NEurope
lostmario

What do you think Project Cafe's real name will be?

The console formerly known as Prince?

Jokes aside, that is an idea that I like, but I think it could be a bit too abstract for market appeal. The 'Nintendo' label would probably alleviate those issues, though.

It's not too bad an idea, though. The name Wii itself is kinda a symbol. Also, look at the McDonalds logo. People all over the world recognise it and know what they're getting. I'm convinced McDonalds could drop the name from their "restaurants" and just have the symbol, and it wouldn't affect them one bit.

Calling the console The Nintendo would be fine, and then having the symbol there as its "logo." Over time, you could ease back on calling it by its name and just display the logo.

I could honestly see it working. Symbols or images are very powerful things. I did a study about it for my dissertation. I remember discovering a fact along the lines of this: The majority of children under the age of 4 in America have learned to recognise the symbol for McDonalds before recognising their own name written down. Shocking, in many ways.

It evokes the sound of a child impersonating an ambulance.

I don't particularly care for the name, but whatever. "Xbox 360" was beyond awful but now it rolls off everyone's tongues and we all stopped laughing at Wii years ago.

Not keen but now it's too late. Anything with the similar 'ee' sound in it was good, because such a name forces you to smile as you say it(similar to what makes funny jokes/sounds etc), I guess Wii-U still has it, but the double syllable really takes away from the simple ease of it. It doesn't feel familiar or roll easy(U-Wii would even have been better), but at the end of the day, I don't think it's the worst thing, it cashes in on the original Wii name.

It evokes the sound of a child impersonating an ambulance.

I don't particularly care for the name, but whatever. "Xbox 360" was beyond awful but now it rolls off everyone's tongues and we all stopped laughing at Wii years ago.

That's possibly because it's just become 'three sixty' which is an often enough existing term as it is. Funnily I was gonna mention it in that last post!

I think "pee ew!" Like an exaggerated "what's that smell?"
Me too unfortunately. Stupid Nintendo and their names!

Should have just been Wii 2, or Nintendo.

:laughing: Technically, ok, TECHNICALLY, I was the closest in guessing the name! :yay:

I said NINTENDO Miina, which 'minna' means 'everybody, but altering the 'mi' part to 'mii' to make it more personal to each individual. Then NINTENDO goes and announces Wii (everybody) U (You = personal to each individual).

So the we have it, I wiin. What's my achievement? :D

And it must be just mii, but, I love the sound of Wii! Now WiiU? :love: (would've sucked if it were UWii, it's like ordering somebody "HEY, YOU WEE/PISS!!" :laughing: )

I said NINTENDO Miina, which 'minna' means 'everybody, but altering the 'mi' part to 'mii' to make it more personal to each individual. Then NINTENDO goes and announces Wii (everybody) U (You = personal to each individual).

So the we have it, I wiin. What's my achievement? :D

That's way too much of a stretch :heh:

I'm still not fond of the name myself, i think even Nintendo may have run out of ideas themselves.

"Right, what shall be call the new console"

"Ummmm, lets shove a "U" at the end of Wii, call it the WiiU"

I'll be saying it for the next 6 years, Wii U is not a machine the hardcore will buy. End of. And that's entirely down to branding.

In many ways, Nintendo needed to leave the Wii branding behind; sure go for something middle of the road - Nintendo On, Nintendo Air, even Nintendo U (Nu). This machine is incredible, that I have no doubt of - but naming it Wii is absolutely enough to put many core gamers off. I do understand their desire not to alienate their casual market but using the Wii moniker simply alienates the gamer crowd (yes, those people who actually go out and buy lots of games and drive profits); these guys won't buy into this console because of the branding; unless it is changed, third parties will have the same problem as now; no core gamers buying core games on the machine.

This is from someone who 'got' the Wii name and loved it. However, if the stated aim is to attract gamer and casuals alike, the name console desperately rethink; not just the name, the design of the machine and, dare I say it, the controller too.

I do not doubt that Nintendo have market researched this name to death - and probably found that Wii is a more recognisable name than Nintendo, but realistically, Nintendo could call it anything as long as they hit the ground running with established, recognisable IP - top sellers like New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart - games that are recognisable to the casual crowd and they will flock.

From what I have seen, I am absolutely in love with the device and its potential is phenomenal. Its the marketing; its a huge problem - and lets be honest, the term Wii has become a problem to gamers and publishers alike.

Are "core" gamers that fucking dense?

Those who want their brown, and their grey, and their shooters will most likely not buy anything that's Wii branded.

(I'm talking 15-year-olds + those who grow up one XBOX360 here)

and if you can now get, say, GTA V, on all 3 consoles, I don't think said people will bother with the extra awesomeness that is a tablet-like controller......

Casual iPad owners, .....now they might identify more with this thing:blank:

Edited by Fused King

...the first part...

I would've preferred a new branding and stuff at well. But you should say goodbye to the notion Nintendo will ever attract the "hardcore" market.

The reason they are still around is because they are Nintendo. And associated with Nintendo is Mario, Zelda and by now the whole Wii branding. They have nothing of their own to support the "hardcore" market, because that market looks at brands like Halo, CoD, GTA, Assassin's Creed etc.. But when they look at a new Nintendo console that puts exactly these things to the forefront, what do they see? They see a console that does nothing else than what their favorite machines already do. In short: a redundant console.

If you're going to really court that market, you have to impress them if you want to sell. How is Nintendo supposed to do that? Putting 3rd parties into the front and center of your platform? Not a good idea. Those people have no loyalty towards Nintendo. They go to the highest bidder / where the most mony can be made. That means: Everywhere! Why mutilate your sales with platform exclusivity?

And Nintendo can't simply pull a successful and accepted "hardcore" franchise out of their hat, no more than they can push the technical aspects of their system to the limit while still selling it profitably. Look at the Vita. The price is a steal for a portable PS3 - for a reason! Profitable within three years? Three years of selling Nintendo's console at a loss might do Nintendo in, if things don't go as well. So that rules out technical competition, too.

Look at the positives:

From what I have seen, I am absolutely in love with the device and its potential is phenomenal. Its the marketing; its a huge problem - and lets be honest, the term Wii has become a problem to gamers and publishers alike.

You are excited. A lot of people got excited for the Wii. Many people are excited by tablets. Nintendo franchises have a huge appeal to all ages. Nobody can say that the Wii audience wouldn't buy large 3rd party "hardcore" franchises with movie-like qualities, because these franchises were just not available on the Wii. Maybe not all is lost. ;)

One thing is absolutely important though: Nintendo has to do a better job of communicating, that this is not merely a new controller for the old Wii.