NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
chairdriver

Inspiring Speeches

I watched this video and was so done in that I felt the need to share it with people. I couldn't pick out a single bit to quote to draw people in, because that would emphasise a singular part, when really, the whole thing should be experienced at once. While it starts out relatively specific to LGBTQ politics, I think it's really important for everyone to hear (one of the comments is "from a straight male, that was pretty awesome").

The very last sentence is such a critical hit.

The one Bill Pullman did during Independence Day I found very inspiring.

Always gives me a stunning tingling feeling.

All the It Gets Better stuff is good, but this is the best speech I've heard for a long time.

Edited by Goafer

Growing up in a repressive muslim environment, and subsequently deserting that barren, uninspiring ideology in my teenage years, Christopher Hitchens was an endless source of inspiration for me. It was like I had the smartest man in the world, in my corner, and I could take on anything;

Growing up in a repressive muslim environment, and subsequently deserting that barren, uninspiring ideology in my teenage years, Christopher Hitchens was an endless source of inspiration for me. It was like I had the smartest man in the world, in my corner, and I could take on anything;

I just came in here to post some Hitchens, then saw you had the last post :heh: Was more or less going to post from that exact debate as well. Grand stuff.

Stephen Fry's piece at this debate was also very powerful.

Though it was hardly fair to pit these two against Anne Widdicombe.

Some very good speeches in this awesome, inspiring, uplifting thread.

I'm divided by Gervais, I don't worship the ground he walks on, but this is beautifully written and performed.

All the It Gets Better stuff is good, but this is the best speech I've heard for a long time.

<3

I pretty much blubbered when he started crying. :weep:

Man, that guy is so awesome. He should probably have his own theme tune or something!

I haven't seen it but I love this speech from the recent Rocky movie. It's simple but it makes sense and Stallone really looks like he's throwing himself into it.

My favourite speech of recent times though has to be Obama's "A More Perfect Union" speech, arguably the defining moment of his campaign. Just as a scandal around his old preacher threatened to besmirch him he stepped right up and blew everyone away with this - perfect in timing, theme and delivery. It's 37 minutes long and I still find every second spell binding.

I haven't seen it but I love this speech from the recent Rocky movie. It's simple but it makes sense and Stallone really looks like he's throwing himself into it.

On the subject of that, this video pops up on facebooks from time to time. Whilst not actually an inspirational speech in itself, it's takes from I think Rocky, Coach Carter, and Muhammad Ali.

Actually whilst I'm being slightly off kilter, I'm going to post The Sunscreen Song. Apparently written originally by a journalist with the intention of being some sort of speech for graduation, I think it should be allowed to fit the theme? Unforunately it's only available videowise from what I can find in Luhrmann's song form, but meh.

Original writing, I think - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-schmich-sunscreen-column,0,4054576.column

Edited by Rummy

You're an apostate? How did your family react?

You're an apostate? How did your family react?

I haven't told them directly for a few reasons;

1. I love my family and the only thing it would do is upset them and create a fissure between us.

2. I'm trying to demonstrate to them how fucking anachronistic an unlivable an ideology Islam is. That would not work if I simply came out as a non-muslim.

3. I have no balls.

Oh dear. Well, it's your decision.

I remember when I told me parents:

"Dad, Wicked Sepmother: I'm totally gay for Shamanism."

"WHAT?! But you can never go to church again!"

"LOLLERSNAKES! Oh no!"

Seen loads and this is my favourite inspiring speech ever. (Over 1 hour though)

"quicker" (10 min) version:

The girl who silenced the world:

Simon Sinek has changed my world. (His Golden Circle (in other video's) has changed my life as well).

Sign in to follow this