N-Europe

Mario Tennis Open

Hero-of-Time

Actually I've seen this mentioned a few times already.

"Play with friends and other people in your region via Nintendo Network!"

"Take on players everywhere in your region online and try to work your way up the rankings!"

Is this implying that we can't face anyone worldwide?

On the website it said "creating your own group and taking part in an Exhibition match. Use the friend list to add and manage your friends."

you think this is going to be similar to the 'communities' from MK7?

Edited by -Dem0-

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo Power only gave this a 7/10. Seems like a low score when you consider it's a Nintendo only magazine. I wonder what they had to say about it? ::shrug:

Maybe they got their back-sides handed to them by the CPU?

I'd like to know why as well. hmmm.

I'm guessing it's the ridiculous bananas shots and awful touch screen control/tell you what shot to play idea.

#worstfearscomingtrue

By all accounts it's ridiculously easy and thus boring, especially with the cheap touch moves and it telling you what to do (looks at previous comment), the extra modes aren't very good (weird as they look great) and the RPG is a big loss.

Sounds like it will just be a multiplayer game. Let's so how it plays tennis!

Scored 80% in ONM.

While it's as robust a tennis game as any other in the series, Mario Tennis Open feels rather plain. It lacks the clever court design and ridiculous special moves of Mario Power Tennis, which depending on how much of a purist you are, will either mark a gratifying return to the fundamentals or a disappointing loss of spark. Meanwhile the gyroscopic gimmickry falls flat on its motion-sensing face and the use of the touchscreen is too novice-oriented to be of much use past the first couple of tournaments.

Still, firm Nintendo Network support allows for a unabated feel of human opponents and towering leaderboards, leading to strong lasting appeal. Local multiplayer through Download Play should ensure Mario Tennis Open's place on any sociable gamer's shelf too.

This is no-frills Mario Tennis then, as undiluted and distilled as the series has been since the Virtual Boy.

Seems like it's closer to the N64 game than the GCN one. TBH, that's probably a good thing.

I was hoping that we'd see more special modes like Super Mario Tennis though. Power Tennis was very good in that regard, while the N64 title was very bare bones. Sounds like it lies somewhere in between (both in terms of gameplay and content!)

The N64 version was superb.

It was so good that even Waluigi seemed like a good idea.

I concur with Dazzy that if this comes close to the angular N64 iteration, count me in.

Perhaps I'll start playing my 3DS again to get used to the lower thumb cramp it gives me!!

So all the reviews are criticising this version for not having all the things they criticised the gamecube version for adding?

Same thing happened to Mario Golf. They criticized the N64 original for not having enough Mario elements and then criticized the GCN one for having too many.

You just can't please them. Hell, most reviewers didn't even mention that you could turn off the power shots in Mario Power Tennis!

The N64 version was superb.

It was so good that even Waluigi seemed like a good idea.

I concur with Dazzy that if this comes close to the angular N64 iteration, count me in.

Perhaps I'll start playing my 3DS again to get used to the lower thumb cramp it gives me!!

Well you can play by holding the console in one hand (or using one of those stand things) and tapping the screen with your stylus/hand/dialing wand in the other so it shouldn't be too bad for you.

N64 Mario Tennis Intro:

Awesome! :bouncy:

GCN Mario Power Tennis Intro:

Epic! :yay:

3DS Mario Tennis Open Intro:

Riiiiiiiiiiight.... :blank:

Seriously, what the hell have Camelot/Nintendo been doing during the development of this game!? No RPG mode, no animated intro... ::shrug:

Fair play if this had been a launch title, but it's been in development for ages!! :hmm:

N64 Mario Tennis Intro:

Awesome! :bouncy:

GCN Mario Power Tennis Intro:

Epic! :yay:

3DS Mario Tennis Open Intro:

Riiiiiiiiiiight.... :blank:

Seriously, what the hell have Camelot/Nintendo been doing during the development of this game!? No RPG mode, no animated intro... ::shrug:

Fair play if this had been a launch title, but it's been in development for ages!! :hmm:

To be fair, I bet this game didn't get nearly the same level of budget as Power Tennis, but not even to have an N64 style intro is really disappointing :(

If the games good, that's all that matters, but I'm also in the same boat.

I actually thought the 'Intro' was building up to a proper intro. The music made it feel like something was coming up...but it was just the 'Start Screen'