NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

@Retro_Link

The answer to your question will become clear if you take part in the side-fetch-quests.

Also, I had a good amount of trouble with 2 Lizalfos somewhere near the whole 'mine-cart-riding' section, because they kept pushing me off the platform into oblivion.

However, once I started to focus on how they moved and 'worked', they became much easier and I didn't have to resort to waggle.

I really had good experiences with Motion Plus in Skyward Sword, and I cannot imagine going back to traditional controls for a Zelda game. It would feel a bit like taking a step back in the series when it comes to control input.

The answer to your question will become clear if you take part in the side-fetch-quests.
Ah ok cheers, must not have come across that yet. I've done the soup delivery and other stuff at the bar, but not found another like it yet. Cheers.

Yeah there are definately some great things about the motion controls in Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword, but there are a few negatives that stop them being fully great.

COMPLETED!!!! :D

Overall, possible my second favourite Zelda game behind Ocarina of Time, not sure yet.

Honestly I thought the second half of the game with the Three Dragons and Levias was utterly brilliant!

Watching the Master Sword being created was pretty great!

There were some amazing moments and absolutely beautiful cutscenes, like when Link gives the Thunder Dragon the HUGE fruit from his tiny pocket. And the humerous cutscene with the canonball firing out of the Bird Statue and appearing to do nothing! :blank::D

And the scenes on the back of Levias were glorious!

Pretty cool/clever design choice going back to the Forest and finding it completely flooded aswell to mix things up!

I really loved the Zelda cutscenes during the end credits, really lovely touch telling her story, I just wish it had been longer.

Brilliant characters and bosses throughout.

Loved the relationship that formed towards the end between Zelda and Impa (even if it was obvious Granny was Impa)

- The Triforce!

I was expecting more than finding it in rooms the way you did and how each piece was small and just held aloft your head like 'you've found a piece of toblerone!'

I has thought during the game that you might venture into the sacred realm at some point, but nope, they seem to want to avoid doing this.

- Final section of the game

It did seem to all wrap up a bit quickly towards the end, and get a bit rushed.

Also I was expecting more from the end credits, like the formation of the foundations of Hyrule with Skyloft making it's way back down to the land and everybody started establishing a life beneath the clouds.

Also thought Zelda cared more about Link being with her than just 'what you gonna do now!' :p

- What was with the terrible framerate problems during the credits?!! Talk about mood ruining.

- I'm still two full hearts down, but I can't possible think where?!!

Didn't get one from Ghirahim, so I'm really confused!

I've scored 30 on the bamboo game which broke the record he wanted, do I really have to beat 47??? the score the gossip stone mentions? Impossible!!?

Also Playing the Harp in the Bar to got everyone to cheer like crazy, and got a 50 rupee... which I expected to be a heart piece... so is there a heart piece to get here, because I'm not sure I can play it any better! I don't like this minigame!

But that would still leave 6 to get!

Pretty sure I've found all the Goddess Cubes, but I might try flying around the skies (none are showing up on the map as unopened)

- Also what is Hero Mode?

Edited by Retro_Link

- What was with the terrible framerate problems during the credits?!! Talk about mood ruining.

- I'm still two full hearts down, but I can't possible think where?!!

Didn't get one from Ghirahim, so I'm really confused!

I've scored 30 on the bamboo game which broke the record he wanted, do I really have to beat 47??? the score the gossip stone mentions? Impossible!!?

Also Playing the Harp in the Bar to got everyone to cheer like crazy, and got a 50 rupee... which I expected to be a heart piece... so is there a heart piece to get here, because I'm not sure I can play it any better! I don't like this minigame!

But that would still leave 6 to get!

Pretty sure I've found all the Goddess Cubes, but I might try flying around the skies (none are showing up on the map as unopened)

- Also what is Hero Mode?

-The last two aren't actually Heart Pieces/Containers. There are two medals (which you probably have) that add one heart to your total, each.

-The bamboo minigame only gives you items and money (disappointing, I know). The harp minigame only gives you money (but I like it, personally)

-Hero Mode means that enemies and grass don't drop hearts. At all. Only potions and sitting can help you there. Also, the enemies cause twice as much damage.

Just remember that it erases your previous file, so copy it beforehand.

I was expecting more than finding it in rooms the way you did and how each piece was small and just held aloft your head like 'you've found a piece of toblerone!'

That was painfully lazy, I agree. For something as important as the triforce, it may as well have been an empty bottle you were holding up. Very very poor, Wind Waker would have given it a proper fanfare it'd deserve. The empty room it was in was pretty disappointing as well, especially since Link's head blocks the thing from view when you first enter. Rubbish, and clearly rushed implementation.

I think newer Wii consoles didn't suffer from frame rate issues. I've still got mine from launch and it was horrible during the end credits and most of the time-shift stuff.

-The last two aren't actually Heart Pieces/Containers. There are two medals (which you probably have) that add one heart to your total, each.

-The bamboo minigame only gives you items and money (disappointing, I know). The harp minigame only gives you money (but I like it, personally)

-Hero Mode means that enemies and grass don't drop hearts. At all. Only potions and sitting can help you there. Also, the enemies cause twice as much damage.

Just remember that it erases your previous file, so copy it beforehand.

Hmm... now I'm wondering whether I'm actually carrying one of those medals, in which case I'd have 4 heart pieces to find! I'll have to check this!

But if they're not from the bamboo place and bar then I'd have no clue.

Yeah playing the hard in the bar is pretty fun, I just found it difficult to remember the exactly how it went during the parts where the audience stop and start again.

Yeah that's why I didn't progress with Hero mode as I didn't want to overwrite my file. I already have two copied games, one before you start the Levias/Dragons stuff, because I'd like to play through and watch that part of the game again; and one saved before the completeing the Triforce cutscene/final Ghirahim battle.

I think newer Wii consoles didn't suffer from frame rate issues. I've still got mine from launch and it was horrible during the end credits and most of the time-shift stuff.

This was one only time I did have any framerate issues which made it really puzzling because there didn't seem to be any reason for it, it's only panoramic images and text!

What do you class as the time-shift stuff? The stones, or going back and forth through the portal? If it's happening in game that's dissapointing!

Hmm... Here's a few you might've missed...

-Back at the Sea of Sand, the Goron in one of the islands owns a minigame (It took me forever to realize this). The best reward is a Piece of Heart.

-There's a bomb-able wall in Faron Woods. I only saw it when replaying one of the trials, by luck.

-Fun Fun Island, getting the 5 hoops and landing correctly

The time shift animations with the bubble growing and the land changing had severe frame rate issues for me which really ruined the effect :( most people didn't suffer from it though but I do think it's down to how old your console is.

My Wii is a 2008 one. I'm amazed some people didn't get slowdown on the timeshift stones, as mine slowed to a crawl! How odd. I also got less pronounced slowdown when fighting enemies, particularly the Lizalfos.

I can't think of any in-game slowdown, I don't think the rising land animations with the timestones or battle caused any that I noticed. But yeah during the credits all the Zelda stuff was fine, but the sweeping shots of all the places I'd been were terrible and also looked a lower quality altogether!

Hmm... Here's a few you might've missed...

-Back at the Sea of Sand, the Goron in one of the islands owns a minigame (It took me forever to realize this). The best reward is a Piece of Heart.

-There's a bomb-able wall in Faron Woods. I only saw it when replaying one of the trials, by luck.

-Fun Fun Island, getting the 5 hoops and landing correctly

Pretty sure I've got the last two you mentioned; I too think I also found that bombable wall on a trip back, and I know I've done the sky diving.

However, I think you're on to something with that Goron... I'm not even sure I can remember a Goron out to sea so that's probably worth an explore.

You've also just reminded me of the Goron 'Minesweeper' game halfway up the mountain... does that have a heart piece? If so is it the hardest difficulty? I couldn't really be bothered with that game at the time, but forgot to go back to it!

Just to make sure...

I have an empty heart shaped item on my inventory screen, I genuinely never noticed it before because I very rarely ever went into it/turned the page... but I presume that is telling me I'm four heart pieces down?

That you can get the Hylian Shield in the game.

I KNEW I'd read some text in the game somewhere that mentioned 'the hardest shield' or something.

I turned down the Thunder Dragons challenge because I really didn't fancy doing a boss fight mode (as it sounded like it would be), so I didn't get it.

I'm glad I didn't actually, because I think the Goddess Shield is a far better shield story wise, given that Hyrule and thus Hylian Shields aren't even around yet! But I suppose it's an Easter Egg really.

Edited by Retro_Link

My Wii is a bit on the old side, but I didn't get any slowdowns.

You've also just reminded me of the Goron 'Minesweeper' game halfway up the mountain... does that have a heart piece? If so is it the hardest difficulty? I couldn't really be bothered with that game at the time, but forgot to go back to it!

Nah, that only gives Rupees, and it's completely random, so it's like a gambling game, really.

Also, methinks you should go check with Peatrice. Maybe when you found the second medal, that got sent to her.

Also, make sure you're not confusing it with the other Heart medal, the one that simply increases the appearance of random hearts

That you can get the Hylian Shield in the game.

Well, this is important, then: when the dragon offers you prizes, you don't get everything that came before. You only get the most recent thing he mentioned.

I wasn't tricked by his sneaky words, but many players were.

I KNEW I'd read some text in the game somewhere that mentioned 'the hardest shield' or something.

I turned down the Thunder Dragons challenge because I really didn't fancy doing a boss fight mode (as it sounded like it would be), so I didn't get it.

I'm glad I didn't actually, because I think the Goddess Shield is a far better shield story wise, given that Hyrule and thus Hylian Shields aren't even around yet! But I suppose it's an Easter Egg really.

Just to make sure...

I have an empty heart shaped item on my inventory screen, I genuinely never noticed it before because I very rarely ever went into it/turned the page... but I presume that is telling me I'm four heart pieces down?

My Wii is a bit on the old side, but I didn't get any slowdowns.

Nah, that only gives Rupees, and it's completely random, so it's like a gambling game, really.

Also, methinks you should go check with Peatrice. Maybe when you found the second medal, that got sent to her.

Also, make sure you're not confusing it with the other Heart medal, the one that simply increases the appearance of random hearts

Well, this is important, then: when the dragon offers you prizes, you don't get everything that came before. You only get the most recent thing he mentioned.

I wasn't tricked by his sneaky words, but many players were.

By inventory screen, I meant whatever you call the thing that comes up when you press the 1 button.

Next to my +900 Rupee Wallet is an empty heart, which I'm guessing is where the four heart containers go as you build a heart piece?

---

About the Dragon...

So how does this work? I play through the boss battles and he offers me a prize at the end which you can accept or decline? or?

Pretty damn cool!!

But difficult right?...

At least the first attempt was because I used up by 1 ++Potion fighting Ghirahim trying to work out exactly what I needed to do.

*One complaint I would level at the motion controls is I think it makes switching between sword and shield difficult to do fast.*

*Also switching from swinging frantically to break Ghirahims sword to them having to stab his chest sometimes didn't seem to register*

Anyway, so by the time I'd beat him I only had 2 Fairies because I didn't know it would go straight into another final boss quite like that.

And really the first time I fought Demise I didn't really get it!

Restarted and beat him on the second go though! :D

Demise was one damn intimidating force!

Charging your sword with lightning was inspired! And the water arena was awesome!

You're asked whether you want a prize or to continue fighting after every battle.

By inventory screen, I meant whatever you call the thing that comes up when you press the 1 button.

Next to my +900 Rupee Wallet is an empty heart, which I'm guessing is where the four heart containers go as you build a heart piece?

---

About the Dragon...

So how does this work? I play through the boss battles and he offers me a prize at the end which you can accept or decline? or?

Pretty damn cool!!

But difficult right?...

At least the first attempt was because I used up by 1 ++Potion fighting Ghirahim trying to work out exactly what I needed to do.

*One complaint I would level at the motion controls is I think it makes switching between sword and shield difficult to do fast.*

*Also switching from swinging frantically to break Ghirahims sword to them having to stab his chest sometimes didn't seem to register*

Anyway, so by the time I'd beat him I only had 2 Fairies because I didn't know it would go straight into another final boss quite like that.

And really the first time I fought Demise I didn't really get it!

Restarted and beat him on the second go though! :D

Demise was one damn intimidating force!

Charging your sword with lightning was inspired! And the water arena was awesome!

Regarding the "inventory" thing, my answer was "yes". Everything else was just something else that occurred to me. Sorry for the confusion.

Magnus already answered the other part (you'll understand better once you start)

I know, right? :hehe: Those were such amazing segments.

I will admit I also died the first time, but then I realized I could've simply gone back up and sit for a while before proceeding with the Demise fight :heh: (You can still explore after defeating Ghirahim, after all. His 3rd form even appears among the dragon's boss challenge)

Demise is in a league of his own, in every respect. Graphical detail, different text boxes, looking like a Ganondorf/Akuma hybrid... What a beast.

And gotta love that both him and Ghirahim had Skyward Strikes, too. The fact that Ghirahim is the polar opposite of Fi (in every way) is fantastic as well.

I really liked the scale factor aswell; during the first part of the boss fight where you have to sword fight your way closer to him to deliver a body blow, Link is literally like half his size, and of course he's this absolute HULK!

Like I said earlier I thought the end of the game felt a bit rushed... you got very little time to see Demise and get to know the character; ok so you here about him, but it would have been cool if we could have witnessed some of it first hand and had him make some form of impact upon the land and maybe some of the characters and locations you'd experienced throughout the adventure.

I hadn't really thought about Ghirahim and Fi... you learn of Ghirahims true form so late in the game, that I hadn't really looked past him being Demise's sword. But yeah it's very cool actually, the spirit of Demise's sword venturing out to resurrect his Master. And how Demise pulls his true form out of him at the end before Ghirahim returns to the blade!

I think it'll give me a slightly different perspective if I were to play through it again, to read more into Ghirahim and what he's saying.

But yeah I think a bit more time was needed on Demise, even if just a cutscene of him causing some destruction, so that you really built up a hatred of him!

And the after credits should have also been longer with Zelda and the land.

Edited by Retro_Link

Glad you enjoyed the final battle @Retro_Link. It was one of my favourite parts of the game. :D

I totally agree about the lightning part where it strikes the sword. Added with the water arena, it felt like a total FUCK YEAH moment. Had a true end of the world feel to it. Glad the game ended on a high note because some of the boss battles in this are not that great.

The lighting was amazing, but I found there was a lot more tension in the Wind Waker final battle, the story built up to that confrontation really well, whereas the final battle in SS felt a bit empty (although the battle before it was good)

Yeah I'd agree with that. The ending and Demise's implementation just felt too rushed to feel truely epic.

I thought I'd found one in a chest I found I'd missed up at the second Volcano Temple, but it turned out to be another Bottle!!... 5 Bottles??

Anyway,

Do you get a Heart Piece from the Bug Collecting time-challenge? I hate that! and only did it as part of the side quest.

And also, is there one for doing the Spirit Realm Thunder Dragon challenge?... I've got the one from the Boss Challenge.

Otherwise I really can't think!

Yeah I'd agree with that. The ending and Demise's implementation just felt too rushed to feel truely epic.

It's the same with Twilight Princess, the battles themselves were great and epic etc but the build up just wasn't there, it all felt very rushed, even more so than SS.

Do you get a Heart Piece from the Bug Collecting time-challenge? I hate that! and only did it as part of the side quest.

And also, is there one for doing the Spirit Realm Thunder Dragon challenge?... I've got the one from the Boss Challenge.

Otherwise I really can't think!

No Heart Pieces there.

Near the entrance to the Fire Shrine, there's a Heart Piece you can only get after getting the Super Mogma Mitts. It's near a Gossip Stone. You might've forgotten to go back and check.

It's the same with Twilight Princess, the battles themselves were great and epic etc but the build up just wasn't there, it all felt very rushed, even more so than SS.

At least SS builds up the villain as existing from the very start. The only thing that's left for the end is his appearance. TP builds up a threat only to switch it for another one.

No Heart Pieces there.

Near the entrance to the Fire Shrine, there's a Heart Piece you can only get after getting the Super Mogma Mitts. It's near a Gossip Stone. You might've forgotten to go back and check.

At least SS builds up the villain as existing from the very start. The only thing that's left for the end is his appearance. TP builds up a threat only to switch it for another one.

Hmm, nope I made a note of that one and went back and got it straight afterwards.

This is getting tricky!!

This hunt for the last two heart pieces is getting rediculous!

It feels likes I've been EVERYWHERE now and I just can't find them!

I found 3 new blue/gold chests today!... I was so excited!! :D

And what was in them... 2x Dark Crystals and 1x Silver Rupee! :blank:

WTF!! WTF are they even doing in blue/gold chests!?

Is there definately not one associated with 'Minesweeper'?

The gossip stone next to it says you can get a 'rare treasure'... but is this literally just a treasure?

Minesweeper?

You mean the

Mine cart ride? Then yes there is one there.