NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fused King

Mario&Luigi series

Superstar Saga was one of the most refreshing and creative RPGs I've ever played. I don't think that game did anything wrong.

Partners in Time lost much of its charm, in terms of plot and setting. Things got perhaps a bit too serious with the shroobs. It barely had any exploration aspects, too. Gameplay-wise, it was still to joy to play, in dungeons or in battles. Goes to show how well done this series is, despite the direction they take with it.

Bowser's Inside Story salvaged those aspects of the series, though, and much more. The Bowser/Bros dynamics were fantastic, the battles got even better, more complex, more varied, more fun. We even got a gauntlet mode.

The best thing was definitely Bowser himself. We need more games with him as the protagonist. He's awesome.

Overall, I think Superstar Saga was the most concise, better game. Incredible series all around, though.

I completely agree with what Jonnas said haha.

The first game was great, felt like a fresh breeze to me, something completely new amongst all the other games. Great story, great humour, great gameplay... it was all good!

Partners in Time I felt wasn't as good. I'm not sure I even finished it. The moves felt too difficult to perform (stupid babies), the story wasn't as compelling... It was still a good game but the first one seemed to have a lot more charm to it.

Then the third one seemed to return back to form. I loved playing as Bowser and the game gave me a few laughs. Was fun to play again. =)

If they make a 4th instalment, I hope it's as good as number 1 and 3, or even better!

I am very hopeful that we might just see a Mario&Luigi game on the WiiU.

The uPad and the TV screen is in line with the double screens of the DS + there are even more possibilities with the uPad:D

Given that Paper Mario is heading to the 3DS is even more of a reason to bless the home console with its own Mario RPG.

PLEASE LET IS BE SO!

For some reason i never took to these games.. Especially as much as paper mario.

I dunno really, but superstar saga was the best of the lot I thought. The controls just annoyed me in the second game.

Superstar Saga is one of my favourite GBA games. I played it when took a trip to North Ireland and I couldn't take my hands off it/refused to turn it off. I beat it in very few sittings. :D

The Final Boss left my 13 year old heart in my mouth! :grin:

Partners In Time was excellent fun but I don't think it stands up to the first somehow. Still a great addition to the DS.

I've yet to play Bowsers Inside Story but I'm sure it's wonderful. :D

Whilst I too was dissapointed by Partners in Time, in comparison to Superstar Saga, I still found the game to have an interesting story, charming new characters and the notable plot twists. It also had some very memorable scenes, like Luigi getting a thorough 'mind- examination' by the star door. Remember that one:laughing:

"they met the Star Gate. Although passing Mario and the Babies worthy enough to travel through it, the Star Gate judged Luigi and said that he was not worthy enough to go in because of a dark secret in his past. After whispering to Luigi what that dark secret was, the Star Gate gave them three choices: go home and have a nice pasta dinner ending their quest, leave Luigi behind and continue without him, or finding the Aurora Block. The brothers searched through the entire Star Shrine and find the Aurora Block. Giving the block back to the Star Gate, the Gate asks Luigi who found the block, with only three answers (1. Mario, 2. The babies, or 3. Me, me, ME!) to choose from. Whichever answer he picked from, the Star Gate counted them all wrong and said there was a fourth answer, Everyone. Saddened, Luigi began to cry. Angry by the actions of the Star Gate, Mario and Baby Mario confronted the gate. After seeing them stand up for their brother the Gate labeled them the best siblings ever and allowed Luigi to pass. The Star Gate told the brothers that it was just a test and told Luigi to strike the Aurora Block with all of his new found might."

I think the fact that it was quite short and easy, and less open-world made me a sad panda.

Still, because of its shortness, it IS my most-completed in the series; 6 times.

Edited by Fused King

I've not completed the first (stuck against that little green guy), but it's certainly better than the second.

Due to the time of release of Inside Story (lack of money) I didn't get it near release so I've yet to pick it up.

The second game had one of the most boring and long lasting last boss battles...EVER! I was so happy once the game was over and done with, it really does let the series down.

The original is still the best for me by far but Bowser's Inside Story managed to get the series back on track.

So, I was making progress in Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga when I finally ended up in Yoshi Theater and spotted this particular poster of M&L:

Lolzstaffylookscute.png

Now what is particularly interesting about this is that it's the exact same Mario&Luigi used on the cover of Bowser's Inside Story:

ds-mario-luigi--bowser-inside-story.jpg

Could this just be a logo Alphadream once made up, or could there already have been plans for a game which would not see the light of day in about 5 years....?

Thanks for the reminder guys, playing through Partners in Time right now :)

Partners in Time lost much of its charm, in terms of plot and setting. Things got perhaps a bit too serious with the shroobs. It barely had any exploration aspects, too. Gameplay-wise, it was still to joy to play, in dungeons or in battles. Goes to show how well done this series is, despite the direction they take with it.

Yeah, that's a very good point...it seems as there is much less humour in this one, which definitely flattens the charm of the game! I mean that's what made SS so good in the first place, so it's a bit weird they decided to tone it down so much! Also, like Eenuh said, some of the commands are unnecessarily complex, like just using the hammer...A, X, A, X? Why not make it just A, A, A and then X? Still, the super moves are pretty easy to time and execute, so that's very good, could jump straight in after a long break.

Well, it's still a quality game though...but good to hear BIS is a return to the old format, sounds great :) Just gonna finish this one first!

Sign in to follow this