buy Windows 8 Pro. After today it goes back up to £150+.

I considered buying it and saving it onto a USB for future use, but thinking about it, i think i'll just survive with 7 until my laptop finally dies, and then just buy a new laptop with 8 already on it.

Anyway, 31st Jan is the last day for that deal.