NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Mario Tennis Open

I know the Black Yoshi QR code came from the Asda promotion, but where are the other ones originating from?

If anyone is interested in high score charts for the minigames, click the rank button in my signature. My scores aren't that great, they need some competition. :heh:
I added my scores for Super Mario Tennis.

: peace:

So these chance shots. Can you turn them off or are they there all the time? Still hate th concept of the, also hate the way the look. I dot want stupid coloured stars all I've my screen. It is hand holding at its absolute worst as its not optional. Yeah you don't have to do the shots, but why wouldn't you if it's the best one?

Basically, I WANT to buy the game, I just want convincing it's not dampening!

So these chance shots. Can you turn them off or are they there all the time? Still hate th concept of the, also hate the way the look. I dot want stupid coloured stars all I've my screen. It is hand holding at its absolute worst as its not optional. Yeah you don't have to do the shots, but why wouldn't you if it's the best one?

Unless you are planning on playing multiplayer loads then I would wait till the price drops. I've had it since Wednesday and it's not that great to be honest.

The single player is very easy, even at the later stages. There are lots of things to unlock but once unlocked they need to be bought. You need to get coins but they can only be gained by playing the minigames and not the multiplayer, single player or online.

To be honest the game is fun but it feels like so much more could have be done and at the end of the day it feels a little bare bones.

I added my scores for Super Mario Tennis.

: peace:

Nice scores, you've set the bar really high! Or should that be the net? :grin:

Chance shots are not really overpowered and aren't always the best option to choose at the time. They are also quite easily predictable (using a different shot than the chance one is also a good way to throw someone off!) and a chance shot used against you can be countered by the opposite type of shot upon receiving.

I was worried about them too, but I actually quite like them. They're not too powerful and there's quite a bit of nuance in their use! The chance lob shot is a bit overpowered in singles compared to the other shots, but it's not impossible to counter.

byoshi.jpg

Black yoshi

Do you need the game to scan it, or do you just use the Mii Maker?

You have to scan through the game. at the File select screen hold UP on the Dpad and the Start button together.

I just scanned a QR code from the Nintendo (uk) website. It gives you the Yoshi costume.

QR Code.

home-qrcode.jpg

Spent a bit more time with this game now - particularly last night and about an hour and a half this morning.

Starting to get a little repetitive already for me. :hmm:

Also, I know some have said they don't mind the chance shots, but for me I'm finding them just plain annoying.

Going through the tournaments the computer character just uses them more and more.

I have just been wiped off court by Bowser because every chance shot he got (which was virtually every time my ball landed on his side of the court) BOOM - chance shot used. And even trying to counter it did sod all. Got to the point where I just wasn't bothered. In tennis games I love having a tight set or match and being able to pull it out the bag. With this I just wanted the fucking thing to be over already.

Also, there is no easy way to win points in this. You can't construct a rally to put yourself in a winning position (or at least I can't). You have to rely on the chance shots whether that be utilising them with what they are there for, or playing a different shot off it to throw the opponent off.

The only time you can win a point without them is in the first and second cups when the CPU character is virtually just standing there for you to hit the balls past!

One more rant - there is virtually no point to the lob in this game. You lob someone and they get a star chance shot on their side of the court to smash away a winner. Hmm - pointless.

I am feeling a little disappointed so far. The game started off ok for me and I was having some fun, but a few hours in and my want to play is dwindling slightly. Which is annoying as I like that this game has a lot to unlock. That normally makes me wanna get everything I can but with this I just can't be bothered having to play through an annoying singles campaign to be able to do it all.

:(

I know what you mean. I'm at the final of the Ice Flower cup now and the CPU is ridiculous. Basically I'm just hoping for purple or red chance shots all the time, otherwise I'm just there endlessly struggling to return their chance shots. Any tactics I would've used in previous Mario Tennis games don't seem to apply here.

Well... niggles aside I still think the game is worth buying for the Super Mario Bros mini-game alone.

:D

Well... niggles aside I still think the game is worth buying for the Super Mario Bros mini-game alone.

:D

Haven't tried that yet. It may be the games saving grace ;)

Spent a bit more time with this game now - particularly last night and about an hour and a half this morning.

Starting to get a little repetitive already for me. :hmm:

Also, I know some have said they don't mind the chance shots, but for me I'm finding them just plain annoying.

Going through the tournaments the computer character just uses them more and more.

I have just been wiped off court by Bowser because every chance shot he got (which was virtually every time my ball landed on his side of the court) BOOM - chance shot used. And even trying to counter it did sod all. Got to the point where I just wasn't bothered. In tennis games I love having a tight set or match and being able to pull it out the bag. With this I just wanted the fucking thing to be over already.

Also, there is no easy way to win points in this. You can't construct a rally to put yourself in a winning position (or at least I can't). You have to rely on the chance shots whether that be utilising them with what they are there for, or playing a different shot off it to throw the opponent off.

The only time you can win a point without them is in the first and second cups when the CPU character is virtually just standing there for you to hit the balls past!

One more rant - there is virtually no point to the lob in this game. You lob someone and they get a star chance shot on their side of the court to smash away a winner. Hmm - pointless.

I am feeling a little disappointed so far. The game started off ok for me and I was having some fun, but a few hours in and my want to play is dwindling slightly. Which is annoying as I like that this game has a lot to unlock. That normally makes me wanna get everything I can but with this I just can't be bothered having to play through an annoying singles campaign to be able to do it all.

:(

Chance shots = game breaker!

Not gonna buy even if I saw it reduced.

More time spent with the game.

Really going off this the more I play.

Tedious, repetitive, annoying, makes me want to throw my 3ds at the wall on numerous occasions.

Disappointing.

More time spent with the game.

Really going off this the more I play.

Tedious, repetitive, annoying, makes me want to throw my 3ds at the wall on numerous occasions.

Disappointing.

Same here. I do enjoy the minigames, but since completing Championship mode, every time I switch this on I get bored after 10 minutes of play. Going to trade it in Tuesday for some eShop credit methinks.

Yeah same. Think I am going to trade this in and buy something else.

This is an incredibly disappointing game. I bought this expecting to be returned to the glory days of Mario Tennis for the N64. Insane, tight rallies where forcing your opponent(s) into an opening won you the point.

Instead, it's exactly what most of the fine folk here are saying. A chance shot pops up on nearly every hit and some of them are just plain ridiculous to counter. Offline it's somewhat manageable but online, it's an absolute joke. Each match isn't even about playing skilfully, it's just a case of hitting the right button (or X seeing as that completely defies the point of pressing anything else) and forcing the ball past your opponent with some lame, cheap shot.

Not to mention that the non-friends online mode is possibly the biggest joke I've ever come across in a video game. Two match settings, the first being a lame tie-breaker? No doubles? Not even the slightest amount of match-customisation unless you just so happen to con 1-3 other friends into buying this.

Good luck with your new and improved online network, Nintendo, because if this is the best that you can do, you're completely fucked.

(On the plus side, Super Mario Tennis is rather fun and addictive).

I like the chance shots...

I find them exciting.

(They're far less annoying than things like Blue Shells in Mario Kart and you don't see nearly as many people complaining about them.)

I'm glad to see that it's not just me that is disappointed with the game. I thought there was something wrong with me for a second.

I have to agree with Aneres about trying to position yourself during the rally. On the N64 I would always force my opponent to the back of the court while I would hug the net. You just can't do stuff like on this.

The online multiplayer is where its at! I've defeated the majority of online randoms. some of which are insanely good. I faced one guy who used boo, and the only shot he used was the slice. even when he went on a chance area, I'll tell you it was surprisingly hard to counter that shot (Boo + slice = crazy). but in the end I beat him.

Also I noticed the more difficult the opponent gets the less likely they use chance shots. in most cases they'll go for a different shot to try and mix things up, mind games etc, it's quite exciting actually. Whenever I switch on Mario Tennis, I only play the mini-games & online.

In all seriousness, we need to get some 2v2's going soon.

Yeah we do. And I don't get why people hate chance shots. It makes it really easy to counter their shots because then you usually can tell what they're gonna be doing. I've developed little strategies to counter each one.

People saying there is no skill here I can't imagine have played this for long. There's just as much as Mario Kart.

It's a skimpy package, I mean... at times it feels like an eShop title but I think the actual gameplay is fine.

All the reviews and opinions really dont make me want to buy this game..I LOVED mario tennis on the n64, such a well honed refined game......Power Tennis on the 'cube was pretty good but didn't woo me in the same way.. This sounds like its even futher down the slide....I'm not even considering it now.

Hmm all this backlash about the chance shots got me thinking... now that 3DS games can be patched is it not possible for Nintendo to patch-in an option to turn them off?

I know it's unlikely but it's at least possible surely.

It's a possibility, but I think there is probably a lot you'd have to chance other than simply taking them away from the games. CPU opponents might need to be changed drastically.

The online multiplayer is where its at! I've defeated the majority of online randoms. some of which are insanely good. I faced one guy who used boo, and the only shot he used was the slice. even when he went on a chance area, I'll tell you it was surprisingly hard to counter that shot (Boo + slice = crazy). but in the end I beat him.

Also I noticed the more difficult the opponent gets the less likely they use chance shots. in most cases they'll go for a different shot to try and mix things up, mind games etc, it's quite exciting actually. Whenever I switch on Mario Tennis, I only play the mini-games & online.

In all seriousness, we need to get some 2v2's going soon.

Yes totally agree with that,

im keen for 2v2 is anyone free tonight ?