NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

To be honest if a team is 1-0 up they would take the full time whistle. It only seems to happen when utd need it.

It is the phantom minutes that get added that interest me. But i feel this is going round in circles. Utd fans see no issue and every other fan does. That is the way it will be for a good long while.

But i feel this is going round in circles. Utd fans see no issue and every other fan does. That is the way it will be for a good long while.

Gotta love football right :p

I see it as the other team holding on for dear life as they get dominated just for Man Utd to get one more whack at it.

Has this all been brought up after United scoring an injury time winner against City? Nothing wrong with the amount of time given and it was clearly a fine goal. It's not like these trophies come gift wrapped for United. They work fucking hard for them.

If you remember, City actually had a corner right before we booted it upfield and scored. Every team has opportunities, it's down to whether or not you take them. City well and truly wasted theirs, so I don't have sympathy for them. Having a corner and then managing to concede a goal from it in the last minute of the game is piss poor.

Kinda happy, friendlies are awful and it means no potential injuries for Liverpool players.

Plus we'd just get embarrassed by a much better side.

Kinda happy, friendlies are awful and it means no potential injuries for Liverpool players.

Plus we'd just get embarrassed by a much better side.

Not to mention the stupidity off scheduling a friendly 2 days before the first game of the season.

Well... with the Premier League kicking off this weekend (hopefully) how about some we do fixture predictions?

Maybe I'll turn this into a game in the Game board, each week we put down predictions and get scores for it. Kinda like Lawro's BBC predictions. What did he do 1 point for correct result and 3 points for correct score?

Anyways I'll work on that later. - EDIT - I've created a thread in the N-Europe Playground now for this mini league thing.

Blackburn v Wolverhampton = 2-0 to Blackburn

Fulham v Aston Villa = 1-1

Liverpool v Sunderland = 2-1 to Liverpool

QPR v Bolton = 0-2 to Bolton

Tottenham v Everton = 2-1 To Spurs

Wigan v Norwich = 3-0 to Wigan

Newcastle v Arsenal = 2-0 to Arsenal

Stoke v Chelsea = 1-3 to Chelsea

West Brom v Man Utd = 0-3 to Man Utd

Man City V Swansea = 4-1 to Man City

Edited by Murr

The only cancelled/postponed Premier League game this weekend is between Spurs and Everton. All the rest will apparently be on. Unless something happens before then, I imagine.

Bring it on. Football, how I have missed you.

The only cancelled/postponed Premier League game this weekend is between Spurs and Everton. All the rest will apparently be on. Unless something happens before then, I imagine.

Bring it on. Football, how I have missed you.

I'd usually be incredibly optimistic and excited at this point, instead I'm just hoping we've got a midfield to put out against Newcastle and scrape a result.

Edited by Ramar

I'd usually be incredibly optimistic and excited at this point, instead I'm just hoping we've got a midfield to put against Newcastle and scrape a result.

Have you got any midfielders lined up in the transfer market? I keep seeing you linked with Mata, but I don't see that happening.

If you sell Nasri and Fabregas, you'll be getting 50million+ there. David Moyes could get you a whole midfield for that price. :heh:

That's another thing, I feel so sorry for him. Another transfer window, and I don't think he's managed to sign a single significent player. What's he got to do to get some funds? Liverpool have spent so much this window...Everton fans must be pissed.

Finally got a Left Back in, and a decent one.

Really happy with our transfers so far, could be more.

..before I go looking for who you're talking about, I can only assume you mean Jose Enrique?

If so, let's hope he can for a good partnership with Downing on the left..

Kenny's pretty much made you a new team since January. You've got two new strikers (Suarez and Carrol), a new midfield (Henderson, Adam, Downing) and one new defender (Enrique). I don't think I've missed anyone out.

That's insane. Four of those are English players. Young English players, which the fans will love to see.

All I've been hearing/reading this week is how Liverpool will finish above us, but every critic, paper, blogger, seems to forget that behind Liverpool's 15 midfielders is a defence just as bad (if not worse) than the one at The Arsenal.

I mean Glen Johnson is rubbish, Agger and Skrtel might survive a season between them, Carragher isn't getting any younger or more mobile. Don't rate Aurelio much myself or Kyrgiakos.

I wouldn't have any of them at the Arsenal, unless it's to replace Squillaci then I'd take a packet of Space Raiders and a Dip Dab.

I hope Liverpool can perhaps bring a good defender in before the end of the transfer window but maybe Martin Kelly will play some games at the heart of defence this year considering that is apparently his natural position..

All I've been hearing/reading this week is how Liverpool will finish above us, but every critic, paper, blogger, seems to forget that behind Liverpool's 15 midfielders is a defence just as bad (if not worse) than the one at The Arsenal.

I mean Glen Johnson is rubbish, Agger and Skrtel might survive a season between them, Carragher isn't getting any younger or more mobile. Don't rate Aurelio much myself or Kyrgiakos.

I wouldn't have any of them at the Arsenal, unless it's to replace Squillaci then I'd take a packet of Space Raiders and a Dip Dab.

Liverpool are in the market for Scott Dann. So are Arsenal, from what I hear.

Agger is probably the best defender they have at the club, I rate him highly. But, don't forget that they also have youngsters like Martin Kelly coming through. I rate him. I'd expect Liverpool to get a centre-back, but not sure it will be as high profile as some of the other signings they've made.

They're throwing money around, which is the difference I guess between Arsenal and teams like Liverpool and City right now. Even United, who are spending big money on De Gea, Smalling and Young, and are still looking at players like Sneijder.

I think last season (or maybe this one) was/will be the one test Wenger's philosophy. Whilst other teams are paying big money for big names, he hasn't. Clichy is gone, and I don't think he's been replaced. Naturally, you'd expect Gibbs to take over his role. But, Nasri and Fabregas will be big misses since these are the big engines in midfield. Arshavin and Rosicky never turn up, so this will put the emphasis on players such as Wilshere and Ramsey. Quality players, but they won't both stay fit for the entire season. So, you need cover. Also, you need an experienced player there to help these guys out.

When Nasri and Fabregas go (they surely will, I think that's unquestionable right now), who will Wenger bring in?

I'll just slip a little off topic here for a second but, regarding Martin Kelly, my friend and I were jokingly referring to him as Matthew Kelly during the friendly against Valencia last weekend but the guy beside us seemed to latch onto it as if it was his actual name! Every time he done something with the ball or made a tackle, he's shout "Well done, Matthew!" :laughing:

It was funny for us, anyway.. :heh:

Whilst other teams are paying big money for big names, he hasn't.

Liverpool are paying big money for small names. :woops:

When Nasri and Fabregas go (they surely will, I think that's unquestionable right now), who will Wenger bring in?

I can't imagine those two leaving without players coming in, whether Wenger will have time to get who he wants in this window is questionable.

I just don't get the club at the minute, the end of last season was poisonous (on and off the pitch). When the club increase ticket prices, prices that are already astronomical and alienating fans and club. You expect business in the summer and we were promised it.

None of our faults have been addressed, we've performed average in pre-season and now on the eve of the season we're rumoured to be letting two of our best players go.

Football's a funny game, if we go out Saturday and put in a smashing performance and then buy two top players next week. I'll probably feel completely different about the season, but I'm not hopeful and that's the problem.

Liverpool are paying big money for small names. :woops:

Suarez is a pretty big name. The rest may not be World Class stars, but they have the potential to be. Except Downing. ;)

I can't imagine those two leaving without players coming in, whether Wenger will have time to get who he wants in this window is questionable.

I just don't get the club at the minute, the end of last season was poisonous (on and off the pitch). When the club increase ticket prices, prices that are already astronomical and alienating fans and club. You expect business in the summer and we were promised it.

None of our faults have been addressed, we've performed average in pre-season and now on the eve of the season we're rumoured to be letting two of our best players go.

Football's a funny game, if we go out Saturday and put in a smashing performance and then buy two top players next week. I'll probably feel completely different about the season, but I'm not hopeful and that's the problem.

From an outsider, a non-Arsenal fan, I'm not really all that surprised. You've needed a new goalkeeper for years now, you have Vermaelen in defence who can do well but I think you need another defender. And, up front, your main goal threat has been Van Persie who is very injury prone. They're not new faults, but they're faults that have been around for years and have failed to be addressed by Wenger. Clearly there are players out there who can fill these gaps. Hernandez, for example is somebody who could easily have gone to Arsenal and been a success.

Now, it's your midfield that needs addressing. So, what you're looking at is a big rebuilding process. This isn't good because many already see Arsenal to be in a stage of transition, when the truth is you've been in that stage for a good few years now.

I think the longer it goes on, the harder it will be for Arsenal to attract new players. It's pretty dire already, because if you do go after a big named player, will you have the money to pay inflated wage packets? That's where a club such as City will seem appealing to players. They'll follow the money.

It's pretty sad to see. I'd feel very frustrated if I were in your position because there are players on the market who can solve problems for Arsenal, but they're not being looked at. Antonio Valencia has been a big hit for United since he signed, but why weren't Arsenal looking at him? He's exactly what you needed, somebody strong, quick, consistent and somebody who can assist as well as score. What about defenders such as Hangeland? Were Arsenal in the market for Lukaku? They're not putting themselves out there as much as they should be, which is the worrying thing.

Although another defender wouldn't hurt, even if we get one in, he's not going to be first choice anyway. I'm completely happy with both Vermaelen and Koscielny as first choice and Djourou as first reserve. People forget that Vermaelen was the best defender in in the premier by a mile in his first season, so getting him back is almost like have a new signing. Obviously if injuries pile up then we're fucked as Squillaci is shit and can't expect too much from Miquel.

People can say what they want about Wenger, but he's no muppet, he knows the current team isn't going to compete in every competition. Obviously as a fan it's frustrating not to see the big names coming in but the window is still open for 2 and bit weeks. We've no need for a Valencia like player, we've got Gervinho and Walcott and now Chamberlain, who are all similar styled players.

If the team doesn't change at all come 1st of September then by all means, riot at the Emirates :heh:

Edited by Jon

so getting him back is almost like have a new signing.

Oh no Wenger's favourite phrase! If I hear that once more I might cut off my ears.

Although another defender wouldn't hurt, even if we get one in, he's not going to be first choice anyway. I'm completely happy with both Vermaelen and Koscielny as first choice and Djourou as first reserve. People forget that Vermaelen was the best defender in in the premier by a mile in his first season, so getting him back is almost like have a new signing. Obviously if injuries pile up then we're fucked as Squillaci is shit and can't expect too much from Miquel.

Vermaelen had a great first season, but it's a tiny bit disrespectful to say that he was "that much" better than both Ivanovic and Evra, who were both outstanding that season. Sooner or later, one of your defenders will get injured which is why you need a strong squad. If we relied on Vidic and Ferdinand all season, we'd be fucked. Which is why you need players like Smalling, or Evans, and recently Jones. Sometimes even that's not enough. We've had Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher play centre back! Anything can happen. Having two good defenders and one possibly ok one is not enough these days. Considering Arsenal will be competing in more than one competition.

People can say what they want about Wenger, but he's no muppet, he knows the current team isn't going to compete in every competition. Obviously as a fan it's frustrating not to see the big names coming in but the window is still open for 2 and bit weeks. We've no need for a Valencia like player, we've got Gervinho and Walcott and now Chamberlain, who are all similar styled players.

If the team doesn't change at all come 1st of September then by all means, riot at the Emirates :heh:

He knows the problems yet he has done very little to solve these problems. That is what people who are looking from the outside in are seeing. There is still time, but if the window closes and there's no significant improvement, then I really don't see how you can improve on last season.

You've got Gervinho and Chamerberlain now and it's only recently that Walcott has started to show what he can do. But, we've had Valencia for two years now. Why weren't Arsenal looking at players such as him then? That's the point I'm getting at. The likes of him and others such as Lukaku seem like they'd fit in well with Arsenal, so why aren't we seeing them being linked? Are Arsenal being linked with Sneijder? Even somebody like Van Der Vaart or even Arjen Robben could have done something special. Arsenal are a big club, no denying that. You'd expect to see them looking at these big players. At the moment you don't hear many names claiming that they want to move to the club. Surely that's a worry?

Vermaelen had a great first season, but it's a tiny bit disrespectful to say that he was "that much" better than both Ivanovic and Evra, who were both outstanding that season. Sooner or later, one of your defenders will get injured which is why you need a strong squad. If we relied on Vidic and Ferdinand all season, we'd be fucked. Which is why you need players like Smalling, or Evans, and recently Jones. Sometimes even that's not enough. We've had Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher play centre back! Anything can happen. Having two good defenders and one possibly ok one is not enough these days. Considering Arsenal will be competing in more than one competition.

He knows the problems yet he has done very little to solve these problems. That is what people who are looking from the outside in are seeing. There is still time, but if the window closes and there's no significant improvement, then I really don't see how you can improve on last season.

You've got Gervinho and Chamerberlain now and it's only recently that Walcott has started to show what he can do. But, we've had Valencia for two years now. Why weren't Arsenal looking at players such as him then? That's the point I'm getting at. The likes of him and others such as Lukaku seem like they'd fit in well with Arsenal, so why aren't we seeing them being linked? Are Arsenal being linked with Sneijder? Even somebody like Van Der Vaart or even Arjen Robben could have done something special. Arsenal are a big club, no denying that. You'd expect to see them looking at these big players. At the moment you don't hear many names claiming that they want to move to the club. Surely that's a worry?

To be fair Walcott has produced ever since he joined, he's just been annoyingly constant at picking up injuries. If we take a look back, how many big players have Arsenal every signed? It's not the way the club has operated for the past 15 years. They'll pay decent money for a player but they've never been a club to sign the world's best for inflated prices. It's always been bringing them in young or getting players perhaps well less known.

In respect to Vermaelen, the others may have matched his defensive abilities but i'd be surprised if any matched his goal tally. Obviously not a defining factor for a centre back, but always welcome anyway.

Edited by Jon