N-Europe

Does anyone feel sympathy for Doctors?

flameboy

I mean under the new plans they will still get a £51,000 a year pension and a one off lump sum of about £80,000 which is less than now but still a lot...they are also complaining that they may have to work till 68, welcome to the real world.

I personally don't feel any sympathy, its a high paying job granted compared to other high ranking government jobs like high civil servants they are being asked to contribute more, but you know what their time may come later down the line. We live in times of uncertainty why shouldn't they also be made to deal with cuts much like us further down the scale.

I feel sorry for the kind of work NHS doctors are going to have to take on. I haven't read about this pay stuff so far though, will have a gander.

Yeah true but we are very much in an era where public service workers are all being expected to do more for less. I'm pretty glad to getting out of my job when I am.

Yeah true but we are very much in an era where public service workers are all being expected to do more for less. I'm pretty glad to getting out of my job when I am.

You mean as opposed to the last few decades where they've done very little for more money than the rest of the country.

I hate the saying 'they don't know what it's like to live in the real world'. They're doctors!!

It was their choice to go through university and study a very difficult degree and put up with being treat like rubbish during their f1 year. It was also their choice to earn a lot of money and live a more comfortable life, just like you have chosen to earn less.

They should fight their corner, just like anyone should when they feel like they are being wronged. Not just 'deal with it'.

I saw this in a paper this morning...strange.

No, I am sorry, but I don't. £51k a year? Fuck me, I don't even think I'm getting a damn pension, least nothing compared to that, most of it will be me saving.

I understand doctors do have a rough time, it can be, the work that goes into it all, but you don't take up that profession without knowing that, I don't know enough about this strike to put in any real input, but on first glance it seems pretty damn greedy.

Hmm.

I sort of have to feel sympathy for them, since my sister is a newly fledged doctor. But i think i'll have to have a chat with her about the specifics before i make up my mind.

My automatic reaction to such stuff posted in the Daily Mail etc is to side with the opposite viewpoint. Usually i assume that the whole story is not being presented, so i'll have to find out exactly what's going on before i decide.

With regards to striking, I've always considered it to be a pointless idea. Instead of a strike, have a massive meeting and create a plan that the Government could actually implement.

You can't just say "Look, I know you really can't afford it right now, but give us more money.".

Doctors get massively overpaid in my opinion, and these salary cuts are a good thing. The system is designed to place them in a top tier with e.g. lawyers and business jobs (albeit towards the bottom end of it), but the problem is that these are funded by the private sector, whereas NHS doctors are essentially civil servants and so should get paid less. I'm not saying these salaries should be extremely low, as it's a high-stress professional position that requires extensive training and is fundamental to society, but then so is teaching, and teachers really get the short straw here. Yes, there isn't quite as much training involved, and perhaps teachers don't deserve as much money, but the current state is completely unbalanced. That said, the free marketeer in me wants to say private doctors should earn whatever there's a market for people to pay, but that does sound kind of dangerous...

In a world where footballers are paid millions of pounds per game and we accept that, I think we can accept that doctors earn a lot of money. It's a selfless profession imo.

That's a ridiculous analogy that people use to "justify" any payment that's less than £100k+ a week. Footballer's aren't paid by taxpayers money. If they were then we certainly wouldn't accept it.

That said, the free marketeer in me wants to say private doctors should earn whatever there's a market for people to pay, but that does sound kind of dangerous...

The free market is dangerous. When it comes to essentials like our health, I'm not a fan of letting money be in control.

I'm not aware of the current situation in Britain and so can't comment on the specific cut, but my general thoughts are that being a doctor is a very difficult and important job and so deserves a high pay.

This was strongly debated on Question Time the other night with several strong points that I cannot remember well enough to put across but needless to say, these points covered what others have suggested in here.

People study for a lot longer than most to qualify so they can start their qualification, they do work longer hours and place themselves in a more hazardous environment (i.e. examining ikky poo (thank you @Iun)) than a lot of people etc.

There are also people saying this is wrong, they are being too greedy after being paid a lot already.

I think what we need to look at though is the increasing desire to head straight for a strike after the government cannot seem to react to anyone striking without bending over and appeasing their every demand. The unions can see the weakness and are exploiting the current government's desperate actions to keep favour with people.