NEurope
Hero-of-Time

3DS Firmware Update - Includes Folders

From the Nintendo Direct presentation.

A 3DS firmware update is coming soon.

This will add folder functionality to the home menu. You can store up to 60 items in a single folder. You can also give names to each folder. The first character of the name is shown in the folder's icon.

The firmware will also add support for software version up/patches. Nintendo's first patch will be Mario Kart 7. The patch will fix some shortcut issues with the game. Iwata apologies for causing players inconvenience.

I LOVE this idea. It will be nice to be able to store all my VC games, apps etc in different folders.

Excellent stuff. icon14.gif

Even on the furthest zoom level on my 3DS, I can only just fit every icon on screen. :hehe:

So yeah, it's definitely time for this functionality.

Great that we're getting folders. It'd be nice if we could change the colour of them for quicker identification, though.

Thank GOD! Long overdue! I do wish that you could make an image for your folder though, rather than just plain text, but it's still MUCH appreciated!

One folder for each VC console and game type, thank you very much :D

I do wonder why this warrants its own thread, and

DAMN IKE! THAT BE A LOT O' GAMES!

I do wonder why this warrants its own thread

ITS IMPORTANT! to those with packed homescreens.

DAMN IKE! THAT BE A LOT O' GAMES!

Indeed there's a lot going on there, @Ike do you still watch those trailers? or your not bothered to delete them?

I still watch them occasionally, when the game is out then I'l delete them. Haven't gotten round to deleting the Kid Icarus ones though.

I do wonder why this warrants its own thread,

I guess we might also talk about the other feature introduced with the new firmware here. You know, patches. ;)

Which is long overdue, as Nintendo should've realized a lot earlier.

Edit: I really wonder how they're going about patching games all of a sudden. Is this some dirty hack they're doing or were games actually prepared to be patched before?

Hopefully they'll integrate them well. I'm not expecting automatic download "overnight" out of the box. Seeing as they've touted the ability to push updates to 3DS via spotpass though, I'd hope they're going to do this with patches eventually.

Edited by Burny

Damn Ike, thats a lot of content there.

And this is well overdue as well, not that i have enough apps to warrent a folder. It's just nice knowing it's there.

There is more to this update, right? As great as folders are, I thought Iwata promised a webstore, better social integration? No mention of this though.

There is more to this update, right? As great as folders are, I thought Iwata promised a webstore, better social integration? No mention of this though.

No mention means it's not included / won't launch alongside the update. Iwata never promised to do anything like that in the next update. It was mentioned during one of the recent investor briefings.

The web store/smartphone app wouldn't need to necessarily come as part of a 3DS update; after all, the whole point is that it's separate from the 3DS!

Just what I need to organise the clutter of my eighteen homescreen icons. :indeed:

If they would let us bin the Health & Safety Information one I'd rejoice! :heh:

I second that, maybe the next update?

I've moved that one to the very furthest slot on the right of my 3DS menu.

Out of sight, out of mind. :D

Looking forward to creating some folders tomorrow. :heh:

I wish we were getting the MK7 patch now as well though, rather than mid-May. :hmm: I just can't wait to play some revenge races against oblivious Wuhu Mountain Loop cheaters. :hehe:

I've moved that one to the very furthest slot on the right of my 3DS menu.

Out of sight, out of mind. :D

Looking forward to creating some folders tomorrow. :heh:

I wish we were getting the MK7 patch now as well though, rather than mid-May. :hmm: I just can't wait to play some revenge races against oblivious Wuhu Mountain Loop cheaters. :hehe:

Like @welshgamer :P

I hope there's more to it too. It's good and all, but is it really worth pushing the update just for that?! Surely we could wait for the next proper one!

The update is live. It's lovely to finally have an organised home screen. Shame you can't change the colour of the folders.

The eShop has also had a slight update, it's got a slightly new layout.

Folders?

3ds_screen_1.jpg

3ds_screen_2.jpg

Thank you Iwatas!

What are those games next to your Gameboy games?

Unless my broadband is playing up this seems a pretty beefy download.

Aside from the addition of folders, there is very little else to look forward to. I have identified:

• Less lag on the Home screen; its still there but less noticeable as you scroll
  • Dual scroll menu in eShop

I'm not convinced its really worth having such a high profile announcement for this update.

What are those games next to your Gameboy games?

My DSiWare titles (I'm assuming that's what you meant, I have GB games scattered all over my menu :P):

Pictobits

Dragon Quest: Wars

Mario Calculator

Mario Clock (Yes, I bought them. The clock amuses me.)

Wario Ware: Snapped!

Aura-Aura Climber

Birds & Bombs

PhotoDojo

Pyro

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again

Dr Mario

Bomberman

Earthworm Jim

After the GB games are the E3 videos I have left then the 10 ambassador NES titles.

I'm not convinced its really worth having such a high profile announcement for this update.

I wouldn't have said it was a high profile announcement. Besides, patching is pretty big, I thought a lot of people wanted that.

Patching is most definitely important, btw how's your homescreen looking Ike? I've cut the Downloadables into 5 Folders.

GB/GBC.

NES.

Advance GBA.

SEGA GG.

Demo's & Trailers.

Liking the eShop a bit better too, definitely beats having everything in one line.

The eShop update was unexpected and much appreciated. It really needed those categories present at all times. One minor gripe though, the eShop doesn't save your filter settings for the bottom 4 categories (it always defaults to Most Popular) and the eShop STILL isn't fully controllable with d-pad and buttons only (it's a bit clunky to have to switch between touch and buttons if you can't be bothered to get the stylus out)

Also, glad to see they took my advice and have finally moved the search option to the top of the screen. It's really funny going to other sites and seeing people discovering the search option for the first time :laughing:

The web browser also got a slight update too (from version 1.7455 to version 1.7498) Seems a bit faster when loading 3D pictures, but I cant see anything else different.

While it's nice having folders at last, am I the only one who feels that their Home screen is a bit empty now? I kinda miss the hustle and bustle of that messy Home screen :(

Also, it's a bit of a shame that you can't change the folder colour or make your own icon for it; feels a bit too functional and not very Nintendo like. Oh well, I guess they've gotta save something for future updates!

Edited by Dcubed