NEurope
flameboy

The Great Blackberry Crumble

So yeah before people say why do you own a blackberry. Me and girlfriend are doing the long distance thing England->Canada she had a blackberry already and is tied into a 3 year contract that would have cost stupid amount of money to get out of (phone contracts not legilislated remotely over there like here so all kinds of dumb add on charges etc...)

Anyway so BBM's gone down etc... so had no real way of contact whilst at work and college....been a mare.

One thing that annoys me most is why the hell doesn't my web browser work? I pay Orange for internet and a seperate charge for BIS which I thought covered BBM, Email servers and social networking apps....but turns out no I only pay Orange for data not the actual internet access....

It's like being in the dark ages with a phone that only texts and calls....how far we've come lol

HA! The funniest thing is is that I was actually thinking of getting a Blackberry today but instead, decided on getting the Samsung Tocco instead! :p

I haven't bought it yet but I will do soon...

Your getting a Tocco, I would get a Blackberry, Seriously. Tocco's are awful things.

Flameboy if you and your girlfreind ever want to change phones, then you should consider to get whatsapp, and you don't have to pay extra for a service like bis, just uses your standard interent. It's also cross platform.

Edited by James

It's like being in the dark ages with a phone that only texts and calls....how far we've come lol

I've never owned a phone that did more than text and call (and take pictures) before... : peace:

Too bad about the outage though, sounds like a pain. Is there any way she borrow a temporary phone/use an old one until BBM goes back up?

You mean the bullshit "going down" they demand you to forward to all your contact list has actually happened?

I don't use BBM much anyway.

Flameboy if you and your girlfreind ever want to change phones, then you should consider to get whatsapp, and you don't have to pay extra for a service like bis, just uses your standard interent. It's also cross platform.

Me and my fella use Whatsapp (although probably ill change to iMessenger when it's out) and it's been a godsend. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Your internet doesn't work through Orange because all data goes through Blackberry's servers first to secure it.

I think Blackberry phones are a long-overdue fad. Pretty much the only thing the phones had going for them was Blackberry Messenger, and even that became obsolete with the rise of Whatsapp and the upcoming iMessenger for iPhone. RIM can't compete with the sort of stuff Apple provides; especially when you consider the type of advantage Apple's iOS devices have with the infinite range of apps in the App Store.

Can't you change your contract for some arbitrary fee? I have no idea how your contracts work because the service providers in my country don't really focus on contracts as much as they do with prepaid lines, so changing the terms of your contract or migrating to another provider is a snap.

That would explain why my Blackberry refused to search google this morning. No matter, it'll be on the scrap heap come Friday.

Your getting a Tocco, I would get a Blackberry, Seriously. Tocco's are awful things.

her internet charges are through the roof.

I've never owned a phone that did more than text and call (and take pictures) before... : peace:

Too bad about the outage though, sounds like a pain. Is there any way she borrow a temporary phone/use an old one until BBM goes back up?

Me and my fella use Whatsapp (although probably ill change to iMessenger when it's out) and it's been a godsend. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Your internet doesn't work through Orange because all data goes through Blackberry's servers first to secure it.

I never knew that....thought it was just emails and bbm that did.

I think Blackberry phones are a long-overdue fad. Pretty much the only thing the phones had going for them was Blackberry Messenger, and even that became obsolete with the rise of Whatsapp and the upcoming iMessenger for iPhone. RIM can't compete with the sort of stuff Apple provides; especially when you consider the type of advantage Apple's iOS devices have with the infinite range of apps in the App Store.

Can't you change your contract for some arbitrary fee? I have no idea how your contracts work because the service providers in my country don't really focus on contracts as much as they do with prepaid lines, so changing the terms of your contract or migrating to another provider is a snap.

The arbitrary fee in canada was like $600 minimum. Bur yah everyone is totally right blackberry are dead...cannot wait to get back to having a proper smartphone when I move there my blackberry was very much a downgrade from my last phone.

Unfortunately its bringing out the incessant iPhone fans. "OH LOOK BBM IS DOWN LOLZERCOPTER!"

HA! The funniest thing is is that I was actually thinking of getting a Blackberry today but instead, decided on getting the Samsung Tocco instead! :p

Toccos are soooooon shit.

I have a Samsung Tocco Lite and I kinda hate it :hmm:

There aren't really any phones out there at the minute that I like the look of, something that has bothered me for a several years now :indeed:, but I've been considering a Blackberry Curve in recent weeks for some reason. The camera would be the only real step down, I think..

Also in a long distance relationship (Australia), nearly died earlier when I couldn't use whatsapp! Was turning on and off my phone constantly and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Strangely though my browser worked? Everything seems to be working now anyway.

I actually love my Curve, it's kind of a piece of sh!t but I've had it for over a year now and get emails, Facebook, BBM etc. on it and I think I've become a bit emotionally attached haha.

@flameboy what part of Canada is your girlfriend in? I lived there for a year (until May this year) and had a two year contract, it was super easy to get out of for me, just cost like $20 or something. I was in Quebec though and they're very different in some laws (especially for some regulations and stuff) than the rest of Canada.

I actually love my Curve..

Which one have you got?

I'm on Pay & Go with O2 where £10 gives me unlimited texts and I still have the £10 credit to use for other things. I've been thinking of getting a Blackberry Curve 8520 recently and maybe getting the Blackberry Bolt-On for £5 to get me 500MB of internet and some free Blackberry features (whatever they may be :indeed:) so presumably I'd have my unlimited texts, all that stuff and still my £5 credit left over?

It sounds like a good deal to me for £10 a month with no contract holding me down.. or am I missing something..? I'm not really feeling this touch screen obsession that everyone seems to have :heh:

Which one have you got?

I'm on Pay & Go with O2 where £10 gives me unlimited texts and I still have the £10 credit to use for other things. I've been thinking of getting a Blackberry Curve 8520 recently and maybe getting the Blackberry Bolt-On for £5 to get me 500MB of internet and some free Blackberry features (whatever they may be :indeed:) so presumably I'd have my unlimited texts, all that stuff and still my £5 credit left over?

It sounds like a good deal to me for £10 a month with no contract holding me down.. or am I missing something..? I'm not really feeling this touch screen obsession that everyone seems to have :heh:

I have the 8520. Its fine, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 3G though, just EDGE. It does its job for me though, which is texts/calls, whatsapp, BBM and the odd bit of Facebook.

Yeah that sounds alright. I'm with O2 prepay as well (in the Republic though), and I pay €20 (£17ish?) a month and get free texts, with €10 deducted from that for my data. I get 700MB but don't use anywhere near it.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I just have something in my mind telling me that what I would be getting is surely too good a deal for only £10 a month, but hopefully it all checks out :heh:

The worst thing is knowing that I'd have to slap down £130-£140 on the phone itself so I'd need to be sure that it's the right phone for me :eek:

That would explain why my Blackberry refused to search google this morning. No matter, it'll be on the scrap heap come Friday.

I managed some Google searches last night no problem.

Huh? Why downgrade from something that works across all phones to something that only works on one brand of phones?

Interestingly, BlackBerry may be announcing an Android version of BBM later this month.

I managed some Google searches last night no problem.

WiFi or mobile data?

Thread Starter:

It's only Blackberry Browser which goes through the Blackberry data centres, other browsers/apps should, in theory, work fine.

Huh? Why downgrade from something that works across all phones to something that only works on one brand of phones?

Interestingly, BlackBerry may be announcing an Android version of BBM later this month.

Maybe they both have iPhones? Would make it a lot easier just to use iMessage if they did.

Simply because all my friends are too cheap to pay the tiny amount for WhatsApp and since I'll be moving back to Aus soon, hopefully, the only person I do use WhatsApp for I will be able to use the retro IM service of actually talking to. WhatsApp is great, and really kept my relationship going however regarding messaging people back in the UK when I'm gone is not really something I'm interested in. Maybe die to time difference and locality but I prefer waiting a week or two and then writhing them an email. So essentially once I'm back with before mentioned fella I'll only want to overseas IM parents/siblings maybe in the case of an emergency who all have iPhones and are too cheap to buy whatsapp. Aussie friends I'll just get back my unlimited messaging plan for.

all have iPhones and are too cheap to buy whatsapp.

What?

(but, yes, in your case it does make sense to use iMessenger)

To the Tocco haters, I must add that I'm not really into the phone thing. I wanted something cheap and more current than my phone I have now (and believe me, if y'all are thinking "Why's he having the Tocco then?", let me just say I have a Samsung D900...oh yeah...I really do, haha). The only thing I do need the phone for is that I can change my sound settings to anything I want considering I can't hardly hear my phone at all (plus I wanted a touchscreen one and an app for YouTube!). :p