NEurope
Dante

Virtue's Last Reward

I really should play 999 at some point. :p

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

Wouldn't that mean you've spoilt yourself then, as in it wouldn't be as impacting.... Does that make sense?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

Wouldn't that mean you've spoilt yourself then, as in it wouldn't be as impacting.... Does that make sense?

Not really, there were references but nothing really spoilery.

You really need to play 999...good lord, that game might well be one of the best I've ever played.

Well finished, just under 39 hours. Somestuff I predicted, but a lot of crazy stuff I didn't predict. In the end I am totally confused though.

My only negative would be that you have to sit through a lot of similar stuff, nature of the game I suppose though. One of the best 3DS games without a doubt.

I really should play 999 at some point. :p

I've completed it all now too. I would say though you've spoiled the story of 999 since this game tells you who survived 999 and who the villain was.

And let me say wow. The story to this game was great, makes most game stories seem like crud in comparison. So glad there'll be a sequel. The only improvement they could make is to crank up the budget for animations (a lot of stills used) and cut down the amount of 'semi-repeated' elements (conversations that play out in a very similar way to other storylines yet not identically, thus cannot be skipped).

Cracking game.

Oh ok. When do you plan to play 999?

Dunno, will play other stuff first so I don't get burned out.

I've completed it all now too. I would say though you've spoiled the story of 999 since this game tells you who survived 999 and who the villain was.

Oh, yeah I guess. Kinda forgot about that really. Don't really know the details though. I'm not really sure who the villain was to be honest.

Who was Akana referencing to when she mentioned Junpei? Sigma?

So it continues...

- another installment in the works

- Junpei will return

- he will be young again

- story will follow the mysteries of Radical-6 and Phi

- expect Dio and Tenmyouji to return as well

Edited by -Dem0-

Fuck me!

I got to get in on this.

Ever since I finished Hotel Dusk this year I've had the urge to pick up another visual novel, because that game left me with a retro soundtrack and happy, nostalgic thoughts :D

I almost bought the sequel yesterday too, but I'm not completely sure whether I want it in Japanese or English. The latter would surely be less expensive, but as a student of Japanese....yeah

A local game store has 999 on shelves for 45 euros, which is quite expensive, but I'm keeping my eye on it, for this series intrigues me very much. For some reason it keeps reminding me of SAW.

Dunno, will play other stuff first so I don't get burned out.

Oh, yeah I guess. Kinda forgot about that really. Don't really know the details though. I'm not really sure who the villain was to be honest.

Who was Akana referencing to when she mentioned Junpei? Sigma?

Tenmyouji is Junpei as an old man. The star of the first game.

I haven't played Virtue's Last Reward yet and know very little about it, so I can only assume that everything in Dem0's post is massive spoilers. :hmm:

A local game store has 999 on shelves for 45 euros, which is quite expensive, but I'm keeping my eye on it, for this series intrigues me very much. For some reason it keeps reminding me of SAW.

Just buy it online? It'd probably be a lot cheaper.

And 999 is way better than what I've played of Hotel Dusk, but I only ever got halfway before losing interest, so maybe it picks up significantly.

My apologies @Magnus, I didn't intend to spoil you or anybody else. I haven't played 999 or VLR, but I thought that this wasn't a spoiler as it wasn't 'protected' when this was posted on Gonintendo.

Original post amended.

This game...good lord it's getting so good. On my final run and have just entered what I believe to be the final room.

Started playing it at 9pm last night and didn't finish until about 3am...just amazing.

38 hours and I'm done. Incredible stuff. Best game on 3DS by miles, but I already knew that before I bought it.

38 hours and I'm done. Incredible stuff. Best game on 3DS by miles, but I already knew that before I bought it.

It's just so god damn good! out of interest, better or worse than 999?

I would say that everything is better in Virtue's Last Reward apart from the ending, but that's because Virtue's Last Reward doesn't really have an ending.

I would say that everything is better in Virtue's Last Reward apart from the ending, but that's because Virtue's Last Reward doesn't really have an ending.

I mostly agree with this.

Virtue's Last Reward is certainly the better "game". The quality of the puzzle rooms is better and I think there's more of them. Being able to skip puzzle rooms and jump to certain plot points using the flowchart remedied the one real criticism that could be made about its predecessor.

The plot is extremely clever in places, but I prefer 999's. 999 genuinely scared me. I was always in a slightly paranoid state when I was playing that game, I can't really say the same about VLR. And yeah, the ending isn't as good as 999's but the ending/final revelation of 999 is so mindblowing that I don't think it will be topped.

Woot? Cool. :) I like that.

Being able to skip puzzle rooms and jump to certain plot points using the flowchart remedied the one real criticism that could be made about its predecessor.

:bouncy: I will devour the game.

999 genuinely scared me.

Glad I'm not the only one. The music and the color pallet were perfect to make the atmosphere so amazingly dark.

All the talk on how good the prequel is has made me decide to get it myself. I only did the first puzzle on VLR on PS Vita so I can hold off on that (And the trophies) till I play this. Ugh my backlog just keeps on growing.

All the talk on how good the prequel is has made me decide to get it myself. I only did the first puzzle on VLR on PS Vita so I can hold off on that (And the trophies) till I play this. Ugh my backlog just keeps on growing.

The prequel could well be the best DS game I've played...enjoy :)

I pre-ordered and picked it up in-store on release day. I was slightly frustrated that none of the staff had even heard of it, so the chance of them persuading other customers will be slim-to-none in my local Game. Since playing it though, I've been hooked! I loved 999, which was a hidden gem after I bought the import version, and I have become addicted to the wonderfully intricate story of Virtue's Last Reward. I've still got at least 6 endings still to get too!

I really dislike this game's mix of mid-nineties 3D renders and 2D art. It's like, sometimes cutscenes (if you can call them that) look great with great-looking 2D art that really conveys motion and emotion, but most of the time you get these creepy Myst-looking 3D characters who awkwardly stand around like mannequins.

I mean, I loved the game, but some of the more exciting moments were good despite the art, not because of it.

Yeah that was something I noticed, lots of still images of 3D models mixed with the occasional animated scene. For a full price game I think they could have put a bit more work into that area.

Is this game really difficult to find already? It seems to be out of stock in a lot of places. I'm waiting for my order from Amazon, which cost me £17. Still, it gives me time to play 999 first!