NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Last Story Official Topic

Clearly our RPG tastes do differ. :D

Boring was probably the wrong word for Xenoblade. I think it just got too big for it's own good, kinda like the Fallout/Oblivion series. I don't really care for MASSIVE worlds that take ages to travel around. I much prefer a more streamlined experience, which is probably why I love FFXIII and it's sequel so much.

Boring was probably the wrong word for Xenoblade. I think it just got too big for it's own good, kinda like the Fallout/Oblivion series. I don't really care for MASSIVE worlds that take ages to travel around. I much prefer a more streamlined experience, which is probably why I love FFXIII and it's sequel so much.

Hah, yeah I do get what you mean. Xenoblade is HUUUUGE!!! And I never complete Elder Scrolls games 100%... I do love that vastness though... a little but like Pulse in FF XIII... when you first land there it's like... WOW! Finally!!! but too little too late... I am the kind of gamer that loves to just oggle at the landscapes and Xenoblade was a treat for my eyes nearly all the way through... but yeah big worlds can sometimes be a detrement... if thats the right word lol

Fallout 3 was one of the single most impressive gaming experiences ever created, I loved every moment of it. If I thought Xenoblade was anything like Fallout 3 I'd have got it day of release!

OK one thing I REALLY dislike about Xenoblade? The Endgame... it's overly long winded, you get Boss after Boss thrown at you... which is FINE if it's fun, but it rarely is... I mean it's just a funk load or running around, then boss after boss after boss and every so often you hit a wall of a boss that you CANNOT best any other way than just mindless grinding... I thought I had beaten the last of those types of bosses... I thought wrong... I really wanted this done before Last Story, but seems that's impossible... not spending hours grinding just to beat a cheap boss...

Haha lucky so and so.

So... how does it stack up to Xenoblade?

or other RPG's recently released on any console??

One thing it does share with xenoblade is very good music over the intro screen. Only played for ten minutes but combat seems very intestine too.

Loving the uk voice acting as well.

One thing it does share with xenoblade is very good music over the intro screen. Only played for ten minutes but combat seems very intestine too.

The combat does start out pretty basic, but once you start getting into boss fights things start to become alot more tactical.

The combat does start out pretty basic, but once you start getting into boss fights things start to become alot more tactical.

I meant to say I liked it already with the spells and weak spots. Intestines came from the iPad autocorrect. :laughing::laughing:

I hate games where the battle system is intestine... ;)

Yes. It can be a bit annoying trying to not use the suggestions tho. ....Must do what Steve wants....

Mine seems to know xenoblade though, so it must expand its vocabulary.

I recently played Final Fantasy XIII-2, which was fantastic.

Does it differ much from XIII? Since it's once boring linearity became missed when it dumped you in a massive field filled with rock-fucking-solid monsters.

Does it differ much from XIII? Since it's once boring linearity became missed when it dumped you in a massive field filled with rock-fucking-solid monsters.

Don't worry, it's nothing like FFXIII, which will probably please most people. :)

I first thought the auto combat was going to piss me off (my first thoughts were "How the fuck do I attack!? I just attacked someone, how did I do that?" [This was before the tutorial appeared]) because I love a good battle in these sort of games, running up to a horde of monsters and pressing the button to unleash a massive sword which will tear arsehole from limb. But it's given me chance to refine defence/especially evasion. Killing the first Reptid "boss" was sweet since I didn't have to bash the attack button much.

Goddammit that bridge bit was annoying. It's highlighted how SHIT the ally AI is, I hope this doesn't continue.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Just had an hour and a half playing it, seems all right.

The music is good, most of the casting is good (not enough for me to curse the game for not having a Japanese audio track of course) and the scenery is pretty good despite most of it being the mix of greys and brown that this generation has been full of heh. I'm very curious as to how much they stuck with the source material for the dialogue though as it's a little too cheesy and seems to have made itself very very British. INEXPLICABLE ALCOHOL REFERENCE FROM NO WHERE!

The battle system will take some getting used to, but I think its a good idea that just tilting the analog stick towards an enemy will attack it, it saves a button and chances are if you're charging in towards it, you want to attack it any way heh. Although I wasn't fond of the fact you can't move and aim with the cross bow at the same time, it's probably been done like that to balance the power of it. It would have appealed to a new audience if they had allowed you to move and aim but never mind.

On the topic of controls, every thing in the battle seems to work fine. When you're walking around in general and adjust the camera in tight spaces, things get a little annoying. Because there is no attack button, you'll probably find the button most used whilst playing the game will be 'L' to reset the camera angle to behind the character. Although I understand why you can't move and aim with the cross bow, I do not understand why you can't do so in seek mode when you're not in battle. You get told that using seek mode is a good idea to find items and stuff whilst browsing the town but it just seems to drag out the process. I wouldn't mind if there were other ways to find items but I haven't seen a single chest or container so I'm starting to get worried.

Saving tutorials is a welcome feature. I'm glad RPG's these days are allowing you to check back on stuff at any time, especially when the system they use isn't one a lot of people will be adjusted to.

Aside from those few niggles and the fact the mini map seems far too basic, it seems and plays all right. Encountering the niggles early on helps you keep in mind the limitations so hopefully I can get used to that. Syrenne's voice though? I think getting used to that is going to take some work.

I found Xenoblade boring. Well not boring per say, I got bored of it, I should say. It was too big, I never did a single sidequest because there were way too many and things just never seemed to explain themselves fully. Just too much in it, was too daunting. And I just stopped caring.

I can only play 1 hour of gaming a day if that. And games like Xenoblade were too slow.

I like a tighter, more focused game. But I hate things like Skyrim and stuff. They all just seem too vague for me.

Would I enjoy Last Story?

Edited by Hamishmash

P2240534.jpg

Just showing off my goodies that I got from MCM Expo the other week :)

Still haven't had a chance to play the game yet though... I wont start it until I crack that final couple of fights in Xenoblade....

OMG LOL! The multiplayer lets you select any piece of dialogue from the game as a message (and I do mean ANY piece of dialogue!) You can even have your character speak someone else's dialogue!

The amount of hilarious exchanges this will cause! :laughing:

I have Zael's opening dialogue as "mmmm, What a lovely smell". Yep, I'm gonna enjoy this :D

Yeah, and it's online :p

Only played 40 minutes so far so I can't really comment. I'll probably continue tomorrow.

Lovely picture! Did you buy it there/win it?

I got that picture too. But all I had to do was invert the game cover.

Goddammit that bridge bit was annoying. It's highlighted how SHIT the ally AI is, I hope this doesn't continue.

Did this not happen to anyone else? I had the bloke complaining that if I didn't use Gathering he couldn't cast a spell, I use Gathering and I can't see him anywhere at all. The other bloke was doing that "whooa!" motion when you're about to fall off something over and over, I kid you not, he righted himself then started wobbling again. The nice drunken girl with the banging tits was fending them off whilst I kept trying to throw bombs at the snipers and having no luck.

Eventually I resorted to using the crossbow to knock off the two that you could see (this took around 5 minutes) . When the casting snipers appeared I got pissed off and thought something was wrong so went back to an earlier save. With eyepatch kid actually in view it all took less than a minute.

As in a co-op story?! Can you play it split screen?

No, it's just battles as far as I know. Like if you played online on Tekken or 007 or whatever. It's not local according to the cover.

Haha Wow, either you're very hard to please or we obviously don't have the same taste in games... Xenoblade BORING? Ouch.

That's fine though, would be a lot less interesting if everything worked for everybody. I personally think XIII and it's sequel are souless and horrible to play and experience... weirdly the sequel DID perk things up for me a bit but I still couldn't care less for the characters of that world... roll on Final Fantasy 15.

I have to say I have always been cautiously optimistic about The Last Story... purely because Blue Dragon really let me down... it looks fantastic, it was really off the wall but my god that game slumped quickly and bored the hell out of me... Lost Odyssey I absolutely loved so who knows, lets hope the best parts of both form a whole... lol

Time will tell!

Completely agree. Final Fantasy XIII is a disgrace when compared to previous FF games, epitomising the transition from legendary gaming to flash, all style no substance, empty gameplay.

Xenoblade on the other hand was great fun I thought. Should have this soon, sounds like it could be good.