Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Earthscrapers?

Murr

The Earthscraper, a 65-story-tall skyscraper buried under Mexico City

This here's concept art for BNKR Arquitectura's Earthscraper, an inverted skyscraper shoved deep under the surface of Mexico City. Click on the above image to see a massive cross-section.

Explains the firm of this 300-meter-deep structure:

The Historic Center of Mexico City is in a desperate need of a programmatic make-over. New infrastructure, office, retail and living space is required but no empty plots are available. Federal and local laws prohibit demolishing historic buildings and height regulations limit new structures to eight stories. The Earthscraper is the Skyscrapers antagonist in a historic urban landscape where the latter is condemned and the preservation of the built environment is the paramount ambition. It preserves the iconic presence of the city square and the existing hierarchy of the buildings that surround it. It is an inverted pyramid with a central void to allow all habitable spaces to enjoy natural lighting and ventilation.

To conserve the numerous activities that take place on the city square year round (concerts, political manifestations, open-air exhibitions, cultural gatherings, military parades.), the massive hole is covered with a glass floor that allows the life of the Earthscraper to blend with everything happening on top.

I'm not sure how useful the Earthscraper would be in Mexico City (what with earthquakes and the sinking), but it's definitely a fascinating idea on par with building an arcology in a Siberian diamond mine. Anyone want to commute 220 meters underground to their office?

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/09/earthscraper-co.php#8

xlarge_earthscraper.jpg

xlarge_earthscraper3.jpg

xlarge_earthscraper2.jpg

xlarge_earthscraper5.jpg

Random, all I can think of though is...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOly757iiW3iEHEhS_YXYtQPpI4Y671TuD2jyakLcK18YGFRxc_1fontz2

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Can't imagining it working here though. Fine in Mexico where they are close to the equator and the sun is a lot higher. Not so much at our latitude.

I wonder what the cost of building/maintaining this is compared to the likes of a skyscraper.

I wouldn't like the idea of being on the bottom floor, surely it's certain death if there's a serious fire or something?

But you could say the same thing about being on the top floor of a sky scraper.

The idea of being underground is less fun. Chair and I spoke about this the other day...the stuffiness and heat and urghness is a horrible thought.

Obviously they would try to make it habitable with aircon systems and stuff but I'm in no mood.

It is however, a good idea. Sort of.

What if there's an earthquake?

But you could say the same thing about being on the top floor of a sky scraper.

Helicopter rescue? Obviously not in the case of 9/11 though as the fire was too intense, but that's why a load more people died, because they went up expecting a rescue and not down while they had the chance.

I wouldn't like the idea of being on the bottom floor, surely it's certain death if there's a serious fire or something?

Certain death? Or the greatest Rocky stair scene re-enactment ever?

I love the concept of an earth scraper. Not sure I'd want to live in one, but I think it's a cool building.

Wonder how energy efficient it will be. Heating will probably be less (Due to geothermal heating), but ventilation might balance that out. I'd be interested in seeing the data.

Why?

Because:

New infrastructure, office, retail and living space is required but no empty plots are available. Federal and local laws prohibit demolishing historic buildings and height regulations limit new structures to eight stories.

And it's a pyramid shape so that more light can get in to all levels.