N-Europe

Super Smash Bros. 3DS / Wii U

darksnowman

Roy was only in Melee to advertise the latest Fire Emblem at the time and Ike only replaced him in Brawl to advertise what was the latest Fire Emblem when that game was released, so I'd expect they'll replace Ike with whoever the latest fresh-faced guy with blue hair happens to be when the new game is out.

Probably that guy from the 3DS game. He has blue hair, right? :p

Correct, and Mewtwo was in Melee due to Gold/Silver, like Lucario in for Diamond & Pearl. As such, we're likely to have a Gen VI Pokémon replace Lucario in this

They should just have all these blue haired characters as alternate costumes of Marth, bring back Roy... and have other red haired characters as his alternate costumes. Although by the sound of it he's the only Red haired character in the history of Fire Emblem! ;)

You do know what the difference between a rapier and a broadsword is, right? :heh: Most of the blue-haired folk C.Falcon mentioned have a different style altogether (they fight on horse or use axes or use lances, etc.)

Eliwood (Roy's father) also has red hair, but looks and fights even more like Marth than Roy does :heh:

There's also the occasional turquoise, green, brown or silver-haired character among the protagonists, too

That said, those are only the main characters. The series has tons of other important characters (like Sheeda, the Black Knight and the Laguz) with differing fighting styles (and hair colours :heh:)

@Serebii: How did Mewtwo make it due to Gold&Silver? Dude doesn't even appear there. I thought it was 1st generation popularity?

They just need to replace the right Pokémon. Mewtwo should have stayed. Jigglypuff is different, but does anyone actually fight as her (other to complete single player)?... I highly doubt it!

Pikachu, Mewtwo, Squirtle and Charizard (not all under Pokémon trainer) would be great IMO.

Entei as a playable character would make all my dreams come true.

I'd also love Ash Ketchum but I know there are a lot of people who don't care for the TV show :p (and could he be used in the game or is he owned by the producers of the tv show? I don't know how that stuff works :P)

I just know I was fuming that they had all that Sonic music but no Pokemon music from the 2ba Master album

Edited by Josh64

They just need to replace the right Pokémon. Mewtwo should have stayed. Jigglypuff is different, but does anyone actually fight as her (other to complete single player)?... I highly doubt it!

Pikachu, Mewtwo, Squirtle and Charizard (not all under Pokémon trainer) would be great IMO.

I dunno, I liked Pokémon Trainer. What I'd like is a Pokémon Trainer character for each generation

I dunno, I liked Pokémon Trainer. What I'd like is a Pokémon Trainer character for each generation

That would be a bit excessive as it's not like they are all the same types come final evolution that they would even function as character swaps.

How about the ability to pick your 3 creatures from a selection instead?

That would be a bit excessive as it's not like they are all the same types come final evolution that they would even function as character swaps.

How about the ability to pick your 3 creatures from a selection instead?

No. Each generation should be represented :p

No. Each generation should be represented :p

So Sakurai wants to limit the roster and you want to add 15 more Pokémon to it? At that rate, there won't be any places left for Fox clones!!

I guess they could give every Pokémon Trainer the Landmaster Final Smash to make up for it though - just so the game doesn't completely alienate people used to Brawl.

I really hate the whole "own two consoles and two games to get the complete gaming experience from what is essentially one game".

I kind of want them to be completely different or ... I dunno... I can't come up with a way of working this which gets me excited rather than anxious about my bank balance.

I really hate the whole "own two consoles and two games to get the complete gaming experience from what is essentially one game".

I kind of want them to be completely different or ... I dunno... I can't come up with a way of working this which gets me excited rather than anxious about my bank balance.

Who says it'd be "to get the complete experience"?

Edited by Serebii

Who says it won't be "to get the whole experience"?

If Nintendo want people to have the best possible experience with the 3DS/Wii U compatibility of the new Smash Bros they'll release an official bundle where you pay like £60-65 for both games. Same with Monster Hunter 3. I'd buy the hell out of that bundle.

Hopefully retailers will have the brains to make that happen. My wallet will thank them.

----

My sad dreams aside, this game has the potential to be absolutely amazing.

It would be super cool if the alt. costumes for some characters were like... previous game versions of the character. Mario for example could have his original Mario Bros. sprite, the Mario 64 character model and of course some newer/updated Mario models from more recent games. It would also be great to have a Lou Albano Mario playable. Do you think that would be difficult for them to implement?

I dropped Brawl into the Wii for a brief play the other afternoon and holy shit the net code is terrible. Gameplay/roster gripes aside, the shoddy online was the one thing that completely relegates Brawl to shitty status for me. All the new Smash Bros. really needs is a playable online system. I'll be overjoyed with that simple accomplishment even if every fucking character is replaced with a horrible gen 36 Pokémon.

Well it's pretty obvious that people who own both games will be rewarded in some way, or have access to experiences that people who can't afford it don't.

The "complete experience" is a rare thing these days, unfortunately. Collector's Edition bonuses, pre-order bonuses, retailer-specific bonuses, console-specific bonuses, bonuses from toys and accessories and day 1 DLC.

It would be super cool if the alt. costumes for some characters were like... previous game versions of the character. Mario for example could have his original Mario Bros. sprite, the Mario 64 character model and of course some newer/updated Mario models from more recent games. It would also be great to have a Lou Albano Mario playable. Do you think that would be difficult for them to implement?

Genius!! I bow to your wisdom.

Because it's easy to forget what's already been said about the game...

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/super-smash-bros-next

Development Tidbits

◾Sakurai doesn't want to simply expand stages and character counts, or enhance the graphics and call it a day. That was one of the reasons he didn't simply walk away from a 3DS-based

◾Sakurai noted in a discussion with Satoru Iwata that in the past he has done all of the balancing personally. He plans to involve his staff much more for these future installments.

◾Currently Sakurai's thought process is focused on the notion that a portable experience is a more personal one. Only one player is likely to be using a portable system, and it might be interesting to allow that player to customize Smash Bros. fighters on the 3DS, which could then be brought over to the larger world of a home console Smash Bros. Sakurai's thinking is that an element of communication between the two versions will make both better.

Development

The Tekken team itself is not working on Super Smash Bros. 4, but instead Sakurai is picking the developers he needs from Namco Bandai's teams.

Namco Bandai Games has a prototype for Super Smash Bros Next created by the Smash team that "looks pretty good, and it's working great." One team is working on both the 3DS and Wii U versions concurrently.

Notable staff include Yoshito Higuchi, the producer and the director of the Tales series, Tetsuya Akatsuka, producer and director of Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs., the art director/sound director of the SoulCalibur series, and the main development team staff from the Tekken series.

Tekken characters may appear in the next Super Smash Bros. game, based on "fan desires". Masahiro Sakurai has stated his reluctance for Tekken characters to appear in Smash Bros. stating "I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena," he said. "However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down."

Namco Bandai's Tales series characters could potentially appear in Smash Bros. 4, according to director and producer Yoshito Higuchi. It's ultimately Sakurai's call.