NEurope
darksnowman

NEW! Super Mario Bros. U

They must have got their WiiUs before everyone else AND rushed through the game to get these out as the first reviews. I think the latter is reflected in their comments.

If in that time they played all levels, got all the special coins and all secret exits (and possibly more), which of course is bread and butter to any seasoned player, then hats off to them. Mario isn't a 'campaign' after all.. :indeed:

Edited by Lens of Truth

I find it funny how they give % review scores for the various aspects like innovation and accessibility. EDGE were right to make fun of /100 scores.

Maybe 4 seconds of gameplay footage (understadable given the game's visuals) and we're also back to promoting the notion that the Wii U is only a gamepad add-on for the Wii.

I think leaving out a Level Editor/Creator from this game was so lazy on Nintendo's part.

It's a bit much when the only selling point of the Gamepad in the advert for Nintendo's biggest First Party launch title is... 'Place a block to give a boost'.

I think leaving out a Level Editor/Creator from this game was so lazy on Nintendo's part.

It's a bit much when the only selling point of the Gamepad in the advert for Nintendo's biggest First Party launch title is... 'Place a block to give a boost'.

While a level creator is good in theory, does it really fit Mario? Why must every game have level creators these days

While a level creator is good in theory, does it really fit Mario? Why must every game have level creators these days
I don't know, I think people would have fun creating their own levels, sharing them on Miiverse and then competiting to set the fastest time on them/who can collect the most coins etc... on leaderboards.

Doesn't necessarily need to be a level creator no, but something to really sell the 'GamePad experience/difference' would have been nice.

Maybe 4 seconds of gameplay footage (understadable given the game's visuals) and we're also back to promoting the notion that the Wii U is only a gamepad add-on for the Wii.

As you clearly don't work in marketing I'll explain it for you. The advert gets over the following features:

- The game can be enjoyed by different people (adults and their child and a group of children alone).

- The game allows for different types of play, gamepad and remote.

- The game can be played without the TV, leaving it free for others.

- The game is classic Mario fun with a new twist

The 20 million plus people that purchased NSMBWii didn't do so for cutting edge graphics. The games visuals are great, they do exactly what they need to.

People on here seemed to like how different the levels felt in New Super Mario Bros. 2 because they were designed by people who had never made Super Mario levels before, so just think of the levels you'd be able to play if people could create and share their own levels on the Wii U.

But yeah, I guess that doesn't suit Mario for some reason. That's a good point, Serebii. :indeed:

People on here seemed to like how different the levels felt in New Super Mario Bros. 2 because they were designed by people who had never made Super Mario levels before, so just think of the levels you'd be able to play if people could create and share their own levels on the Wii U.

But yeah, I guess that doesn't suit Mario for some reason. That's a good point, Serebii. :indeed:

The people who made NSMB2 were not amateurs, they've worked on plenty of other Nintendo titles and are a clear cut above other developers (let alone the general public!)

Fanmade levels are nowhere near as good as Nintendo's own ones; and that's not even taking into account the 4/5 player element. Designing levels to work just as well in 1 player as they do with 4/5 players is bloody hard; NSMB Wii was the first of its kind and it's a tremendous accomplishment from a purely level design perspective (and really, the Mario series is all about level design at its fundamental core).

Level design is an art, not a science. It's something that can only really be crafted to the quality that Nintendo deliver by a select few and most community made levels would be utter shite (giving a false impression of the rest of the game)

Why waste time developing something that will only lower the overall quality of the game? It's not like the game is lacking content and variety as it is :hmm:

I suppose in that respect, you could say that the customisable coin placement in Coin Battle mode is a nice compromise solution. Gives players a taste of what designing levels is like, adds endless amounts of variety in that mode and doesn't tarnish the game as a whole :)

Edited by Dcubed

Fine, you win. Being able to design your own custom levels would suck. Kids would hate it, no one would ever be able to touch the genius of Nintendo's own designers, it would make the overall game worse and being able to customize coin placement sounds awesome.

Fine, you win. Being able to design your own custom levels would suck. Kids would hate it, no one would ever be able to touch the genius of Nintendo's own designers, it would make the overall game worse and being able to customize coin placement sounds awesome.

It's not that it would suck, it's just that development time is finite and that they need to prioritise perfecting the craft of their own levels over making a level editor for the average person to use.

Nintendo aren't exactly opposed to offering up level editors for players (F-zero X Expansion Kit, Excitebike, Wario Ware DIY, Mario VS DK 2-4, New Art Academy, Picross DS and Picross 3D are all fine examples), it's just that it needs to fit the game that they're making.

If the entire game isn't based around user generated content (ALA Wario Ware DIY, Mario Paint, Wii Music or the F-Zero X Expansion Kit), then the process needs to be simplified, restrictive and yet intuitive enough for the average person to create quality content (Picross, New Art Academy's lesson creator and even NSMBU's Coin Battle user placable coins are a good example of this)

Otherwise it becomes too complex for the average person (and wouldn't result in quality user generated content) and just takes away from valuable development time that could be better spent elsewhere.

Edited by Dcubed

Well, at least we can alter coin placement.

True this. I am actually really looking forward to that :D

I'm the kind of guy who hates making levels in Little Big Planet because it's so excessively complicated - but I could easily see myself making some killer customised Coin Battle levels (I can't wait to make a level with a single coin that everyone has to fight over for :laughing:)

Simple, yet powerful enough to enable lots of creativity without too much work. That's the ticket :)

Edited by Dcubed

Havnt' they confirmed you can create your own coin placements in coin battle mode. While not a full level editor, as the point is to collect all the coins it still allows for some excellent creativity in design.

I don't think it's a great advert. Too rushed to soak everything in , and I do feel it seems like an add on for the wii. Nintendo are in danger of making the same mistake with the 3ds here. The graphical style and everyone using wii motes muddies things. I feel they should have started an concentrated on the gamepad - one person playing, an all new mario, place blocks down, play soley on it; THEN introduce multiplayer and the wiimotes - rather than throw it all in together at the same time. Maybe even a slight highlight - use your old wii remotes to play multiplayer! Differentiating between the NEW and the OLD mario. CLARITY!!!!

I think the Nintendo adverts should have been much darker. Each box should have represented a US 'hardcore' gamer's basement dwelling - each one more dank and vile than the last. Dirty clothes, energy drink cans and pizza boxes should have adorned the floor.

One lone gamer should have sat in each dimly lit square playing a hardcore multi-player game using a gaming headset.

As the camera moved around the squares each gamer should have performed an increasingly violent kill whilst uttering an increasingly swear ridden profanity at the screen. These scenes get shorter and faster building to an epic crescendo of a player hurling his pad at the screen and screaming FUUUUUCCCKK at the top of his voice.

As his mouth is wide open the camera flies down his throat and the screen goes to black. Then the Wii U logo appears with the tagline - 'Nintendo - now providing exactly the same experience as Microsoft and Sony'

I defo think this would have been the best advert EVER!

[This is a sarcastic post for those that didn't figure it out!]

I think the Nintendo adverts should have been much darker. Each box should have represented a US 'hardcore' gamer's basement dwelling - each one more dank and vile than the last. Dirty clothes, energy drink cans and pizza boxes should have adorned the floor.

One lone gamer should have sat in each dimly lit square playing a hardcore multi-player game using a gaming headset.

As the camera moved around the squares each gamer should have performed an increasingly violent kill whilst uttering an increasingly swear ridden profanity at the screen. These scenes get shorter and faster building to an epic crescendo of a player hurling his pad at the screen and screaming FUUUUUCCCKK at the top of his voice.

[This is a sarcastic post for those that didn't figure it out!]

Up to this point I actually liked that idea!! Only to move from PS360 grey/brown boxes to the colourful, local multiplayer boxes of Wii U!

Tag line: "Remember when gaming was something you did WITH your 'real' friends"

There's a challenge for purposely skipping as many coins as possible!?

NSMB2 players are so screwed...

Can't wait for a subtitled version of that. This game just gets better and better. Desperate to see how complex you can make your rules. Is it just coin placements as initially stated (still great) or can you really create new rules for levels and such?! And how do you share these? Do you send them to people or can people just take them from you if they're friends with you? Is there a challenge shop in the game/miiverse so we can see loads of peoples and maybe even have them rated so we can pick the best ones etc etc.

EDIT So it seems like you can create your own rules properly and share them. You can also post videos of you playing - AMAZING!!!

From IGN

Also worth noting that New Super Mario Bros. U explicitly lists Downloadable Content under its 'Nintendo Network' features.

Expected really, but there you go

Damn this looks amazing. The fact alone that the Sunken Ghost Ship is back makes me excited!

The over world looks brilliant. I literally can't wait to get my hands on this.