NEurope
Cube

Windows 8

Maybe not, but it won't be as cheap as £25 for a while i reckon.

Incidentally, if you download it now, you have until Oct 2015 to install it!

I still got a license for 8 dotted around which i bought on the deal, so if i feel like downloading it again i may. But for now, i'm sticking with Windows 7. It does the job for me.

I bought Windows 8 just before the deal was due to expire and installed it... It's pretty good really! I'm not a power PC user or anything, 99% of my time is spent browsing the web, listening to music and chatting online through Skype and IRC. It's great being able to dock Windows 8 apps to the side of the desktop window, usually having a web browser open full screen in desktop mode with Skype or IRC on the side. Speaking of desktop mode, it runs a whole lot faster than Windows 7 which for me was worth the £25 :D Now I just need an iTunes app...

They really don't make it easy for people building new computers. Ordered the OEM edition from Amazon for a clean install on my new SSD since the only option you'll find elsewhere is an upgrade

£68.49?????

Seems a bit much for an OEM version.

Also, you can install an upgrade as a new install. Well, you could with Windows 7.

£68.49?????

Seems a bit much for an OEM version.

Also, you can install an upgrade as a new install. Well, you could with Windows 7.

I read that you couldn't with 8.

You can do a clean install over an operating system, but you can't do a fresh install on a new HDD

Edited by Serebii

So I used Windows 8 for the first time as a client had just got a new computer.

I'm sure she must've accidently been using the tablet version. I opened up Internet Explorer and it automatically went full screen. The only way to get to the tab bar was by right clicking. The only way to change to another program was by going to the bottom right corner, waiting on the menu to pop up then clicking the windows button where it takes you back to Metro or whatever its called.

I found what was the desktop by opening Word up. But things didn't seem to go onto the Task Bar like usual.

Did I do something wrong or is it really that bad?

That sounds to be correct. You need to press the Windows button (on the keyboard) to go to Metro from a full-screen program.

That sounds to be correct. You need to press the Windows button (on the keyboard) to go to Metro from a full-screen program.

Yeah I figured that out.

It was terrible. Why would anyone who wants to be able to work at a reasonable speed with multiple programs at the same time want it?

I absolutely hate the full screen "start menu". The Windows 7 Start Menu is brilliant with plenty of options and a damn good built in search.

I only really see metro as like a start up screen, it pops up then i clsik the giant desktop icon i put there......then i never see it again

What's Metro???.

I use Startisback which restores the start menu, so it boots to desktop. I've also triggered it to never pop up the Metro theme.

So making Windows 8 functional seems to be all about making it as much like Windows 7 as possible.

Windows 8.1 has a boot to desktop option. Also it adds back the start menu*.

* Which just opens the Metro view. :p

^ Yeah what the hell is this shit!

I've just downloaded 8.1 and it's bollocks. The Start button doesn't do anything!... just returns you to Metro. WHAT!

Also since downloading, Internet Explorer no longer works. It opens a window which is blank, does not respond, and then closes itself. Thank fuck I already had Chrome installed as an alternative otherwise what on earth would I do!

Microsoft, you continue to astound me with your crap and bullshit.

^ Yeah what the hell is this shit!

I've just downloaded 8.1 and it's bollocks. The Start button doesn't do anything!... just returns you to Metro. WHAT!

Also since downloading, Internet Explorer no longer works. It opens a window which is blank, does not respond, and then closes itself. Thank fuck I already had Chrome installed as an alternative otherwise what on earth would I do!

Microsoft, you continue to astound me with your crap and bullshit.

Internet Explorer not working, that's a good thing isn't it?

Downloaded 8.1 last night, not that it matters. The Start menu feature only allows boot to desktop and then launches Metro, you have to physically right click the Start button to get the options available. Which is just like a normal right click menu, pointless. They may as well have done nothing.

It's got some other touchy things to it, but they don't bother me. And you can now customise Metro with sections for Aps and a new wallpaper feature where you choose the background. And i swear on desktop view, the Aero has returned.

Oh well, Startisback has bought an 8.1 app out so at least i can use a fully functional Start menu again.

Edited by Jimbob

So now 8.1 is out with the boot to desktop, I'm wondering if it's worth updating from 7? Does anyone actually use Windows 8?

You can boot directly into the desktop?... tell me how!! ;p

Right click the task bar and go to properties. The option is in there under the navigation tab.

So I used Windows 8 for the first time as a client had just got a new computer.

I'm sure she must've accidently been using the tablet version. I opened up Internet Explorer and it automatically went full screen. The only way to get to the tab bar was by right clicking. The only way to change to another program was by going to the bottom right corner, waiting on the menu to pop up then clicking the windows button where it takes you back to Metro or whatever its called.

I found what was the desktop by opening Word up. But things didn't seem to go onto the Task Bar like usual.

Did I do something wrong or is it really that bad?

Download 8.1, it returns the start button and simply instead of a Start Panel popping up it simply takes you to the Metro hub page which allows you to select your programme.

If you don't like the full screen metro interface for the browsers (which I didn't) simply change the options so everytime you open a programme it opens it in traditional desktop mode.

Once you've done the above, the Metro screen simply acts like the Start Panel in Windows 7 just with more stuff and greater customisation to allow you to display the things you use the most and switch between live tiles for e-mail, Skype etc.

It's actually pretty decent, you just have to spend an hour tinkering with it to get the set up correct. It took me half a day to figure it all out!

Download 8.1, it returns the start button and simply instead of a Start Panel popping up it simply takes you to the Metro hub page which allows you to select your programme.

If you don't like the full screen metro interface for the browsers (which I didn't) simply change the options so everytime you open a programme it opens it in traditional desktop mode.

Once you've done the above, the Metro screen simply acts like the Start Panel in Windows 7 just with more stuff and greater customisation to allow you to display the things you use the most and switch between live tiles for e-mail, Skype etc.

It's actually pretty decent, you just have to spend an hour tinkering with it to get the set up correct. It took me half a day to figure it all out!

Thanks for the advice, although I can't say I'll be using it any time soon. I think the problem is that you shouldn't have to spend half a day to figure it all out, you should be able to use it instantly without even thinking. After 20 years of being trained to use a computer in a certain way the whole world shouldn't have to re-learn.

Thanks for the advice, although I can't say I'll be using it any time soon. I think the problem is that you shouldn't have to spend half a day to figure it all out, you should be able to use it instantly without even thinking. After 20 years of being trained to use a computer in a certain way the whole world shouldn't have to re-learn.

This was exactly my problem with it.

To be fair though, the system I used was Windows 8 on a 24 inch all-in-one I bought for my dad. It took me half a day to figure it all out, then I left him with it for half a day and he asked me a few questions. But since then he hasn't rang me once with any problems - which I find odd! What's more he really likes the way the new Metro start screen brings up his e-mails and live tiles with football scores and news!

So if my dad can get used it, it can't be that bad haha!

My dad is the same. At first he had a couple of questions (mostly to do with the new version of Office that our came with) but after that he had just got in with it.

I think we spend too much time moaning about how different new stuff is rather than just getting down to learning how to use it.