NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

Steven Fletcher is Scottish. But, I agree to an extent. However, Wolves are well within their rights to ask for whatever they want, so more fool these clubs that pay the fees. A relegated club receiving 25million or so for two players is pretty awesome business on their part.

I do feel that these two players do somewhat justify their tags. Jarvis in particular. Even before Wolves went down, I was surprised nobody came in with a bid for him. Both are bargains when compared to the likes of Stewart Downing anyway.

He's Scottish in the sense he had no chance of getting in the England side, he was born in Shrewsbury.

As for comparing them to Downing, that's like comparing two terrible car crashes. There isn't a better one they're both awful.

He's Scottish in the sense he had no chance of getting in the England side, he was born in Shrewsbury.

As for comparing them to Downing, that's like comparing two terrible car crashes. There isn't a better one they're both awful.

English-born playing for Scotland, yeah. But, I think Wolves had a right to ask for more money for him. He was their best player and leading striker.

Downing was a perfect example of the English tax, because he has never really achieved or done anything spectacular. But, why would Wolves let Matt Jarvis go for pennies when they know that there is a demand out there for English players, especially wingers? 10 million is probably a fair price and even though Cazorla cost a few million more, I wonder how much the wages amount to for both players. It's like the Ade deal. 5 million, yes. Wages will be extortion, though.

Steven Fletcher is Scottish. But, I agree to an extent. However, Wolves are well within their rights to ask for whatever they want, so more fool these clubs that pay the fees. A relegated club receiving 25million or so for two players is pretty awesome business on their part.

I do feel that these two players do somewhat justify their tags. Jarvis in particular. Even before Wolves went down, I was surprised nobody came in with a bid for him. Both are bargains when compared to the likes of Stewart Downing anyway.

I laughed at this because you said that the transfer window should close before the season starts, which is also what AVB said, which I just do not agree with. The transfer window is important because it allows teams to play a few games and see which areas need strengthening. If the transfer window closed before the first game, you would still have Modric (a player who wants out), you would have no Ade, and nobody else would have come in.

Spurs have been terrible in this transfer window. Literally, terrible. You are spending far too long shipping out Modric, who has only left today. Why has that taken so long to go through? You haven't brought in a viable replacement. I heard all of this talk about Moutinho weeks ago and not one thing has been done to seriously try and bring him in.

The attacking line/strike force is definitely one of the poorest in the Top 8. You have badly needed a striker, and although Ade is a step in the right direction, why has it taken so long to bring him and somebody else in?

If Spurs are really serious about challenging for the Top 4, then they need to be bringing in more players to the club. Liverpool have strengthened, Chelsea have strengthened, as have Arsenal, City (I expect them to bring in another player) and United. All of these clubs should and probably will finish above Spurs. Wouldn't bet against Everton doing it if they stay injury-free for the majority of the season.

You will be extremely fortunate to sign one of those players you listed. Even then, it'll be Dembele, who you classed as an "extra". Lloris is a no go. Moutinho is a non-starter situation. Willian isn't allowed to leave and Leandro for 22million? His club won't let him go for that.

Oh come on. If the transfer window was before the window closed, it doesn't mean no one would get any deals done, it just means they'd all get done much sooner. Modric would already be gne, we'd have already our plays. It hasn't not happened because clubs really love dealing in the late August sunshine, it's because the they're waiting as late as possible in the window to get the best deals. If it was August the 1st the chaos would be the same up to midnight 31st July.

And as for knowing who teams want. I bet NOT ONE team needs a game of football to know what plays they want and need. They know. They have friendlies, they work with them every day in training.

Oh come on. If the transfer window was before the window closed, it doesn't mean no one would get any deals done, it just means they'd all get done much sooner. Modric would already be gne, we'd have already our plays. It hasn't not happened because clubs really love dealing in the late August sunshine, it's because the they're waiting as late as possible in the window to get the best deals. If it was August the 1st the chaos would be the same up to midnight 31st July.

And as for knowing who teams want. I bet NOT ONE team needs a game of football to know what plays they want and need. They know. They have friendlies, they work with them every day in training.

Friendlies don't really tell you all that much since they're not hugely competitive. Plus, it's just a way of building up match fitness. You don't really know how your team is going to play until the play competitive games, which all starts in the league.

Devil's advocate here, let's just say that you have a player who has just come back from a long-term injury like Lucas. I hear he went off injured very early on yesterday. Let's say his injury is a bad one and he misses the majority of the season. With this transfer window, you are still able to get a replacement.

Having the transfer window for the length it is now is the best solution. There are no benefits from having it closed before the season starts. All the smart clubs have already done their business anyway. It's only the ones who are slow who are still dealing. For example, your club. If AVB wants the transfer window closed early, maybe his club should lead by example and do their business the same time as everyone else has.

I think a draw for the Liverpool v City game was about right tbh... I thought the free-kick for Rodwell's handball was pretty harsh.

Why exactly isn't Carroll being played? At least he had a shot on target in the brief few minutes he had on the pitch; Suarez was firing wide all game. Can the two not play together and Liverpool just see Suarez as the better prospect?

Also...

How long before Wilshere makes it back?

I laughed at this because you said that the transfer window should close before the season starts, which is also what AVB said, which I just do not agree with. The transfer window is important because it allows teams to play a few games and see which areas need strengthening. If the transfer window closed before the first game, you would still have Modric (a player who wants out), you would have no Ade, and nobody else would have come in.

Spurs have been terrible in this transfer window. Literally, terrible. You are spending far too long shipping out Modric, who has only left today. Why has that taken so long to go through? You haven't brought in a viable replacement. I heard all of this talk about Moutinho weeks ago and not one thing has been done to seriously try and bring him in.

The attacking line/strike force is definitely one of the poorest in the Top 8. You have badly needed a striker, and although Ade is a step in the right direction, why has it taken so long to bring him and somebody else in?

If Spurs are really serious about challenging for the Top 4, then they need to be bringing in more players to the club. Liverpool have strengthened, Chelsea have strengthened, as have Arsenal, City (I expect them to bring in another player) and United. All of these clubs should and probably will finish above Spurs. Wouldn't bet against Everton doing it if they stay injury-free for the majority of the season.

You will be extremely fortunate to sign one of those players you listed. Even then, it'll be Dembele, who you classed as an "extra". Lloris is a no go. Moutinho is a non-starter situation. Willian isn't allowed to leave and Leandro for 22million? His club won't let him go for that.

Yeah I agree with Dazzybee here - had the transfer window ended a couple weeks ago Modric would be gone and we'd have bought some players in. It's just the clubs not wanting to budge on the price until the last minute - same with Cesc last year at Arsenal. It's just prolonging the end-of-window rush.

Surely managers should know their squad well enough to be able to tell which areas of their squad they need to strengthen anyway - pre-season should give some indication, for one thing. It's a pretty common complain from managers in the PL.

Also worth pointing out that we haven't been totally awful in the market and we have strengthened - got Vertonghen and Sigurdsson in early on, both pretty good buys (and pretty cheap).

But I agree with the rest of what you say, sadly. Leaving the Modric deal so late has only gained us an extra £4m (30m from the sale rather than 26m). As you say Lloris seems a no-go, Moutinho too expensive. If we could get Willian Dembele and Damiao it would still be a great transfer window for us, but I think we'll only get the first two.

Also, what does this mean?

Tottenham also announced they are entering a partnership with Real Madrid.

The agreement will see the two clubs working together in respect of players, coaching and commercial relationships.

Guess we know where Bale will be off to in a few years...

Also Flinky, what do you think about the rumors that Nani and Anderson are on their way out of Manchester? The papers say Spurs want them! It's almost definitely bullshit...

I wouldn't expect to see him back in the first team until late October. He's only just started running again, however it's been reported Arsene is reluctant to rush him back.

But I agree with the rest of what you say, sadly. Leaving the Modric deal so late has only gained us an extra £4m (30m from the sale rather than 26m).

However you've left yourselves five days to find a replacement and convince them to join the club. Not including the fact the selling club's will know you've got extra cash to spend.

Edited by Ramar

I think a draw for the Liverpool v City game was about right tbh... I thought the free-kick for Rodwell's handball was pretty harsh.

Why exactly isn't Carroll being played? At least he had a shot on target in the brief few minutes he had on the pitch; Suarez was firing wide all game. Can the two not play together and Liverpool just see Suarez as the better prospect?

Also...

Brendan Rodgers plays a 4-3-3, Carroll doesn't really fit in. Suárez is a much better player, who will start every game near enough.

I don't think people give Carroll enough credit when it comes to his ability on the ground, he's better than people make him out to be. He's not brilliant at the type of football we are playing, but he's certainly competent and he's still young and will improve. I hope he stays, gives us an option.

However you've left yourselves five days to find a replacement and convince them to join the club. Not including the fact the selling club's will know you've got extra cash to spend.

Yeah no I agree - I said 'only' an extra 4m - I don't think it was good business leaving it so late. Perhaps if we'd sold for 35m it might have been worth the delay but not for so little extra.

Friendlies don't really tell you all that much since they're not hugely competitive. Plus, it's just a way of building up match fitness. You don't really know how your team is going to play until the play competitive games, which all starts in the league.

Devil's advocate here, let's just say that you have a player who has just come back from a long-term injury like Lucas. I hear he went off injured very early on yesterday. Let's say his injury is a bad one and he misses the majority of the season. With this transfer window, you are still able to get a replacement.

Having the transfer window for the length it is now is the best solution. There are no benefits from having it closed before the season starts. All the smart clubs have already done their business anyway. It's only the ones who are slow who are still dealing. For example, your club. If AVB wants the transfer window closed early, maybe his club should lead by example and do their business the same time as everyone else has.

(too slow with my last post so replying to this one instead)

The injury argument doesn't really work though, because like, surely a two week gap is fairly arbitrary - if a player gets injured next week a manager wouldn't be able to get in a replacement. Theres no real reason why backup should be allowed to be bought in within the first two weeks but not after that.

Also TBF I would imagine AVB would have wanted all his deals done by now, but it's probably more that the other clubs are holding out for huge prices which Spurs are unable to meet, then lowering asking prices on deadline day, which is why it's always such a frantic few hours.

I'd also add that it favours the clubs with more money - Chelsea, for example, this summer haven't had to hold out for last minute bargin prices because they can match the asking price of players more readily. With a club like Spurs with less to spend, holding out for cheaper prices is probably more important.

You think it's AVB not doing the business? I'd personals,ly say it was our chairman... If it was up to AVB (and ANY manager) then everything would be done before the season.

As for you point about Lucas being injured, again, another bizarre points a player can get injured at any point. Preseason, or even sept 1st when it'll be too late.

And every single club buys late in the window as that's when all the best deals are made. Most deals of the summer will happen this final week. It's not about clubs being clever, or getting it done early, it's just the nature of it. I bet in the next 3 years it will change and it'll all happen August 1st.

Yeah I agree with Dazzybee here - had the transfer window ended a couple weeks ago Modric would be gone and we'd have bought some players in. It's just the clubs not wanting to budge on the price until the last minute - same with Cesc last year at Arsenal. It's just prolonging the end-of-window rush.

Surely managers should know their squad well enough to be able to tell which areas of their squad they need to strengthen anyway - pre-season should give some indication, for one thing. It's a pretty common complain from managers in the PL.

Really, you believe that Modric would have been sold AND you'd have replacements? Other teams have sold players and have brought in replacements. Arsenal have sold Van Persie and brought in Giroud, Cazorla and Podolski.

This is more to do with Tottenham's reluctance to spend money.

Past transfers

As far as I can see, you've never spent more than 20 million on a player. In fact, you haven't spent 20. The highest I could find was 15 for Defoe and for Bentley. In one sense, financially, that's great for the club. In the other sense, it automatically rules you out of the running for some of these top players you are reported to be after.

Jan Vertonghen is the most expensive player you've bought in about 4 years.

Also worth pointing out that we haven't been totally awful in the market and we have strengthened - got Vertonghen and Sigurdsson in early on, both pretty good buys (and pretty cheap).

But I agree with the rest of what you say, sadly. Leaving the Modric deal so late has only gained us an extra £4m (30m from the sale rather than 26m). As you say Lloris seems a no-go, Moutinho too expensive. If we could get Willian Dembele and Damiao it would still be a great transfer window for us, but I think we'll only get the first two.

Also, what does this mean?

Guess we know where Bale will be off to in a few years...

Those two are good buys, but the truth is that there are so many gaps that need filling in Spurs' team, including making the bench competitive. Last season, Spurs were flying and then stuttered because of poor squad rotation and not having a good enough bench. There's no progress on bringing another striker in and really this should also be Friedal's last season as your number one keeper.

I'm sure that deal means that Real will get first refusal on Spurs' players when they choose to sell. Presumably that means vice versa, so Spurs will also get first refusal.

Here's an interesting one, did Spurs even bother going in for the Sahin deal? The clubs were already doing business over Modric, so why didn't they ask for Sahin?

The way I see it, they're going in for these big names, but realistically they don't have a chance of getting them.

Also Flinky, what do you think about the rumors that Nani and Anderson are on their way out of Manchester? The papers say Spurs want them! It's almost definitely bullshit...

I'll be surprised if Nani does go. Anderson, I'm not sure about. He's spent a lot of time injured and has barely managed to get a stretch of games together. I feel he can do well but injuries seem to be his issues. If he can get a whole season behind him, I'm convinced he can be a success.

Nani has improved quite a bit but does have the occasional terrible game. When he's on form, he's probably one of the best in the league in his position. But, his crossing needs improving still, which must be annoying for Fergie and the coaches.

I don't think we'll sell either. I hope we don't. We'll be lighter squad wise if we do, which I don't think is a good thing. It's more likely that the papers have deducted that since Kagawa and Young have come in, players from their position will most likely be shipped out. If anything, these rumours should help the players play better. When Nani was rumoured to be leaving around the same time Valencia was hitting form for United, he decided to up his game and has looked great since.

Edit: I misread something. You paid around 17 million for Modric and roughly the same for Bent.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

He's lived in Scotland since the age of 10 and has Scottish grandparents... He doesn't play for Scotland though because Craig Levein is a stubborn bastard.

He's probably our best forward at the moment as well!

You think it's AVB not doing the business? I'd personals,ly say it was our chairman... If it was up to AVB (and ANY manager) then everything would be done before the season.

That probably is the case, and it's a shame. It's very short-sighted because you can't sell players of the likes of Modric and expect to walk into the top four again. It's just not going to happen unless you sign suitable replacements or have players that will step up to that role.

As for you point about Lucas being injured, again, another bizarre points a player can get injured at any point. Preseason, or even sept 1st when it'll be too late.

Players can get injured at any time, yes. But, I mentioned Lucas because it is a very interesting case, as he has just returned from a long-term injury and is injured within the window. Also, Joe Cole. Players can be injured anytime, of course. But, because the window is still open right now, there's a chance for them to buy replacements. They can't do that if it closes earlier. They'd have to wait until January. If a player does get injured the day after the window closes, then it's hard luck. But, in Lucas' case, it was a serious long-term injury, so it gives the manager some time to play him before assessing if somebody else needs to come in.

And every single club buys late in the window as that's when all the best deals are made. Most deals of the summer will happen this final week. It's not about clubs being clever, or getting it done early, it's just the nature of it. I bet in the next 3 years it will change and it'll all happen August 1st.

Like I've said, United have done all of their business (unless we get somebody else, which I doubt will happen). Arsenal have done the majority of their business but still have time to bring in another player. All of the best deals do not always get made late into the window because many of the amazing deals have already taken place. Kagawa was a steal, as was Cazorla. Allen has gone to Liverpool, as has the loan deal for Sahin. Everton have managed to keep hold of some of their prized players, which is a big boost for them, as well as Newcastle who have managed to do the same.

The smart teams will do their business early and allow the team time to gel. It makes more sense that way. Plus, why would you not do most of your business beforehand and try to gain the maximum amount of points available to you? Two games will have taken place before the deadline. It doesn't really make sense to wait until the end and deny yourself the best opportunity to get these points. As for big deals, many big deals have already taken place. What about United's massive bid for Lucas Moura, who ended up going to PSG? Or the deal for Van Persie?

All this talk of Spurs bringing in big money replacements is a smoke-screen. As I pointed out, you've never spent (as far as I can tell) more than 17 million on a player. I don't really see any indication that you'll suddenly spend 25 million on a striker or a midfielder. Especially as their wages will cost a fortune, too. It's far more likely it'll be a "smaller" name. Wouldn't be surprised at all if you buy back Berbatov.

Stuff

Firstly, yeah completely, of course we would. The Modric sale was just being held out for as long as possible - that being a week before the window closed. If it had closed at the beginning of the season he'd have been sold a week before the beginning of the season, maybe for one or two million less. And then we'd have had the same frantic buying rush that we're about to have - only it would have finished by now.

Re: second point - Yeah I agree with you - that's what I was saying to Dazzy a couple pages back - I don't think we'll spend big enough to buy most of those players we've been linked with. Moutinho and Damiao look very unlikely. This said though, the club hasn't spent much for a few seasons and given we're entering a new cycle at the club with AVB (hopefully will last more than a couple of months) it's reasonable to think Levy might give him some money to play with - though no buys over 20m, I would imagine.

I don't think missing out on Sahin is too much of a blow considering it's only a one-season loan deal. Bit stopgap. Arsenal didn't want him because Real weren't giving the option of a transfer at the end of the year, I believe.

I don't think we're particularly light on the bench - the problem last year was more lack of squad rotation from Harry than talent on the bench. We could do with a striker and an attacking mid / winger.

And we can probably have Brad until Janurary, as there appear to be no ideal keepers available at the moment. He made some cracking saves at the weekend, despite being about 104 years old.

And yeah you're probably right re: Nani and Anderson. Always fun trying to work out what's been made up. Heard a good one the other week about Spurs wanting Chamakh from arsenal, pretty glad that's rubbish (touch wood).

Considering the farce that is the goalkeeping position in the England National side (other than Joe Hart) It's a joke that Fraser Forster hasn't been picked yet. You can pan the Scottish game all you want but he still plays in the same regulation sized goals as anyone and still keeps the same regulation size ball out of the net. He's been really well in the Champions League qualifiers for us and will likely get a chance to showcase himself in the group stages.

I'm not for a second he should be picked ahead of hart but to see guys like Green (who makes mistake after mistake), Butland (Lost for words there) and Ruddy (decent, but very inexperienced on the big stage. Forster has played in atmosphere's that very few English keeps have ever played in and he's definitely good enough to be in that squad.

Considering the farce that is the goalkeeping position in the England National side (other than Joe Hart) It's a joke that Fraser Forster hasn't been picked yet. You can pan the Scottish game all you want but he still plays in the same regulation sized goals as anyone and still keeps the same regulation size ball out of the net. He's been really well in the Champions League qualifiers for us and will likely get a chance to showcase himself in the group stages.

I'm not for a second he should be picked ahead of hart but to see guys like Green (who makes mistake after mistake), Butland (Lost for words there) and Ruddy (decent, but very inexperienced on the big stage. Forster has played in atmosphere's that very few English keeps have ever played in and he's definitely good enough to be in that squad.

He was quality on loan at Norwich, however they were in League 1 at the time.

That probably is the case, and it's a shame. It's very short-sighted because you can't sell players of the likes of Modric and expect to walk into the top four again. It's just not going to happen unless you sign suitable replacements or have players that will step up to that role.

Players can get injured at any time, yes. But, I mentioned Lucas because it is a very interesting case, as he has just returned from a long-term injury and is injured within the window. Also, Joe Cole. Players can be injured anytime, of course. But, because the window is still open right now, there's a chance for them to buy replacements. They can't do that if it closes earlier. They'd have to wait until January. If a player does get injured the day after the window closes, then it's hard luck. But, in Lucas' case, it was a serious long-term injury, so it gives the manager some time to play him before assessing if somebody else needs to come in.

Like I've said, United have done all of their business (unless we get somebody else, which I doubt will happen). Arsenal have done the majority of their business but still have time to bring in another player. All of the best deals do not always get made late into the window because many of the amazing deals have already taken place. Kagawa was a steal, as was Cazorla. Allen has gone to Liverpool, as has the loan deal for Sahin. Everton have managed to keep hold of some of their prized players, which is a big boost for them, as well as Newcastle who have managed to do the same.

The smart teams will do their business early and allow the team time to gel. It makes more sense that way. Plus, why would you not do most of your business beforehand and try to gain the maximum amount of points available to you? Two games will have taken place before the deadline. It doesn't really make sense to wait until the end and deny yourself the best opportunity to get these points. As for big deals, many big deals have already taken place. What about United's massive bid for Lucas Moura, who ended up going to PSG? Or the deal for Van Persie?

All this talk of Spurs bringing in big money replacements is a smoke-screen. As I pointed out, you've never spent (as far as I can tell) more than 17 million on a player. I don't really see any indication that you'll suddenly spend 25 million on a striker or a midfielder. Especially as their wages will cost a fortune, too. It's far more likely it'll be a "smaller" name. Wouldn't be surprised at all if you buy back Berbatov.

Well have to agree to disagree. I would bet most, if not all, managers would say to end the transfer window before the league starts.

Historically most of the business is done in the final week of the transfer window.

As for replacements, we'll see shall we. It looks Lexie lloris is done at 15m, Williams done probably over that. NE we obviously will replace modric sufficiently, if not mouthino then dembele.mim not worried at all, though I would love another striker and Leandro looks dead.

You emotion all those deals. But let's see how many deals get done from now. Real Madrid just signed a player for £33m... How come they didn't get their deals done early? Chelsea and psg don't count as the spunk stupid amounts of money and don't care about saving a million or 2, other clubs have to care about every million and that's why they wait.

And you say about Lucas being injured, but liverpool won't now go out and buy. Another midfielder.

I agree about getting it done early, I don't think clubs do, but it makes massive difference, if we got adebayor in straight away I think we'd have 4 points now. We only finished a point behind arsenal so that would have meant champions league football (levy also fucked up last year and we Los the first 2 games)... But this is exactly WHY I want it closed early.

The first time I look at The Sun in almost 5 years and this is what I read:

SunSport revealed United are ready to cash in on the 26-year-old unless he bucks up.

They would want £50million. But Barcelona and Real Madrid will not bid, while big-spending Paris St Germain, who were considering a move for the England star earlier this summer, are no longer keen.

Rooney was axed for United’s first home game of the season against Fulham on Saturday.

Boss Alex Ferguson’s patience with him had finally snapped after a turbulent two years.

Rooney’s performance at Everton convinced his manager his form and fitness were gone.

The relationship between the pair is now tense and they have barely spoken since the forward returned for pre-season.

City were close to signing Rooney when he revealed he wanted to quit United in October 2010.

The player eventually changed his mind and decided to stay at Old Trafford but the wounds from that episode have never healed.

The champions remain interested in signing the ex-Everton ace but are now convinced United will never sell to them.

Any movement will not come until January, with Rooney sidelined for up to two months after suffering a badly gashed thigh in an accidental collision with Fulham’s Hugo Rodallega.

Is his relationship with Sir Alex really that bad? I thought they put that whole “Man city" ransfer behind them.

The first time I look at The Sun in almost 5 years and this is what I read:

Give it another 5 years and they'll be talking about the same story. I really can't see him leaving.

Well... I missed some football due to holiday.

The one game I managed to watch was Everton v United, and I'd of rather missed that game to be honest.

I know it's early days, but Chelsea are looking a bit of alright at the moment. Have to admit I was slightly cheering Liverpool on when they played Man City, I felt horrible for wanting them to win.

Bristol City beat Cardiff 4-2... AAAHHHH what a day! :)

Walcott thinks he's worth more than 75k a week. What planet is he on. He's guff.