N-Europe

Castlevania: Mirror of Fate

Fused King

And so it begins.

CASTLEVANIA: MIRROR OF FATE

Update: NeoGAF member “Santiako” is adding more details to the rumor. Mirror of Fate features 2D gameplay similar to what was produced on the DS. However, Mercury Steam is making the game rather than Konami. Konami will still be publishing.

It seems that Konami will be announcing Castlevania: Mirror of Fate, a new 3DS title, at this year’s E3. The news apparently comes from the company’s appointment schedule for the event.

Gameplay information is not yet available. However, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow producer David Cox and director/writer Enric Álvarez are supposedly working on Mirror of Fate.

Take this with a grain of salt for now. It would certainly make sense to bring a new Castlevania to the 3DS though.

Edited by Retro_Link

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just about to post this! (shakes fist)

Another guy mentioned that it has 2D gameplay but uses celshaded 3D polygon graphics.

LOS 2 has been rumoured for ages, but it looks like it turned out to be this game instead. Not sure if want...

If IGA and the rest of the Japanese CV staff were involved, I'd feel a lot better about this. LOS wasn't bad, but I don't trust Mercury Steam to make a 2D CV on their own.

The question also here is what kind of CV will it be? Actionvania or Metroidvania? (Or maybe something completely different!)

Update! Looks like it's real! Konami tried to take the original site down, response is here - http://www.n1ntendo.nl/article/38054/1/All/wereldprimeur-artikel-offline-wegens-verzoek-konami

They also say that there was a typo in the name; so it's probably called Mirror of Fate rather than Mirror of Faith.

Also, apparently a few rumours were swirling around a few days ago about it being a Metroidvania without the levelling up and with Order of Ecclesia style level design (a mix of linear and Metroid style levels). We're supposedly due two CG trailers at E3. One for Mirror of Fate and another for Lords of Shadow 2 (console game) MoF takes place between LOS1 & 2 story wise.

Edited by Dcubed

Also, apparently a few rumours were swirling around a few days ago about it being a Metroidvania without the levelling up and with Order of Ecclesia style level design (a mix of linear and Metroid style levels). We're supposedly due two CG trailers at E3. One for Mirror of Fate and another for Lords of Shadow 2 (console game) MoF takes place between LOS1 & 2 story wise.

Okami-sama, I so hope that LOS1 and 2 will see a release on the WiiU.

If anything just LOS2.

Gameplay sounds like a nice unique use of the 3DS

Mirror of Fate is a 2D Castlevania game that has been in development for a year-and-a-half, and features two playable characters and co-op play. It uses the 3DS' forward-facing camera as a mirror and the outward facing camera for puzzle solving.
Edited by Retro_Link

I was a big fan of the DS games and was wondering when this was going to show up - suprised they waited this long. I suspect they were trying out different game ideas before settling on the tried and tested.

Ecclesia had the linear and open levels but PoR beat it to that punch really with the big open Castle and more directed sub levels - I also thought the level design was much better too than OoE.

As for art style, I guess the presumption is it will be done to match the LoS games since it ties directly to them. I've not actually played the game but from the bits I've seen, I always felt LoS looked a lot more generic than past Castlevania games if not just as an attempt to appeal to a wider audience. It still looked good, but not overly unique.

Any word on a target release? OoE was in March and I think PoR was February though that might have krept in before year end in America - I'm not sure. You'd think they'd target the holidays but the past suggests maybe they aren't fussed.

I hope it does come this year though as there would be few games I'd rather have on the 3DS than this - providing it's up to standard of course.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Details from Nintendo Power.

castle2.png

- deep combat mechanics

- involves Trevor Belmont

- Fight with Trevor's version of the Combat Cross

- strong attacks with X

- wider-reaching attacks with Y

- secondary weapons like the boomerang-like glaive and electric bomb

- use these with A

- grab enemies with R

- block and dodge with L

- involves light and shadow magic returns

- earn experience points to unlock new combos

- these include launching foes into the air, smashing enemies down to the ground and more

- includes skeletons, axe-wielding undead and more

Given LoS was supposed to be a reboot for the series, I'm surprised they've drafted in a name like Trevor Belmont - I'd have thought they would have used all new names just to keep the timelines seperate instead of muddying the water so to speak. In those two pictures, he is sporting a green coat in one and a blue coat in the other isn't he- it's not just my eyes? The blue on the right reminds me of Richter.

Certainly looks the part though with some nice lighting effects and by the sounds of it, a clear emphasis on combat like the console game it follows. Hopefully, it will still blend this action focused approach with the intricate level designs of old. It's not like the DS games were ever light on combat - Soma and Jonathon had several dozen main weapons and a couple of dozen more subweapons at their disposal after all.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on DS was the game that introduced me to the Castlevania series back in 2006.. and it remains my favourite to this day :smile: That may be largely down to the fact that it was my first and I have played so many similar Castlevania games since then, on DS, GBA and the Virtual Console that were never gonna feel quite as fresh to me..

The fact that Mirror of Fate looks like going in a different direction from previous handheld offerings has me looking forward to seeing more of it :hehe:

Given LoS was supposed to be a reboot for the series, I'm surprised they've drafted in a name like Trevor Belmont - I'd have thought they would have used all new names just to keep the timelines seperate instead of muddying the water so to speak. In those two pictures, he is sporting a green coat in one and a blue coat in the other isn't he- it's not just my eyes? The blue on the right reminds me of Richter.

Certainly looks the part though with some nice lighting effects and by the sounds of it, a clear emphasis on combat like the console game it follows. Hopefully, it will still blend this action focused approach with the intricate level designs of old. It's not like the DS games were ever light on combat - Soma and Jonathon had several dozen main weapons and a couple of dozen more subweapons at their disposal after all.

[i don't know Castlevania, so I don't know who Trevor Belmont is, apart from the Belmont family being the lead characters]

But the description doesn't necessarily say you play as Trevor Belmont, it says the game involves him and you fight with his version of the cross.

I think it is meant to be the same colour jacket, although I don't know... is that an upgrade feature of the series like Links tunics?

Interesting. Glad that it's 3D. Honestly as much as I love 2D sprite-based games, I think you really need a fully 3D polygonal environment to make the best use of the 3D effect on the 3DS.

Also, they can't make Metroidvania handheld titles forever. It was inevitable that there would be a divergence from that trend eventually. Of course there may be another, but it's not like there NEEDS to be. 6 handheld games in a row were all "Metroidvania" style. Storyline peaked with Aria of Sorrow and has fluctuated since then but never really got better. Gameplay is pretty much equally good in all 3 DS games. Order freshened things up a bit, but it was hardly a revolution.

What the 2D games deserve is a new console title with HD sprites. Not whatever that junk that came out on Arcade was though.

Looks good (there are more scans out there now) and the details sound good.

Cautiously optimistic about this one. LOS was flawed, but made with a lot of heart and was a clear step in the right direction for 3D CV.

[i don't know Castlevania, so I don't know who Trevor Belmont is, apart from the Belmont family being the lead characters]

But the description doesn't necessarily say you play as Trevor Belmont, it says the game involves him and you fight with his version of the cross.

I think it is meant to be the same colour jacket, although I don't know... is that an upgrade feature of the series like Links tunics?

Well it's been confirmed now you do play as Trevor (he's from CV3 though featured in quite a few more) and Simon amonst others, but the point then was that the Combat Cross was something introduced in LoS - Trevor used the Vampire Killer just like Simon and the rest of the Belmonts/Morris's.

The Metroidvania entries feature an extensive item collection that extends to both weapons and armour where you can equip different leg, body and head items in addition to accessories. Unlike the weapons though, these have never had an visual affect before.

It could just be the lighting, and the bad scan quality, but it caught my eye.

They should use the Castlevania Judgment art style :D

I can say, without question, you are definitely in the minority with that one :p

Not a massive follower of the castlevania series(sorry Fused), though I played and loved the DS ones(think it was DoS and PoR?). Might have played some of OoE but the change in ability/spell system bugged me a bit. Anyhow, would be nice if it stuck to those and just properly crisped up like, but I guess I'll keep this in mind if the gameplay's good...