NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

Funny how Skrtel played every game last season, so I pretty sure he's not sharing with Agger the injury duties, we do need another defender mind. Also Kelly is looking good enough to fill Johnsons injury woes.

To be fair Walcott has produced ever since he joined, he's just been annoyingly constant at picking up injuries. If we take a look back, how many big players have Arsenal every signed? It's not the way the club has operated for the past 15 years. They'll pay decent money for a player but they've never been a club to sign the world's best for inflated prices. It's always been bringing them in young or getting players perhaps well less known.

He hasn't always been as consistent as he could be, but in fairness to Walcott it is often forgotten how young he really is. It feels like he has been around for a lot longer than his age suggests.

Wenger is pretty good in the transfer market for buying young players and perhaps selling them on for a tidy profit. The one I remember most is Anelka, going for 23 million after coming to Arsenal for half a million, or something. He's a good accountant in that respect, but whilst it's great selling players for a nice profit, is that really what the fans want? Arsenal are a huge club with a great history and they should be right up there competing with the best in the World.

It seems that these days in order to compete with the rest, you have to spend big. You can have an excellent youth system...but even Barcelona are splashing out ridiculous amounts of money on players like David Villa (40million last season) and this season Alexis Sanchez (26million). If they get Fabregas, that's at least 30 million there, so that's 50million+...for a team that already won the Champions League. Not saying for one second that every team should spend this amount of money, but just pointing out that the gaps appear to be growing in football between the teams that can spend big, the teams that can't, and the teams in the middle who dwell on that line. I think Arsenal are in the middle.

Wenger has a good philosophy but these days it will only get him so far. From what I know of this current Arsenal team and the players coming through, I don't see enough there to make it into the top four this season. Players are getting more and more expensive and football is becoming increasingly money driven. I just don't see who they have lined up in the transfer market as a replacement for Fabregas, and to a lesser extent Nasri. Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey are both young and I am sure that they will perform very well for Arsenal. But it's going to be a teething period if Wenger decides to stick with these players and not pick up some more for midfield. If Wenger sticks with these two (and the likes of Song) then the fans will have to set their expectations really low for the coming season and maybe beyond that. It's just not fair on current players like that.

In respect to Vermaelen, the others may have matched his defensive abilities but i'd be surprised if any matched his goal tally. Obviously not a defining factor for a centre back, but always welcome anyway.

Scoring goals is great and very welcome. But he's there to keep the goals out. Just had a quick look, Arsenal actually conceded four more goals in the season where he signed in comparison to the previous one before and lost 3 more games. Although that doesn't tell the whole story, of course. Just something to keep in mind. Arsenal did finish 3rd in his first season, compared to 4th in the one before.

Edit: *looks at post*

All this Arsenal talk makes me sick.

What Sexual Chocolate said, Skrtel played every minute of the PL last season.

Agger, when fit, is one of the best CBs in the league, I have no doubt about that. He's just injured alot, he only played 21 last season I believe. Aurelio is also really good, for a defender he is real quality on the ball. Him playing at centre mid a few times backs that up.

Funny how Skrtel played every game last season, so I pretty sure he's not sharing with Agger the injury duties, we do need another defender mind. Also Kelly is looking good enough to fill Johnsons injury woes.

I used wikipedia as reference, so apologies if I got it wrong. Just that previous 3 years he made 14, 21, 19 league appearances. Those are van Persie bad numbers.

In other news, van Persie, Vermaelen, Gibbs and Walcott declared fit for the weekend. Which is good news, we might have a semi competent midfield, even if it does accommodate Rosicknotey.

One thing I have to say about the whole Fabregas saga is the amount of respect i've lost for some of the Barcelona players. As if the constant crowing wasn't enough, you've now got senior players congratulating him on the move and celebrating it, when nothing has been announced.

Classless.

One thing I have to say about the whole Fabregas saga is the amount of respect i've lost for some of the Barcelona players. As if the constant crowing wasn't enough, you've now got senior players congratulating him on the move and celebrating it, when nothing has been announced.

Classless.

Fuck 'em, hopefully it'll be the last we hear from them.

I'm more disappointed in how little the reported transfer fee is. That is truly disgusting.

Fuck 'em, when it's hopefully it'll be the last we hear from them.

I'm more disappointed in how little the reported transfer fee is. That is truly disgusting.

Aye, still a tidy return on what we payed for him though :heh:

Looks like we're lining up Jadson from Shakhtar with some of the money. I've only seen him play a few times but he's impressed me with what i've seen.

Aye, still a tidy return on what we payed for him though :heh:

Looks like we're lining up Jadson from Shakhtar with some of the money. I've only seen him play a few times but he's impressed me with what i've seen.

I had some mad thought at work last night how I'd love to see us splurge money on Schweinsteiger. I guess that's what working at night does to you, you start thinking of the most unrealistic rubbish.

I had some mad thought at work last night how I'd love to see us splurge money on Schweinsteiger. I guess that's what working at night does to you, you start thinking of the most unrealistic rubbish.

I'd just be glad to see us sign someone with a bit of pedigree that costs a decent sum.

Classless.

It is very tasteless and classless. I'm reminded of that time where several players were putting that Barcelona shirt on him. After the World Cup, I think it was?

It's very disrespectful to Arsenal to behave like that. There's a professional way in which you go about a transfer, but Barcelona have been anything but that.

About players to go for: What about somebody like Edin Hazard? Just reading up his stats now, he scored 12 goals last season for Lille and has 10 assists. He's an attacking midfielder that can play either central or on the wing. He is also only 20 years old, so is young, but has represented the Belgian International Team. He also won Best Player of the Year in Ligue 1 last season.

If you're looking for a midfielder to score and contribute, whilst being young and very energetic, he is your man. The downside, Lille have already given you Gervinho, so I don't really know if they'll let another attacking player go. Also, not sure how much the fee would be.

I reckon Wenger will have a go for Hazard if we get a good sum for Cesc. It's been well reported he's put the feelers out but Lille set a very high price tag. But if we've got the funds, might as well get who you want.

I reckon Wenger will have a go for Hazard if we get a good sum for Cesc. It's been well reported he's put the feelers out but Lille set a very high price tag. But if we've got the funds, might as well get who you want.

As a United fan, I hope you don't get him. As I want him. :heh:

I could see him doing well at Arsenal. Seems like a natural replacement for Nasri, who is surely gone as well now.

There was talk of Eriksson from Ajax, with Dennis B being the number 2 there now, apparently he's been having a quiet word in his ear :heh:

Ramar you can maybe bring that skrtel comment back, he's out of the sunderland game tomorrow :)

My sources from the press are telling me that Roque Santa Cruz has been linked with a move to Celtic. Would be a fantastic signing if we could get him but there's no way we can afford the £50,000 a week wages!

My sources from the press are telling me that Roque Santa Cruz has been linked with a move to Celtic. Would be a fantastic signing if we could get him but there's no way we can afford the £50,000 a week wages!

Haha, 50 grand a week? Crazy. The guy scored no goals at all last season...And he only made 8 appearances. He had one great season in 2007-08 and that's it. 50 grand, my arse.

Sell Cesc and Nasri? No worries we've agreed to sign some 19 year old striker... :grin::cry::idea:

Link

Sell Cesc and Nasri? No worries we've agreed to sign some 19 year old striker... :grin::cry::idea:

Link

Could be this season's Hernandez.

You should sign Roque Santa Cruz. So Joel can learn from the best.

Pfft.

I'm waiting to see who Arsenal bring in before predicting where they finish. They'll have to bring in 2 special players to get anywhere imo.

Mata has apparently said a possible move to Arsenal is definitely off, also.

Aquilani is staying it seems, you can get jerseys with his name and number (15) on now. Happy to hear that. :)

Thought this was interesting, as people were talking about "Fergie Time" earlier, just flipped on Sky Sports and the "Premier League Preview" is on, showed some stats on goals from last season including that Stoke were the team with the most injury time goals last season, interestingly not Utd.

Also there's some newspaper talk here that Robbie Keane looks set for a move to LA Galaxy which I thought is a bit surprising.

From his international playing viewpoint I'd like to see him stay this is side of the Atlantic. Who knows how the Jet lag of travelling back forth from LA for international games might affect him. And we need him at his best to get to Euro 2012.

I wonder too would he then do like Beckham and go on loan to some European club when the MLS season is over?

Crap game, stay classy Barton and Steven Taylor..

*Song should have seen Red and Gervinho's slap was correct decision.

Barton is scum. There was no need for him to grab Gervinho. In a way I could kind of excuse Gervinho's weak slap as self defence/struggling against that thug.

Ah well, let's look forward to the next game, where we will no doubt have only five available players.

Barton was a dick/out of line, but Gervinho acting in self-defence? He was antagonised and reacted just how I'm sure Barton wanted him to. Silly boy that's all.

What happened with Steven Taylor?

Barton was a dick/out of line, but Gervinho acting in self-defence? He was antagonised and reacted just how I'm sure Barton wanted him to. Silly boy that's all.

What happened with Steven Taylor?

Nah Gervinho deserved to go, can't do that however weak it was.

Steven Taylor protested to the ref it was an elbow, then in the ESPN interview afterwards he was asked what he saw and refused to comment with "I saw nothing". Spineless cunt.

But it's ok, he's an honest pro.

I never saw the interview, saw the playacting by Barton and most of the second half, it was quite boring really. Expected more from Arsenal but thought Newcastle did as well as they probably will with their squad.