N-Europe

Tennis Thread

Retro_Link

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mac was talking to Tim in commentary one match about adding a roof to Court 1, and Tim (who's on the commity) was saying that has to be the next step.

But yeah, fitting a roof to that court is surely gonna require the court having a new squarer top to it.

Even if some incredible circular fanning roof could be devised, it would probably need a central support or something so.

Also Wimbledon do seem to cope pretty well with the schedule and only having one roof, this year's going pretty well and it's been a bad one. I think a second one on court 1 would be great. But then everyone also recognises that it's supposed to be an outdoor tournament so you can't go too roof crazy. Even today during the Federer match, they still try to just put the covers on the court for rain when they can and are mindful of not just immediately resorting to the roof.

The organisers schedule the show courts by who will be the biggest draw, hence why Murray plays almost every match on Centre. That said, in the interest of fairness, Murray will always play at least one match on Number 1 court as will Federer and Nadal etc. This is all mute if the favourite players get knocked out like Nadal this year but previous years they've all had a go on number 1 at some point during the 2 weeks.

As for Djokovic vs Murray and the many times i've watched them play, Murray is certainly the fitter of the two. I don't know how many times i've seen Djokovic start to struggle against him in the later stages of matches. Whether Murray won the match or not, Novak always tended to struggle more than Murray. Perhaps people still remember Murray as the gangly teenager who was sick at the side of a court. Nowadays there really isn't a fitter player on tour.

Oh yeah for sure Murray has vastly improved his fitness.

But also if you look at the finals Djokovic has been involved in such as against Nadal at Wimbledon and in the US last year, Novaks gonna be right there until the end; those were two of the longest most physically demanding finals ever. Although admittedly I think he tired before Nadal at the US, but then seemed to get a second wind (can't remember Wimbledon).

Murray has experience of these kind of matches, but less so of them coming as finals, at the end of the full two weeks when the players have to dig the deepest. Alot could depend on how comfortably Djokovic could come through against Federer [theoretically speaking], and Murray against Ferrer[?].

One of the problems with Wimbledon with rain delays is that players in the top half can get a lot more rest depending on which court they play on. Djokovic and Federer could be comfortably through tonight, yet Murray and Del Potro/Ferrer will have to play consecutive days. Murray does have the advantage that his opponent in the QF will be on later than him and Ferrer vs Del Potro has the possibility of being a long one. That said I'd imagine Murray will be on Centre Court from now on (providing he beats Cilic of course).

EDIT

And here lies the problem with Wimbledon. 3 hours of play still available on Centre yet they've abandoned play for the night so the players in the bottom half of the mens draw (Murray, Tsonga, Del Potro, etc) are at an immediate disadvantage having to play tomorrow and possible two days in a row. Obviously these guys are athletes but they all say what an advantage it is to have as much rest as possible.

Edited by Jon
Automerged Doublepost

Murray will be, provided he wins, playing 3 days in a row now whilst Federer and Djokovic are nicely rested.

Doesn't seem very fair but unfortunately that's the way it is. We can just hope he makes light work of it tomorrow and then Del Potro/Ferrer goes on for long enough that they tire themselves out for the QF, which will be late on Wednesday I imagine.

I still think they should've moved Murray and Cilic to Centre, as they would definitely have been able to finish it this evening.

I still think they should've moved Murray and Cilic to Centre, as they would definitely have been able to finish it this evening.
Yeah definately, not sure why they didn't try and get as many matches finished/as far along as possible.

After her match with Sharapova, Lisicki is straight back onto court tommorow aswell though, so it's happening all over.

well you can understand them not wanting to give anyone in the bottom half an advantage over the others, since none of them were finished their matches

they should however have put Gasquet and Mayer on Centre after Djokovic finished so that they weren't disadvantaged playing against him in the quarters

oh and with regards to the Woman's draw, they always play the Monday/Tuesday in the second week so that they can have the days go Women/Men/Women/Men/Women/Men for the singles (weather dependent of course!)

Can't watch the Lisicki game; she's not turned up today. 17 vs 3 unforced errors so far... such a shame after the amazing performance against Sharapova.

---

EDIT:

OK that was a great second set and an amazing Tie Break from Lisicki! :)

Come on!!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah definately.

It's strange how her serve is completely hit and miss. Against Maria it was almost faultless, but in the match before it wasn't there, and it only turned up today half way through the match. When she's on it she can hit some incredible cross court shots and shots that find the lines, like she did in the second set and tie break, but they're not reliable enough and other times they'll go out (like Sharapova actually).

Real shame to see her go out, but at least she made a fight of the match in the end and looked like she could win it at one stage.

It'll be interesting to see whether Novak get's scheduled on No 1 tomorrow. He's the only top player who hasn't been off Centre yet and in the interest of fairness, he should be.

Just had a look at tomorrow's schedule and yep, Djokovic is on Court 1.

Should be some interesting matches for the men's quarters tomorrow. I'm hoping that the Federer v. Youzhny match is a close one, what with Federer having had some back issues in his last match, but I suspect it'll be a pretty straight forward one for him. Likewise the Djokovic v. Mayer match, probably go to 4 with Novak winning in the end.

It's the Ferrer v. Murray and Tsonga v. Kohlschreiber matches which should be the most entertaining. Think both of those may end up going all the way to 5. Think they should have perhaps staggered those in the scheduling but never mind.

As for the women's matches today, not much to say really as the matches haven't been that great. Williams is looking in good form and looks as though she'll be in the final come Saturday. Such a shame for Lisicki but she's been making far too many unforced errors in these championships. Glad she fought back to push for the win in the end but really struggled with her serve in all but the Sharapova match.

Have enjoyed watching the competition so far this year, although the weather has been tremendously shit.

The Murray Match against Baghdatis was interesting to watch. Thought Baghdatis played well, particularly with coming closer to the net, something which Murray seemed reluctant to do during the match. He looked great against Cilic today, much better.

I've been busy in work for the last few days, moving all of my shit into a new classroom. So, whilst I'm tidying up, I've been watching the matches on the BBC website, watching it onto the projected screen. Its great. :D

Quite nervous about the Ferrer match this afternoon. Ferrer is on the form of his life and has a good record against Murray, although they haven't played on grass before.

Murray should be winning this but you never know what can happen. I'm going to say Murray in 4.

Quite nervous about the Ferrer match this afternoon. Ferrer is on the form of his life and has a good record against Murray, although they haven't played on grass before.

Murray should be winning this but you never know what can happen. I'm going to say Murray in 4.

It's turned out to be a very good match. There's very little between the two, although Murray seems to be edging it. Hopefully the fourth set will be the final one.

Some of his tennis during the tiebreak for the second set was brilliant. Both players have been excellent, top class. I'm seeing a few facebook updates from people saying that tennis is boring, that Andy isn't very good, etc. How can anyone not enjoy this?

People love to say Murray is terrible when in actual fact he's the 4th best player in the World during the greatest era of tennis, ever.

He is a fantastic player.

I admit, every time in this game where I think "shit, he's lost it," he ends up pulling something out of the bag with his next shot.

I'm not sure about his movement in comparison to some of the other top players. Ferrer, for example, just moves really well, always in the right position for the next shot.

I admit, every time in this game where I think "shit, he's lost it," he ends up pulling something out of the bag with his next shot.

I'm not sure about his movement in comparison to some of the other top players. Ferrer, for example, just moves really well, always in the right position for the next shot.

The thing about Ferrer is that he's probably second best mover in the world after Rafa. He's so quick about the court.

Murray is a brilliant shot maker and even though his movement perhaps isn't as good (it is still very, very good) he will be able to play a brilliant shot from anywhere on the court. He's a very complete player. He definitely has the ability to win a Grand Slam and I really believe he will at some point do it, quite possibly on Sunday.

He should be beating Tsonga on Friday and I'm more confident about that match than I was today. Hopefully Federer-Djokovic will go to 5 sets and Murray will get through in 3. Although, having said that, fitness won't play too much of a part in the final as they'll be pumped on adrenaline.

If Murray does get to the final and plays his very best tennis he will win. If the man on the opposite of the net plays his best tennis he will win. Whatever happens, it'll come down to a few points like it did today.

The thing about Ferrer is that he's probably second best mover in the world after Rafa. He's so quick about the court.

Murray is a brilliant shot maker and even though his movement perhaps isn't as good (it is still very, very good) he will be able to play a brilliant shot from anywhere on the court. He's a very complete player. He definitely has the ability to win a Grand Slam and I really believe he will at some point do it, quite possibly on Sunday.

He should be beating Tsonga on Friday and I'm more confident about that match than I was today. Hopefully Federer-Djokovic will go to 5 sets and Murray will get through in 3. Although, having said that, fitness won't play too much of a part in the final as they'll be pumped on adrenaline.

If Murray does get to the final and plays his very best tennis he will win. If the man on the opposite of the net plays his best tennis he will win. Whatever happens, it'll come down to a few points like it did today.

Yeah, Ferrer's movement is just class. Really enjoyed watching his match yesterday, and couldn't believe his game against Del Potro where he totally annihilated him.

Think Andy has done very well against some difficult opponents this year. He could easily have crumbled after losing the first set, but mentally he looks much better than he has done. Some of the shots he made yesterday were sickening. Four semi-finals at Wimbledon in a row shows that he has set the bar high. He's probably got his best opportunity at reaching the final this time around, though. Tsonga is good, but you'd expect Murray to beat him.

Exciting times. Don't think my heart could take a Murray-Djokovic final, though. :o

Yeah, Ferrer's movement is just class. Really enjoyed watching his match yesterday, and couldn't believe his game against Del Potro where he totally annihilated him.

Think Andy has done very well against some difficult opponents this year. He could easily have crumbled after losing the first set, but mentally he looks much better than he has done. Some of the shots he made yesterday were sickening. Four semi-finals at Wimbledon in a row shows that he has set the bar high. He's probably got his best opportunity at reaching the final this time around, though. Tsonga is good, but you'd expect Murray to beat him.

Exciting times. Don't think my heart could take a Murray-Djokovic final, though. :o

If Murray does win a Grand Slam, and especially Wimbledon, I think I'll start crying with joy. It's a moment I've been waiting for since I first started following tennis in the 90s!

I just want to see Murray play some good tennis if he's reaches the final. It's not the fact he's lost 3 times but the way he's lost, never given a good account of himself. I believe he's a lot more tougher mentally now and I really hope we get to see that come Sunday.

I just want to see Murray play some good tennis if he's reaches the final. It's not the fact he's lost 3 times but the way he's lost, never given a good account of himself. I believe he's a lot more tougher mentally now and I really hope we get to see that come Sunday.

I'm doing the same as the players always say they do. Take it one step at a time. I don't want to get ahead of myself and get excited about a Brit being in the Wimbledon final!