NEurope
darksnowman

NEW! Super Mario Bros. U

Well, I guess that's your interest in this game killed then Wii. Great reviews with consistent scores praising the gameplay and game modes was the final straw, I know. Time to move on eh?

You know this might surprise you but I will buy the game at some point. I just won't be paying full price as I'm not rewarding laziness. I do enjoy NSMB but I'd like to see more effort put into the game. When the game sells 20 million + copies, they won't change any time soon.

Ah, fair enough. : peace: I'd have loved original compositions for each world too and a few more touches of visual flair, but in all other respects I think this looks really promising.

From Eurogamer

because, with or without Boost Mode, New Super Mario Bros. U is the most challenging Mario game in absolutely ages.

I like what I'm hearing

And

Is the plumber's Wii U debut as good as his recent 3D outings? Not quite, but for the New Super Mario Bros. series, it's a real step forward in detailing, imagination and character. There's always been a keen Mario brain working away inside these 2D design exercises. Now, it feels like there's a proper soul to go along with it.

Very nice way of summing up.

What's wrong with your brain?! You know where the "Add user to ignore list" button is. Use it and shut up.

No I won't shut up. Heed your own advice if you don't want to listen to me.

I don't want to ignore him, I just wish he wouldn't be so ignorant and closed minded. I almost can't wait to see him play it and eat his own words.

Wrong. I do like the Wii U. Next point, you're a liar.

A review is usually made up of presentation, graphics, sound, gameplay and lasting appeal. 2 of these crucial categories have been heavily criticised and yet it can still score 9.1?

They haven't been HEAVILY criticised they're in the "must do better" category. You know, I'd imagine most people on here would agree they could've done better on the visual design and sound front. Eater playing rayman origins I certainly wish so (though some levels look stunning); but ultimately it doesn't make a game good or bad, they're only functional. They're not major major components, will they shouldn't be.

Does the fact that the graphics and sound could be better yet its STILL getting amazing scores, doesn't that make you think the game must be really fucking good then, despite the graphics and sound it's stunning. This fact gets me even more excited.

They haven't been HEAVILY criticised they're in the "must do better" category. You know, I'd imagine most people on here would agree they could've done better on the visual design and sound front. Eater playing rayman origins I certainly wish so (though some levels look stunning); but ultimately it doesn't make a game good or bad, they're only functional. They're not major major components, will they shouldn't be.

Does the fact that the graphics and sound could be better yet its STILL getting amazing scores, doesn't that make you think the game must be really fucking good then, despite the graphics and sound it's stunning. This fact gets me even more excited.

New Super Mario Bros. U does have two critical technical flaws. Its visual and audio designs aren’t nearly as bold as its contemporaries, merely reaching the bare minimum of expectations for a HD Mario title. Wii U is a powerful system, and should be more than able to create a stunning platformer with layers upon layers of depth, great lighting and particle effects, and another world-class soundtrack. Mario U feels like it’s just achieving the minimum in any of those areas. The improvements from New Mario on Wii surface immediately, but that’s not nearly enough in an era where Rayman Legends also exists. Mario U features moments of graphical brilliance – particularly in later worlds and a the sublime level featuring Van Gogh’s ‘Starry Night’ – but they only serve to reinforce that difference. This isn’t a bad looking game. It just fails to be memorable.

The same applies to sound, where much of the game’s music feels like a retread of the past. Familiar Mario themes are certainly present, and they’re as good as always, but the routine, generic ‘New Mario’ theme is back as well – the one that features the emphasized beats that cause Koopas and Goombas to briefly stop mid-step and dance. Much like the visuals, nothing here is outright bad. It just doesn’t reach the standard set by its predecessors. Considering some of the brilliance contained in recent 3D Mario games, it’s frustrating to see Nintendo not attempt the same here. Mario games are known for their music. That should always be the case.

I think you need to read that again. Bare minimum =/= "must do better". Going by this review and others Rayman must be a perfect 10. A game is the sum of it's parts. Graphics and audio being bare minimum shouldn't be glossed over.

A game is the sum of it's parts.

Going in a cold and calculating way where review scores are ludicrously subdivided by 100 maybe. Just get over the review score, IGN loved THE GAME. Yes the presentation is disappointing, but it still looks nice and the gameplay is obviously great, which is the most important aspect.

I've been as scathing as they get when it comes to the visuals/audio, but if you're going to pick out specific comments, why didn't you pick out:

Yet disappointing visuals and audio are somewhat minor issues when compared with the fantastic gameplay, difficulty and level design.

I think you need to read that again. Bare minimum =/= "must do better". Going by this review and others Rayman must be a perfect 10. A game is the sum of it's parts. Graphics and audio being bare minimum shouldn't be glossed over.

Really? Why? Even though the extra modes may not be as good, even the level design isn't as good, or the controls? It deserves a perfect 10 because it looks and sounds good? Do you realise how utterly demented you sound yet?

If the game plays as well as mario, designed as well, has as many extra game modes and looks incredible with amazing music. It might just get that perfect 10. But to to suggest it does just because it looks and sound good when NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE CONTENT IS FULLY LIKE, especially you, and you have never played mario u and slagging of its good reviews, well, it blows my mind that people like you think the way you do.

New Super Mario Bros. U Review

New Super Mario Bros. U is a solid game, but one whose core experience is as conservative as can be and the level design, graphics, and sound are nearly identical to previous entries. The co-op features, however, are excellent, as are the new challenge modes.

It may surprise you -- and make you acutely aware of those wrinkles around your eyes -- to learn that New Super Mario Bros. U is the first original Mario title to accompany the release of new Nintendo hardware since Super Mario 64, all the way back in 1996. That title, along with its forebears Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World, not only reinvented platforming irrevocably upon release, but gave a perfect demonstration of the capabilities of the accompanying hardware.

Whether or not you believe NSMBU achieves that goal is very much dependent on whether or not you have someone with whom to play. And no, not online…despite Nintendo’s verbal commitments, NSMBU supports only local multiplayer. If left to your own devices, you’re getting a rehash of a fairly decent 2-D platformer from 2009. Accompanied by another, the game produces some genuinely fantastic moments…but moments they are, surrounded by what feels like a B-team effort from Nintendo.

Single Player System

New Super Mario Bros U is the first ever first-party Nintendo game produced in high definition, and I’m very unsurprised to say it matters very little. The graphical style (save for a few relatively inspired levels in the Soda Jungle) is cribbed from previous entries in the NSMB series, which was never much worth your attention. Some impressive backgrounds via parallax scrolling are achieved, and boy do those coins look crisp, but this is not a game that in any way shows off the graphical capabilities of the Wii U. Combined with a remarkably disappointing musical effort, in which no risks are taken and entire songs are stolen wholesale from previous entries, one can’t help but shake the feeling of a very un-Nintendo level of polish here.

Before we go on, however, though this is in no way a review of the Wii U hardware, some attention must be given to the “mirroring” capability of the game, the ability to play the full experience down on the Wii U GamePad. One might expect any glitches, any multi-frame delays in the action to be especially noticeable in a precise platformer, but I’m happy to say that the game is flawlessly playable without a television in sight. In fact, given the odd aliasing issues that still pervade certain graphical elements, the game can occasionally look better on the GamePad, given its higher pixel density. It’s oddly freeing to be able to effectively play a full console game as a handheld one, and I expect it to be a popular feature with any game that supports it.

The primary single player experience is nearly identical to previous entries in the series. The difficulty appears relatively consistent with New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and while it takes certain cues from Super Mario World, you’d be hard pressed to differentiate NSMBU from its console predecessor without counting pixels. The few changes include the replacement of the propeller suit with the “acorn suit”, functionally similar but offering less vertical lift for the ability to “stick” on walls for a short period of time, new “Nabbit” sequences, in which you chase a thief across a previously traversed level, and a few remixed 1-Up and item challenges…but there simply isn’t enough, at least in this mode. The level design is far cry from the utterly brilliant Galaxy titles, or Rayman: Origins, or even the recent Super Mario 3-D Land, but still passes among the upper echelons of the industry. Nintendo, perhaps, has simply set too high a standard given its past achievements.

A big, big positive for the game is the additional of numerous challenges, neatly available from the title screen and ranked in order of difficulty. These range wildly: there are speed runs, sequences in which you need to avoid collecting coins, fireball dodging, 1-up collecting, and dozens more. If there is creativity to be found in NSMBU, it’s here, in this mode. There are a few other modes to discuss, but it’s time to jump to…well, Player Number Two.

Twice the Fun

The Wii U modes of gameplay are described as “Boost Blocks”, where the player possessing the Wii U GamePad uses the touchscreen to place down up to four colored blocks upon which Mario may run or jump. This, as first, seems absurdly “overpowered”, but there are limitations: the blocks immediately start shrinking upon being touched, and any moving level geometry crushes the blocks into oblivion. Often, the blocks can be as detrimental to progress as helpful.

Boost Blocks may be used in the single-player experience, where it feels a bit like Super Mario Galaxy…another person joining in to assist the actual “player”. As all single-player levels are obviously designed to be completed without such assistance, the boost blocks can be helpful, but hardly necessary. The player can also, of course, tap enemies to stun them and interact in a variety of ways with the environment. In these cases, the runner is using the original Wii Remote, held sideways, to progress. The game does not support the Wii U Pro Controller, which is inexplicable and mystifying, as it offers a nearly objectively superior experience to the old Wiimote.

Back in the challenge mode, however, Boost Mode really shines. The specially designed co-op challenges are merciless, and require a remarkable harmony between runner and “builder”. If the builder leads, progress is slow and methodical, the runner reacting to available platforms and cautiously roaming rightward. However, to achieve the gold medals for the fastest times, the runner has to make leap of faith after leap of faith, trusting his or her partner to lay down platforms precisely in the right spots over yawning chasms. Expect a learning curve as the chemistry between partners grows, and resist the urge to yell as death claims Mario, time and time again. You’ll get it.

Another mode, Boost Rush, is a set of automatically scrolling levels in which the speed is increased by collecting coins. While this mode is playable without a partner, it becomes far more efficient and enjoyable with an available builder. The maximum speed is barely short of Mario’s running speed, so death will be both inevitable and frequent. It’s frenetic and fun, if not particularly deep.

Finally, Coin Battle pits any number of players against each other (no Boost Mode here) in a scramble for coins. It’s simple and addictive, and NSMBU offers a “coin placement editor” to customize the coin layouts in predetermined levels. We would have appreciated an actual level editor here, but we’ll take what we can get.

It’s worth noting that the myriad “MiiVerse” features in the game were unavailable at time of review, so we’re unsure of how those add to the experience. As primarily social features, though, we don’t expect much in terms of differentiating gameplay.

Run For The Flag

Make no mistake: this is still a solid 2-D platformer, with some great Wii U co-op experiences that show off some of the unique features the Wii U can bring to bear. But the core game, the World Map and the Level 6-3 and the Things You Can Jump On, is a reminder of how conservative gameplay design can sour a once-winning formula. These are levels you’ve played before…in high definition, I guess.

Despite all that, though, the question, “Is it fun?” is easily answered: yes. NSMBU is one of the best reasons to go out and buy the newest kid on the console block. If you want more Mario, this is where he’ll be for a little while.

The Pros

+ Boost Mode co-op play with the Wii U GamePad is addictive and fun

+ Challenges are wildly creative, and the additional modes offer plenty of replay value

The Cons

- Extremely conservative game design, offering very little exciting in the game's primary modes

- Bland graphic and sound design

- No online cooperative or competitive play

- Challenge, at least for the first several worlds, is remarkably low

SCORE

70%

Edit:

http://www.g4tv.com/games/wiiu/66199/new-super-mario-bros-u/review/

Edited by Wii

So you do like it after all!

I never said I don't like it but it is lazy. I bought the previous versions on the Wii and DS but I'm not paying full price this time because of their laziness. They did it with the Wii version, carried onto the 3DS and they've done it again. They'll never change if people keep lapping them up, why would they? Nintendo have entered the HD era and have a new control method, you'd think they'd want to roar out to the world that they've arrived. Instead it's a bit of a whimper. What's more, this is a NEXT generation console, right? Or have people forgotten this? Where's current generation graphics never mind next generation? I will buy it but not at full price.

Did you really take the time to write a fake review for a game you havent played? :rolleyes:

Edited by bryanee

Did you really take the time to write a fake review for a game you havent played? :rolleyes:

No, sorry. Forgot the link, thanks.

The Iwata asks on NSMBU has been translated. Enjoy!

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/

DLC confirmed.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

No I won't shut up. Heed your own advice if you don't want to listen to me.

I don't want to ignore him, I just wish he wouldn't be so ignorant and closed minded. I almost can't wait to see him play it and eat his own words.

Well, I'm trying to be helpful by stopping you caring about his opinion but you seem to enjoy forcing your righteous fury upon someone rather than accepting that you disagree and leaving it at that. By reacting, you've reduced the thread to this:

1078138_o.gif

And by feeding the troll, you make most of us feel like this:

tumblr_m9g4v1ODZT1qf7q7io1_500.gif

Well, I'm trying to be helpful by stopping you caring about his opinion but you seem to enjoy forcing your righteous fury upon someone rather than accepting that you disagree and leaving it at that. By reacting, you've reduced the thread to this:

1078138_o.gif

And by feeding the troll, you make most of us feel like this:

tumblr_m9g4v1ODZT1qf7q7io1_500.gif

It's not just me thought is it? Quite a lot of people are with him, theres a reason for that. I have no idea why you've been defending him so vehemently the past few weeks. He's handling himself. Isn't that what forums are about? I'm sure we don't all want it to turn into a slagging match, but I also think people should be called out, he is ruining this place for a lot of people, I know that for a fact.

I wouldn't worry about the G4TV review - seriously what kind of games site has a scoring system that only goes up to 5? - as they seem to be rather flawed, for instance they give LBP Karting 4/5 - pretty sure it's down as being average elsewhere - plus they only gave the downloadable version of Jet Set Radio a 3/5...

... need I say more? :indeed:

In all fairness though 91% does seem awfully high for a game that's lacking quite a bit.

But if it's a recommendation based on the games available on that system at this point in time( let's face it this or nintendoland) then I suppose it's hard to argue it.

On the other hand a person looking at the WiiU console as a purchase will be looking at this as well. It doesn't do anything the wii version doesn't really

I will buy it but not at full price.

Have you ever known a mario game to come down in price?