NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

Went on a Netflix binge last month or so (after barely using it in general for a long time).

Walking Dead season 6

I enjoyed it. It was better than season 5. And that cliffhanger.. being spoiled, I already know how it ends. Not sure if that matters actually. I still makes me want to see season 7, though I'll have to wait a year.

Crazy Ex-girlfriend

I've only seen a few episodes. I don't really follow comedy series, and I probably won't follow this one, but I heard great things about it, and it's a fun show for the occasional watch. Very funny songs.

The Expanse

Originally a sci-fi channel (oh I mean "syfy") series, it was one I was curious about, and when it came to Netflix, I just watched it in one go. Really enjoyed this one. Really love the world they created. I recommend this one to the sci-fi fans. My only fear is that sci-fi won't follow through with the series. There are various books, and more coming out, and season 1 apparently doesn't cover book 1 (got myself slightly spoilered after Googling book 1), so I suspect we're looking at a 10 season series at least.

The 100

Was in the mood for more sci-fi after The Expanse, and this was also new. But haven't really enjoyed it (was kinda expecting it ;)). Will probably finish season 1, and start season 2, but can see myself abandoning this one if it doesn't improve.

Frequency

Yes, heresy! I loved the film, and really wondered why it needed a series (like every other film they're turning into a series these days). Then again, I do like the concept obviously, and the lead actress is hot. This is a series that gets a new episode every week, it's a bit of a relief actually, because the main reason why I rarely actually watch Netflix is that I just can't be bothered to start another 8 season series.

The show itself.. Is mediocre (again, as expected I guess). Was hopeful with the first episode, but it's already clear they're spreading things to thin, with multiple storylines which ultimately don't serve the main storyline (or maybe perhaps it does, but I suspect it won't). Anyway, regardless, I can't stop staring at Peyton List, and maybe the show will improve, the potential is there, so I'll keep watching.

Anyway, go watch The Expanse.

Walking Dead season 6

I enjoyed it. It was better than season 5. And that cliffhanger.. being spoiled, I already know how it ends. Not sure if that matters actually. I still makes me want to see season 7, though I'll have to wait a year.

I remember enjoying the majority of season 6. But I've hated season 7 so far. Everything has been so dull and predictable. Doesn't help that the only character I enjoy watching is Carol.

The Expanse

Originally a sci-fi channel (oh I mean "syfy") series, it was one I was curious about, and when it came to Netflix, I just watched it in one go. Really enjoyed this one. Really love the world they created. I recommend this one to the sci-fi fans. My only fear is that sci-fi won't follow through with the series. There are various books, and more coming out, and season 1 apparently doesn't cover book 1 (got myself slightly spoilered after Googling book 1), so I suspect we're looking at a 10 season series at least.

I tried watching The Expanse when it first came out and couldn't get through the pilot. I re-tried a month or ago and binge watched the whole thing in two days. I'm really looking forward to season 2.

Syfy (ugh) don't have a good track record renewing shows, and if they do they still tend to cancel them around season 5. I would hope Netflix would pick this up if Syfy ditch it.

I also love Shohreh Aghdashloo/Chrisjen Avasarala's voice. It's both soothing and frightening.

Frequency

Yes, heresy! I loved the film, and really wondered why it needed a series (like every other film they're turning into a series these days). Then again, I do like the concept obviously, and the lead actress is hot. This is a series that gets a new episode every week, it's a bit of a relief actually, because the main reason why I rarely actually watch Netflix is that I just can't be bothered to start another 8 season series.

The show itself.. Is mediocre (again, as expected I guess). Was hopeful with the first episode, but it's already clear they're spreading things to thin, with multiple storylines which ultimately don't serve the main storyline (or maybe perhaps it does, but I suspect it won't). Anyway, regardless, I can't stop staring at Peyton List, and maybe the show will improve, the potential is there, so I'll keep watching.

Got half way through the pilot of this and gave up. Found it incredibly boring and could just feel something was not quite right with it. I remember enjoying the film when I first saw that.

Anyone checked out Spectral? Pretty cool action movie with really nice special effects.

Sense8 is getting a Christmas special on 23-12. I can't quickly find an official Netflix source, but it's been reported enough and even tweeted by the cast.

This is looking very interesting, and will be available on Friday:

How are these kids so fucking cool haha..

[tweet]778853607215132672[/tweet]

Can't embed this.

Edit:

Oh and I heard something about a new series being made based on "Altered Carbon", some cyberpunk novels. Never heard of it, but sounds interesting.

Edited by Sméagol

Watched the first 3 episodes of The OA... still don't know what to make of it but it's very intriguing.

The OA was incredibly disappointing. I don't think we get anwsers to anything. The ending didn't really match with expectations, nothing indicating it would lead to that. Basically it just feels like they were making it up as they went along. The show basically hinges on whether she's telling the truth or not. That ambiguity would be mitigated if we could get some character development instead, but most of them don't get any.

It's a shame, I liked the general concept, the cast, and the atmosphere, but I don't want to wait for season 2 for some kind of payoff.

The OA was interesting at best. It was a way for me to spend my lazy Sunday essentially. Overall I'd say I enjoyed it, though I found the start to be painful to stick with. OAs character was just poor to me. It all slightly improved and they attempted to add development to others but I have a feeling their budget was pulled out from them. The weird lengths of the episodes is what makes me think that. I think the show was strongest though during the storytelling. They had a much tighter environment to work within.

The ending had ups and downs but I think was sufficient. The specific point where it all goes pop felt just fine to me. Yeah there is nothing that hints to it and it comes from left field, but sadly that sort of real situation does come as a surprise to most.

I do agree there was little in the way of answers though. Purely set up for more seasons, and likely was always planned that way.

I really enjoyed The OA. And personally I liked the lack of answers/ambiguity. I enjoy stories that ask the audience to think and make up their own minds as to what they think happened.

Sounds interesting, but the trailed hasn't impressed me. Still, may give it a shot.

Anyone seen Dirk Gently? Saw the trailer and really liked the tone of it but I'm not certain it might be worth watching.

Dirk Gently is fun and easy viewing, I liked it a lot. Great break from the norm.

I also thought Travelers was brilliant. Way, way better than that trailer makes it seem. @Sméagol if you didn't try it, you should.

I started The OA but put off by a few peoples' comments on the way the story goes, might leave it....

Edited by Shorty

I'm intrigued by The OA - it sounds interesting but also very much like The 4400 but with just 1. Don't know if that is enough for me, I quite liked the concept of The 4400, the execution was just bad after season 2 or 3.

Dirk Gently is fun and easy viewing, I liked it a lot. Great break from the norm.

I also thought Travelers was brilliant. Way, way better than that trailer makes it seem. @Sméagol if you didn't try it, you should.

I started The OA but put off by a few peoples' comments on the way the story goes, might leave it....

I will eventually. I'll also try Dirk Gently.

I don't have much time to binge much at the moment, so I'm currently watching something on the newly launched Amazon prime video (well, newly launched outside the US). I started a trial subscription to see what the content was, but forgot to cancel it. There's only one thing on it I'm interested in, and that's The man in the high castle. I'm watching that now, and will probably cancel my subscription right after, though I might wait for season 2 for The man in the high castle, since apparently that's not available yet.

I don't know what Amazon was thinking with this launch of its service wolrdwide.. It's terrible. Or at least it's terrible here, I don't know if it's better in the UK. But that's why I don't want to open a separate thread for it.

Edited by Sméagol

What do you find terrible about it?

I hate the apps personally. Especially the way they mix in paid content with included content. Had the same issue with the music service.

I hate the apps personally. Especially the way they mix in paid content with included content. Had the same issue with the music service.

Don't mention the fact you need to switch the subtitles on everytime you go on Amazon Prime. Netflix always have the subtitles on! Also most films available for Prime member don't have subtitles at all. :/

Worst part about the Amazon Prime Video app is you can't ChromeCast from it. Have to plug my laptop in, bit of a pain when all other major apps let you cast.

Also even if you want to rent a film you can't on the app. Wtf?

[..]

[..]

Watched it, and found it pretty mediocre. Some very interesting ideas, but also a constant feeling that they haven't fully though out anything in the show, and a poor pacing. A show of 13 episodes doesn't need fillers, you're doing something wrong. In the middle of the season they achieve something that would be perfect for a season finale, but they end the season with an awful cliffhanger instead.

I'm not sure, but I think Amazon Prime video is better in the UK. They launched the service in a lot of countries which didn't have the video service previously only recently. It's also only the video service, we don't have the actual Amazon Prime service. In fact we barely have a Amazon at all. Dutch Amazon only sells E-books.

Instead, you log in to this site: http://www.primevideo.com

- Content is abysmal. This is my main issue. There was only The man in the high castle that I really wanted to watch, and I've watched that. Liked it so far, but the fuckers haven't even released season 2 yet. It should be available, since it's on the US Amazon Prime. It's obviously not an licensing issue. There are a few "maybe" series, but nothing I'm in the mood for, plus I have too many of those on Netflix already. Things like Mr. Robot, and Transparent, for example.

And if I am not impressed with the library, than this will be worse for other people. People here usually download stuff so they've seen most stuff already. Lots of people here complained about Dutch Netflix's library as well, whereas I was satisfied with that, since I never download stuff.

- Interface. I don't use apps, I just use the site, and although it's clear they've tried to copy Netflix, it's just not as good. I have to manually click the next episode if I don't watch all of the credits, and they list all seasons separately, which is just retarded.

- 2 things I personally don't have issues with, but I hear other Dutch people complain about: severe lack of localization. Most stuff doesn't have Dutch subtitles. And lack of a Dutch payment option. A lot of people here (apparently) don't have a credit card.

This all shows it was a rushed launch, and I can't see this do anything but fail.

Finally sat down and watched the rest of Stranger Things over the last week or so. I'd let my Netflix sub slide and when I renewed it the other week, I decided it was time to watch beyond the first episode. I'd enjoyed that opening episode but the missus wasn't too keen and we tend to be watching stuff at the same time so I put it on hold for other things but with her working nightshift, I had a couple of days to finish it.

And I have to say, I loved it. I really enjoyed the story, even if it is apeing a lot of 80's movies and such I still thought it was great and it definitely had me hooked for the 'just one more episode' mentality. Gutted that it's over now as I've had the soundtrack playing a couple of times over the last week (absolutely amazing soundtrack) and it's stuck in my head. I know there's another season coming and as excited I am to see what happens next with how they left it after that first season, I'm some what sceptical how it'll all play out. I'm going cautiously optimistic but there's this nagging feeling that it just won't feel as fresh or good a second time around.

Also been watching through Arrested Development. Watched the first season years ago now but never got round to any of the others so I've been watching a couple of episodes here and there, around Stranger Things, and just recently started season 4. Have to say that I loved the second season and most of the third but the story was beginning to get repetitive with the constant George Snr./Oscar switching and trying to stop Buster going to the Army thing. I thought that was beginning to become a bit of a crutch to be honest and it didn't really allow for much development of what was going on. It still produced some great moments ("Loose Seal!" - "I Don't care about Lucille!" :laughing:).

The same can't be said for the 4th season so far. I think the best bit has been Tobias getting hooked on methadone but that's it. I've still half of it to go so maybe it'll improve but the segmented nature of it has hurt the framework of the show quite a bit. At least, from the sounds of it, that any 5th season would hope to negate this and go back to the original structure.

Also watched the new series of Black Mirror and really enjoyed that. I've not watched it before so I'll need to go back and see how season 1 and 2 compare but I really enjoyed most of the series. Wasn't keen on Shut Up and Dance as I'd watched something a few months back with a similar premise (girl whose computer is hacked as she's IMing and is made to shun friends, family and such, really good watch but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. Sure it was on Channel 4 or 5.) but really liked the San Junipeiro (not sure if I've got that right) episode, though that could have done with not giving the happy ending. I think it lost a bit of the emotional hit but giving the viewer what they wanted there and should've left it as the woman was about to die, so you didn't see what she chose. I know that might not have sat well with others but to me, that would have been a more fitting ending for how that episode panned out.

Other than that, I've given a few other things a go. Watched the first episodes of Dirk Gently, Travelers and A Series of Unfortunate Events, the latter of which I really liked, as did the missus who is a big fan of the books but didn't enjoy the Jim Carrey movie. Not sold so far on the other two, Dirk Gently is very weird, and Travelers didn't really connect off of the bat. I'm still going to go through them and hopefully they'll sit better after a few episodes.

Watched the first half of Judd Apatow's Love. Not sure what I think off it. On one hand I like the kinda different approach to it, the characters are pretty interesting and the way of telling the story is fairly original. On the other hand I can't help but think it's trying too hard with it's dialogue to be different. Like it's meant to be a realistic portrayal of how people act, yet I wonder do people actually act like these characters?

Anyway, gonna keep watching for until the end.

From the director of The one I love.

Trailer is a bit too vague for my liking, so here's the premise:

Scientists discovered proof of heaven, and millions of people simply commit suicide in order to get there quicker. That's the situation when Jason Segel's and Rooney Mara's characters in the trailer fall in love.

Coming straight to Netflix on 31-03-2017 apparently.

So.. this seems to be getting panned, but I personally loved it. A little bit of an Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind vibe.

So is Iron Fist worth watching?

I started off thinking "at least it's better than Luke Cage" but ultimately just stopped watching around ep 6, it's just really not very gripping at all, you don't find yourself caring about any characters.

I really want to watch the Defenders because I like the DD and JJ characters, but haven't watched LC and IF. I wonder if I'll be too disadvantaged...