Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2012

Retro_Link

You owe us all!

Also for those photos Gaggle posted earlier: who goes to bed with their hair still perfect? That's gotta be a whole lot of hairspray doing that.

Yeah I can confirm that lots of hairspray is necessary for that look!

It makes your hair weather resistant, you see. ;)

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Eddie Jordan is saying Hamilton is going to be on his way to Mercedes next season to fill the seat that Schumacher will leave empty when he retires at the end of this season. He's pretty much basing this on what Bernie said about Schumacher at the weekend there.

Thoughts everyone?

Given some of Hamilton's comments and general conduct as of late, I think he's set to go elsewhere next season. Doesn't seem all too happy at Mclaren. Well, I'm not sure if it's just Mclaren he's unhappy with or if he's just not enjoying the racing. Seems to be a bit of the latter cropping up with him.

Nonetheless, it's certainly an interesting idea from Eddie and if true, leaves a big seat empty (2 if Ferrari do indeed drop Massa which I think we all see as inevitable now). Just who'd Mclaren be willing to take on to fill that second seat, or who would be willing to essentially become a second driver behind Button.

It's a really interesting one! Breaking it down...

- I think it's fair to say this isn't the first time Lewis has been linked with Mercedes... and with it's past and present connections with McLaren it's always seemed like a team that Lewis could go to.

- I don't know whether Bernie was just trying to stir things up on Sunday; but yeah he effectively said in his interview with Eddie Jordan that Michael was retiring at the end of the year... which I think has been the largest trigger this story.

- Lewis' tweeting of McLarens technical data on Saturday night is likely to have landed him in much greater trouble than has been let on and in spite of what everyone says. I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Dennis has gone mental at Lewis.

- I'm not sure what state Lewis is in this year. Last year was a blip in form, coupled with a very emotional/defensive Lewis in interviews. That seemed to have gone this year, but tweeting that data, along with the handwritten comments on it pointing out exactly why Jenson had been better than him... it's almost like he was trying to get kicked out or something! I don't understand why he's letting Jenson get to him so much.

- Didn't Lewis say before the summer break that he'd like to get his contract sorted out during it?

Anyway, something seems to be stalling it... it can't be taking this long to decide whether Lewis can keep his trophies or not, so maybe there is a more too it... and now not helped by his tweeting!

- I'd say the story was quite likely if it wasn't for the fact that Mercedes seem to be going absolutely no where!... and would seemingly just be a money move? Therefore he surely should stay at McLaren.

---

Possible replacements...

Di Resta (all British team), Bottas, Kovalienen (they like Finns), Alguersuari... Kimi.

Edited by Retro_Link

Definitely an interesting situation, I can see it happening but it just seems unlikely to me. I really wish he would sort himself out though, there's no way Jenson should be beating him.

In other news, I'm going to be in Japan the weekend of the Japanese Grand Prix and am very very tempted to take a trip down to the race. There aren't many tickets left and the cheapest available is $260 for the weekend. I wish they did just a race day ticket but it seems to be unavailable. Need to investigate further as I'd love to go.

Hmmm, has anyone ever used http://www.gpticketshop.com? It has tickets available and if it's reputable I'm going to buy some!

http://www.japan-grand-prix.com/en/2160-japan/ from this I'm thinking either Grandstand G or O - any advice as to which I should go for?

Mercedes will be able to offer him a boatload of money over anything even McLaren can cough up. Chances are they'll be able to offer him much more freedom with personal sponsors as well, which has been the main sticking point in Lewis' negotiations with McLaren. Merc have a good design team so it is strange they haven't punched right to the front yet - if Schumacher goes they may feel a raw talent like Lewis could be the ticket to lead them into the top tier. I'll also be surprised if Lewis doesn't still have a solid line to Norbert Haug from his pre-Silver Arrow seasons. If McLaren are shaking themselves around, revving up for even bigger and better things, there may be a more stable team Lewis is already well familiar with waiting in the other garage.

I'm going to say a move is eminently possible - if it's a good idea, only time will tell.

Personally, I'm surprised there hasn't been more possible buzz around di Resta for Mercedes already, I was expecting him to be fast tracked straight out of their stable.

Interesting rumour but I really hope Schumacher doesn't retire at the end of this year. He's still got the will the win and certainly is talented enough, I know it :(

Personally I'd like to see Schumacher to replace Massa, Lewis to go to Mercedes and Paul Di Resta go to Mclaren. That said, lewis better hope Merc deliver a race winning car or at best an amazing 2014 engine.

http://www.japan-grand-prix.com/en/2160-japan/ from this I'm thinking either Grandstand G or O - any advice as to which I should go for?

2160.jpg

Grandstand G

Zone1

8228-9198.jpg

Zone3

8225-9199.jpg

Zone4

8226-9200.jpg

Grandstand O

8220-9204.jpg

If you can choose, Grandstand G Zone 4 looks like it's got great views!

Looking at the map I'd also say Grandstand G looks better in terms of seeing cars accelerating under the bridge and slowing down in the distance maybe (though not Zone 1).

Also O doesn't have a screen anywhere near it, where as you might be able to make out the one at G.

Edited by Retro_Link

Sure... Lewis will tweet his secret McLaren data, but he won't tweet to confirm/deny these rumours! :p

I'm SO looking forward to this weekend... I'm sure McLaren and Lewis will just put up a smokescreen, but Eddie Jordan is sure to get it from Martin Whitmarsh and the rest of the paddock on air!! :D

Monza FTW!

---

Also Martine Brundle just tweeted

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1

Biggest challenge for Lewis Hamilton/19 Management crystal ball is who they think will ace new 2014 F1 engines (if not delayed) Game changer

McLaren aren't using their own engines in 2014 are they?... so how does this make any difference?

I can't see Lewis having anything but a Mercedes engine in 2014. He needs to sign a contract this year (and it's not gonna a 1yr contract, other than get out clauses) and I can't see him going anywhere else for 2013!... unless he takes a year off! :p I bet he'd like a 2014 Red Bull seat though!

@Retro, this is really random but is your degree in photography or something? I recall you taking some amazing snaps once...seems like a random question but i'll explain the important of it in due time....
What was this about man? Edited by Retro_Link

1 ticket for Grandstand G Zone 4 has been purchased. So excited. I've never managed to go to a race before so it should be quite the adventure.

The sounds is unreal :) Hope you have a great time when you're there.

And retro I'll let you know soon enough, just need to sort some things out for now..

Lee having a quick interview with Lewis: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19511321

... I dunno, he sounds kinda nervy/emotional talking about it, I think he might be going.

He sounds nervy & emotional about everything though.

"So Lewis, what are you going to have for lunch?"

"Well, uh, I haven't really ordered yet, but I am in at the advanced stage of checking the menu, all I can say is, I'm definitely looking at the melon starter."

If he's in "advanced negotiations" with McLaren I'm thinking his reps are using Mercedes as leverage.

He sounds nervy & emotional about everything though.
Yeah that's true he does often sound that way in general, but I don't know...

... here's him talking to Ted... http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/video/12870/8058165

To me he just sounds very panicy around the subject... and then the way he answered the next question about 2014 too. Where he's going to be driving in 2014 is something that he really needs to be thinking about, unlike the answer he gave.

"advanced negotiations with McLaren" means nothing really; he could be in the same position with Mercedes for all we know. He's simple sticking to the script he's been given at this point.

@gaggle64 are you a Lewis or McLaren man first and foremost?... would your support move with him to Mercedes if he did go?

OK, Monza is going even more obstacle crazy! :p

http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/video/12870/8059006

Schumacher fastest in practice 1....

Excited...

Of the back of the Lewis rumours, we have the rumour of Michael to Ferrari for 2013. Would you like to see him back there for possibly his final year?... or stay on with Ross/Mercedes... and then maybe into a 'Team Role' at Mercedes which is also being mentioned this morning.

@gaggle64 are you a Lewis or McLaren man first and foremost?... would your support move with him to Mercedes if he did go?

Yeah, generally I've always supported the driver over the team, although I do like McLaren and I hope they continue being successful, would love to see them become their own engine manufacturer. All drivers aside, Williams would probably be the focus of my support, through thick and thin.

@gaggle64 are McLaren aiming to use their own engines in 2014 do you know?

As far as I'm aware it seems unlikely they're equipped to build their own engines any time soon, though building their own is assumed to be an eventual goal. The official line is they'll continue using Mercedes for seasons to come, but rumours of talks with Honda and others have been reported previously.

I was a bit disappointed in Stewards' decision to penalise Vettel for Alonso's decision to overtake on the grass, but when you see the replay the amount of extra speed Alonso had was amazing.

Perez did phenomenally today, just a couple more laps and Hamilton would have been seriously worried. Shame about Button and the two Red Bulls as well, it was the car that let them down (though also Webber was partly at fault for his :p).

Lots of overtaking so a really enjoyable race!

Mixed race weekend...

Really pleased Kimi faught like crazy to reach P5 in a Lotus that has been nothing but an average midfielder these last two races. Great to see him sitting in 3rd Place in the WDC, but Lotus need to seriously up their game and hopefully the next set of track will alo be more suited.

Vettel's penalty was harsh IMO. To me it looked like Vettel did exactly the same as Fernando did to him last year; except this time Alonso chose to run that little bit wider; I think he had more room than he chose to take.

Also whilst Perez drove a great race. There's still something not right about a car that can only qualify 12th, but then benefits from being able to choose their tyres whilst the leaders are locked in to theirs. Really either all cars should be allowed to choose, or they all have to start on their qualifying tyres.

It only slightly came through on the TV, but apparently Lewis got a really bad reception from the crowd on the podium... with plenty of booing and racist monkey noises. I was kind of expecting it, but it's really disgusting behaviour and a real shame he's the only driver that has to put up with this.

But anyway... the championship battle is really heating up and Singapore can't come soon enough!

#AllOfTheLights!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!