NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

@MadDog if you don't sign a striker, you're a bit thin up top. Thoughts?

If we don't sign Dempsey, then it could be a problem. Assuming we don't sign Dempsey, we'd have Suárez and Borini as senior forwards. Pacheco can play as a striker, but I'm not sure he's good enough. Morgan is still very young, as is our new signing Yesil (both 18).

So yes, I think we need to make sure we get Dempsey. :p

Well that's disappointing. Apparently we refused to offer a couple of million more. The transfer funds must of dried up.

Yeah Kenny spent it all.....

It would appear so. Ah well, overall it was a good transfer window.

I think it will, yeah modric and Bentley are our two expansive signings, but we need to do it. Selling Dawson, Defoe, modric, and maybe even Bentley Jenas, dos santos and gomes and we'll have a lot of money - around 60 million from that lot. Taking into account we sold pav in jan for 10 and got Saha on loan and actualy haven't spent any money for a couple of years (and we got champions league money etc) I think money we have

Lloris - 12m

Mouthino - 25m

William - 15m

Leandro - 22m

Perfect :) Personally I'd add in dembele for 15m too!

Told ya they wouldn't all happen. Slightly underwhelming in comparison,

Lloris - 8/13m

Dempsey - 6m

Dembele - 15m

But not a bad few buys. Really gutted Moutinho didn't come off, as it seemed it was going to throughout the day. The team would have been looking so strong if it went through.

Dempsey's a complete steal at that price - Liverpool fans must be gutted - Fulham fans even more so. Dembele and Sigurdsson will have a tough job filling in for Modric and VDV but we're looking fairly strong.

Edit: 'Fulham claim Liverpool offered only £3m for the American, who became the second Rodgers' target this summer to sign instead for Tottenham Hotspur following Gylfi Sigurdsson.'

That is mad.

Edited by dan-likes-trees

To be fair mouthino should have happened. Its always easy to take the negative stance and then say I told you so as nothing ever really does go perfectly.

It was disappointing but Arsenal and more so Liverpool fans must be even more gutted. They don't have ANY strikers. Suarez isn't a striker, Borini looks like he needs A LOT of time to bed in. Arsenal needed a striker badly, Van Persie was a one man team for them last year and they still only finished a point above us so i can seem the struggling as Giroud looks pap and I've never rated Podolski.

We have a fanstic first 11 but I worry about our depth if we get injuries. We don't have any natural left back cover (Naughton can play there but is mainly a right back and Verthongen plays there for his country but I don't want to take him away from centre back). The only proper wing cover we have is Townsend who is completely unproven in the league so is a massive risk. We have Dempsey who can but again, this takes away positions in the centre. And also in attack, Defoe clearly doesn't fit the system, so we have Adebayor, I don't like Kane but at least he was an option; he's gone we literally have Adebayor and Defoe. Ade gets injured we're fucked.

To be fair mouthino should have happened. Its always easy to take the negative stance and then say I told you so as nothing ever really does go perfectly.

It was disappointing but Arsenal and more so Liverpool fans must be even more gutted. They don't have ANY strikers. Suarez isn't a striker, Borini looks like he needs A LOT of time to bed in. Arsenal needed a striker badly, Van Persie was a one man team for them last year and they still only finished a point above us so i can seem the struggling as Giroud looks pap and I've never rated Podolski.

We have a fanstic first 11 but I worry about our depth if we get injuries. We don't have any natural left back cover (Naughton can play there but is mainly a right back and Verthongen plays there for his country but I don't want to take him away from centre back). The only proper wing cover we have is Townsend who is completely unproven in the league so is a massive risk. We have Dempsey who can but again, this takes away positions in the centre. And also in attack, Defoe clearly doesn't fit the system, so we have Adebayor, I don't like Kane but at least he was an option; he's gone we literally have Adebayor and Defoe. Ade gets injured we're fucked.

LOL.

You've settled for Dempsey because you couldn't get anyone else. He's 29 with one decent season under his belt, he's not even regarded as a 'striker'.

Never mind that Podolski has nearly 50 international goals, you don't rate him, what a shit signing Wenger...

You judge Giroud on 90 odd minutes of football.

Never mind you've got Vertonghen, he's a good back up for Vermaelen in the Belgium side.

Surprised by some of the transfers that went through. I was unsure if the Lloris deal would happen, but that's a good deal. Dempsey is a steal at that price and Liverpool should be ashamed for offering so little for him. But, at the same time, I don't know what to make of Van Der Vaart leaving. Buying Dempsey seems like a sidestep or even a backstep when you factor in VDV leaving.

So surprised at Liverpool. Letting Carroll go on loan is understandable, but no viable replacement? Pretty poor, in my opinion. Slightly regretting putting them above Arsenal in my prediction for the end of season table.

I feel that United and Chelsea have done well in the window. We still should have brought in a defensive midfielder, which is the one thing we need. We still haven't really replaced Roy Keane. City have also brought in some good players. Not really sure if they needed Maicon...but it'll add competition for places. That's how you win titles.

Top 3 at the end of the season should be Man United, Man City, Chelsea. Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, possibly Newcastle, possibly Everton will all be interchangeable.

Also, the Moutinho bid was never going to happen. Neither were deals for some of those other pricey names. Like I said, I don't think they've ever spent above 17/18 million before, so it was almost a given that they didn't sign some of these players. If it did happen, then I think it would have given Spurs an edge over Arsenal and Liverpool. As a result, I don't really know where they'll end up. Injury free season and playing out of their skin, maybe 4th. Otherwise, 5th or 6th seems realistic.

Surprised by some of the transfers that went through. I was unsure if the Lloris deal would happen, but that's a good deal. Dempsey is a steal at that price and Liverpool should be ashamed for offering so little for him. But, at the same time, I don't know what to make of Van Der Vaart leaving. Buying Dempsey seems like a sidestep or even a backstep when you factor in VDV leaving.

So surprised at Liverpool. Letting Carroll go on loan is understandable, but no viable replacement? Pretty poor, in my opinion. Slightly regretting putting them above Arsenal in my prediction for the end of season table.

I feel that United and Chelsea have done well in the window. We still should have brought in a defensive midfielder, which is the one thing we need. We still haven't really replaced Roy Keane. City have also brought in some good players. Not really sure if they needed Maicon...but it'll add competition for places. That's how you win titles.

Top 3 at the end of the season should be Man United, Man City, Chelsea. Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, possibly Newcastle, possibly Everton will all be interchangeable.

Also, the Moutinho bid was never going to happen. Neither were deals for some of those other pricey names. Like I said, I don't think they've ever spent above 17/18 million before, so it was almost a given that they didn't sign some of these players. If it did happen, then I think it would have given Spurs an edge over Arsenal and Liverpool. As a result, I don't really know where they'll end up. Injury free season and playing out of their skin, maybe 4th. Otherwise, 5th or 6th seems realistic.

Actually I think it was really close - Spurs reportedly offered 22m but the deal was held up by personal terms and a few other bits. I'd imagine VDV wouldn't have gone if the club didn't think they had a good chance at an upgrade. 22m isn't such a jump from the 17m they paid for Modric, especially given inflation, and Moutinho's clearly a really solid buy. A shame.

That said I don't think VDV is a huge loss. He's been looking pretty off the pace for a while now, don't think he's a great fit for the AVB look. Always good for a few goals though.

Predicting...

City

United

Chelsea

Everton

Spurs

Arsenal

Newcastle

L'pool

You heard it here first!

Spurs have lost VDV, big loss and no real replacement. After all the prospects, Levy has done crap in this transfer window.

Saw the highlights of our game last night (was at a wedding so no chance to see it!) and we sounded awful!

Spurs losing Modric is massive. Dembele and Sigurdsson or any of your other midfielders are nowhere near him.

Defoe is shite, Adebayor isn't that good.

Your starting 11 isn't that good, @dazzybee

Actually I think it was really close - Spurs reportedly offered 22m but the deal was held up by personal terms and a few other bits. I'd imagine VDV wouldn't have gone if the club didn't think they had a good chance at an upgrade. 22m isn't such a jump from the 17m they paid for Modric, especially given inflation, and Moutinho's clearly a really solid buy. A shame.

That said I don't think VDV is a huge loss. He's been looking pretty off the pace for a while now, don't think he's a great fit for the AVB look. Always good for a few goals though.

If it's on personal terms, then the likelihood is that the wages were not high enough, which again just boils down to money. Spurs haven't really got it and it'll put off big names. Also, it'll stop them from putting together a squad that can go for the title. I think I also read that there's a 25% fee that would need to be paid to Sporting Lisbon, who agreed for that stipulation to be put into the contract when he moved to Porto. In which case, Spurs would probably have needed to pay more?

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with United's business. It was done nice and early, and the balance of the squad is good. One defensive minded midfielder would have been amazing, but that's something to work on.

That's it. I've been patient long enough, but Coyle has to go now. He's devoid of any tactical knowledge and his signings, apart from Holden and Petrov, have been shit.

He's dragging us into League 1 or mid table at best. With the players we have, we should walk this division but it's going to be a long slog. :(

If it's on personal terms, then the likelihood is that the wages were not high enough, which again just boils down to money. Spurs haven't really got it and it'll put off big names. Also, it'll stop them from putting together a squad that can go for the title. I think I also read that there's a 25% fee that would need to be paid to Sporting Lisbon, who agreed for that stipulation to be put into the contract when he moved to Porto. In which case, Spurs would probably have needed to pay more?

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with United's business. It was done nice and early, and the balance of the squad is good. One defensive minded midfielder would have been amazing, but that's something to work on.

Surprised you didn't go in for that M'Vila lad everyone was talking about last week.

Hmm I dunno, I think the fee was agreed so I guess Lisbon would have got £5m of it. But yeah I'm sure that was a factor

Re: wages, yeah you're right. Same reason it so long for the Adebayor deal to go through. I don't think Moutinho have been asking for that much - he was on 80k a week at Porto I think, which is I thhink is roughly what Modric and VDV were on when they were at spurs. Shouldn't have been too much of a problem, I'd imagine the haggling just meant time ran out. Obviously if Levy could have offered 150k a week straight away and 26m or something it would have been an quick deal but alas.

Spurs losing Modric is massive. Dembele and Sigurdsson or any of your other midfielders are nowhere near him.

Defoe is shite, Adebayor isn't that good.

Your starting 11 isn't that good, @dazzybee

What are you talking about, a midfield so quality they were overrun by Norwich at home?

Having said that, Dembele does actually look great. If he'd started the match the dire first half might have been different.

Surprised you didn't go in for that M'Vila lad everyone was talking about last week.

Hmm I dunno, I think the fee was agreed so I guess Lisbon would have got £5m of it. But yeah I'm sure that was a factor

Re: wages, yeah you're right. Same reason it so long for the Adebayor deal to go through. I don't think Moutinho have been asking for that much - he was on 80k a week at Porto I think, which is I thhink is roughly what Modric and VDV were on when they were at spurs. Shouldn't have been too much of a problem, I'd imagine the haggling just meant time ran out. Obviously if Levy could have offered 150k a week straight away and 26m or something it would have been an quick deal but alas.

I don't think we were ever in for M'Villa and I'm not sure he would be a good fit. Fergie seems to be holding out for a specific player, or even thinks Carrick can occupy that role, as he's been raving about him in midseason. Basically, we need a time machine to go back and sign either De Rossi or Yaya Toure.

Never mind you've got Vertonghen, he's a good back up for Vermaelen in the Belgium side.

zp_23_Vermaelen-2_4020.jpg?ic=92e24dT

Oh Vermaelen! Oh Vermaelen! Oh Vermaelen number 5!

Fuck your Rooney's, Fuck van Persie!

He will eat those cunts alive!!

I've not had a few drinks, promise..

Should be a good game tomorrow, Arsenal v Liverpool always promises a great contest, I expect us to end our goal drought if their game against City last weekend is anything to go by, looked woeful defensively.

Mannone is in goal for us tomorrow, so I'd bet on both team scoring.

Even if it wasn't Mannone in goal I'd bet on both teams scoring.

If Vermalean and Skrtel are playing I'd expect both sides to score

Yes, Vermaelen does score a lot of goals for a centre back.

Edited by Jon