NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

Brilliant performance with a scoreline that flattered City, one harmless header aside, they offered nothing. Can't really fault Arsenal's performance, only sour note was Gibbs getting injured again.

Suppose that's one tough fixture out the way.

Love the Spaniard with the immaculate hair!

Suppose that's one tough fixture out the way.

Love the Spaniard with the immaculate hair!

Well said, well said, I see these negative comments aimed at him, like he's not good enough for Arsenal, but he's contributed a lot and he's done it again today, he's under appreciated, a silent hero.

I hate to say it because it's often used to big up shite players but he does so many of the things you don't really notice. On top of that, you've got his range of passing, his shooting ability and his beautiful hair that never seems to be ruffled, even after a concussion.

Arsenal thanks for beating Manchester City 6 more Games to play you can do it Manchester United.

if United throw this away now it'll be a huge shock

I hope not were playing on Wednesday and were not on TV

Well said, well said, I see these negative comments aimed at him, like he's not good enough for Arsenal, but he's contributed a lot and he's done it again today, he's under appreciated, a silent hero.

I hate to say it because it's often used to big up shite players but he does so many of the things you don't really notice. On top of that, you've got his range of passing, his shooting ability and his beautiful hair that never seems to be ruffled, even after a concussion.

My favourite thing about Arteta; he's a dirty little bastard. And we've not had a Mr Nasty in bloody years.

Just like last season citeh come to the emirates and get dominated, but this time there was some justice, albeit we should've thumped em' but at the end of the day it's the points that matter. Crapotelli needs a serious ban he could've got sent off at least 2 or maybe even 3 times today! Also Mancini has said that he won't play again for the rest of the season, he may also be sold in the summer... I doubt anyone would buy this hooligan.

onto the next game!

Just like last season citeh come to the emirates and get dominated, but this time there was some justice, albeit we should've thumped em' but at the end of the day it's the points that matter. Crapotelli needs a serious ban he could've got sent off at least 2 or maybe even 3 times today! Also Mancini has said that he won't play again for the rest of the season, he may also be sold in the summer... I doubt anyone would buy this hooligan.

onto the next game!

for the right price Balotelli will find a club no problem. The guy is talented no doubt, just no manager can control him.

There will be clubs ready to take a risk on him.

yeah I'm sure Milan were interested previously and wouldn't be surprised if that's where he heads, plus they have history with crazies! (Zlatan, Cassano)

Surely that's the title settled then. Good win for Arsenal, thoroughly deserved and Arteta's goal was a peach. Was gutted when Joe Hart somehow saved that Walcott effort (fantasy team).

At this rate the only debate about where Man City will finish by the end of the season will be as follows: 2nd or 3rd? They're form is just bloody awful at the moment and it's really looking like a lost cause. I think Mancini has a bit of a cheek asking people to 'blame Balotelli'. Given the individual skill of the players Man City have, they should be absolutely bossing this league. As it is, they're 8 points adrift of a side who, while very good at winning, seem far from the best that Man United are used to (though do correct me if I'm mistaken Manc fans) If Ferguson or O'neil or Pardew Or Wenger had the players Mancini has to work with, it would be a league winning side I'm sure. It could quite easily be a CL semi final side. He has a lot to answer for, I feel.

Anyway, with the title race looking done and dusted, it's the European and Relegation battles that are shaping up very nicely indeed. Too nicely in fact, it's making me bloody nervous about the end of the season :heh:

Bolton at home tomorrow. Taking nothing for granted.

I'm quoting Flink here because I don't know how to tag. Help anyone?

Found this comment on the QPR match, was wondering if as a fan you thought any of it held true?

Shocking decision. Compelled me to write this load of waffle;

This United team/squad are poorer than a lot of previous United sides for many reasons and I don't really enjoy watching them. One reason they are inferior that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is their lack of class. In a worrying number of games this season where they're struggling to break down the opposition's defence one of the forward players has taken a dive; Rooney and Young being the worst culprits, Nani, Welbeck and Hernandez close behind. Is this team so unsure of its ability to create chances that they need to take a dive against a team in danger of being relegated?

Maybe I've bought into the history too much but I always thought United got their fame and status from playing the game a certain way and not cheating. Johann Cruyff told Fergie he'd never win the Champions League without cheating, and apart from the odd silly dive from Beckham he got there in the end.

Since then we've had players who despite their brilliance have felt the need to dive, most notably Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo. Somewhere along the way United's core identity has been lost and replaced with an attitude to win in any way possible, in England I always associated this attitude with teams like Leeds, Liverpool, then Arsenal and more recently Chelsea.

Maybe it's the way the game has changed, maybe it's because of pressure from the Glazers, maybe Fergie's so obsessed with winning he's lost sight of what makes Man United different but some of our forwards need to be reminded of why United are the club they are and start representing that history on the pitch. They could start by looking over at the guy on the right wing - hard but fair, that's how it should be done.

Edited by ipaul
Automerged Doublepost

Bobby P aside, I wouldn't really class as Arsenal as a 'diving' team, especially the current squad.

Found this comment on the QPR match, was wondering if as a fan you thought any of it held true?

Shocking decision. Compelled me to write this load of waffle;

This United team/squad are poorer than a lot of previous United sides for many reasons and I don't really enjoy watching them. One reason they are inferior that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is their lack of class. In a worrying number of games this season where they're struggling to break down the opposition's defence one of the forward players has taken a dive; Rooney and Young being the worst culprits, Nani, Welbeck and Hernandez close behind. Is this team so unsure of its ability to create chances that they need to take a dive against a team in danger of being relegated?

Maybe I've bought into the history too much but I always thought United got their fame and status from playing the game a certain way and not cheating. Johann Cruyff told Fergie he'd never win the Champions League without cheating, and apart from the odd silly dive from Beckham he got there in the end.

Since then we've had players who despite their brilliance have felt the need to dive, most notably Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo. Somewhere along the way United's core identity has been lost and replaced with an attitude to win in any way possible, in England I always associated this attitude with teams like Leeds, Liverpool, then Arsenal and more recently Chelsea.

Maybe it's the way the game has changed, maybe it's because of pressure from the Glazers, maybe Fergie's so obsessed with winning he's lost sight of what makes Man United different but some of our forwards need to be reminded of why United are the club they are and start representing that history on the pitch. They could start by looking over at the guy on the right wing - hard but fair, that's how it should be done.

To some extent, it is true. Although, I think there are more reasons than that as to why this current team aren't as great as past teams.

I do think the issue of diving is a worldwide problem now. It's not just associated with one football team or even one league anymore. The problem with this is that for too long players have been allowed to get away with it without any repercussions. I'm all in favour of a citing system (like the one in Rugby) came into place as it would preserve the integrity of the sport.

This current team rely too much on the wingers. The old United team did as well, because even the treble winning team had Giggs and Beckham there commanding the wings. However, as the same time, Keane and Scholes were destroyers in the middle of the park. Our team play these days revolves around receiving the ball and pumping it out to Valencia for him to supply a cross. Yesterday, Scholes and Carrick had many attempts where they could have curled or blasted one in from the outside of the box but refused. What happened when they did? Scholes scored and Carrick hit the post/bar.

I think partly this is down to a coaching problem. The football hasn't been as fluid since Carlos Queiroz was here, and I'm not sure exactly what Mike Phelan is doing to help on the training ground. We need to bring somebody else in (in my opinion) as a number two who can inspire the team. Clearly there are talented players there, Rooney, Nani, Young, the Da Silva twins and Welbeck have the ability to wow the crowd, but the overall play isn't that good. It's laboured.

On the other hand, we are criticising a team that is on the way to their next league title. So, to say that United are a bad team is wrong. They know how to win games. It's just winning some style and grace that seems to be the issue here.

Valencia is my current favourite United player as he seems to be very old fashioned in his approach player. Get the ball, beat the man, put in a cross. What I also like is the no nonsense attitude. You fall down, you get up again.

I'm not sure exactly if this United team feel that they need to dive to win. They are capable of scoring goals and were dominating against QPR. What I do think is that players seem to have this idea that if there is a slight touch, they need to go down like they've been shot. Like I mentioned earlier, I think this is a problem in the whole of football and not linked in with one team. Maybe this is partly a problem with refereeing, where they feel that if they don't go down, they won't get anything. Clearly the game has evolved, so something needs to be done to sort this issue out, as it's one of the biggest in the sport at the moment.

Spurs 1-2 Norwich

Newcastle 2-0 Bolton

If the scorelines stay like this Newcastle will be on the same points as Tottenham.

from what I'm hearing Newcastle haven't been playing so well, then out of nothing Ben Arfa scored a fantastic goal. I cant wait to watch these games tonight.

EDIT:

Cisse has made it 2. This guy is on fire.

EDIT: 2

Newcastle won 2-0.

Norwich have won 2-1.

Edited by -Dem0-

Chelsea can go 4th if they can win tonight. You fail to mention Everton's 4-0 demolition of Sunderland, which takes them 4 points clear of Liverpool and has given them a better goal difference.

If Chelsea do win we'll have three teams on 59 points, goal difference would be the only deciding factor in which 2 teams will get European football, my god it's getting exciting now.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

I was aware of Evertons great win, my main games were the ones I mentioned above. All that's left tonight is to enjoy another london derby.

Exciting?! It's bloody horrific. 1 win in 8 for spurs, 13 points clear of Champions league a couple of months ago. All happened since Capello resigned, coincidence?!?

Just shocking though from Harry, don't know what he's playing it. Absolutely clueless. Fulham will get a result tonight and we still have the easiest run in. Beat chelsea in the cup next week and hopefully that'll kick start a final splurge to the end.

Exciting?! It's bloody horrific. 1 win in 8 for spurs, 13 points clear of Champions league a couple of months ago. All happened since Capello resigned, coincidence?!?

Just shocking though from Harry, don't know what he's playing it. Absolutely clueless. Fulham will get a result tonight and we still have the easiest run in. Beat chelsea in the cup next week and hopefully that'll kick start a final splurge to the end.

Pretty good match though, at least it wasn't the borefest of the Sunderland game on Saturday.

I don't think it's necessarily all Hazza's fault, everyone's looking quite tired, and considering the team earlier in the season seemed to be modelled on pace VDV and Ade don't really work in that mix. Adebayor's been pretty rubbish since the Newcastle match - I don't think I've seen a player get played offside so much as him this season. Bet there's a stat to back it up. I'm sure he'll surprise me by knocking in a random hattrick at some point but still. Norwich are a pretty decent team though.

Also I don't think QPR / Blackburn / Bolton will be easy wins, considering how close to the end of the season we are and where they are on the table.

Outrageous prediction: Newcastle for the third place. Though their last three games are tough.

I am liking the mid-league a lot this year, it's been hard to call most of the games this year, and Swans / Norwich / Sunderland have been great, to name a few.

I will say nothing until our game against Wolves on Wednesday.

Ben Arfa's goal was ruddy brilliant. Absolutely did the Bolton defence, which was just as well. Had the feeling we might just lose that game before the goal, but we hung on in there and got two late goals. 1 goal conceded in 5, three 2-0 results in a row. Thought Santon and Ameobi had pretty good games today and Cisse, well, he just doesn't stop scoring does he?

Oh it's all getting terribly exciting now isn't it? Just thinking how much that last minute goal we conceded at the Emirates might end up costing us :heh:

Honestly I still don't quite expect us to keep this going and grab a CL spot, but we're certainly making it interesting. I had a feeling Norwich might snatch a draw at Spurs given their performance against Everton, so I was very pleased to find they actually got a win.

Come on Fulham....

Good to see Ben Arfa doing well.

He has always had amazing ability but his attitude was always a huge problem. Wouldnt work hard enough and when he was dropped he would sulk and get into arguments with coaches and teamates.

Nice to see he changed his ways.

Nice work Fulham :) I'll be damned if that goal is going to be classed as a Cahill own goal instead of Dempsey's - I have the pair of them in my fantasy team so that will lose me many points =/

I will say nothing until our game against Wolves on Wednesday.

The we've been playing of late theres no doubt you'll thrash us 15-0.

Hmm... I wonder if Dalglish is in the running for the England job then! :idea: