N-Europe

Lucid dream

mcj metroid

Personally I find the idea of dreams and nightmares quite interesting.

One thing about dreams I always find cool is that your brian NEVER invents a single person. Whether you remember or not, everybody in your dream is real.

Persnally more often than not, I've been experiencing lucid dreams. This is dreams, where you figure out you are actually dreaming inside the dream. Something unrealistic might trigger it. I tend to have these kinds of ones more often than not, but trust me they can get terrifying. In my case I get tortured a lot lol.

I believe people when they tell me you are parylyised while you sleep. I try to stop someone in the dream and I can't move. Anyone ever experience anything quite like this?

I remember having a dream once I was in a warzone and on the run from a bunch of enemy soilders, I got cornered and had no way out. I was thinking "shit if I get captured what the hell kind of torture is the enemy gonna put me through"

Then I somehow realised I was dreaming and remember the film Inception and thought hey, I can just kill myself and I'll wake up. So I shot myself in the head.... but i didn't wake up :heh:

Instead I remember being on the ground for a few minutes blood pouring out of my head, enemies still closing in and me thinking then... "maybe I'm not dreaming this FUCKING HURTS"

Then I woke up

:heh:

Erm... yes it does. I've often had dreams about people I don't know.

Nope, it's pretty much a proven fact. How do you know you've never seen the person? Subconsciously you have seen 100,000's of people in your life. You cannot possibly remember every face.

Nope, it's pretty much a proven fact. How do you know you've never seen the person? Subconsciously you have seen 100,000's of people in your life. You cannot possibly remember every face.

Well (in my dream) I once tried to punch a guy about 3 foot taller than me. I know he was about 3 foot taller than me because I could barely reach his face. I've never seen a guy three foot taller than me (and I'm pretty certain that there is no guy in the world that's 3 foot taller than me).

Do you have any evidence of this "proven fact"? Saying "well you might have seen him but don't remember" is a pretty stupid argument, and certainly not proof.

turns out I can't find a single thing on it actually. This site seems to have started it all

http://listverse.com/2007/11/14/top-10-amazing-facts-about-dreams/

Problem is I can't find where they found this info from.. but I HAVE heard this being mentioned before, I defo didn't pull it outta my ass ha.

How about fictional people? I've dreamed with fictional characters before.

I do believe that everything is based on SOMETHING. On ther other hand though, in your dreams aren't you using more of your brain than when you are awake?

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

When do you dream?

Well you don't spend 7 hours of your sleep dreaming. I think it's about 2 hours tops. So that time you are dreaming would probably register higher levels of brain activity than when not dreaming.

Personally, I rarely have lucid dreams and as soon as I realise I'm dreaming, I wake up anyway.

I don't lucid dream, except like a few mornings ago I had sleep paralysis/false awakening type thing but instead of freaking out I managed to dream a dream of time gone by, thinking how amazing it was to have this finally decent lucid dream(ie didnt wake up, i tend to) and how it was so totally awesome that I'd never ever forget it.

Then I did. I remembered like a couple days later just the idea of the knowledge that it happened, and no content. I learnt of lucid dreaming about 8 years ago, and other than teh just mentioned event, don't remember having very many in my entire lifetime.

Failbrainz :(

Firstly, I'll say I'm skeptical of anyone saying they have lucid dreams more often than other kinds of dreams. Yes, it's possible to be able to set your dreams up in such a way that a trigger can make you aware that you're dreaming, and thus in a lucid dream, but the frequency of them isn't particularly high and I think some people claim to have experienced lucid dreams but in fact they've had a dream in the waking period, where you're no longer in a state of deep sleep, and thus retrospectively look back on the experience when fully wake thinking that what they've experienced was a lucid dream but wasn't. There's a very, very fine line between lucid and non-lucid dreaming.

I'm not saying it's not possible for people to have successive lucid dreams, as it's clearly not impossible, but to have them more frequently than other dreams seems off and seems to be part of this control culture where people want to believe they are manipulating everything, including their dreams.

Secondly, on the subject of people in dreams, it is right that the majority of people we will encounter/interact with are either from conscious or subconscious recollection. However, individual attributes for people (hair, eyes, ears, etc.) are also processed consciously and subconsciously because they are important features (and things like Dichotic listening tests and masking show that these important features can be recalled from memory even though they were subconsciously processed) and the brain is capable of putting these together to 'create' if you will a random person you'll have no recollection of, although it's likely that it'll be based off of the general aesthetics of someone you have already seen.

To my recollection, I've only ever had one true lucid dream. Others I've had have occurred in the waking period and don't really count as you're not really in a state of deep sleep, which you need to be for lucid dreams to occur.

Firstly, I'll say I'm skeptical of anyone saying they have lucid dreams more often than other kinds of dreams. Yes, it's possible to be able to set your dreams up in such a way that a trigger can make you aware that you're dreaming, and thus in a lucid dream, but the frequency of them isn't particularly high and I think some people claim to have experienced lucid dreams but in fact they've had a dream in the waking period, where you're no longer in a state of deep sleep, and thus retrospectively look back on the experience when fully wake thinking that what they've experienced was a lucid dream but wasn't. There's a very, very fine line between lucid and non-lucid dreaming.

I'm not saying it's not possible for people to have successive lucid dreams, as it's clearly not impossible, but to have them more frequently than other dreams seems off and seems to be part of this control culture where people want to believe they are manipulating everything, including their dreams.

Secondly, on the subject of people in dreams, it is right that the majority of people we will encounter/interact with are either from conscious or subconscious recollection. However, individual attributes for people (hair, eyes, ears, etc.) are also processed consciously and subconsciously because they are important features (and things like Dichotic listening tests and masking show that these important features can be recalled from memory even though they were subconsciously processed) and the brain is capable of putting these together to 'create' if you will a random person you'll have no recollection of, although it's likely that it'll be based off of the general aesthetics of someone you have already seen.

To my recollection, I've only ever had one true lucid dream. Others I've had have occurred in the waking period and don't really count as you're not really in a state of deep sleep, which you need to be for lucid dreams to occur.

I remember reading about the dichotic listening tasks, I had to do an essay on sleep for my module. Are you doing psychology too?

I've had lucid dreams a couple of times, but they usually ended with me panicking at the thought that I might never wake up as a consequence of being aware of my state.

Subconsciously you have seen 100,000's of people in your life. You cannot possibly remember every face.

I've read that your mind pretty much remembers every little detail that you see and hear, and that it was biologically possible for you to remember every person you've met since the day you were born.

http://www.cracked.com/article/114_5-superpowers-you-didnt-know-your-body-was-hiding-from-you/

I've had lucid dreams a couple of times, but they usually ended with me panicking at the thought that I might never wake up as a consequence of being aware of my state.

I've read that your mind pretty much remembers every little detail that you see and hear, and that it was biologically possible for you to remember every person you've met since the day you were born.

http://www.cracked.com/article/114_5-superpowers-you-didnt-know-your-body-was-hiding-from-you/

She should try and go on 'Who wants to be a millionaire' or just about any general knowledge based TV show. - She would win hands down.

Edited by The Lillster