NEurope
Yvonne

another reason not to get battlefield 3

Well, Zechs is clearly a moron...

NExt time I get that on isketch I'm going to draw his avatar. Had no idea what to draw earlier so ended up insulting ReZ :(

As near as I can make out this is a private event that has no association with EA or DICE. If you want to boycott the game because of it, I don't really care, but I don't understand your logic for arguing that this is a reason for not buying the game.

mmm, initially I thought it was the actual release promo, but seems not! Worth highlighting that this happened though. I probably will still avoid it for the origin thing anyway

I probably will still avoid it for the origin thing anyway

You don't need to go through the Origin launcher to play games downloaded through it, unlike Steam. In fact you could add BF3 as a non-Steam game and still launch it via Valve's platform.

While obviously it was stupid to ban women folk from attending the LAN party I still dont get why this would stop you buying the game. Its like saying you wouldnt buy a Nintendo console because N-Europe wouldnt let you join because you are a woman. Its a private LAN party so nothing to do with the game.

The issue is "would you support a sexist organisation"? It's like companies with unethical/environmentally unfriendly practices - do you boycott them, or ignore it and continue buying their products? Of course nothing is physically stopping you from buying the game.

I can't tell whether I'm supposed to be laughing at Zechs' posts or not... :s

You don't need to go through the Origin launcher to play games downloaded through it, unlike Steam. In fact you could add BF3 as a non-Steam game and still launch it via Valve's platform.

If this is the case, and Origin isn't going to serve as a sort of platfrom with its own organisation of friends lists, servers and an anticheat security for example, why is it that EA are going to such lengths to remove some of their recent blockbusters from the Steam service? I'm assuming this is the case, although another explanation I can think of is that the Origin service is integrated into each game individually, and there doens't need to be a launcher open for you to access all your friend data etc.

Zechs Marquise/Merquise is the one everyone mentions in hushed tones/insinuates is awful, right? Because that's now clear.

If this is the case, and Origin isn't going to serve as a sort of platfrom with its own organisation of friends lists, servers and an anticheat security for example, why is it that EA are going to such lengths to remove some of their recent blockbusters from the Steam service? I'm assuming this is the case, although another explanation I can think of is that the Origin service is integrated into each game individually, and there doens't need to be a launcher open for you to access all your friend data etc.

Basically there was a conflict regarding a contract between Crytek and some other distributor and Valve's contract with EA. Valve booted Crysis 2 off Steam, and so EA decided to not release Battlefield 3 on Steam because of it.

Its a bit of an inconvenience, but as long as I can buy it online and play it with relatively few restrictions I don't really care what the store is called.

If this is the case, and Origin isn't going to serve as a sort of platfrom with its own organisation of friends lists, servers and an anticheat security for example, why is it that EA are going to such lengths to remove some of their recent blockbusters from the Steam service?

I imagine the primary reason is that Valve acts as a platform holder. On consoles publishers pay licensing fees to put out there games and Steam is much the same, a percentage of each sale going into Valve's pocket.

When you look at it like that it makes sense that EA would want to take out the middleman when it comes to selling their games on an open platform; whilst I don't know what percentage Valve takes, it's not too outlandish to suggest that Electronic Arts could be making multiple millions more profit by selling direct to their consumers. I think it's a bit hypocritical of some people to condemn EA for it, too, given that the only place you can buy Valve's games digitally is via Steam. That said I do appreciate the origin, so to speak, of the sentiment.

The issue is "would you support a sexist organisation"? It's like companies with unethical/environmentally unfriendly practices - do you boycott them, or ignore it and continue buying their products? Of course nothing is physically stopping you from buying the game.

I can't tell whether I'm supposed to be laughing at Zechs' posts or not... :s

Yes I get that but thats only the case if the sexist organisation is the one making the game, which this isnt. Im not talking about not understand why anyone would ever boycott something, just that in this instance it didnt make sense due to it being a private LAN party, which Yvonne has now realised.

More disappointing is the assumption that it's OK to be a massive dick when playing games online, whether its to a male or female. The fact that there are people that choose to spend their free time spouting abuse at randoms makes me lose a little more faith in people in general.

I find it amusing. To both recieve and do. It's a shame people like to be like that, but what else are you gonna do?

....not do it?

online gaming is full of the most purile and offensively stupid people I think I've ever encountered. It's remarkable. The least you can do is not stoop to their level. Unless, of course, you assassinate some little prick on Halo who thinks he's the nuts with a sniper. He's clearly getting teabagged

People getting mad online is funny sometimes.

On Section 8 you can literally land on someone when you spawn.

Makes people so pissy.

But calling some a fag is less funny.

While obviously it was stupid to ban women folk from attending the LAN party I still dont get why this would stop you buying the game. Its like saying you wouldnt buy a Nintendo console because N-Europe wouldnt let you join because you are a woman. Its a private LAN party so nothing to do with the game.

This is probably the first post I've seen that I agree with completely. I can't see what this party has to do with the game at all except for the game being the centre of attention. It's not the game developer's fault but the event organiser's but even then, it's one party (right?).

Yvonne, while I do get that it's your money and everything, I can't see what this party thing has to do with the game. It just some little private party in the USA (right?) so I'm pretty sure there'd be loads more things to go to.

I can see where Zercs is coming from when he says that it's like not giving money to Race for Life because men aren't allowed to run. It wouldn't stop you from giving money to charity, would it?

I wouldn't let this stop you from buying the game though. It's one party. There's loads of sexist, racist, prejudice people out there and if I let them get to me, I wouldn't be buying many things.

I totally get where you're coming from and I agree with you but I don't see why this would stop you from buying the game. You're not supporting them by buying it. If you want the game to play the game then buy it but I honestly can't see why you would not buy this game just because of some moronic party.

Look up Dazz - I initially thought it was THE dice official release LAN party - I was puzzled as to why it was being held in texas...

But no, it's just some dicks being dicks. Pretty standard stuff!

Yvonne has already started that she THOUGHT it was an official event thus her initial reason for taking further exception (beyond origin) to the game. I do appreciate the thread though cause its something interesting to talk about whether or not people are buying battlefield 3.

I find it amusing. To both recieve and do. It's a shame people like to be like that, but what else are you gonna do?

You arn't a dick on here (most of the time :p) so why are you likely to be more of a dick when there are 3D models involved? Surely its just as funny?

(yeah I know your not a dick in here cause you'll see converse with them for longer than 1 round of slayer)

What I suspect is that you find it funny reacting to the ridiculousness of these people. The difference is that you arn't randomly throwing out insults. You wouldn't arbitrarily throw out personal insults for the lulz unless they'd made themselves a target.

Bard... I have indeed started listening to GFW upon your drunken recommendation. Shawn Elliot seems to run the VERY fine line with griefing online.

Also, stop feeding the trolls

Unless, of course, you assassinate some little prick on Halo who thinks he's the nuts with a sniper. He's clearly getting teabagged

Dam straight.

Yvonne has already started that she THOUGHT it was an official event thus her initial reason for taking further exception (beyond origin) to the game. I do appreciate the thread though cause its something interesting to talk about whether or not people are buying battlefield 3.

You arn't a dick on here (most of the time :p) so why are you likely to be more of a dick when there are 3D models involved? Surely its just as funny?

(yeah I know your not a dick in here cause you'll see converse with them for longer than 1 round of slayer)

What I suspect is that you find it funny reacting to the ridiculousness of these people. The difference is that you arn't randomly throwing out insults. You wouldn't arbitrarily throw out personal insults for the lulz unless they'd made themselves a target.

Bard... I have indeed started listening to GFW upon your drunken recommendation. Shawn Elliot seems to run the VERY fine line with griefing online.

Also, stop feeding the trolls

You know me too well, that is more accurate. I didn't realise my post implied I grief without reason and for the sake of just being malicious/a dick.

Unless I'm calling people bummers.

I sure hope you're boycotting the Olympics.

Does not giving a shit mean the same thing?

Does not giving a shit mean the same thing?

For all intents and purposes.

You should probably give a shit about avoiding London for just under a month though...