NEurope
darksnowman

NEW! Super Mario Bros. U

My opinion is as valid as anybody elses. Just because you don't like what I have to say. What everybody must blindly agree with everything Nintendo does? How dare you question the mighty infallible Nintendo? Ya right!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

@Serebii Name the innovations of the gamepad use? The wii remote could serve the same function. What about a level editor? NSMB Wii was easy and this is meant to be easier. My only bias is against laziness.
Why does the game have to use the GamePad to be a great game?

That's like saying that the Wii U version on Assassins Creed III should be marked down compared to the other versions because it barely uses the gamepad. You can't score like that.

The Gamepad is there to be used, if a game makes use of it great!

But likewise a game shouldn't just be marked up for using it.

Though 9.1 does seem a bit high IMO, considering the graphics and music, but the gameplay/replayabilty etc... must really be all that!

Off-TV play is the only thing this game does that the Wii can't.

Can't create your own challenges using the GamePad on the Wii one ;)

Can't play 5 Player Assist Mode on the Wii one ;)

That's like saying that the Wii U version on Assassins Creed III should be marked down compared to the other versions because it barely uses the gamepad. You can't score like that.

I get the feeling about a dozen professional reviewers will beg to differ on that one.

Remember when IGN faulted Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for not featuring Miis? We're gonna have that sort of thing for the next 18 months.

IGN have lost all credibility. 9.1? No online co-op, reused music, reskinned graphics. Same gameplay, doesn't make any real use of the gamepad, the supposed innovation of this "next generation console". I called it over on the IGN boards that it deserved in the high 7's but would probably get 8.9. Seriously 9.1? I knew they'd never shoot down Nintendo's flagship title but seriously take off the fanboy goggles.

Coming from the guy who judges the worth of a game on its filesize? I think it's you who lacks any credibility.

As you've throughly played the game from start to finish, I'm sure your opinion is obviously far more valid than these reviewers!

Pretty decent reviews, I doubt anyone was expecting a innovation / masterpiece of creativity or playability.

I'm also obsessed with that opening jingle from the IGN review (and I assume game's title screen). SMB2 retro goodness.

Why does the game have to use the GamePad to be a great game?

The Gamepad is there to be used, if a game makes use of it great!

But likewise a game shouldn't just be marked up for using it.

Though 9.1 does seem a bit high IMO, considering the graphics and music, but the gameplay/replayabilty etc... must really be all that!

Because this is Nintendo's new console not Ubisoft's. They should be promoting and incorporating the new features of their new console and gamepad.

Shame the Painted Wasteland seems to only be a single level and not a whole world like I'd assumed!

:(

Coming from the guy who judges the worth of a game on its filesize? I think it's you who lacks any credibility.

As you've throughly played the game from start to finish, I'm sure your opinion is obviously far more valid than these reviewers!

It's called a prediction. :zzz:

Can't create your own challenges using the GamePad on the Wii one ;)

Can't play 5 Player Assist Mode on the Wii one ;)

The Wii remote could be used to create challenges. 5 player. O.K. I'll give you that but really how many of us will end up with 5 players? That reminds me, they removed nunchuk support. Why? I used the nunchuk.

IGN have lost all credibility. 9.1? No online co-op, reused music, reskinned graphics. Same gameplay, doesn't make any real use of the gamepad, the supposed innovation of this "next generation console". I called it over on the IGN boards that it deserved in the high 7's but would probably get 8.9. Seriously 9.1? I knew they'd never shoot down Nintendo's flagship title but seriously take off the fanboy goggles.

Mate was is your problem? How old are you? You have to be a child. You wonder why you getting in to scrapes with so many people on these boards? You're incapable of having an intelligent conversation with.

YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME!!!! All these reviewers have? Is it a coincidence they're all high scores?

All that matters is how good the game is? Yeah we want it to look as good as possible and sound as good as possible and be innovative and creative etc. But if it's brilliant it's brilliant?!?

No one slags off low budget dramas or smaller genre films? If it's goos, it's good.

You have this views of gaming it seems no one is aligned with; but you're unreasonable and attacking in how you express it.

YES it should be a little more creative visually and in its sound, but ultimately it's great where it matters.

Because this is Nintendo's new console not Ubisoft's. They should be promoting and incorporating the new features of their new console and gamepad.
I agree that Nintendo should have done a lot more with the GamePad at launch across all its games to showcase as many great aspects of the device as possible.

But then I guess they're just content with Nintendo Land for that, and have concentrated on making this a worthy 2D Mario. If it's a great game, it deserves a high score.

Edited by Retro_Link

As for the video review, all sounds amazing. Imagine what score it would have got if the graphics sound and gamepad uses were as creative as its level design and challenge mode :)

I agree that Nintendo should have done a lot more with the GamePad at launch.

Have you seen Nintendoland?! That's all it does!

A portion of IGN's NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U REVIEW:

New Super Mario Bros. U does have two critical technical flaws. Its visual and audio designs aren’t nearly as bold as its contemporaries, merely reaching the bare minimum of expectations for a HD Mario title. Wii U is a powerful system, and should be more than able to create a stunning platformer with layers upon layers of depth, great lighting and particle effects, and another world-class soundtrack. Mario U feels like it’s just achieving the minimum in any of those areas. The improvements from New Mario on Wii surface immediately, but that’s not nearly enough in an era where Rayman Legends also exists. Mario U features moments of graphical brilliance – particularly in later worlds and a the sublime level featuring Van Gogh’s ‘Starry Night’ – but they only serve to reinforce that difference. This isn’t a bad looking game. It just fails to be memorable.

The same applies to sound, where much of the game’s music feels like a retread of the past. Familiar Mario themes are certainly present, and they’re as good as always, but the routine, generic ‘New Mario’ theme is back as well – the one that features the emphasized beats that cause Koopas and Goombas to briefly stop mid-step and dance. Much like the visuals, nothing here is outright bad. It just doesn’t reach the standard set by its predecessors. Considering some of the brilliance contained in recent 3D Mario games, it’s frustrating to see Nintendo not attempt the same here. Mario games are known for their music. That should always be the case.

Does that sound like it comes from a game that goes on to score 9.1/10?

New Super Mario Bros. U does have two critical technical flaws. Its visual and audio designs aren’t nearly as bold as its contemporaries, merely reaching the bare minimum of expectations for a HD Mario title. Wii U is a powerful system, and should be more than able to create a stunning platformer with layers upon layers of depth, great lighting and particle effects, and another world-class soundtrack. Mario U feels like it’s just achieving the minimum in any of those areas. The improvements from New Mario on Wii surface immediately, but that’s not nearly enough in an era where Rayman Legends also exists. Mario U features moments of graphical brilliance – particularly in later worlds and a the sublime level featuring Van Gogh’s ‘Starry Night’ – but they only serve to reinforce that difference. This isn’t a bad looking game. It just fails to be memorable.

The same applies to sound, where much of the game’s music feels like a retread of the past. Familiar Mario themes are certainly present, and they’re as good as always, but the routine, generic ‘New Mario’ theme is back as well – the one that features the emphasized beats that cause Koopas and Goombas to briefly stop mid-step and dance. Much like the visuals, nothing here is outright bad. It just doesn’t reach the standard set by its predecessors. Considering some of the brilliance contained in recent 3D Mario games, it’s frustrating to see Nintendo not attempt the same here. Mario games are known for their music. That should always be the case.

Yes, because we're playing games, not looking at CGI art and listening to music

Oh lord what is wrong with your brain? That is one bit of a review? Anyone can select a part of a review and make a game good or bad... And out of all the aspects of a game (though they are all important) I'd prefer the graphics and audio to be lacking in creativity compared with level design and modes and such.

We get it, we've all got it for a very long time, you don't like the wii u and find any childish painstaking way to slag it off. But you talk nonsense and add nothing to any debate whatsoever. You do my head in in pretty much every thread, you make me not want to come in those boards when I see you've posted because I know it willl be negative unsubstantiated drivel. I'm all up for healthy debate but you're on another level with your agenda!

Yes, because we're playing games, not looking at CGI art and listening to music

Nintendo could beat you half to death with a Wii U and you'd still blindly defend their decisions. :indeed:

Oh lord what is wrong with your brain? That is one bit of a review? Anyone can select a part of a review and make a game good or bad... And out of all the aspects of a game (though they are all important) I'd prefer the graphics and audio to be lacking in creativity compared with level design and modes and such.

We get it, we've all got it for a very long time, you don't like the wii u and find any childish painstaking way to slag it off. But you talk nonsense and add nothing to any debate whatsoever. You do my head in in pretty much every thread, you make me not want to come in those boards when I see you've posted because I know it willl be negative unsubstantiated drivel. I'm all up for healthy debate but you're on another level with your agenda!

What's wrong with your brain?! You know where the "Add user to ignore list" button is. Use it and shut up.

I've run out of thanks, but believe me, you'd be getting some if I had any left!

:bowdown:

I can see where Wii is coming from on this, but the point is that the gameplay and design wins through at the end of the day. The graphics are good enough, not stunning - I don't see anyone saying they are - and music is a letdown (at least the world map music is new and sort of in the vein of SMW). Personally I couldn't give two figs for online in this. Challenge mode sounds fantastic!

Edited by Lens of Truth

Wrong. I do like the Wii U. Next point, you're a liar.

A review is usually made up of presentation, graphics, sound, gameplay and lasting appeal. 2 of these crucial categories have been heavily criticised and yet it can still score 9.1?

Well, I guess that's your interest in this game killed then Wii. Great reviews with consistent scores praising the gameplay and game modes was the final straw, I know. Time to move on eh?