N-Europe

ZombiU

Retro_Link

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I think I need to go on a zombi u blackout now...

I think I'll join you, I get the feeling I shouldn't have watched that vid :heh:

Why did that video say the game comes out November 13 if the Wii U comes out in USA 18 November

spotted that too.... really bad typo maybe

This and Arkham City are the only 2 games to really make use of the gamepad screen as far as I know. Ubisoft are showing Nintendo how a console should be supported with hopefully quality titles at launch.

What are you smoking?

Black Ops 2 - map during gameplay and for the first time in a COD game it allows you to customise classes on the fly during gameplay. Also allows two players to play on seperate screens at the same time - much better than split screen.

Mass Effect 3 - Map and interactive features during gameplay.

NSMBU - allows for asymmetric play. Allows for a second player to add new platforms via the touch screen. Allows the game to be played soley off the tablet.

NintendoLand - Asymmetric gameplay split across several titles featuring gameplay experiences rarely or never seen before and uses the gyroscopes to allow for aiming and movement in certain games.

I could go on.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

How many of these games have you played? As the overwhelming majority of people that have played NintendoLand love it. It's also a fresh gaming experience that isn't found anywhere else. It seems to me that the vast majority of launch games are of a very high quality and a lot of effort has been put in by developers to utilise the tablet. But as you're an expert on the matter, please explain how NintendoLand isn't a good use of the tablet?

How does Arkham City make decent use of the gamepad. Basically they've just moved previously in-game features like scanning and controlling the Batarang on to the second screen haven't they. Pointless IMO.

The likes of NSMB U and Rayman Legends with there real-time interactivity is far more interesting.

How does Arkham City make decent use of the gamepad. Basically they've just moved previously in-game features like scanning and controlling the Batarang on to the second screen haven't they. Pointless IMO.

The likes of NSMB U and Rayman Legends with there real-time interactivity is far more interesting.

As I've said elsewhere placing platforms for noobs in NSMB is really interesting and a major leap in gameplay. Almost as exciting as the second player shooting star bits in Mario Galaxy. Yawn!

As I've said elsewhere placing platforms for noobs in NSMB is really interesting and a major leap in gameplay. Almost as exciting as the second player shooting star bits in Mario Galaxy. Yawn!
How is Batman's use a major leap in gameplay? They've just moved the features on to the screen. Hardly Zombi U in terms of interactivity is it!

How is Batman's use a major leap in gameplay? They've just moved the features on to the screen. Hardly Zombi U in terms of interactivity is it!

I don't really care. I'm just saying NSMB is hardly revolutionary and Batman while in the same boat, is still far better at implementing gameplay features. Batman has it's own problems. Full price for a year old port. Thanks Warner Bros..

Not sure it really adds much, but Batman was the game I enjoyed least when I played the Wii U. Yes, it did use the GamePad in a few interesting ways, but it just didn't feel quite right.

And Nintendo Land was amazing. No-one disses Nintendo Land on my watch.

I think we should all just agree that most Wii U launch games' use of the screen on the controller is about as interesting as all those DS games that have the map on the bottom screen.

And that way, everyone can just pretend that 'most' doesn't include whichever games they think actually use the extra screen in an interesting way.

I think we should all just agree that most Wii U launch games' use of the screen on the controller is about as interesting as all those DS games that have the map on the bottom screen.

And that way, everyone can just pretend that 'most' doesn't include whichever games they think actually use the extra screen in an interesting way.

It strikes me that some people are unable to distinguish between something being unique/special/interesting and something being better functionally.

Whacking a map onto a second screen isn't unique special or interesting, but it's a much better than having to keep hitting the pause button or go into some menu screen. Likewise, placing platforms in NSMBU could be done with a Wii Remote pointing at the screen much like you could control Murphy in Rayman in the exact same way - you could still retain the 5 player mechanic as well as you could plug in a classic controller into the Wii Remote and use both at the same time if sat close enough to someone making both games capable of being performed on the Wii. But the gamepad's touch screen will just be more accurate since it's easier to draw with a stylus against a pad than using the pointer in space.

So it's functionally better at doing the job creating a better gameplay experience - it doesn't make it interesting, but it is better for it. If anything, you should be arguing the mechanic itself and not the implementation of it as the latter seems to be excuted rather well by all studios so far.

I had the pleasure of experiencing ZombiU at the Play Expo yesterday. Before I give my impressions I will make this clear: this was totally the wrong the setting to experience this game, you need to experience this game alone, in a dark room with the sound turned right up and you need to take your time.

However from my experience with this game, one thing was clear – this is the rebirth of true survival horror. That’s a pretty bold statement, but I’ll explain in detail why I feel this way.

Firstly the game looks great. The art style and the colours are very atmospheric and you whole ambience of the game makes you feel as if you really are in a post-apocalyptic nightmare. When I first stepped out onto the banks of the river Thames and looked at Tower Bridge it felt eerie, like a nightmare come to life and you felt genuinely alone and stranded.

Playing the game you instantly realise one thing: this game isn’t Black Ops Zombies, nor is it Left 4 Dead. This game isn’t about killing zombies, it’s about surviving. You’re not trying to cut your way through hundreds or thousands of undead with a fully automatic weapon, you’re a lone survivor with limited ammo and supplies and your goal is simply to stay alive.

As you move around the world you move slowly and deliberately checking every corpse for ammo and supplies hoping for just a couple of bullets as they might be the difference between life and death later down the line. Ammo conservation is a major part of this game.

The feature that really sets this game apart and ramps up the tension is everything is done in real time. If you want to check your back pack and manage your items or weapons you don’t pause the game. When you take your back pack off you look down at the pad to rummage through it, this means you have to take your eyes of the screen and this adds a sense of urgency and tension to what you are doing.

I read a preview where a journalist complained about this. Well I’m sorry, but if you don’t get the importance of this then you don’t get survival horror. As you’re looking through your bag on the tablet you’re constantly listening and glancing up at your TV to see if you’re safe, just as you would if you were really in a situation where your life was under threat and you had to stop to check something – there’s no pause button in a real zombie apocalypse! Arranging your items isn’t a chance for a break and a cup of tea whilst the world you’re in stands still waiting for you to finish up, checking your items makes you vulnerable.

Due to the pacing and the way you are forced to move around and manage your items and weapons this game feels unique and engaging. It is true survival horror and would be comparable to the feeling of playing through one of the original Dawn of the Dead films.

I was one who originally complained about the lack of online co-op, but after I played the game I can honestly understand why there isn’t online co-op. The key to this game is the feeling of isolation. I remember playing the original Resident Evil games and feeling isolated, but when I played RE5 I never really felt any tension as I always had someone with me and always had a powerful weapon with plenty of ammo. If you played this in co-op like RE5 the tension and isolation would be gone and it just wouldn’t work.

The one thing I didn’t like about the game was that that after spending a generation being spoilt be fast and accurate Wii remote aiming I was forced back to dual analog control. I found it much more difficult to get headshots and aim precisely with the dual analog sticks than I do with the Wii Remote. A good comparison would be the difference in pulling off a headshot in the Gamecube RE4 and Wii edition of RE4. The controls were also a little twitchy for my liking and I hope that will be something I can customise when the game is released.

I never thought of the game having co-op, but yeah I can see how co-op would ruin it, because you'd contantly have someone to watch you're back and cover you when you're rummaging through your backpack etc...

So how did you guys approach the Zombie's when you came across them?

I've heard that sound alerts Zombies, but is it possible to just quietly walk past them so you don't have to engage them (if they're facing away from you of course)... Or can you sneak up to them and take them out in a stealth fashion, or would they always turn around. What was general combat you came across and the approach to it like?

Edited by Retro_Link

So how did you guys approach the Zombie's when you came across them? I've heard that sound alerts Zombies, but is it possible to just quietly walk past them so you don't have to engage them (if they're facing away from you of course)... Or can you sneak up to them and take them out in a stealth fashion, or would they always turn around. What was general combat you came across and the approach to it like?

I didn't really get that deep into the mechanics of the game. For a start it's a tough game so I didn't get too far and secondly the show floor wasn't conducive to picking up the more subtle nuances of the game play.

One thing I did notice was that the zombies make noises and shuffle around so you can hear them when they're getting closer. So sound will definitely be important to the player. I also noticed that on occasion I could make out the position of a zombie by the shadow it was casting.

The zombies certainly don't come running for you. You can see them from a way off just shambling around and unless you bother them they carry on about their business. It's not like L4D where they just come at you running in droves.

I found the combat was something that you felt you had to get right. Because you die quite easily you don't want to let the zombies get on top of you. I found that when it was a one on one situation you could use the bat rather than a gun and that helped conserve ammo, but in certain situations using a gun was far more practical.

There's also a handy 'shove' button so you can just push them back when you need to and the shove can send them toppling over the edges of scenery and buy you time.

I used a sniper rifle which handled well and lets you pick them off from a distance. It allowed for a creative kill which cleared the way for you.

I'm not sure you would sneak up on a zombie as you are always sneaking. Everything is done in a very stealthy fashion and you move slowly and deliberately, especially in the darkened areas where you really on your torch to light the way. It's areas like that you really rely on your hearing to pick out potential threats.

I would say the game is one of the most deliberately slow games I've played and the best tactic seems to either take out zombies on their own with a melee weapon to conserve ammo or to try and take out large groups from a distance. The one thing you don't want is to end up with two or more zombies getting close to you at the same time.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!