NEurope
Cheapshot

The best console this generation.

What do you think has been the best console this gen?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think has been the best console this gen?

• Playstation 2
    • GameCube
    • Xbox

I've voted for the gamecube, mainly because of the numerous meetups i had with friends and playing games like super smash bros.melee or f zero gx together. It's also because of single player games like Eternal Darkness and Killer 7 (both of which i rate so highly). Out of all the cube games i've got, i haven't felt disappointed with any of them so far. There's still more i need to get as well. :)

Gamecube gets my vote even though I thought long about giving my vote to the Playstation 2.

The Gamecube has great games (in my opinion more than the XBOX or PS2) and well the lack of online gaming is not that problematic because I normally only play Day of Defeat online (PC Only).

So Design, Power and Games are all won by the Cube in my ranking. Just to make sure nobody gets me wrong I know that the Cube is inferior to pure power compared with the XBOX but I think Nintendo did a better job in packing very powerfull components into a small case. Hardware design is much better whereas the XBOX is a "Shuttle PC".

WELL DUH

why shouldnt people vote for Gamecube

because this is a Gamecube/ Revolution/ Nintendo forum

:D

I don't think anyone can judge what the best console is (including myself), especially when most people here don't even own all 3 systems.

Everyone's got their own opinions, and I think many of them are biased due to the fact that this a mainly a nintendo forum.

And don't give me all that bullshit, that even though this is a nintendo forum, many don't have a GC. Of course they do. Why else would they go on this site?? That's like me going on a xbox forum when I don't even own the actual console.

And don't give me all that bullshit, that even though this is a nintendo forum, many don't have a GC. Of course they do. Why else would they go on this site?? That's like me going on a xbox forum when I don't even own the actual console.

I can name you at least 2 staff members who do not have a GC, or dislike Nintendo. Svt4him sold his Gamecube aaaages ago, and Offerman doesn't even have one as far as i know. :hmm:

I can name you at least 2 staff members who do not have a GC, or dislike Nintendo. Svt4him sold his Gamecube aaaages ago, and Offerman doesn't even have one as far as i know. :hmm:

Karma given... :bow:

*hand up* i don't have one either, please don't ban me!

lol. :lmao:

I'm not going to ban people just because they don't own the console. :heh: It's a discussion board. There's no rule saying you have to own the console to join up. Infact, this is the Nintendo Revolution forum, so if there was a rule saying "you have to own the console to join up" then we'd all be banned because the console hasn't been released yet. :lmao:

:happy: good to know. actually, while i have your attention, all-powerful being, if i give someone karma does it have to be authorised by you before it goes through? it's just when i sent a piece of karma to johelian for being helpful it took a day to appear. oh shit, i'm going off-topic now too, please don't hurt me!*cowers in fear*

:happy: good to know. actually, while i have your attention, all-powerful being, if i give someone karma does it have to be authorised by you before it goes through? it's just when i sent a piece of karma to johelian for being helpful it took a day to appear. oh shit, i'm going off-topic now too, please don't hurt me!*cowers in fear*

To get that question answered, it would be best to consult the "questions" thread in the rules board. Everything you need to know is in there.

Back on topic now. :wink:

• Like 1

I voted GameCube, but I don't own a PlayStation 2 so I probably shouldn't have.

I dont have a gamecube anymore I sold it 2 years ago. :)

im inventing a new word in light of this topic....

FANBOYTASTIC!

i voted for XBOX as i enjoyed there games most. Cube has had its share of good games but the 3rd support wasnt there again and no online service

Xbox, by far.

I started this generation as an avid nintendo fan who wouldn't touch another console with a barge pole. To this extent Microsoft have achieved alot by turning me into one of their hardcore fans.

The xbox did this for a number of reasons.

1) The Best Hardware, by and large xbox has the best looking games. It tend's to get the best versions of multi format releases and its exclusives to tend to beat the other consoles in terms of looks and features. I'm thinking of the hard disk in particular here. Which has brought alot.

The controller s is also my personal favoruite out of the consoles, though the xbox itself is probably the worst looking out of the bunch.

2) The Games, out of all the consoles xbox has provided me with the most play. Genre's i love are extremely well catered for on xbox, such as FPS and racing games. FPS was at one time the preserve of the n64, the gamecube has had a terrible selection of these and Halo 1, Halo 2, and the numerous stategic shooters from ubisoft have been the main pulling factor for me. Also racing is well catered for, pgr2, forza, burnout 3, etc.

3)Online, the biggest reason by far. Gamecube essentially does not offer this. This feature alone has meant i played the xbox about 10 times more than i would without. It has also provided alot of new experiances which i thought were lacking on gamecube (from the multiplayer perspective).

Basically, Multiplayer wise i think the xbox has destroyed the competition. Single player wise things are more even but xbox (depending on your taste) is still similar to the gamecube.

Gamecube's strong points for me would be some really great single player games like zelda, mario and metroid. Also pikmin.

I have to say the Cube. Nintendo are top for me simply because I actually find their games fun and i really WANT to buy and play them.

The other two have some good games too, and I don't dislike them (too much - I dislike all the consoles in some way), but the games just don't reach out and grab me like a lot of the "Only For Nintendo Gamecube" ones. Most of my games are "Only for"s!!

I do believe Nintendo do need to make sure there are pleanty of FPSs on the Rev, since they are a genre I enjoy but the Cube doesn't get enough (making it seem kiddy 2 the narrow minded). I also think it'd be cool because the new movement system is awsome for it!!

I'd say dreamcast was this generation...

Nes - Master System

Snes - Mega Drive

N64 - Sega Staurn

Gamecube- Dreamcast

Also the fact that when the Playstation was released it was considered same generation as Dreamcast (was it not) and you can't change the rules half way through the game!

Anyway I vote for Gamecube, but then I don't have a PS2 (although I occasionly played my brothers but didn't enjoy it) or an Xbox, I do though half a Dreamcast (as you've probably guessed and so that comes in second!

I didn't vote for any of them. I was disapointed with all of the consoles this generation. The N64 v Playstation era was one of the greatest things gaming has ever seen. The 3D generation was young, yet games carried brilliance. The peak of video games was reached with O.o.T.

Maybe it's just we were just expecting so much after something so great. The majority of games are to obsessed with graphics, violence, sex, cut scenes and plot at the expense gameplay. Why was gameplay bad? Because it was exactly the same, just prettier. Maybe worse. Games were carbon copy's of games that came out five minutes prior. Sure we had some good games, but not enough.

The best console this generation?

GBA/DS - the GBA saved me from giving up on gaming. It didn't give a crap about graphics. Just pure gameplay. It was a breath of fresh air. DS is even better.

This generation has been like the calm before the storm. Hopefully we're in for a ride next generation. If it's not different i'm out for good.

Except Killer 7

Great game - different

• Like 1

Also the fact that when the Playstation was released it was considered same generation as Dreamcast (was it not) and you can't change the rules half way through the game!

Dreamcast is in an odd position.

Released before any of the 'current gen' consoles, and hardware production stopped in 2002 afaik. So really, to not be around for 3 years and to consider it current generation is stretching it a little :hmm:

Although it is 128 bit. Confusion reigns.

EDIT

Hardware production stopped in 2001, but Software prodcution continued up to 2004 (Puyo Puyo Fever). Even Trizeal was released for the DC in April of this year!

I didn't vote for any of them. I was disapointed with all of the consoles this generation. The N64 v Playstation era was one of the greatest things gaming has ever seen. The 3D generation was young, yet games carried brilliance. The peak of video games was reached with O.o.T.

Maybe it's just we were just expecting so much after something so great. The majority of games are to obsessed with graphics, violence, sex, cut scenes and plot at the expense gameplay. Why was gameplay bad? Because it was exactly the same, just prettier. Maybe worse. Games were carbon copy's of games that came out five minutes prior. Sure we had some good games, but not enough.

The best console this generation?

GBA/DS - the GBA saved me from giving up on gaming. It didn't give a crap about graphics. Just pure gameplay. It was a breath of fresh air. DS is even better.

This generation has been like the calm before the storm. Hopefully we're in for a ride next generation. If it's not different i'm out for good.

Except Killer 7

Great game - different

Yeah I agree. Here's a karma point!

Yeah I agree. Here's a karma point!

I'd love it if you could hold me aswell... God i'm alone

*weeps*

Although my favorite games of this generation have been primarily from Nintendo, the most fun I've had has been playing Halo2 on Xbox live. So I'd give the nod to the Xbox. "It's good to play together" is a very fitting motto.

I dunno, I found PS2 a lot better than the original. I know PSone started the whole mainstream and 3D markets, but I never really had any affection for it. I mean, yeah, the Final Fantasy titles on the machine stand out as some of my favourite games in history, and it certainly had a few other classics such as Suikoden and Ridge Racer Type 4, but I also never "got" games like MGS, Gran Turismo etc... most of the PSone's biggest and most acclaimed games did nothing for me, regardless of how pretty and sophisticated they were.

PS2 has been a total turnaround. It's drowning in quality titles like Gitaroo Man, FFX, Star Ocean 3, Gunbird, R Type etc...

GC is teh win! Well theres a suprise!

PS2 for me because it gives me everything I want. The GC has been so dissapointing and the Xbox offers nothing that intrests me much.