NEurope
jayseven

Fruit.

Whenever I eat an apple while walking down the street, I genuinely feel like a badass. In my head, I'm all "yep, that's right. It's an apple. LOOK AT HOW HEALTHY I AM. Bet you want one now too, huh?"

Today I also purchased a mandarin, and attempted to eat that whilst walking. It most definitely is not a fruit which appreciates divided attention - it requires you to sacrifice one hand to being sticky until you next encounter a washbasin. It also doesn't quite lend the same stylish aura that public apple eating offers; if you attempt the mandarin a lá pomme, then you're going to get juice down your front/up your arm/diagonally beardwise. Also, whilst spitting the pips out at first is immensely satisfying, you have to realise that from a distance it looks like you're just spitting like a common bogan. It's effectively like eating a drink, only you're left with this weird juice-casing mesh that isn't particularly appealing in its own right, and doesn't really offer the same spitting-fun as pips.

Clearly, bananas and grapes are the champions of all fruit, however eating a banana in public is a whole other realm of awkward.

Side-note: when I was younger, my mum used to say that I could throw my applecore in the gutter "for the birds." I've never seen a bird eat apple.

Apples are king of practicality. Some fruits (such as the aforementioned citrus and peaches and plums etc.) are best left for at home.

What are people's view on litterin with fruit? For example, is it ok to throw an apple core on the ground?

Personally I think it's fine, as long as you throw it where it can rot (so somewhere grassy/bushy, not on the pavement), and somewhere where it won't get in the way 9so under a bush rather than on the green where people will be sitting/playing/walking). After all it is organic, so it will feed the soil, and will feed a few animals as well. Even at home I will open the door and throw the fruit remains into the conifers or something, rather than filling up the bin.

Yeeeeees! Give me some of that fruit. Love it. I like eet allll.

I adore bananas. I take some to work with me all the time. Apples are great, but I usually find I want to wash my hands straight afterwards, so I only tend to eat them at home.

Best thing about summer: Strawberries. I have some in the fridge right now, just waiting to meet their doom: my mouth. I find oranges quite fiddly, so I don't tend to use them outside of home either, really. Unless I have access to a knife and I can slice them. Mmm.

Favourite fruit of all has to be pineapple. I eat it on my pizza, along with tuna. It goes amazingly well in some curries, too. It's just heaven. I used to go through a phase of eating it in the morning before work. So lovely.

On the subject of littering with food/apples: I've never personally done it. But, that's because it was always drilled into us at school and home, that rubbish should go into the bin. I guess there's no real problem in it.

I dislike the taste of most fruit. I like grapes and bananas. If I had a fruit basket in my house it would be full of tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. I love eating them.

I prefer strawberry flavour to strawberry actual... I also really want to like peach and mango, but I have a weird thing with new/unusual food; trying to 'get used' to the combination of taste and texture is an actual process for me, which takes actual time. Cube, maybe you're the same?

Pineapple chunks are alright on pizza, but not the best. But probably the 2nd-best fruit for the job.

I dislike the taste of most fruit. I like grapes and bananas. If I had a fruit basket in my house it would be full of tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. I love eating them.

Asda do an amazing pizza for 2 quid with pesto and cherry tomatoes. It is seriously good. Surprisingly good. Pizza actually tastes like something you'd get in a restaurant.

I prefer strawberry flavour to strawberry actual... I also really want to like peach and mango' date=' but I have a weird thing with new/unusual food; trying to 'get used' to the combination of taste and texture is an actual process for me, which takes actual time. Cube, maybe you're the same?

Pineapple chunks are [i']alright[/i] on pizza, but not the best. But probably the 2nd-best fruit for the job.

I prefer peach flavoured yoghurt to actual peaches. Mango is ok, not one of my favourites. If pineapple is number two, what is number one?

Really dislike bananas personally. Even the smell of them is enough to make me gag. Never been able to stomach them, even when I was younger. Pineapple on pizza, or in any cooked dish like some types of Jerk Chicken, is a no-no for me as well. Love pineapple fresh but it doesn't taste right when cooked.

Do love fruit though. Used to do a strawberry, orange, peach and kiwi fruit salad with a bit of biopot yoghurt for breakfast which was just superb for a summer's morning. Haven't done that in awhile. Always leave the peaches a few days so that they soften up and have lots of juice... mmm :D

Strangely, I hate grapefruit as I find it too sour for my liking but absolutely love blood oranges which can also sway that way. Shame they're hard to get hold of and that Tropicana have stopped doing their Sanguinello/Blood Orange juice as it was really good.

Asda do an amazing pizza for 2 quid with pesto and cherry tomatoes. It is seriously good. Surprisingly good. Pizza actually tastes like something you'd get in a restaurant.

Asda's create your own pizzas are godlike. I have a 14" one every Monday.

hmm tuna and pineapple, haven't tried that one..... yet

I'm not a big fan of fruit and I find the great majority of it annoys my tum (ibs)

I like it in small doses... the ocassional banana, some pineapple, maybe tinned fruit

Mangomangomangomangomangoooooooooooooo!

Favourite is pineapple,not a "walking fruit" whichever way you look at it.

I like to define fruit as being quite tasty.

And the trick to bananas in public is to use two hands and break it into pieces.

Edit: Tomatoes are godly. Slice them up and eat them plain or with a tiny dash of salt.

Edited by Nolan

I don't mind eating bananas in public, and I'll throw the skin at some grassy patch when I'm done. I really only eat bananas, mandarins, grapes, and on very rare occasions, apples. And if we're counting tomatoes, I love them in sandwiches, salads, as sauce, in rolls, they're amazing.

Today I also purchased a mandarin...

Is that a tangerine? Love those. While peeling it requires your attention' date=' eating it does not. Plus, the smell complements the taste nicely.

Me, I mostly eat grapes, apples and pears. Rocha pears, to be exact (or do you guys call them Rock Pears?). Crunchy.

Oranges and Pineapples are also cool, I guess.

Hate bananas. Hate them with a passion fruit, ha! (Note: I am quite neutral regarding passion fruits)

I generally love fruit. Apples are the golden standard and the most easy to eat. Bananas are good, but the peel can be annoying. Peaches are delicious and become tastier the riper they get, but also messier. Pears I love, but only when they're really ripe and thus soft and juicy. Grapes are great, and so are most berries. I also have a sweet spot for melons, and pineapples are godlike (though putting them on pizza is a satanic idea developed in the deepest pits of Hell). I find lemons and grapefruits too sour, though they add a nice spike to salads and drinks.

Mandarins and tangerines... No idea! Satsumas, oranges, clemantines... Not that I'm racist or anything but they all look the same to me!

... Looking it up, it seems that Oranges are the grandaddy, mandarines are the daddy, then tangerines are the.. er... kid?

AUS supermarkets are extremely seasonal, unlike in the UK where you get all food ALL YEAR ROUND... Here there's a higher dependency on food cultivated nearby, and as such white grapes are gone from the shelves, but more to the point there are like 5 different types of mandarin (including tangelos) available from time to time... If that makes sense? Citrus fruits are my weakness. I always keep a couple of 'emergency limes' for cooking dishes (and have some readily sixthed pieces in the freezer). We also have a lemon tree in teh garden that produces lemons the size of potatoes. My cousin made a lemon cake. I made lemon chicken (with sweet potato wedges and a dijonnaise [?] themed spinach salad).

I read somewhere that the banana plant is tecnically a herb... I may need to go check on that...

I don't eat a lot of fruit, maybe just an apple or banana a day even though I do like the taste of it.

Pineapple is probably my favourite but I hate it on pizza. HATE. IT.

I'm not a fan of tomatoes in their raw form either, something about its sliminess/texture? I don't enjoy.

What about olives? That divides people.

There used to be an olive stall in brighton's 'shopping centre' (australia has taught me that england's idea of a 'mall' is nothing more than an arcade, lol) that I thought smelt like the nappies my cousins used to lay.

Nowadays I think they're a secret culinary weapon of mass affection. Shred some olives up so the haters can't see them and they'lll LAP IT THE FUCK UP.

What about olives? That divides people.

Depends totally on how raw / ripe they are. The green / sour olives are disgusting, but the black ones are awesome...

My dad is always going on about how he treats fruit as his meals, and it must work because the doctor always declares him as fit as a teenager.

I like fruit but I don't like the pith, so I will often spend ages carving out the insides of grapefruits and oranges. I don't like seeds either, and will refuse to eat watermelon before all of the seeds have been pinched out. Apples are boring. I like plums now. I like fruit in general :D

Why are people so against pineapple on pizza?? It's just food :( Go to Korea, they put POTATO on pizza. And mayonnaise. Actually, I want to try that...

I like fruit but I don't like the pith, so I will often spend ages carving out the insides of grapefruits and oranges. I don't like seeds either, and will refuse to eat watermelon before all of the seeds have been pinched out.

You weirdo, just spit them out while you eat? : D

Why are people so against pineapple on pizza?? It's just food :( Go to Korea, they put POTATO on pizza. And mayonnaise. Actually, I want to try that...

Pineapple, tuna, shrimp, salami, olives...pretty much the perfect pizza.